Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Didn't Koshechkin go bananas in the playoffs though? Maybe there's some recency bias? It wouldn't be unusual

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Was listening to Blueshirt Underground Radio yesterday and they had Shane Malloy on from SiriusXM Hockey Prospects Radio. Malloy projects Shestyorkin to be a backup at best in the NHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Was listening to Blueshirt Underground Radio yesterday and they had Shane Malloy on from SiriusXM Hockey Prospects Radio. Malloy projects Shestyorkin to be a backup at best in the NHL.

Based on nothing, of course. Those projections are just empty guesses. I've seen reports and projections on Grachev, Dawes, Yogan, McColgan, Iverson etc that turned out to be not even close to the eventual result. "Backup at best" especially for a 20-year old goalie is just a ridiculous projection.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Based on nothing, of course. Those projections are just empty guesses. I've seen reports and projections on Grachev, Dawes, Yogan, McColgan, Iverson etc that turned out to be not even close to the eventual result. "Backup at best" especially for a 20-year old goalie is just a ridiculous projection.

He based it on what he's been told by goalie scouts. He admitted to knowing jack about goalies. So we'll see.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He based it on what he's been told by goalie scouts. He admitted to knowing jack about goalies. So we'll see.

The thing with goalies is that you just don't know. They develop at a later age compared to forwards and even defensemen. It's a crapshoot. You don't know how Shestyorkin will develop.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

o63vh.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

:laugh:

Right now, I think he'd be among the better back ups in the NHL. I think he could do about what Saros has done this season for Nashville. He was just a top 2 goalie in the KHL at 20/21. He's a consensus top 10 goalie prospect, a lot of people have him top 5, possibly even higher than that. So unless there aren't ten goalies who are currently prospects who will be NHL starters, this is just a bad opinion. Prospects are prospects for a reason, there are tons of possible outcomes, but I don't think you'd find anyone who seriously studies prospects who would project Shestyorkin to be anything other than a starter. There's like nothing in his game that makes you think back up, if you were to be completely fair in an assessment of his game.

Last edited:

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Last year KHL was close to the NHL. There seems to be a bit of an exodus from the KHL right now, but being really good on the KHL likely means at least competent in the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was looking over his stats to make a point in the Prospect Board, and I realized a pretty historic fun fact about him.

Fun Fact: He's technically the youngest goalie to ever play in the KHL, as he debuted under two months after turning 17 in a now defunct loser's playoffs. This was in 2013.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
He won't have to adjust much to the jersey.

First thing I thought of as well!!!

As a young kid he has faired very well.

He is also coming out of a very good league and from a country that has developed all-world players at the postition- not once in a blue moon like Czech Rep...

The time he would come over, learn from HL, and than take on starter duties seems too good to be true for the Rangers....

Alas, I will wait and see if it pans out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln