Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Meh, two starts isn't much to go on. So, I'll wait and see. Now, that said, it was still a stupid trade considering that 2nd round pick could have gone to much better use and the fact we could have made a run at him during the off-season.

Exactly, and used that 2nd to get depth at forward for the playoffs.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
1.5M isn't going to make or break the Avs' Cap Situation...and if worse comes to worse they can put him in the minors and something like 900K will be saved against the Cap...so in essence he'll be making the League Minimum according to the cap situation if that ever happened.

Yes he was not good last night, but he's also going to be working hard and I'd like to give him the offseason to work with Allaire and to work with our coaching staff and see how he does coming into Training Camp next year.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
1.5M isn't going to make or break the Avs' Cap Situation...and if worse comes to worse they can put him in the minors and something like 900K will be saved against the Cap...so in essence he'll be making the League Minimum according to the cap situation if that ever happened.

Yes he was not good last night, but he's also going to be working hard and I'd like to give him the offseason to work with Allaire and to work with our coaching staff and see how he does coming into Training Camp next year.

He better be white as an egg from practicing all summer. If I see him tanned in september I'm going to be pissed, :laugh:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think we can all agree it was a very weird trade. Avs had plenty of options in terms of backups, and Berra could have been had as a free agent. Why waste a 2nd rounder to get him at the deadline?

What kinda disturbs me is that his numbers in Europe aren't spectacular either. Obviously I have no idea how good or bad the team was in front of him, but I'm still looking for some reason apart from one decent Olympic performance and the word of Allaire that this guy is worth it.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I think we can all agree it was a very weird trade. Avs had plenty of options in terms of backups, and Berra could have been had as a free agent. Why waste a 2nd rounder to get him at the deadline?

Avs have had a tendency to do this quite a lot. They lock into players they want, and then end up paying a premium to get them. So far it has worked out with Varly and Talbot. Hopefully this one does as well. I wonder how different things would be if they had landed Scrivens when they had the chance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The thing I'm holding onto is the fact that Hartley, Allaire, and Roy all thought this guy could be good. He's either gonna prove them right or he's managed to dupe some (IMO) pretty astute hockey minds.

Yup this is way too early to judge him for his career. I've seen him play in Flames and he was never this bad, I wonder if those months off before a game is affecting him?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Avs have had a tendency to do this quite a lot. They lock into players they want, and then end up paying a premium to get them. So far it has worked out with Varly and Talbot. Hopefully this one does as well. I wonder how different things would be if they had landed Scrivens when they had the chance.

From what they've said, I feel like what happened was that Scrivens was definitely their #1 target but they took too long in pulling the trigger and he got shipped off to the Oilers and signed, so they scrambled and decided to go with the #2 guy on Allaire's list, Berra.

I really wish they'd gotten Scrivens, he would have been that perfect backup who could reliably relieve Varly for 20-ish games and win 60-80% of them, without giving fans a minor heart-attack every time the other team took a shot on goal.

Easily would have been worth that 2nd rounder + something small (lower-tier prospect, low pick) instead of it being (seemingly) wasted on Berra.

Scrivens right now is what they hope Berra could someday be.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
From what they've said, I feel like what happened was that Scrivens was definitely their #1 target but they took too long in pulling the trigger and he got shipped off to the Oilers and signed, so they scrambled and decided to go with the #2 guy on Allaire's list, Berra.

I really wish they'd gotten Scrivens, he would have been that perfect backup who could reliably relieve Varly for 20-ish games and win 60-80% of them, without giving fans a minor heart-attack every time the other team took a shot on goal.

Easily would have been worth that 2nd rounder + something small (lower-tier prospect, low pick) instead of it being (seemingly) wasted on Berra.

Scrivens right now is what they hope Berra could someday be.

The only real issue with Scrivens is that i doubt we could have retained him. He is good enough that I think he would have left for a starting or co-starting gig somewhere else.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The only real issue with Scrivens is that i doubt we could have retained him. He is good enough that I think he would have left for a starting or co-starting gig somewhere else.

Maybe, who knows if he'd much rather contribute to a winning team playing 25 games than playing 40-50 games for the Oilers.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What's toughest to watch for me is that, for a big guy, he leaves an awful lot of net wide open.

Bigger you are, the bigger your holes can be. Sometimes being a 6'4+ goalie isn't all it's cracked up to be.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I think that too, Scrivens might have said no to an extension knowing he'd have no shot at #1. Remember when Roy said they wouldn't have traded for someone they knew they couldn't sign, that might be part of it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I get that you've taken the village buzzkill/skeptic/contrarion mantle in AB's absence, but come on now. There is literally no way for this contract to become a "real thorn in the Avs side".

I think I'm pretty fair for the most part, I don't go out of my way to give criticism (maybe Mitchell because he frustrates the hell out of me) or fart rainbows.

If I changed that to "a bit of a thorn in the Avs side" would that make you feel better? Or a potential nuisance? You really gonna get hung up on thorn in the side?

I clearly added the part "if he can't figure out a way to solidify his game" so I don't know why you think that statement is so far out of bounds. If he can't, it's "literally" going to be a minor issue.

They'll have to give him a shot to begin with, and if he keeps playing like this, they'll be in a bit of a bind. They'll have to demote him, keep $500k against the cap, and look for a brand new backup. Sounds like a bit of a thorn in the side to me. Or maybe I should say nuisance?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Are we really worrying about 1.5 million against the cap, with a goalie who has played 70 minutes in an Avs uniform? At this stage in the season?

Give the guy a summer with Allaire, a training camp, some exhibitions, and then a guaranteed spot and he is probably a much better goalie.

No reason to worry yet. Have the Avs pro scouts taken a swing and missed yet in any trade?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Are we really worrying about 1.5 million against the cap, with a goalie who has played 70 minutes in an Avs uniform? At this stage in the season?

Give the guy a summer with Allaire, a training camp, some exhibitions, and then a guaranteed spot and he is probably a much better goalie.

No reason to worry yet. Have the Avs pro scouts taken a swing and missed yet in any trade?

The concern is rather that they have to give him a shot based on his contract, and that he might not play well.

There's no reason to map out his career as being a failure, but there's definitely cause for a bit of concern given how poorly he's looked the last two games. I don't think someone is being truthful if they say they're not at least a little concerned. The backup position is an even bigger concern IMO than before they traded for him.

Doesn't mean he can't play well next year, he certainly can.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Lets write-off a guy who looked decent where ever he played because of two bad games, of which the 2nd came after he didn't play for weeks.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lets write-off a guy who looked decent where ever he played because of two bad games, of which the 2nd came after he didn't play for weeks.

Cause for concern does not = writing off.

Secondly, he has not looked good every where he's played. He's had pretty poor numbers most everywhere he's played that wasn't a short tournament. There is plenty to be mildly concerned with him as the Avs backup.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4973

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Decent shouldn't cut it anymore, the Lacroix era is over. Fans should demand at least pretty decent. ;)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Biel wasn't a good team (that's being really generous towards them) when he was there and do we really have to say all that much about Calgary? Francois Allaire (probably the best talent evaluator of all time when it comes to goalies) thinks he'll be a good one and I don't see a reason to doubt him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

The problem is that the way the Avs defense is constructed, "decent" goaltending won't equal victories - let alone what Berra has shown in his (very brief) playing time. The Avs need damn good goaltending.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The problem is that the way the Avs defense is constructed, "decent" goaltending won't equal victories - let alone what Berra has shown in his (very brief) playing time. The Avs need damn good goaltending.

I'm aware of that and I'm pretty sure everyone in the organization knows that too. I'm also pretty sure they'll try to upgrade the defense as soon as possible, come to think of it if you believe the rumors they already tried that before the deadline, but they couldn't close the deal. We have to be patient, it's not easy to fix what PL and company did and it will take a bit more than one season to do so.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I would hope so, and I'm wondering when Young will get a contract as well. Or at least an ATO. Unless he already has and I'm way out of the loop?

Young seems to be finishing up his degree at Yale before signing and playing. That piece of paper is worth money too, and Coach C hasn't been playing most of the kids who signed ATO's, so there was little point in having Young join LEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad