Igor Larionov to Edmonton (Re: Yakupov) - Part II

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Only problem I have with Yak's answers were when asked about his defensive game he said "Play good. I play my game, Ialways play the same..." sorry Nail you did not play good in defensive zone. If you continue to play that way you are going to end up in the KHL.

I also did not like that he did not talk to Eakins before he started laying down trust issues. How is Eakins supposed to trust you if you would rather call Larionov then talk to him about your minutes.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The fact of the matter is oilers brass decided that Yakupov is the one who will be traded sometime over the summer. Fearing a revolt from the fan base they IMO thought it was best to turn the fans against him so when he is traded it hurts less because he " wasn't very good anyway". We have all seen this happen before. This team has a history of using misdirection to run guys out of town more than once.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Only problem I have with Yak's answers were when asked about his defensive game he said "Play good. I play my game, Ialways play the same..." sorry Nail you did not play good in defensive zone. If you continue to play that way you are going to end up in the KHL.

I also did not like that he did not talk to Eakins before he started laying down trust issues. How is Eakins supposed to trust you if you would rather call Larionov then talk to him about your minutes.

you don't, you know, think that maybe there is a bit of translation problem there? if you've watched his interviews before, his "i play my game" is a standard go-to answer for yakupov when he gets asked ANYTHING about his game.... this is standard for non-native speakers, to have multiple go-to answers when in conversations

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have watched it. Thanks, i develop a opinion close to others in the media. Weird.

Thats why we are having this argument. Yak thinks hes above the team. Some on here think thats fine, i think its wrong.

If you did watch it then go back to post 66 and look at the bolded and why you assumed these to be the case.

The presser was a series of loaded questions with the media actually planting questions and then posting false positives affirmations on it regardless of answers given and even assuming when answer not given.

The media posted whatever they wanted after regardless of the answers given and then twisting it around saying that they were Yak statements when they were nothing of the sort. They were the media planted statements.

If you don't follow that you won't do real well at assessing information from any media scrum.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If you did watch it then go back to post 75 and look at the bolded and why you assumed these to be the case.

The presser was a series of loaded questions with the media actually planting questions and then posting false positives affirmations on it.

The media posted whatever they wanted after regardless of the answers given and then twisting it around saying that they were Yak statements when they were nothing of the sort. They were the media planted statements.

If you don't follow that you won't do real well at assessing information from any media scrum.

Come on Replacement, Yak at 20 thinks he deserves more ice time, hes confused, young, russian, and needs to talk to his coach first. Thats a relationship they need to have. To bypass that and go to his agent and give the traded threat, well thats not saying much.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
you don't, you know, think that maybe there is a bit of translation problem there? if you've watched his interviews before, his "i play my game" is a standard go-to answer for yakupov when he gets asked ANYTHING about his game.... this is standard for non-native speakers, to have multiple go-to answers when in conversations

I was more pointing to the play good part. He has not played good but that doesn't help his argument does it? I have seen multiple times Yak staring at the guy shooting the puck in the net that is not a good play. That has to be out of his game before I give him more minutes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Some English problems come up about 3 times in the interview. I could probably give the exact times they come up. Kind of irresponsible as well for the media to be asking leading questions and preying for information to a person that is less well versed in English.
AS is the case with many of the Bryzgalov interviews as well the media is often asking questions that could be considered ambiguous or unclear or by using colloquialism . Making a language barrier even more difficult.

Somebody else should be around in such an interview.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was more pointing to the play good part. He has not played good but that doesn't help his argument does it? I have seen multiple times Yak staring at the guy shooting the puck in the net that is not a good play. That has to be out of his game before I give him more minutes.

yeah i know he hasn't played good, and i'm sure he knows it... my point is that he likely didn't understand the question... have you ever spoken to another person who only understood 60% of what you are saying? that is yakupov... this is why you get strange answers from him

i am in a university program where over 75% of my fellow students are non-native-english speakers.... when talking with them, you sometimes have to repeat the question 5 times before they understand and stop giving their "memorized answer".... watch yaks interviews, anytime people ask him about how he is playing, he says some version of "i play my game, i play hard"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unfortunately I think he's probably going to be traded. Not immediately, but probably in the summer, ala Lupul.

Maybe his game will start to really pick up though, specifically if he can get more looks on the PP and bury them.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
-How many players does Larionov represent?
-Why would he go to ESPN?
-And how many player agents do the Oiler franchise need to make angry?

1 more step to becoming the biggest laughing stock in all professional sports.

Might as well trade him to Buffalo for their 2015 1st round pick

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
This organization has a history of treating players badly and running them out of town for the wrong reasons. I gave them the benefit of the doubt in the past, but when it continues to occur time and time again, how can you trust the management group? This team has a poor reputation around the league as well.

I wouldn't blame any player who wants out of this mickey mouse organization. Fire these morons and get someone with actual hockey knowledge to run things before this nightmare gets worse.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Unfortunately I think he's probably going to be traded. Not immediately, but probably in the summer, ala Lupul.

Maybe his game will start to really pick up though, specifically if he can get more looks on the PP and bury them.

and when it happens, the oilers will lose this fan until the current management team is replaced

how allowing a coach to run a #1 draft pick out of town is okay by management is incomprehensible... especially when that player has more compete level than every player not named hall, something this team sorely lacks... that doesn't even take into account the players skill level and potential

this management team is a travesty, they all need to go

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
this entire thing is like watching a nightmare in slow motion.... i couldn't despise eakins more than i do, it almost wouldn't be possible without him directly doing something to me or my loved ones.... he is purposely screwing over my beloved oilers in order to prove a point, and because he thinks he is the smartest man in the room (when it is oh so clear that he might be the dumbest coach in the league)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Come on Replacement, Yak at 20 thinks he deserves more ice time, hes confused, young, russian, and needs to talk to his coach first. Thats a relationship they need to have. To bypass that and go to his agent and give the traded threat, well thats not saying much.

WE don't know how much that Yak has talked to the coach. A language confusion imo happened in the interview. Yak is quite possibly stating he doesn't wish to be speaking about Eakins(during the media scrum) when he stated "to Eakins". This could just be a verb shift as quite often occurs when going from one language syntax to another. They should have stopped it right there and get clarification. It wasn't clear that the question or answer were clear.
In anycase again the questions were loaded. Yak did not initiate comments in the exchange. They never for instance asked much for his pov, take, etc. he was put on the defensive in the interview and basically interrogated from the start.

I found it very odd. As if the Oilers had briefed the media on wanting it to be hard hitting. lets get the fifth estate out.. ;)

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
this entire thing is like watching a nightmare in slow motion.... i couldn't despise eakins more than i do, it almost wouldn't be possible without him directly doing something to me or my loved ones.... he is purposely screwing over my beloved oilers in order to prove a point, and because he thinks he is the smartest man in the room (when it is oh so clear that he might be the dumbest coach in the league)

Do you honestly think it's on purpose? Sadly I don't think it's intentional at all...

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Watching that interview, Yakupov is uncomfortable as all hell. He is getting absolutely grilled from all sides. Why didn't anyone from the Oilers step in to rescue the poor kid and drag him out of there?

I guess that's a rhetorical question. Someone should have.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
and when it happens, the oilers will lose this fan until the current management team is replaced

how allowing a coach to run a #1 draft pick out of town is okay by management is incomprehensible... especially when that player has more compete level than every player not named hall, something this team sorely lacks... that doesn't even take into account the players skill level and potential

this management team is a travesty, they all need to go

That's the frustrating part.

The kid is taking the instructions, trying to do it and he's clearly been improving.

The season is over. It's done. I can understand benching a player for a lack of defensive ability on a play-off team. But the Oilers season is cooked. Yak is competing and improving, but still being discouraged even though the main goal of this season should now be development.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Watching that interview, Yakupov is uncomfortable as all hell. He is getting absolutely grilled from all sides. Why didn't anyone from the Oilers step in to rescue the poor kid and drag him out of there?

Because the Oilers have the worst management in pro sports.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
Some English problems come up about 3 times in the interview. I could probably give the exact times they come up. Kind of irresponsible as well for the media to be asking leading questions and preying for information to a person that is less well versed in English.
AS is the case with many of the Bryzgalov interviews as well the media is often asking questions that could be considered ambiguous or unclear or by using colloquialism . Making a language barrier even more difficult.

Somebody else should be around in such an interview.

I know, they're stupid. Especially Rishaug. They're a bunch of little instigative trolls.

Last edited:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

I guess that's a rhetorical question. Someone should have.

Not only that, but where is this type of bombardment with the management? Gene was lobbing wiffle balls at MacT during his interview at the game last week, and the media goes to town on Yak.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I havent been watching all that closely this season, but looking at the stats, Yakupov has been playing the same minutes as he had at the end of last year except for these past 3 or 4 games. Is that really running him out of town? In his first 12 games played this season, 3 times he set a new career high for total time on ice. And he ended up with a goal and 2 assists, on pace for 20 points or so. So now his ice time is cut when we get healthy and him and/or his agent whine through the media. And then fans complain because he has to go in front of the media by himself? Sorry, but he brought that on himself.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
WE don't know how much that Yak has talked to the coach. A language confusion imo happened in the interview. Yak is quite possibly stating he doesn't wish to be speaking about Eakins(during the media scrum) when he stated "to Eakins". This could just be a verb shift as quite often occurs when going from one language syntax to another. They should have stopped it right there and get clarification. It wasn't clear that the question or answer were clear.
In anycase again the questions were loaded. Yak did not initiate comments in the exchange. They never for instance asked much for his pov, take, etc. he was put on the defensive in the interview and basically interrogated.

I found it very odd. As if the Oilers had briefed the media on wanting it to be hard hitting.

True and IMO they shouldnt have let Yak speak today. For all we know they told Yak not to and he chose to?

I just am trying to tell tell myself the Oilers wont mess this up. Im starting to think its on Yak more than the Oilers though. Hes been in the paper way to many times this year for all the wrong reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad