Igor Larionov to Edmonton (Re: Yakupov) - Part II

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Do you honestly think it's on purpose? Sadly I don't think it's intentional at all...

actually i DO think its on purpose, at least in respect to yakupov... eakins is clearly a real old-school guy, and believes his **** don't stink... he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room at all times... he firmly believes that he knows best and yakupov better "get in line".... he is using yakupov as an example, this is very, very clear

the rest of his incompetence (not line matching, implementing a terrible system that is too advanced for our players, woeful special teams, etc etc) is accidental i'm sure.... but his inexcusable treatment of yakupov is very obviously on purpose

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Unfortunately I think he's probably going to be traded. Not immediately, but probably in the summer, ala Lupul.

Maybe his game will start to really pick up though, specifically if he can get more looks on the PP and bury them.

ok, but this is a fairly greasy move on Larionov's part too. Do you really want to talk contracts with a guy like this? Yakupov is a huge minus, with limited minutes, on a team still trying to turn any corner they can. What else does the kid deserve? He's basically our version of a younger Nazim Kadri, with no interest in playing in the AHL. His agent just put him into a situation of more pressure after a professional career of 80 games with a skill set that can't crack the top 6 of the worst team in the NHL. WOW.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
This organization has a history of treating players badly and running them out of town for the wrong reasons. I gave them the benefit of the doubt in the past, but when it continues to occur time and time again, how can you trust the management group? This team has a poor reputation around the league as well.

I wouldn't blame any player who wants out of this mickey mouse organization. Fire these morons and get someone with actual hockey knowledge to run things before this nightmare gets worse.

Exactly.

Yakupov mentioned he heard his name in trade rumours as early as last summer.
Coming off a fantastic rookie season where he led the team in goal scoring and tied at the top spot for rookie points, why the hell would his name be tossed about among NHL brass??

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
yeah i know he hasn't played good, and i'm sure he knows it... my point is that he likely didn't understand the question... have you ever spoken to another person who only understood 60% of what you are saying? that is yakupov... this is why you get strange answers from him

i am in a university program where over 75% of my fellow students are non-native-english speakers.... when talking with them, you sometimes have to repeat the question 5 times before they understand and stop giving their "memorized answer".... watch yaks interviews, anytime people ask him about how he is playing, he says some version of "i play my game, i play hard"

You're right on the money with this. people are taking Yaks responses as if he's a natural english only speaker. He's clearly awkward in the language.

As you note people less familiar with a language defer to simple statements they know they can make rather than explaining things entirely as would otherwise be preferred. Often times the answer is rehearsed and sometimes with it appearing the person is being evasive while just struggling with words.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Watching that interview, Yakupov is uncomfortable as all hell. He is getting absolutely grilled from all sides. Why didn't anyone from the Oilers step in to rescue the poor kid and drag him out of there?

I guess that's a rhetorical question. Someone should have.

That's just the way this organization rolls.

I agree, it was pretty surprising. His English isn't the greatest, he was having a difficult time articulating himself, and he was backed in the corner. The second interview with Eakins seemed to be more about how reports could stretch what Nail said to get a rise out of the coach.

This team organization is so dysfunctional its crazy.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
That's the frustrating part.

The kid is taking the instructions, trying to do it and he's clearly been improving.

The season is over. It's done. I can understand benching a player for a lack of defensive ability on a play-off team. But the Oilers season is cooked. Yak is competing and improving, but still being discouraged even though the main goal of this season should now be development.

Is that going to be accomplished by letting a kid make the same mistakes over and over again?

I don't remember Hall or RNH being as raw as Yak is now when they were starting out. His game needs a ton of work.

Now, that said, sitting him and benching him isn't working. Eakins needs to change tacks, that much is sure.

Side not: Larionov screwed Yak pretty good by making this public. If Eakins gives Yak more ice now, it'll look like he's caving to a squeaky wheel prima donna. If he doesn't, the gongs show just rolls on. Not smart by the agent.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Watching that interview, Yakupov is uncomfortable as all hell. He is getting absolutely grilled from all sides. Why didn't anyone from the Oilers step in to rescue the poor kid and drag him out of there?

I guess that's a rhetorical question. Someone should have.

Yeah, several of us stated the same thing. Its like the org left him out there to wither. Which is becoming perhaps symbolic of the support he's getting.

One thing of note, I don't know that many people have credited Yak for having the balls to bring this out and to stand in front of the microphones etc.

We have about 20 players on this club that are english speaking that could've shown leadership in questioning some of whats gone on. It ends up being a Russian Rookie.

Yak has my respect.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So lets assume this whole situation is a play me or trade me scenario. (this is what im getting out of it)

Ice time continues to stay about the same, and he asks for a trade. Is that really on the Oilers or a 20 year old that thinks hes more valuable then he is?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
That's just the way this organization rolls.

I agree, it was pretty surprising. His English isn't the greatest, he was having a difficult time articulating himself, and he was backed in the corner. The second interview with Eakins seemed to be more about how reports could stretch what Nail said to get a rise out of the coach.

This team organization is so dysfunctional its crazy.
In all honesty the kid's patience in that interview scrum impressed the hell out of me. He's no Pronger or Torts.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
ok, but this is a fairly greasy move on Larionov's part too. Do you really want to talk contracts with a guy like this? Yakupov is a huge minus, with limited minutes, on a team still trying to turn any corner they can. What else does the kid deserve? He's basically our version of a younger Nazim Kadri, with no interest in playing in the AHL. His agent just put him into a situation of more pressure after a professional career of 80 games with a skill set that can't crack the top 6 of the worst team in the NHL. WOW.

Really? Do you actually believe this?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yeah, several of us stated the same thing. Its like the org left him out there to wither. Which is becoming perhaps symbolic of the support he's getting.

One thing of note, I don't know that many people have credited Yak for having the balls to bring this out and to stand in front of the microphones etc.

We have about 20 players on this club that are english speaking that could've shown leadership in questioning some of whats gone on. It ends up being a Russian Rookie.

Yak has my respect.

I would agree with this, but still not sure if the Oilers advised yak from speaking today and he took it on himself? Wish we knew the answer to this instead of assuming everything.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I would agree with this, but still not sure if the Oilers advised yak from speaking today and he took it on himself? Wish we knew the answer to this instead of assuming everything.

If we knew the answer to all these things, we wouldn't have people doomsday prophesying... and that would leave some fans bored. Can't have that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
True and IMO they shouldnt have let Yak speak today. For all we know they told Yak not to and he chose to?

I just am trying to tell tell myself the Oilers wont mess this up. Im starting to think its on Yak more than the Oilers though. Hes been in the paper way to many times this year for all the wrong reasons.

You know what, I don't claim to be an expert, but my first in person experience with Yak was at prospect camp around 16mths ago. Yak was electric, exciting, personable, the best, and most agreeable acting person. He was clowning it up for the crowd, throwing some ham goal cellys in there and playing it, and had an ear to ear grin and was enjoying himself. if you looked at the kids in the place you knew he was capturing hearts. hell, he captured mine and I'm an over 50 cynic. I loved how much the guy wanted to make people in the crowd smile. you could tell that from how he interacted with crowd with kids, during scrimmage and after.

In short he was a dynamic, very positive person and full of cheer. An actual people pleaser. Most orgs would love having a guy like this.

But I think this org has had a different effect on him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
i'm out of here for tonight... this entire episode is depressing

i wish my team had better management, but they don't, i guess we should just all get used to that fact

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yeah it was brutal. Yak pretty much had to elbow his way out of the scrum after the odd question about how do his parents feel about this.

I'm sorry, this wasn't a friendly interview, it was caustic, it was interrogation, and then you're going to enquire about how mom and dad are taking this? Good for Yak leaving the interview. I wonder how many people here even realize thats how badly the interview went. That Yak left after 8mins apparently upset.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You know what, I don't claim to be an expert, but my first in person experience with Yak was at prospect camp around 16mths ago. Yak was electric, exciting, personable, the best, and most agreeable acting person. He was clowning it up for the crowd, throwing some ham goal cellys in there and playing it, and had an ear to ear grin and was enjoying himself. if you looked at the kids in the place you knew he was capturing hearts. hell, he captured mine and I'm an over 50 cynic. I loved how much the guy wanted to make people in the crowd smile. you could tell that from how he interacted with crowd with kids, during scrimmage and after.

In short he was a dynamic, very positive person and full of cheer. An actual people pleaser. Most orgs would love having a guy like this.

But I think this org has had a different effect on him.

Ok then there was the World Juniors where he chose not to speak to the media while being captain when having a bad game.

This isnt the first time hes been in the media for wrong reasons.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Agents vouch for their players, it's in their job description. Larionov has to handle Yak more aggressively because Yak is one of his highest potential dividends given the #1 overall status. Contracts are not the only topics of conversation between a team and an agent, this is not out of the ordinary.

The problem here is Larionov went public with it. You can blame the messenger in Custance, but clearly Larionov is at fault for opening his mouth when this kind of stuff should've been kept behind the scenes.

Yakupov is getting a lot of undeserved heat based on the way tools like Rishaug and Gregor are spinning this. Unfortunately, Yak has been the scapegoat this season for the coach.

Accountability is just a word in Eakins knows, there's zero weight on actually following through on keeping every player in check. A team with a 4-13-2 record and the only forward getting benched is Yakupov? Adds up... 15 loss in 19 games... must be that Nail kids fault.

Eberle, Hemsky, Hall, Nuge have all been giving the puck up to the opposition directly leading to goals against. Not once have they been benched even in-game. I thouhgt it didn't matter whether you were 30 or 20, a veteran, rookie or sophomore, if you ohn't compete, you're not going to play? Yet lazy irresponsible plays are only punished when Yakupov commits them?

You blame the players for those plays. You blame the coach for not doing anytihng about it. Eakins is messing up, and he deserves criticism for it.

Same token, a lot of players need to wake the **** up. Nail is one of them. But he's one of plenty.

Everybody is on a different page of the same effing **** joke of a book.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
So let me get this straight. Yak isn't upset about his grievances being made public to the media by his agent (as least that's what it seems) and yet he can't take the heat when questioned about it from that same media? And for some reason the Oilers are the only ones to blame for all this?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yeah it was brutal. Yak pretty much had to elbow his way out of the scrum after the odd question about how do his parents feel about this.

I'm sorry, this wasn't a friendly interview, it was caustic, it was interrogation, and then you're going to enquire about how mom and dad are taking this? Good for Yak leaving the interview. I wonder how many people here even realize thats how badly the interview went. That Yak left after 8mins apparently upset.

It was horrible I agree. Like I said I really wanna know if Yak went against the Oilers advice of not talking today, or if they made him talk. If its the latter well my opinion changes, but Im assuming and i know its a big assumption, but I think Yak chose to come out today.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ok then there was the World Juniors where he chose not to speak to the media while being captain when having a bad game.

This isnt the first time hes been in the media for wrong reasons.

Why would a Russian player be speaking to the domestic NA media? I'm confused with that.

These Junior tourneys are quite heated and intense and that one was as well. I think it best not to cross boundaries in such nationalistic fervor. Be the worst time to do it imo.

In anycase my favorite player ever is Glenn Anderson, who hated the media. So you thats kinda my bent as well. I haven't met many I care to discuss much with. Especially with a microphone around..

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Why would a Russian player be speaking to the domestic NA media? I'm confused with that.

These Junior tourneys are quite heated and intense and that one was as well. I think it best not to cross boundaries in such nationalistic fervor. Be the worst time to do it imo.

In anycase my favorite player ever is Glenn Anderson, who hated the media. So you thats kinda my bent as well. I haven't met many I care to discuss much with. Especially with a microphone around..

Just was pointing out that his personality hasnt always been roses. I like his personality, but there has been the bad question asked about it in the past. I ignored it at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad