Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What makes you say that?

I'm not implying that players actively take part in board discussions but aside from us living in a social media era, a lot of players know each other and talk. So even if a prospect doesn't follow the team that actually drafted him and never turns on the internet or the TV they still talk to each other.

This is their profession and passion (for most at least) and it would be HIGHLY unusual if they were unaware of what is going on at their future employer.

Maybe you are right, but on this specific point, I think a player living in Russia is a little more isolated from knowing the ins and outs of an NHL team.

I remember reading an interview with Buchnevich like a year ago where I think they asked him what he knew about the Rangers, and his answer seemed pretty limited. I think he named Lundqvist, Nash, Zuccarello, pretty much just the names that a person who has some grasp of following hockey might know about. Maybe he knew more, I can't actually find the interview right now after looking for it, but it was done right after he signed.

So I'm not sure. Maybe Shestyorkin has a very good grasp on the ins and outs of the team, but I also don't think its a given. This is just my opinion, but I think Sean Day has a better grasp on his competition at defense than Igor Shestyorkin on his competition at goalie. It's one thing if you are immersed in NA hockey culture, you read TSN, THW, you listen to these shows, follow all these hockey analysts and writers on twitter, its totally different if you are living in Russia. As I had mentioned, its the middle of the night there when NHL games are on, and I also don't think they provide their audience with coverage of the NHL anywhere near as comprehensive as what you will find if you are actually living in North America. Maybe Buchnevich is filling Shestyorkin in on a lot, I really don't know, I'm only guessing that they still might have to sell him that there's minutes up for grabs.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Maybe you are right, but on this specific point, I think a player living in Russia is a little more isolated from knowing the ins and outs of an NHL team.

I remember reading an interview with Buchnevich like a year ago where I think they asked him what he knew about the Rangers, and his answer seemed pretty limited. I think he named Lundqvist, Nash, Zuccarello, pretty much just the names that a person who has some grasp of following hockey might know about. Maybe he knew more, I can't actually find the interview right now after looking for it, but it was done right after he signed.

So I'm not sure. Maybe Shestyorkin has a very good grasp on the ins and outs of the team, but I also don't think its a given. This is just my opinion, but I think Sean Day has a better grasp on his competition at defense than Igor Shestyorkin on his competition at goalie. It's one thing if you are immersed in NA hockey culture, you read TSN, THW, you listen to these shows, follow all these hockey analysts and writers on twitter, its totally different if you are living in Russia. As I had mentioned, its the middle of the night there when NHL games are on, and I also don't think they provide their audience with coverage of the NHL anywhere near as comprehensive as what you will find if you are actually living in North America. Maybe Buchnevich is filling Shestyorkin in on a lot, I really don't know, I'm only guessing that they still might have to sell him that there's minutes up for grabs.

I don't do any of that haha.

But to the point, you'd be surprised how many Euros stay up until the wee hours in the morning just to watch "their" team. Plenty of weeknights where I only had about an hour of sleep because of an OT game.

You'd think a guy who is completely ingrained into hockey culture period (not just American), has at least a loose grasp as to who their future team mates might be.

And let's not forget that Shesty seems like a kid who highly values the NHL.

Is it possible that he simply doesn't have time to follow the Rangers? Sure, absolutely.

I just find it very unlikely that a highly rated goalie prospect who on several occasions has expressed his desire to come to New York to become a possible future replacement of one of the, if not THE best goalie the Rangers ever had is unaware of the abilities and/or performances of his predecessor.

And even THEN, let's assume for a second Shestyorkin is completely clueless and all he does is focus on his current team and game, at the very least, his agent would not be doing his job to relay to Igor what sort of possibilities he has with the Rangers.

Out of thin air, let me make up a scenario here which would not be that unrealistic.

Igor's agent and he discuss a contract extension with SKA. While trying to figure out how many years he should sign with them his agent tells him the following:

"Igor, listen.. I think we shouldn't commit for too many years here in St. Petersburg. I think it's time for you to make the next step soon. When you sign a new contract with SKA let's make sure we leave the door open to make a move to America to play in the NHL and take it to the next level.
The Rangers' number 1 goalie is starting to show his age and I believe that at the very least you can be their back up in about 2 years. Their goalie coach is fantastic and he can make you a world class tender. What do you think Igor?"

And then they go back and forth and discuss possibilities with the team who drafted him and how much of a decline Henrik is in or could be in in the future.

I personally find this more plausible than him not knowing at all what's going on at the goalie position in New York.

I'd even bet money on Igor knowing exactly who the Rangers just signed as a backup and for how long.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope you are right. I'm only speculating. I'm not worried, but we just gotta be careful because if he prolongs his contract anymore, I think we gotta start considering other goalies, namely Huska and Wall, as the likely successor to Hank.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I hope you are right. I'm only speculating. I'm not worried, but we just gotta be careful because if he prolongs his contract anymore, I think we gotta start considering other goalies, namely Huska and Wall, as the likely successor to Hank.

No worries, we all are speculating.

Although I am convinced we have some lurkers here who are actually with the team who more often than not get a kick out of the craziness that goes on on these boards.

I don't know why, but I feel like Igor will be our future. It's just the vibe I'm getting. He just really seems into the idea of being the Rangers' future numero uno.

But I get your concern, especially looking back at some of the years A.R. (after Richter).

Let's see what happens.. we still have Henrik.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

Where do these guys actually project? Shestyorkin seems to have the potential to be one of the best in the league... but what about option #2 and option #3? Do they look to be viable NHL starters in the future?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where do these guys actually project? Shestyorkin seems to have the potential to be one of the best in the league... but what about option #2 and option #3? Do they look to be viable NHL starters in the future?

Hard to know.

Huska has played on some pretty bad teams with Slovakia and last season with UConn, so his stats don't look so great, although when I've watched him play, he looks pretty good. The one season he seemed to play for a good team in the USHL, he was the goalie of the year in that league. He's bigger than Shestyorkin, and more of a positioning goalie. 6'3 200 with decent, not great athleticism. He can use his athleticism, but usually doesn't need to. Very calm, reads angles well. Wall plays a similar game, similar size, similar athleticism. He played for a good team this year compared to Huska playing for a bad team, so its sometimes hard to figure out these things, but Wall didn't look out of place.

I think both have definite NHL potential. I think Huska is more advanced, and I'd probably project his as a likely fringe-starter right now, although both have starter upside, and you really never know if a goalie will be one of the best in the league or not an NHL'er. Talbot didn't make his NHL debut until he was 26 and now he's one of the NHL's best goalies.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Hard to know.

Huska has played on some pretty bad teams with Slovakia and last season with UConn, so his stats don't look so great, although when I've watched him play, he looks pretty good. The one season he seemed to play for a good team in the USHL, he was the goalie of the year in that league. He's bigger than Shestyorkin, and more of a positioning goalie. 6'3 200 with decent, not great athleticism. He can use his athleticism, but usually doesn't need to. Very calm, reads angles well. Wall plays a similar game, similar size, similar athleticism. He played for a good team this year compared to Huska playing for a bad team, so its sometimes hard to figure out these things, but Wall didn't look out of place.

I think both have definite NHL potential. I think Huska is more advanced, and I'd probably project his as a likely fringe-starter right now, although both have starter upside, and you really never know if a goalie will be one of the best in the league or not an NHL'er. Talbot didn't make his NHL debut until he was 26 and now he's one of the NHL's best goalies.

Thanks for the response :)

RangerFan10

I'm coming to the party late, but it has to help somewhat that he's playing with a handful of former NHLers on his team. Mikko Koskinen, who played most of the playoffs, was drafted by the Islanders and came over to NA for a while before returning to Finland and then ultimately playing in the KHL. Steve Moses was born in Massachusetts and actually had a pro tryout with the Whale in 2012. He's got some people around him that can get him excited at the opportunity he has with the Rangers.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
These prospects don't follow the team that closely. If he thinks Lundqvist is still Vezina Lundqvist, he might prolong his contract with SKA. So I hope they tell him the truth. You don't have to trash Hank, but just be honest that Hank is starting to decline, and there's definitely a chance for him to play big minutes.

Do you think he's contributing to the Hank player discussion thread? :laugh: Of course not, probably has no idea how good or bad Lundqvist is playing, but since almost all media attention of Hank is positive, why would anyone assume he's not the best or second best in the league right now? Those who follow closely might notice he's declining, but I don't think prospects follow closely. Gotta sell him on his role, and the opportunity for him. Don't want him scared off by Hank.

I'm not worried or anything, I think he'll come over, but the Sorokin extension is a cautionary tale. You still gotta sell the guy on coming over.

What? These prospects don't have agents? You make it sound like these kids are completely on their own when the reality is that's what agents do--follow the big picture, while their clients work at becoming professional hockey players.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
What? These prospects don't have agents? You make it sound like these kids are completely on their own when the reality is that's what agents do--follow the big picture, while their clients work at becoming professional hockey players.
(A) You're absolutely right (and I'm amazed it's taken this long for anyone to make this point);

(B) This leads to a very good question: who is Shestyorkin's agent?

Anyone know if he has a NA agent (some young Russian prospects do)? Does Sorokin? If we know the answer to both those questions, it's possible we might have a bit more insight as to how Shestyorkin's career might evolve.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its a fair point, but some of these Russian players have a Russian agent and a NA agent, which could complicate things, especially if what the team says doesn't align with what both agents are saying or if the agents are saying conflicting things.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Its a fair point, but some of these Russian players have a Russian agent and a NA agent, which could complicate things, especially if what the team says doesn't align with what both agents are saying or if the agents are saying conflicting things.

Didn't Buchnevich have both a Russian and North American agent? Or was that Zuccarello? I remember in the fairly recent past we dealt with a player who had an agent on both sides of the pond and it created some confusion.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
(A) You're absolutely right (and I'm amazed it's taken this long for anyone to make this point);

(B) This leads to a very good question: who is Shestyorkin's agent?

Anyone know if he has a NA agent (some young Russian prospects do)? Does Sorokin? If we know the answer to both those questions, it's possible we might have a bit more insight as to how Shestyorkin's career might evolve.

Alexei Dementiev

http://www.idealagency.ca/management/

This guy was Tarasenko's agent when he came over to NA in 2012, but I think it was Mike Liut that negotiated Tarasenko's killer deal in 2015; yet, Dementiev still lists Tarasenko as a client, and correctly lists his contract as expiring in 2023. Tarasenko must be one of the guys to have two agents.

Anyway, click on the "KHL" link near the top of the website page I linked, and Igor is the 3rd guy down on Dementiev's client list, with his contract expiring in 2019.

I'm gonna guess that at this point is his career, this is the only agent Igor has.

Dementiev stopped using his twitter a couple years ago, but his email is on the linked website. Someone should email him posing as a reporter, and try to dig up info on what Igor's plans are. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad