Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
TD Garden Seating Updates | TD Garden

"In the balcony, we found that the new plush cushioning, armrest design and overall ergonomics were contributing to discomfort.

Based on that, and the recommendations provided by seating consultants, we will be replacing balcony seats and armrests. The new seats, similar in size, will have a custom, narrower armrest and a non-padded seat base and seat back to improve legroom and comfort. "

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

"In the balcony, we found that the new plush cushioning, armrest design and overall ergonomics were contributing to discomfort.

Based on that, and the recommendations provided by seating consultants, we will be replacing balcony seats and armrests. The new seats, similar in size, will have a custom, narrower armrest and a non-padded seat base and seat back to improve legroom and comfort. "

Crap. The cushioning was the only thing that improved the new seats.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

That.... Does not sound like "improvement" o_O

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I didn't like the particular plush they had. It was thin, not really plushy at all like the 2018-9 Club seats, and raised my legs where I had to sit with the balls of my feet on the floor - but that's a Short Person Problem.

But they're NOT improving the seats in a meaningful way. I didn't think they would. They squeezed in an extra seat in my row, and it will (AFAIK) still be there. They're making armrests smaller. They're removing the one "upgrade" that they put in to the seats - plush.

I haven't seen a head roll. I haven't seen any meaningful outreach to STHs. And they eliminated one of the good perks of being a STH - the State of the Bruins, which they already weakened by shielding Jacobs et. spawn by removing them from questioning, and moving it to a matinee morning to eliminate any players answering question.

Of note, this is the first update they've given since October 17th or so. So...yay? Please clap.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I didn't like the particular plush they had. It was thin, not really plushy at all like the 2018-9 Club seats, and raised my legs where I had to sit with the balls of my feet on the floor - but that's a Short Person Problem.

But they're NOT improving the seats in a meaningful way. I didn't think they would. They squeezed in an extra seat in my row, and it will (AFAIK) still be there. They're making armrests smaller. They're removing the one "upgrade" that they put in to the seats - plush.

I haven't seen a head roll. I haven't seen any meaningful outreach to STHs. And they eliminated one of the good perks of being a STH - the State of the Bruins, which they already weakened by shielding Jacobs et. spawn by removing them from questioning, and moving it to a matinee morning to eliminate any players answering question.

Of note, this is the first update they've given since October 17th or so. So...yay? Please clap.

No, they did do an update in January when they fixed the higher price seats in the loge

Seating Update as of 1/17/2020: In October 2019, technicians completed a full modification to Loge seating sections, adjusting seat back angles to improve legroom. These changes were well received, with guests noting the improved space. We continue to share guest feedback with our seating installation and architect partners and it will be factored into our next steps. We will share updates as they become available.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
At this point the only satisfactory improvement is to put the old seats back and fire people for ineptitude.

jacobs1.jpg

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
No, they did do an update in January when they fixed the higher price seats in the loge

Seating Update as of 1/17/2020: In October 2019, technicians completed a full modification to Loge seating sections, adjusting seat back angles to improve legroom. These changes were well received, with guests noting the improved space. We continue to share guest feedback with our seating installation and architect partners and it will be factored into our next steps. We will share updates as they become available.

You're absolutely right - just after writing my screed, I checked back on the "seating update" page. Never received an email pointing me towards the update (probably because I'm balcony, not loge), but they DID have that minor update on 1/17. But really, all that update said was "oh, remember that update 3 months ago? Yeah, we did that. We're done with the loge. We think you like it."

The real shame is that the professional-grade nincompoops who approved this new seating are still working at the Garden, and that there are STILL significant changes that need to be made. Hello, ICE?!?! How many times does a Bruin need to be injured in front of the off-brand-Zamboni doors before we get ice that's not the worst in the league? Shameful for an O6 team where hockey is "in our blood". And, hello, scoreboard?!?! I assume TDBank is paying extra for advertising, since their logo is burned 24/7 into the circles above the outdated-for-at-least-five-years HDX.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I went to two games games at the united center Wednesday and Thursday and all their upgrades seem to enhance not subtract from the experience. Its hard to understand how a company who deals with arena’s and concessions like Delaware North can let all these problems happen at TD garden.The scoreboard and atrium at the united center is very impressive.
48A548FD-13AE-4BA7-ACE5-3C65131B8D14.jpeg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins and Garden get small businesses into the game - The Boston Globe

The building the Bruins play in against the Coyotes Saturday afternoon will not be renamed “Bay State Cruise Company Garden” but virtually everything else at TD Garden will belong to the local company as the Bruins and TD Bank do their part in recognizing small businesses.

For the third consecutive year, the two business partners will team up for “TD Bank Small Business” games this season.
One local small business — Saturday it’s Bay State Cruise Company, on March 28 it’s Day’s Jewelers — will take over TD Bank’s considerable corporate presence at the Garden.

Any TD Bank logo or presence on dasher boards, video walls, concourse digital blades, and LED fixtures in the arena will flash the Bay State Cruise Company’s name and logo, and the company will have use of TD Bank’s corporate suite as well.

The impetus for the donation came out of an annual meeting between the bank and the team as one way to jointly make a “meaningful impact,” said Glen Thornborough, chief revenue officer for the Bruins.

“It’s a wonderful promotion for both us and them that small businesses can get into the building and take over the assets with the presence that TD Bank has in a very meaningful way.”

In the previous two seasons, the small businesses that “took over” TD Garden were Agawam Crossing Dental, Heritage Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, and Electric, and SunBug Solar.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If you have installed the TD Garden app on your phone you need to delete it and install TD Garden Hub

The old app will NOT update

Official TD Garden Mobile App | TD Garden

I had a near panic attack last Saturday night - got sick, had to transfer my Beanpot ticket as part of a sale. Computer login to my TD Garden account didn't work - "transfer" option was greyed out. Finally, futzed around enough and figured out that you had to use your cellphone to do transfers. I much prefer to do this kind of stuff on my laptop, where I can type quickly, as opposed to my phone. I then panicked again, because it didn't pop up as transferred or accepted on one of my accounts when I double checked a few hours later. Either the Garden or the Hub account did show that it was awaiting a transfer, which eventually did seem to go through on the account...so I guess it worked. Haven't heard any complaints, and it's been a business week later.

Annoying that they're changing the app in the middle of the season - especially when the old app wasn't that old to begin with. I wonder how many people have figured out that they need the new one....or how many figured it out at the gates of the Garden.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Are the rest of the upgrades to the TD Garden postponed indefinitely due to Delaware north’s financial losses?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Are the rest of the upgrades to the TD Garden postponed indefinitely due to Delaware north’s financial losses?

According to Fenway everyone at the Garden is on furlough - that's (at least part of the reason) why Jack and Brick did the first round games from the NESN closet in Watertown as opposed to an empty Garden. It's probably also why the games in Toronto don't "sound" like TD Garden with Ron Poster playing "Bennie and the Jets" as the one Elton John song and "Subdivisions" as the one Rush song. Other teams have had the home organists play (probably prerecorded) clips on the giant new screens in the hub arenas - I noticed the Habs games sounded very Habby.

But because Garden is essentially locked up, they literally couldn't do any changes (ice and seating) even if they had the money and a plan - until they hire those workers back the Garden is locked, I assume. But Delaware North has surely taken a huge hit - so count on every effort to be made to mitigate that. Celtics have offered either full refunds for the cancelled 2019-2020 regular season games or a 10% credit towards next season (ie if you had $1000 in cancelled games you get $1100 towards your 2020-21 season) to any STH. Red Sox have something similar. Patriots have let STHs skip the 2020-21 season (which will probably be no fans in the stands anyway) but can reclaim their tickets for 2021-2022.

Bruins have announced NOTHING. Heck I'm doubtful that the 2020-21 season will happen (bubble like now or traveling like baseball) and it almost certainly would start without fans - and probably end without fans too. So in a sense they have some extra time to figure out how to fix everything wrong with the Garden. Will they do it - I kinda doubt it.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
According to Fenway everyone at the Garden is on furlough - that's (at least part of the reason) why Jack and Brick did the first round games from the NESN closet in Watertown as opposed to an empty Garden. It's probably also why the games in Toronto don't "sound" like TD Garden with Ron Poster playing "Bennie and the Jets" as the one Elton John song and "Subdivisions" as the one Rush song. Other teams have had the home organists play (probably prerecorded) clips on the giant new screens in the hub arenas - I noticed the Habs games sounded very Habby.

But because Garden is essentially locked up, they literally couldn't do any changes (ice and seating) even if they had the money and a plan - until they hire those workers back the Garden is locked, I assume. But Delaware North has surely taken a huge hit - so count on every effort to be made to mitigate that. Celtics have offered either full refunds for the cancelled 2019-2020 regular season games or a 10% credit towards next season (ie if you had $1000 in cancelled games you get $1100 towards your 2020-21 season) to any STH. Red Sox have something similar. Patriots have let STHs skip the 2020-21 season (which will probably be no fans in the stands anyway) but can reclaim their tickets for 2021-2022.

Bruins have announced NOTHING. Heck I'm doubtful that the 2020-21 season will happen (bubble like now or traveling like baseball) and it almost certainly would start without fans - and probably end without fans too. So in a sense they have some extra time to figure out how to fix everything wrong with the Garden. Will they do it - I kinda doubt it.
I can imagine the B's would loose a lot of fans without a full functioning MBTA. I don't think there is an effective way they can make the subway spaces around TD garden acceptable for social distancing after large events.

Last edited:
Reactions: talkinaway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad