Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I was at Toronto Dominion Garden last week to pick up tickets and ProShop. Came away impressed with the new Causeway Street entrance which leads directly to the Loge level. Appears it could open soon.

Boy, how this area has been transformed from the seedy Old Garden and the equally seedy Manger Hotel, formerly Hotel Madison.

Thanks for the pics, Fenway and Alicat.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was at Toronto Dominion Garden last week to pick up tickets and ProShop. Came away impressed with the new Causeway Street entrance which leads directly to the Loge level. Appears it could open soon.

Boy, how this area has been transformed from the seedy Old Garden and the equally seedy Manger Hotel, formerly Hotel Madison.

Thanks for the pics, Fenway and Alicat.

15 years ago the CEO of McDonald's was in Boston with his son for a Bulls game and he went into the franchise across the street. The store was closed permanently the next day.

The real transformation began when the Central Artery and elevated subway tracks were demolished. Suddenly the area was quiet, almost too quiet. Then Jacobs finally built a real waiting room for North Station which made a huge difference getting into the arena.

I pinch myself every time I go to work there. It was amazing seeing the area around Kenmore Sq upgrade the past decade but what has happened at North Station exceeds it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So basically this will replace the old tunnel that was there before?

I hate crossing that intersection. I always feel like I'm going to get trampled or trample someone who isn't paying attention while crossing (aka tourists).
north-station-tunnel-1541682759.jpg

Reactions: Alicat

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
So what can we expect for the 2019/2020 season? New seats, new scoreboard, and the back row bar? expanding the concourses seems like a big job.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So what can we expect for the 2019/2020 season? New seats, new scoreboard, and the back row bar? expanding the concourses seems like a big job.

TD Garden Legendary Transformation | TD Garden

Looking at their press release, they say they're doing the new seats over the summer, which makes sense - not as big an undertaking as the Back Row Bar, or the expanded concourses. I almost feel like measuring a seat next time I go...just to see if they make the seats better or worse than they were before. TD Garden is one of the smaller NHL arenas in terms of capacity, so I'm suspicious of any changes to seats.

The back row bar and expanded concourses are listed under "starting next season". Doesn't say when they're ending. As an example, the new visiting locker rooms don't come until the 2020-21 season. They just did mostly cosmetic renovations over two summers...I want to say 2015 was the loge and 2016 was the balcony, but I may be off by a year. More space and more restrooms sounds like it would be significantly more labor than what they previously did - which is why I think they're basically shutting down July. (I could be wrong on this, but NKOTB plays 6/29, then nothing until Backstreet Boys on 8/14.)

But I agree, expanding the concourses seems like it should take some time - maybe it's not coming this summer, but the next.

Interestingly enough, no mention of the scoreboard, but I thought Fenway (or someone else) had mentioned that it was coming not next season, but the season after? Or maybe it actually was next season. You'd think a scoreboard is a pretty damn big deal, but they also could still be figuring out which scoreboard to go with. All I ask is they better have one fancy enough to display TOI and the jersey #s for the current players on the ice - like every other modern arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad