Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I love this. I had seats on concrete with the row in front of me on aluminum so when someone sat down the backs dug up into my knees. The team didn’t care and laughed in my face despite 3 inches of legroom. Great spot Loge 4 row 20 though I moved to Loge 22 (and regretted it due to playoff pricing) but it really really sucked. They made those seats Loge 3 now and technically center ice to sell them for more.

Arenas are designed to cram as many seats as possible into them to begin with you can’t add more what a joke they want to blame the contractor.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I love this. I had seats on concrete with the row in front of me on aluminum so when someone sat down the backs dug up into my knees. The team didn’t care and laughed in my face despite 3 inches of legroom. Great spot Loge 4 row 20 though I moved to Loge 22 (and regretted it due to playoff pricing) but it really really sucked. They made those seats Loge 3 now and technically center ice to sell them for more.

Arenas are designed to cram as many seats as possible into them to begin with you can’t add more what a joke they want to blame the contractor.
The Team laughed at you?

Sure...

Root

Feb 22, 2010
if they try to throw a local contractor under the bus for this shit show than that would be a huge f***ing joke. unless they are throwing the General Contractor under the bus (I believe a Fortune 100 or at least Fortune 500 Company)....that I can live with given their size. It's still not okay to do. But if they throw a local Subcontractor under the bus, that is rotten and low.

This is on TD Garden and nobody else...those seats have been partially installed since the spring. They knew what they were getting.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
There aren’t extra rows top to bottom I see 26 in the Loge and 15 in the Balcony as always so it should be just narrower seats. But they were not big to begin with. So them cramming more in is ridiculous any way you cut it.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
There aren’t extra rows top to bottom I see 26 in the Loge and 15 in the Balcony as always so it should be just narrower seats. But they were not big to begin with. So them cramming more in is ridiculous any way you cut it.

As you noted the number of rows did not change thus the width of the aisle did not change. The only thing that changed that impacts leg room is the seat design.

I'd like to know what the contractor error is. Did the contractor install the wrong seats that the Garden selected? Pretty unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It's definitely the seat design that's the loge issue. The backs of the seat are higher, and there's some curve to them, with the seat in front of you bulging out in the center. Depending on how staggered your seat is with respect to the seat in front of you, it could either force you to (wo)manspread if your seat is directly behind the seat in front so the peak is at your crotch, or it could force you to sit with your knees squished in the center if you're exactly halfway between two seats in front, meaning you've got a peak to your left and a peak to your right. Let's just say that when I sat in the loge for the first preseason game, I took one of the now-famous "OMG Garden legroom" meme pictures even before it became trendy.

I haven't really spent much time in the loge, but I assume the number of rows is the same. They have reconfigured a little bit of the entrys for some of the loge sections - for some of the central ones you now step UP into some of the entryways from the concourse, and start at row 18. Before, the vomitorium entered at row 15, and you had to turn back and step up to go up a few rows. That shouldn't be the driving force of the legroom issue - it's the seat.

Not really buying the contractor issue yet, especially with the balcony seats. Maybe they installed the seats at a bad angle in the loge. That's about the only "contractor error" issue that there could be - and, FFS, shouldn't the Garden have done a once-over on the seats once they were installed? I had to have my A/C fixed, and the dude didn't leave until I felt the fan running cold air.

I'm just thankful the media took to this story last week. I told my STH guy at renewal time that it was awful to get an 8% increase in price when the seat size would likely decline during renovations. Obviously, he couldn't (and didn't) respond to my concern about seat size at the time, which was February or March...but the fact that some idiot like me could see the renovation problems on paper without even looking at a chair should have been a red flag to someone at the Garden.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Only way it could be a contractor issue is if they did not order the seats that were specified BUT this is not a new arena with 10,000 submittals. The biggest job was replacing the friggin seats.

Or the architect specified the wrong seats and they are pushing their error down hill.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
the math doesn’t work like that. The width of the portion of the seat for your ass and the actual width of the seats footprint don’t have to be the same number. They didn’t just shrink the old seats, they are new seats with a different shape and design. I am sure there is some point on the width of the seat that is the same as the old one so they can use that stat. But that stat is no more accurate than saying 8%.

I'd say the arm rest are the same size based on my experience, the only variable left to change would be the bum room in terms of across the row... The arm rets have never been spacious and there's never been any gap between them.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd say the arm rest are the same size based on my experience, the only variable left to change would be the bum room in terms of across the row... The arm rets have never been spacious and there's never been any gap between them.

yeah I think Globe article said it was arm rest to armrest (inner). I think the armrests feel smaller which explains less room for my torso.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This fan solved the seat problem today

72726565_765326750597383_3091232535825350656_n.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was there Friday & Sunday catching trains. Of course I didn't get inside the Garden itself so I can't comment on the seat issue. I did go into the new Pro Shop, it's much larger and therefore a lot easier to get around in than the old one. Bought a new Bruins hoody and a Charlie Coyle t-shirt :thumbu:

I don't understand why they put a supermarket in there though :dunno:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That Banners place doesn't look too bad thats a big ole TV I wouldn't really want to leave it to sit in the Balcony lolololol.

Whats the ETA on the Bowling Alley?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was there Friday & Sunday catching trains. Of course I didn't get inside the Garden itself so I can't comment on the seat issue. I did go into the new Pro Shop, it's much larger and therefore a lot easier to get around in than the old one. Bought a new Bruins hoody and a Charlie Coyle t-shirt :thumbu:

I don't understand why they put a supermarket in there though :dunno:

@BMC - The people in the condos above buy groceries

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
North Station is also a major transportation hub. If I still worked in the city, I'd be psyched to be able to stop in and grab something quick I needed for dinner on the way home. Roche Brothers in downtown crossing does a good business for commuters as well.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

$52 for a "large format" cocktail pitcher for 4-6 people? Yikes. Buy some liquor from the packy, invite some friends to your place, and save yourself the risk of being stabbed, save some money, and save a DUI on your record.

I was pretty psyched when I heard there was going to be a place with $2-$3 slices of pizza, though. I'm skeptical that that's actually going to be a thing, but...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
$52 for a "large format" cocktail pitcher for 4-6 people? Yikes. Buy some liquor from the packy, invite some friends to your place, and save yourself the risk of being stabbed, save some money, and save a DUI on your record.

I was pretty psyched when I heard there was going to be a place with $2-$3 slices of pizza, though. I'm skeptical that that's actually going to be a thing, but...

The days where you have a better chance of being stabbed around Causeway St than you do in your own kitchen are long over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad