Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Same here.....this is a case study in how to spend $100million on a project and in the process downgrade the fan experience

From the tacky lighting in the entry hall ( kind of 80's Vegas) to the new and more narrow seating to the constant deafening decibel level of music to the shop-worn recycling of helmet shuffle and hears comes the money the " new Garden" brings nothing new and exciting and a lot of moldy oldies.

And to be clear- I sit in the lower bowl ( the configured Section 7) so it isn't just the upper bowl that is going thru this change.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Same here.....this is a case study in how to spend $100million on a project and in the process downgrade the fan experience

From the tacky lighting in the entry hall ( kind of 80's Vegas)
And to be clear- I sit in the lower bowl ( the configured Section 7) so it isn't just the upper bowl that is going thru this change.

Yikes I forgot about the lighting in the gates area. Not sure what the thought process was for doing that.

How did you find the seating to be in Loge 7? I am in 9 and thought it was tight and uncomfortable.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I get some of the complaining, but I don't know...this looks kind of cool to me

I actually agree with you on this - 9 seems improved. Granted, peasants aren't allowed up on 9, but from what little I could see from my seat, it looks better than it was before. I think I've been up on 9 twice, and it was basically one row of folding chairs. Very un-fancy, and back then I was surprised it was part of the "Premium Club/Boston Garden Society". Looks like two rows all around? Not sure, because most of the fan seating is behind me - from where I sit, I see where the healthy scratches, Cam/Don, and Jack/Brick sit - although they look like dots to me.

At first, I thought one of the sections on 9 was exposed so you could almost accidentally fall off, but then got a closer look and saw there was a glass barrier. Still, I can see how a fear of heights would be bad for those seats.

I thought they were getting an upgraded screen? Blue line to blue line? Am I imagining that.

I thought the same too. Wasn't sure about blue-to-blue, but knew they were upgrading. I think Fenway said the new jumbotron is 4K, but nothing else has changed. The circular wrap-around rings above and below the screen are exactly the same - you can tell because TD Garden's ad is burned through them.

I don't know if this is their final upgrade for the HDX, but if it is, I'm underwhelmed. If it's not, then, frankly, I'm sick of the "shortened offseason" excuse. They had 13 extra games of revenue last season, including a once-in-a-century (on average) Game 7 at home. Throw a little bit of that money and get the upgrades done, and get them done right.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I actually agree with you on this - 9 seems improved. Granted, peasants aren't allowed up on 9, but from what little I could see from my seat, it looks better than it was before. I think I've been up on 9 twice, and it was basically one row of folding chairs. Very un-fancy, and back then I was surprised it was part of the "Premium Club/Boston Garden Society". Looks like two rows all around? Not sure, because most of the fan seating is behind me - from where I sit, I see where the healthy scratches, Cam/Don, and Jack/Brick sit - although they look like dots to me.

At first, I thought one of the sections on 9 was exposed so you could almost accidentally fall off, but then got a closer look and saw there was a glass barrier. Still, I can see how a fear of heights would be bad for those seats.

I thought the same too. Wasn't sure about blue-to-blue, but knew they were upgrading. I think Fenway said the new jumbotron is 4K, but nothing else has changed. The circular wrap-around rings above and below the screen are exactly the same - you can tell because TD Garden's ad is burned through them.

I don't know if this is their final upgrade for the HDX, but if it is, I'm underwhelmed. If it's not, then, frankly, I'm sick of the "shortened offseason" excuse. They had 13 extra games of revenue last season, including a once-in-a-century (on average) Game 7 at home. Throw a little bit of that money and get the upgrades done, and get them done right.

When I saw that the ribbons had not been replaced I knew then that my source at TD Garden was being honest with me.

Delaware North did NOT skimp on the new control room but they had to do it this year because of all the other work being done on Level 9. They are going with Mitsubishi Electric and they like the board in Chicago more than the one in Philadelphia.

upload_2019-10-13_15-7-8.png

bg.PNG

70612938_498964227627094_200683570971279360_n.png

What I also heard last night that the seat issue appears to be an error by the contractor so it could get very messy.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
When I saw that the ribbons had not been replaced I knew then that my source at TD Garden was being honest with me.

Delaware North did NOT skimp on the new control room but they had to do it this year because of all the other work being done on Level 9. They are going with Mitsubishi Electric and they like the board in Chicago more than the one in Philadelphia.

View attachment 264107

View attachment 264109

What I also heard last night that the seat issue appears to be an error by the contractor so it could get very messy.

Then the contractor needs to fix this and do so fast.

I’m tired of excuses and finger pointing. Just fix it.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008

Any details on what the
“error“ was. This gives me hope that the contractor will be forced to correct the issue but then that hope fades when it could take a period of lawsuits and assigning blame.

What I don’t understand is if this is contractor error why wasn’t seat installation stopped before getting the whole arena bowl done. They started installing the seats during the playoffs surely someone from the Garden was monitoring the installation? Sounds like someone on the Garden side has as much blame to take as the contractor.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Are there more board improvements incoming? I see in-game stats in Chicago - who's on ice, TOI. Really, that's all I'm interested in. Aside from replays and occasional plays in the corner, I watch the ice, not the screen, for action. I check the board mainly for SOG and time remaining in penalties/period.

I can buy the contractor being liable...to a degree. But, again, you can't tell me that a row of 12 seats in the balcony that already stretched from one vomitorium to the other can suddenly have 13 seats without some fairly adverse reaction from fans. There's no ergonomic seat that can mitigate that problem...unless you're installing these stand-up seats like airlines were threatening to do.

upload_2019-10-13_16-27-4.jpeg

Someone at the Garden signed off on the extra seats. They either got pressure from the Garden brass ("Hey, kid, we gotta get more seats in there!"), or the contractor ("Sure, we can get an extra seat in there, and nobody will notice!").

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are there more board improvements incoming? I see in-game stats in Chicago - who's on ice, TOI. Really, that's all I'm interested in. Aside from replays and occasional plays in the corner, I watch the ice, not the screen, for action. I check the board mainly for SOG and time remaining in penalties/period.

I can buy the contractor being liable...to a degree. But, again, you can't tell me that a row of 12 seats in the balcony that already stretched from one vomitorium to the other can suddenly have 13 seats without some fairly adverse reaction from fans. There's no ergonomic seat that can mitigate that problem...unless you're installing these stand-up seats like airlines were threatening to do.

View attachment 264129

Someone at the Garden signed off on the extra seats. They either got pressure from the Garden brass ("Hey, kid, we gotta get more seats in there!"), or the contractor ("Sure, we can get an extra seat in there, and nobody will notice!").

The crazy thing is the HDX can display real-time stats as the Celtics have done since 2007

Screen-Shot-2017-10-18-at-8.11.41-PM-832x447.png

Charlie at first tried to pass the blame off to the NHL and NBA

“I’m sure we’re going to hear some more about it,” Jacobs said Tuesday. “Listen, those are the standards that are across the league. It’s not like we sort of made it up arbitrarily and this is the size of the seat. Those are across the National Hockey League and NBA. But yeah, I’ve heard some of the feedback, I personally got some email about it already, it’s early days, so I’m sure there’s a lot more coming once the season ticket holders – those that may have skipped our preseason games – show up.

“I don’t have a program yet to address those issues. There may have to be some fixes involved. I’m not sure we can do those overnight.”

If past history is a guide the Jacobs family will find a scapegoat who is NOT a family member - see Larry Moulter and Richard Krezwick - and muddle on.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The crazy thing is the HDX can display real-time stats as the Celtics have done since 2007

“I’m sure we’re going to hear some more about it,” Jacobs said Tuesday. “Listen, those are the standards that are across the league. It’s not like we sort of made it up arbitrarily and this is the size of the seat. Those are across the National Hockey League and NBA. But yeah, I’ve heard some of the feedback, I personally got some email about it already, it’s early days, so I’m sure there’s a lot more coming once the season ticket holders – those that may have skipped our preseason games – show up.

“I don’t have a program yet to address those issues. There may have to be some fixes involved. I’m not sure we can do those overnight.”

If past history is a guide the Jacobs family will find a scapegoat who is NOT a family member - see Larry Moulter and Richard Krezwick - and muddle on.

I'm shocked...

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
But they spend to the salary cap. The same cap we lost seasons over until they got cost certainty, so they could make more money.

I have no issue with them making money, but let's not pretend that's not what motivates them.

I think Charlie is a dunce hired by daddy because he's family and probably works cheap.

Reactions: Strafer

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

So Amy Latimer should be polishing up her resume then

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I wasn't implying that Charlie and Amy are at the same level. I'm sure she answers to Charlie, who was for all these 'improvements ' before he was against them.

Reactions: Strafer

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yes, but where else would they put the TD Bank and Dunkin' ads? It's not like they have enough room for ads...there's only 8 ads on the ice, boards all around the ice, and two OTHER rings that envelop the Garden...plus the one ring below the HDX.

If I were an advertiser, I'd question how effective ad placement is for STHs who attend games regularly and know that there's never any useful info on the rings above and below the jumbotron during the game. The only reason I know TD Bank advertises on there is that I noticed the burn.

I've said it before, but that part of the quote really, really infuriates me. Does he think we enjoy burning $200 worth of tickets every year? We either begrudgingly go ourselves to see Providence play, or we sell them for $15 on StubHub.

Although it is kind of interesting that the press on the seats has only started just now, when there have been several Garden events that have had the crappy seats. I guess STHs have finally woken up.

He is already the CEO of Boston - Amy reports to him

If Amy gets fired over this Shirley Leung's head will explode :popcorn:

Every cloud has its silver lining.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yes, but where else would they put the TD Bank and Dunkin' ads? It's not like they have enough room for ads...there's only 8 ads on the ice, boards all around the ice, and two OTHER rings that envelop the Garden...plus the one ring below the HDX.

If I were an advertiser, I'd question how effective ad placement is for STHs who attend games regularly and know that there's never any useful info on the rings above and below the jumbotron during the game. The only reason I know TD Bank advertises on there is that I noticed the burn.

I've said it before, but that part of the quote really, really infuriates me. Does he think we enjoy burning $200 worth of tickets every year? We either begrudgingly go ourselves to see Providence play, or we sell them for $15 on StubHub.

Although it is kind of interesting that the press on the seats has only started just now, when there have been several Garden events that have had the crappy seats. I guess STHs have finally woken up.

Every cloud has its silver lining.

The fact that the story has been picked up by multiple national outlets has made them have to act now.

It’s officially a PR disaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad