Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If I was him, I'd ****ing hate Znarok. After the season he had, he starts the oaf over him in the playoffs. And then he has the same nerve to put a similarly unproven Sorokin ahead of him at the World Championships, even though he had a better season than Sorokin.

Maybe you should start finding fault in Shestyorkin once in a while. He's an excellent prospect, but let's keep it real.
Perhaps if he wasn't so mediocre for Znoroks in the Gagarin Cup finals, then again (especially) against lowly Norway, he'd have been #2 goalie for Russia vs Sweden. Plus who knows what goes on in practice.

Regardless, like I already told you, Shestyorkin and Sorokin are still young guys with a lot to learn. And this was painfully evident come crunch time in KHL playoffs where the tried-and-true vets like Koshechkin, Yeryomenko, Koskinen, etc. truly took over.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Maybe you should start finding fault in Shestyorkin once in a while. He's an excellent prospect, but let's keep it real.
Perhaps if he wasn't so mediocre for Znoroks in the Gagarin Cup finals, then again (especially) against lowly Norway, he'd have been #2 goalie for Russia vs Sweden. Plus who knows what goes on in practice.

Regardless, like I already told you, Shestyorkin and Sorokin are still young guys with a lot to learn. And this was painfully evident come crunch time in KHL playoffs where the tried-and-true vets like Koshechkin, Yeryomenko, Koskinen, etc. truly took over.

Can you compare Shestyorkin to a current or former NHL goalie?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He had a .940 SV% in the playoffs, Koksinen had a .938 SV%. I think he would've been fine if he was the playoff starter, and they probably would've won the Gagarin Cup. Koskinen did fine though, I didn't say otherwise. And I think the decision was already made about Shestyorkin/Sorokin prior to those games you mention. I think the decision to send one goalie to the Olympic team and the other to be Vasilevskiy's back up with an unknown coming in as the third goalie meant Znarok had decided who was going to play each role. I wasn't sure though who would have what role, considering there's some logic to thinking the guy getting playing time with the Olympic team could be the preferred #2, and there's logic to say the guy who was backing up Vasya would probably be his back up when the real games start. Besides, that Norway match was his first match in nearly a month. Its a little unfair to say giving up two goals after playing for the first time in 3 and a half weeks means Sorokin is better fit to be the back up, considering Shestyorkin was the better goalie of the two during the EHT this season, and he also had the better KHL season. Also, its a little surprising that Znarok favors Sorokin, despite coaching Shestyorkin at the club level. Usually there's some favoritism to players you've previously coached or players you've coached a lot more.

And yeah, I'm biased. I don't know why thats a problem, this is the Rangers section. Sorokin is very good, it just doesn't do Ranger fans any good to see Sorokin start. Thats my frustration with this situation, but its not such a big deal, anyway. Neither would likely play more than a game.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He had a .940 SV% in the playoffs, Koksinen had a .938 SV%. I think he would've been fine if he was the playoff starter, and they probably would've won the Gagarin Cup. And I think the decision was already made about Shestyorkin/Sorokin prior to those games. I think the decision to send one goalie to the Olympic team and the other to be Vasilevskiy's back up meant Znarok had decided who was going to play each role. I wasn't sure though who would have what role. Besides, that Norway match was his first match in nearly a month. Its a little unfair to say giving up two goals after playing for the first time in 3 and a half weeks means Sorokin is better fit to be the back up, considering Shestyorkin was the better goalie of the two during the EHT this season, and he also had the better KHL season. Also, its a little surprising that Znarok favors Sorokin, despite coaching Shestyorkin at the club level. Usually there's some favoritism to players you've previously coached or players you've coached a lot more. I can't think there's a ton of trust there between the two of them, after Shestyorkin has been relegated to lower roles twice in the last few months by Znarok.

Znoroks gave Shestyorkin every opportunity to take over the starting role when Koskinen went down. Unfortunately, in the finals, in the biggest stage, vs Magnitka:

Shestyorkin
1-1 3.02 .880
Koskinen
3-0 1.89 .939

Again, enough with the excuses. The best goalie shows up come crunch time, no matter what, no excuses. In KHL playoffs, it was not Shestyorkin, (nor was it Sorokin for CSKA)...it was the veterans who did.

And regarding the World Championships, if Shestorkin's mediocre performance against Norway was because he hadn't played in nearly a month, why the hell should he be backing up Vasilevsky with such little work? You can't have it both ways.

EDIT: I don't mind biases, obviously I'm pro Russian players myself. But let's not hype up players beyond belief, or constantly find ways to put blame on other circumstances when players don't perform well or don't quite live up to expectation.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So would you say he has the chance to be a good starter or possibly an elite one? Thanks

Shestyorkin definitely has the talent to be an NHL starter, without question.:yo:
Elite level?....I dunno, goalies are so unpredictable. I mean I knew Bobrovsky was NHL level but never in a million years did I think he'd be where he is.

Last edited:

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
So have you heard that Sorokin just signed a 2-year contract with his club? I would we really salty if I was an isles fan.

But now we hopefully get to see a Shestyorkin and Sorokin rivalry in all of it's glory.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
So have you heard that Sorokin just signed a 2-year contract with his club? I would we really salty if I was an isles fan.

But now we hopefully get to see a Shestyorkin and Sorokin rivalry in all of it's glory.

No worries if you're an Isles fan and realize you also have Linus Soderstrom in the pipeline. I wonder what his contract situation is. They should get him over ASAP. He's fantastic.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Is it a 2-year extension? Or a 2-year deal? Because he was currently signed until 2018. If the stays until 2019, he will be 23 when he is free to move to the NHL, same as Shestyorkin. Imagine that. Both going to NY in 2019, it will be a great way to continue their rivalry.

Both teams retain the rights to their goalie until 2019, by the way

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Found this on the KHL website. #2 ranked goalie this season by the league's website. No Koskinen. :party:

It seems like the KHL awards are revealed on Wednesday. I don't think he'll win goalie of the year, but he might get like second or third.

2. Igor Shestyorkin (SKA)

6e529e79b3b2ae483a49156b74b639a1.jpg
Igor Shestyorkin

Regular season: 39 games; Save Percentage: 93.7; Goals Against Average: 1.64; shutouts: 8.
Playoffs: 5 games; Save Percentage: 94.0; Goals Against Average: 1.84; shutouts: 0.
Last season, one of Russia’s most talented young goaltenders was finally given a chance to prove himself, and he grabbed the opportunity with both gloves. After nine games for Spartak, the teenager moved to the northern capital in the summer of 2014 to continue the long and arduous quest for a regular place between the pipes. After two years of shifting between the Petersburg men’s KHL, VHL and juniors’ sides, Shestyorkin ‘s chance arrived in September of 2016 when the highly experienced Finn, Mikko Koskinen, went to the World Cup on national team duty.
“At this age, match practice is everything. Without it, you just fade away. I wanted to play. Even two years ago, in the juniors, I still had this belief that I was good enough to play in the strongest league. I tried, I worked hard, produced the performances and now, eventually, I have arrived,” - said Shestyorkin in an interview KHL.ru.
In late September and early October, the young goalie enjoyed his most successful period in the League, despite still being only 20. He kept his goal intact for four(!) successive games, setting a new club record for the longest shutout spell, and his season total of 8 unbeaten games is just one short of the shutout king himself, Alexander Yeryomenko.
a9c4ea31ede67bc282a36bfa8c8a71a7.jpg
Igor Shestyorkin

The achievements and accolades began to snowball – KHL goalie of the month for October, a call-up to the Russian national team in November, goaltender of the tournament at the Channel One Cup, and selection for January’s All-Star Game in Ufa.
March 23 saw young Igor make his debut in the playoffs, and four days later – Game 3 of the Conference Final series against Lokomotiv - an injury to Koskinen meant he was once again SKA’s main goalie until the Finn returned during the Gagarin Cup final. On April 16, Shestyorkin lifted the Gagarin Cup.

http://www.khl.ru/news/2017/05/21/347552.html

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
For those following Shestyorkin's development closely, what is a realistic year we could see him ready for the NHL call up?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
For those following Shestyorkin's development closely, what is a realistic year we could see him ready for the NHL call up?

We'll probably see him backing up Hank in 19-20 and taking on a bigger share of the workload in 20-21 if all goes well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We'll probably see him backing up Hank in 19-20 and taking on a bigger share of the workload in 20-21 if all goes well.

I agree with this, although its possible he could come over a season before, if he wants to buyout the final season of his contract with SKA, although Sorokin didn't do that for next season with CSKA, so I'm thinking he probably won't do that.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Good to know. Seems like that should hopefully be an easy transition period once Hank is done with the Rangers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
KHL Awards show. Lets see if he wins anything or is nominated for anything.

Thats Shestyorkin and Sorokin from presumably yesterday. I don't think they'll have to worry about knowing nobody when they come to NY, they are good friends. Its not some big act for NYR-NYI, SKA-CSKA rivalries.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He didn't win best goalie. Koshechkin won. Sorokin was the other nominee, besides Shesty and Koshechkin.

He had the best stats of the three, though, actually by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland