Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Need some depth to protect against a Tanguay injury but I agree, he's not going anywhere. Nor should he. He was a perfect fit with Stastny/Landeskog and looked great before the injury.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I'm not confident with the thought that Tangs is going to make it through a full season and they shouldn't be banking on that. But if they have a solution for that and injury depth, perhaps actually being ok with using someone from Lake Erie, then I'm ok losing PA.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meh. Can't imagine he'd have many teams knocking down his door. Wouldn't be much of a loss either way.

Actually I'd be extremely surprised if he didnt get claimed.

Despite most of us Avs fans looking to him as a whipping boy this season, he has actually been quite good for us.

24 Pts, in 51 Games, including 10 Goals, and a +12. Signed for only 600K. I bet every team in the league would have interest in the guy if he hit waivers.

I mean, that's almost a 40 Point pace, and +12 is nothing to laugh at either. Only Barrie has a higher +/- on the team among Dmen.

I said this a couple of months ago, but he has honestly developed his game to the point in which he could become a #4 Dman for us. His Offensive game is already there, his Defensive game is all that needs work still, but it has improved.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Was Trevor Daley's name thrown around at some point as a potential trade target? He's been logging big minutes for Dallas down the stretch.

Huis Clos*

Despite most of us Avs fans looking to him as a whipping boy this season, he has actually been quite good for us.

24 Pts, in 51 Games, including 10 Goals, and a +12. Signed for only 600K. I bet every team in the league would have interest in the guy if he hit waivers.

I mean, that's almost a 40 Point pace, and +12 is nothing to laugh at either. Only Barrie has a higher +/- on the team among Dmen.

I said this a couple of months ago, but he has honestly developed his game to the point in which he could become a #4 Dman for us. His Offensive game is already there, his Defensive game is all that needs work still, but it has improved.

Plus/minus is an atrocious stat and tells me nothing about his defensive ability. And of the Avalanche defenseman only Johnson scores a higher percentage of points on the PP. So, yeah he's got some offensive ability, but a large chunk of that comes from the PP and cheating in the offensive zone. He needs to make massive gains in the skating department and his defensive zone coverage and decision making to even begin calling him a top four defenseman. He's a number six that can give you second unit PP minutes.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Need some depth to protect against a Tanguay injury but I agree, he's not going anywhere. Nor should he. He was a perfect fit with Stastny/Landeskog and looked great before the injury.

I always figured that Tanguay would eventually find his way onto a line with MacKinnon.

I remember the season right before he got traded, Tanguay was producing at a monster clip on the 3rd line and even turned Lappy into a 20 goal scorer! That is where is starts to get interesting for the Avs, since Mack is much more used to the game now then he was at the beginning of the season.

RoR-Duchene-McGinn
Lando-Staz :toothless-Parenteau
Tanguay-Mack-Talbot <- sneak attack line
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy

When everyone is healthy, good luck defending that!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Holden's #1 skill is his ability to read his defender in the offensive zone. When that defender gets lazy or doesn't pay attention for a split second, Holden is great at taking advantage of that. I actually think his offensive zone IQ is really, really high. If he could improve his first step acceleration and sideways mobility, he could be a quite solid defender. Under Roy he is starting to live up to the potential the CBJ thought he had as a late bloomer when he was signed out of juniors.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Patrick Roy interview this morning on the fan was absolutely AWESOME!!!! Can't miss stuff!!! They had to edit out an S bomb

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Holden's #1 skill is his ability to read his defender in the offensive zone. When that defender gets lazy or doesn't pay attention for a split second, Holden is great at taking advantage of that. I actually think his offensive zone IQ is really, really high. If he could improve his first step acceleration and sideways mobility, he could be a quite solid defender. Under Roy he is starting to live up to the potential the CBJ thought he had as a late bloomer when he was signed out of juniors.
He needs to go to the same power skating coach Bordeleau went to a couple years ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There is something kind of crazy that happened with the Springfield Falcons last year. Their opening night defense was: Holden, Erixon, Prout, Savard, Moore, and Goloubef. All 6 have played in the NHL this year, and 4 of the 6 have earned regular NHL spots (Prout, Moore, Savard, and Holden). That excludes the one player with the most upside in Erixon. The Avs need to entice former Av Nolan Pratt to coach in Lake Erie... my goodness he has done an awesome job of developing defensemen in Springfield (former Av Brad Larson is the Head Coach there).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There is something kind of crazy that happened with the Springfield Falcons last year. Their opening night defense was: Holden, Erixon, Prout, Savard, Moore, and Goloubef. All 6 have played in the NHL this year, and 4 of the 6 have earned regular NHL spots (Prout, Moore, Savard, and Holden). That excludes the one player with the most upside in Erixon. The Avs need to entice former Av Nolan Pratt to coach in Lake Erie... my goodness he has done an awesome job of developing defensemen in Springfield (former Av Brad Larson is the Head Coach there).

Interesting stuff.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

It has gotten somewhat better, but Holden's a 3rd pairing defenseman with a single very above average skill: the knack of when to pinch in towards the far post when his team has possession in the offensive zone. That's really where his goal totals are coming from. He's wholly average at best in about every other aspect of NHL blue line play.

The Avs don't need more of guys playing in pairings above where they should be playing. Holden/Guenin are 3rd pairing guys. Let's leave them there and find a legit 2nd/1st pairing defenseman.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That replay they showed of him last game kinda shows what he does. He does kind of a clockwise loop from the left point, either to throw the RWer off, or to see if he gets on his radar. Then when he completes his clockwise loop he sneaks down if the RWer is still focused down low.

Usually guys kinda stand stationary at the point, and then sneak in, but he's circling around back there. Seems to work every time too.

It kinda makes sense too. It's almost as if you feel comfortable as the forward if you just caught a glimpse of him. But if they're stationary behind you, and you haven't seen them in a while as you watch the puck, you start to get nervous that they're sneaking down low, and you turn and catch them in the act. By circling around like that, he makes the forward feel comfortable to watch the play down low for another few seconds while he jumps in the play behind them.

I think the loop also might make them think he's going more towards the middle of the ice, so they ignore the left point even more as they watch the play, which is where he sneaks in from after his loop.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That replay they showed of him last game kinda shows what he does. He does kind of a clockwise loop from the left point, either to throw the RWer off, or to see if he gets on his radar. Then when he completes his clockwise look he sneaks down if the RWer is still focused down low.

Usually guys kinda stand stationary at the point, and then sneak in, but he's circling around back there. Seems to work every time too.

It kinda makes sense too. It's almost as if you feel comfortable as the forward if you just caught a glimpse of him. But if they're stationary behind you, and you haven't seen them in a while, you start to get nervous that they're sneaking down low, and you catch them in the act. By circling around like that, he makes the forward feel comfortable to watch the play down low for another couple seconds while he jumps in the play behind them.

I'm pretty sure that is a part of Roy's system, almost all of the defensemen do it (Sarich and Guenin less so). The point men are almost never stationary, then once the other team's high forwards lose focus or get out of position, the point men pinch. Holden just tends to be very good at reading the play (EJ and Barrie are as well). I think each player has their own way of doing it, and Roy gives them that freedom to be creative.

On that note... I can't imagine how fun it would be to play under Roy. If you do your job and work hard, you have a lot of room for creativity. I think after I turned 13, all my coaches forced structure and took creativity out of that game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm pretty sure that is a part of Roy's system, almost all of the defensemen do it (Sarich and Guenin less so). The point men are almost never stationary, then once the other team's high forwards lose focus or get out of position, the point men pinch. Holden just tends to be very good at reading the play (EJ and Barrie are as well).

They move around, but more left to right, or an arc from the right point to the left point and then sneak in. I haven't noticed them do that complete loop from the same side as much before sneaking in. I think that's more Holden's thing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They move around, but more left to right, or an arc from the right point to the left point and then sneak in. I haven't noticed them do that complete loop from the same side as much before sneaking in. I think that's more Holden's thing.

My edit covered that a bit... I think Roy lets them do their own thing out there, but that is a part of the gameplan with movement at the points.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My edit covered that a bit... I think Roy lets them do their own thing out there, but that is a part of the gameplan with movement at the points.

Roy seems to have an absolutely perfect approach for everything. He somehow manages to be a very player friendly coach, while not giving off the perception that they can do whatever they want. They know how he wants them to play, and that's what they do. He accepts their mistakes, but he doesn't ignore them like many players coaches. He works with them on what they need to do, and you can tell from the way he says things, they're not just going to roll off the backs of players when they hear it, they will say "ok" and mean it.

Every button he's pushed so far has worked, and he's handled them all differently. From EJ, to Duchene, to Varly, to Barrie, to Holden/Guenin, and even Landy by letting him kind of do his thing on his own as captain. Almost ignoring him to a certain extent for most of the year.

There isn't one player that has performed below expectations. Everyone has either matched or exceeded expectations, and that is very rare. A couple close calls like Benoit in the 2nd half of the season, or Sarich but he's kind of playing at the original expectation based on his age and play last year.

To top off knowing how to handle each and every different personality as a coach, he's implemented an outstanding system, and adjusted extremely well to each team he's played, many times making great adjustments between periods to their style.

And his passion just oozes from behind the bench to the players during games. When he talks to them, he is totally engaged, making the players totally engaged in the game.

And this isn't even accounting for what a winner he is at every level. That seeps into the players as well. It sounds totally homerish because I'm an Avs fan, but he's just a rockstar of a coach. He has it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad