Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gorton spoke to the media and was asked about Shestyorkin.

He made it seem like there wasn't going to be a buyout of the last year of his KHL contract, so two more years it is, probably. I didn't think it was likely anyway, considering Sorokin didn't buy out the last year of his deal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Good. Let Igor keep crushing the KHL. I want him to immediately step in here and be a backup (which I think is a certainty after next season). Let him keep playing and honing his craft, and then aim to get him 30-35 games when he comes over.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good. Let Igor keep crushing the KHL. I want him to immediately step in here and be a backup (which I think is a certainty after next season). Let him keep playing and honing his craft, and then aim to get him 30-35 games when he comes over.

But its almost overkill. The guy was the best goalie this season in the KHL. Would people say that the AHL's best goalie last season isn't ready for the NHL this season? And then you consider that the KHL is a better league than the AHL.

I think he's definitely ready to be an NHL back up this season, probably was even ready towards the end of last season. Unless he regresses, more than another year is probably overkill.

I think the expectation should be for him to come in after another two years, and start right away. He'll be 23/24 that season. There were many goalies in the NHL who were starters and are younger than Shestyorkin will be that season. And in another two years, Hank might not even be an NHL caliber goalie, so I think we gotta start finding a starter in another few seasons.

Whatever though, I wish the KHL would change their policy, and have a transfer agreement. It hurts these players to make them stay longer than they need in what is essentially a development league.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Based on nothing, of course. Those projections are just empty guesses. I've seen reports and projections on Grachev, Dawes, Yogan, McColgan, Iverson etc that turned out to be not even close to the eventual result. "Backup at best" especially for a 20-year old goalie is just a ridiculous projection.

Agree 100%. Tom Brady is always the answer to this question. And hundreds of players like him in almost any sport. The intangibles of great performance can't be projected - they just happen when the player develops and matures. It's easy to project a McDavid. Beyond the top 2% it's a wild guess.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
But its almost overkill. The guy was the best goalie this season in the KHL. Would people say that the AHL's best goalie last season isn't ready for the NHL this season? And then you consider that the KHL is a better league than the AHL.

I think he's definitely ready to be an NHL back up this season, probably was even ready towards the end of last season. Unless he regresses, more than another year is probably overkill.

I think the expectation should be for him to come in after another two years, and start right away. He'll be 23/24 that season. There were many goalies in the NHL who were starters and are younger than Shestyorkin will be that season. And in another two years, Hank might not even be an NHL caliber goalie, so I think we gotta start finding a starter in another few seasons.

Whatever though, I wish the KHL would change their policy, and have a transfer agreement. It hurts these players to make them stay longer than they need in what is essentially a development league.

Oh it has nothing to do with the KHL vs. the AHL talent-wise, I don't want to expose him to the ****show down in Hartford period. That's why I want to let him get his 40-45 games this year, and then hopefully we can bring him in to be the backup for the 2018-19 season. And FWIW, we don't even know what the goalie situation will be in two years. Henke may need someone to do a 60-40 split with him at that point.

Besides, we need him to become best buds to recruit Arty Zub next July ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
His good buddy Sorokin signed a 3 year extension in the KHL.

I'm not worried because all of them who are legit NHL prospects bar like 1 or 2 eventually come over, but certainly this is notable, and something the Rangers should at least monitor. Gotta know if you can plan on having this guy on the team in two years or if he's also gonna sign a 3 year extension.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
But Igor has expressed interest in the past, right? I don't know if Sorokin has ever said that he wants to join the Isles..

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
But Igor has expressed interest in the past, right? I don't know if Sorokin has ever said that he wants to join the Isles..

Every interview I've seen of his, he mentions how he wants to come to the NHL.

I have never seen an interview with Sorokin about coming to the NHL.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta

This ^^
And why would sorokin want to? He makes just as much on a winning team. Wouldn't be great to go from SKA to the isles...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
All of them say the same thing. They all say they want to play in the NHL. Seems like Sorokin at least temporarily doesn't want to.

These two are very good friends, they were vacationing together this summer. Don't want Sorokin to get in Shestyorkin's ear about this.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
All of them say the same thing. They all say they want to play in the NHL. Seems like Sorokin at least temporarily doesn't want to.

These two are very good friends, they were vacationing together this summer. Don't want Sorokin to get in Shestyorkin's ear about this.

Another thing that makes me a hair nervous is that Koskinen is on the final year of his contract. Their other backup (Ivannikov) is with Lada now, too. Basically, after the upcoming season ends, there may be nothing stopping Igor from becoming the #1 over there. The kid might find that too attractive to resist...and sign long term.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Igor strikes me as a typical "I love America, I wanna be there" kinda type (I'd know, I'm that sort of Euro myself). It's easy for that kind to get excited about the prospect of coming over here so I'm very confident that he will be here sooner than later.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

That's probably what's happening. Sorokin sticking around for a few more then he and Shesty will come over on the buddy program and share an apartment in NY while playing for rival teams.
:yo:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The kid must keep an eye on the NYR. He sees as much as anybody that Hank is winding down and he knows that he is our #1 goalie prospect. He knows that the job is his if he wants it.

I guess its down to him ultimately. Does he want to play in the best league in the world, in NYC or is he going to be happy dominating a lesser league?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
The kid must keep an eye on the NYR. He sees as much as anybody that Hank is winding down and he knows that he is our #1 goalie prospect. He knows that the job is his if he wants it.

I guess its down to him ultimately. Does he want to play in the best league in the world, in NYC or is he going to be happy dominating a lesser league?

Most players want to take on the challenge and earn some serious bucks while doing so.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope they are being honest with him, and not feeding him team-propaganda, regarding Hank. I don't think any of these prospects follow the team close enough to know which players are declining, who had a bad season, who had a good season.

He's gotta know that once he comes over, he can be the starting goalie right away. We don't want him prolonging his contract with SKA due to thinking he can't compete about Lundqvist. In two years, we don't even know if Lundqvist will be an NHL caliber starter, but if the team isn't straight with him about Lundqvist's decline, he could prolong his contract.

There's a thought process among Isles fans that Sorokin prolonged his contract because he didn't want to compete with Greiss, although thats kind of hard to believe, and Greiss isn't tough competition. The "best goalie in the world" is tough competition, so they need to be honest with him that he will have an opportunity to take over for a declining goaltender.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Sounds like this guy has some tremendous potential. Can't for Benoit to get him under his wing.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I hope they are being honest with him, and not feeding him team-propaganda, regarding Hank. I don't think any of these prospects follow the team close enough to know which players are declining, who had a bad season, who had a good season.

He's gotta know that once he comes over, he can be the starting goalie right away. We don't want him prolonging his contract with SKA due to thinking he can't compete about Lundqvist. In two years, we don't even know if Lundqvist will be an NHL caliber starter, but if the team isn't straight with him about Lundqvist's decline, he could prolong his contract.

There's a thought process among Isles fans that Sorokin prolonged his contract because he didn't want to compete with Greiss, although thats kind of hard to believe, and Greiss isn't tough competition. The "best goalie in the world" is tough competition, so they need to be honest with him that he will have an opportunity to take over for a declining goaltender.

What is team propaganda? Hank is our guy. But he won't play forever. In a few years Igor could be the heir apparent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What is team propaganda? Hank is our guy. But he won't play forever. In a few years Igor could be the heir apparent.

These prospects don't follow the team that closely. If he thinks Lundqvist is still Vezina Lundqvist, he might prolong his contract with SKA. So I hope they tell him the truth. You don't have to trash Hank, but just be honest that Hank is starting to decline, and there's definitely a chance for him to play big minutes.

Do you think he's contributing to the Hank player discussion thread? :laugh: Of course not, probably has no idea how good or bad Lundqvist is playing, but since almost all media attention of Hank is positive, why would anyone assume he's not the best or second best in the league right now? Those who follow closely might notice he's declining, but I don't think prospects follow closely. Gotta sell him on his role, and the opportunity for him. Don't want him scared off by Hank.

I'm not worried or anything, I think he'll come over, but the Sorokin extension is a cautionary tale. You still gotta sell the guy on coming over.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
These prospects don't follow the team that closely. If he thinks Lundqvist is still Vezina Lundqvist, he might prolong his contract with SKA. So I hope they tell him the truth. You don't have to trash Hank, but just be honest that Hank is starting to decline, and there's definitely a chance for him to play big minutes.

Do you think he's contributing to the Hank player discussion thread? :laugh: Of course not, probably has no idea how good or bad Lundqvist is playing, but since almost all media attention of Hank is positive, why would anyone assume he's not the best or second best in the league right now? Those who follow closely might notice he's declining, but I don't think prospects follow closely. Gotta sell him on his role, and the opportunity for him. Don't want him scared off by Hank.

I'm not worried or anything, I think he'll come over, but the Sorokin extension is a cautionary tale. You still gotta sell the guy on coming over.

I'd imagine as the organization's top goalie prospect he knows a good bit about Lundqvist...including his age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
NHL games are on in the middle of the night in Russia.

If you read interviews with NHL prospects, most don't know the ins and outs of their teams like a fan you'd find on HF. A lot casual fans who might watch some, not all games don't either.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

What makes you say that?

I'm not implying that players actively take part in board discussions but aside from us living in a social media era, a lot of players know each other and talk. So even if a prospect doesn't follow the team that actually drafted him and never turns on the internet or the TV they still talk to each other.

This is their profession and passion (for most at least) and it would be HIGHLY unusual if they were unaware of what is going on at their future employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln