Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Was just looking at the KHL standings. SKA is leaps & bounds better than everyone else.

SKA has a +80 team goal differential. Next best in league is CSKA at +31. LOL!

SKA has only 1 regulation loss all season. Next best is CSKA and Metallurg @ 5 regulation losses.

Craziness.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Record: 15-1-2
Save %: .945
GAA: 1.41
Shutouts: 7

no-bad-bodiveiblog.jpg

Last edited:

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
He very well may become our future net minder and dominate but we have a long time till he'll play here. His contract ends 2019 with SKA. Which imo is a good thing. Playing behind a 38 year old Hank and having Benoit Allaire will only make him even better

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I have followed Alex Nunn on twitter for a long time and he writes and tweets alot about NYR prospects and Shestyorkin is a beast. Will be the perfect replacement for Hank. Expect him to come over when Hank has a couple seasons left and be his backup for a couple of years before he takes over.

Alex Nunn´s twitter:
https://twitter.com/aj_ranger

He tweets alot of gifs of Shestyorkin and other prospects. Knows alot about european prospects!
He has some gifs of Shestyorkin´s huge saves from tonights game.

Reactions: FoxyClean

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I recall seeing him play at the WJC a few years back, when Duclair was on Team Canada, and still our prospect...He looked very good back then and was sharing goal with I believe Sorokin (a NYI prospect). I remember the Finals against Team Canada, when he gave up 2 goals in the first 3-4 minutes and was pulled, not because it was his fault, but rather to change the momentum of the game since Canada was all over them from the drop of the puck! I remember saying, he will learn from this experience and get better for it...a few years later he seems to have progressed enormously, and maybe have a legit shot at being a #1 in the NHL with us in a few years:handclap:

A question to posters that have seems him play often, how does he handle playing the puck behind the net/stick control? I hope it's better than Hank!

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I recall seeing him play at the WJC a few years back, when Duclair was on Team Canada, and still our prospect...He looked very good back then and was sharing goal with I believe Sorokin (a NYI prospect). I remember the Finals against Team Canada, when he gave up 2 goals in the first 3-4 minutes and was pulled, not because it was his fault, but rather to change the momentum of the game since Canada was all over them from the drop of the puck! I remember saying, he will learn from this experience and get better for it...a few years later he seems to have progressed enormously, and maybe have a legit shot at being a #1 in the NHL with us in a few years:handclap:

A question to posters that have seems him play often, how does he handle playing the puck behind the net/stick control? I hope it's better than Hank!

Hank could be the worst ever at stick handling!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Much better than Hank. Not a puck handling goalie though. You won't notice his puck handling, good or bad, its right about average.

Reactions: FoxyClean

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
3 years in the khl then he can come up and we see where hank is at . Good plan

The idea of Shesterkin spending the next 3 years in Russia makes me want to vomit. The kid could play in the NHL today.

Shesterkin has the best stats in the KHL of anyone who played at least a dozen games (though Sorokin and Bobkov can make similar claims since one has a slightly better GAA and one slightly better SV%). After a slow start for the first couple of games, Shesterkin has had a shutout in half of his starts.

The KHL is not like the AHL where there's a clear line between that league and the NHL. There's a significant overlap between the KHL and the NHL in the quality of their players. Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Shipachev, Gusev, Barabanov, Voynov, maybe a couple others can play in the NHL - and that's just on the SKA team (don't watch others since SKA has Shesterkin and had Butcher last season).

Being a great player in the KHL means you have the ability to play in the NHL right now. Even if he can't be a starter now at the age of 20, he could definitely be a competent backup. A year or 2 from now, he'll be able to start in the NHL. Keeping him in the KHL for 3 years is amazing overkill.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The idea of Shesterkin spending the next 3 years in Russia makes me want to vomit. The kid could play in the NHL today.

Shesterkin has the best stats in the KHL of anyone who played at least a dozen games (though Sorokin and Bobkov can make similar claims since one has a slightly better GAA and one slightly better SV%). After a slow start for the first couple of games, Shesterkin has had a shutout in half of his starts.

The KHL is not like the AHL where there's a clear line between that league and the NHL. There's a significant overlap between the KHL and the NHL in the quality of their players. Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Shipachev, Gusev, Barabanov, Voynov, maybe a couple others can play in the NHL - and that's just on the SKA team (don't watch others since SKA has Shesterkin and had Butcher last season).

Being a great player in the KHL means you have the ability to play in the NHL right now. Even if he can't be a starter now at the age of 20, he could definitely be a competent backup. A year or 2 from now, he'll be able to start in the NHL. Keeping him in the KHL for 3 years is amazing overkill.

I hear you, but is it the end of the world if he is only Hank's backup for a year (in '20-'21)? Better he plays most nights as he's developing, no?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I hear you, but is it the end of the world if he is only Hank's backup for a year (in '20-'21)? Better he plays most nights as he's developing, no?

Who knows when Hank's body will start to give out. Richter was extremely reliable until he was exactly Hank's age when he ran into a series of injuries and re-injuries, retiring at the age of 36. Hank will be 35 in March. And Richter didn't have Hank's workload at a young age because he split the time in the net with Beezer, nor did he play as much in the playoffs. Hank already played 40 more regular season and playoff games than Richter played in his whole career.

By the end of next season (2017-18), Hank will have played close to 200 more career regular season and playoff games than Richter by the time he retired. If Shesterkin spent next season as Lundqvist's understudy, he'd be possibly ready to replace Hank in case of injury or cold streak. By 2018-19, Lundqvist will be older than Richter at retirement with hundreds more games played. There's no reason not to have a guy guy ready to replace Hank at a moment's notice.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There's no reason not to have a guy guy ready to replace Hank at a moment's notice.

Raanta is that guy for the next 2 years (unless he gets picked up in the exp draft). After that I'm sure they can find someone for another year until Shestyorkin comes over, and that's assuming no other goalies the Rangers have show they can be a reliable backup and fill in

I also don't think the Rangers are "keeping" him in the KHL, he signed that contract and his teams wants him to stay for that time, I don't think the Rangers really factor in here. THat's always the "issue with drafting some Russian players, their contracts are out of your hands until they decide to sign with you, and I'm fairly certain up until just now most people would have thought it was best to leave him in the KHL for at least another year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
other thing with Hank is you never know if the guy decides to retire in year 6 of his contract. He might just be wanting out of playing hockey, or perhaps he gets a job within the organization. Hank wouldn't hold his contract over this team for $16M...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad