If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If Marner and Matthews have as good as a season as people in this thread are projecting (based on their salary projections), then I am happy as a clam to go deep and be cup contenders.

Funny how they are both overrated, but also worth ridiculous contracts at the same time. A strange dance we do with the hand wringers and trolls that lurk on these mainboards.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Our exchange is literally right here:

You said nothing of the sort. Grow the **** up, realize you've backed yourself into a corner and leave us to enjoy our uber talented organization.
Lazy. Go back further. Whether you get a return or whatever, you are still losing Nylander.

He is done with your organization. Don’t be mad at me, Dubas is the one made promises he can’t keep. And now they believe their players should “sacrifice salary to stay in the great city of Toronto” :laugh:

Literally nobody is going to do that while they enter the prime of their career. You’re all so blind it almost disgusting lol. If they expect marner to take a pay cut, have fun losing him as well. The “big 4” was over before it started.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Who said that?
Take a look at the dozens of trade proposals on the trade forum involving those guys. Consensus from non-leaf posters is that Marner doesn’t get you a young top-pairing guy and Nylander doesn’t even get you a young top-4 guy under a decent contract. Yet all these contract threads seem to have so many people saying Nylander is worth $8 million+ and Marner is $10 million. Well, if these two guys really are so great that they are worth those kind of contracts (ie. among the absolute richest in the NHL), then it stands to reason that either if them would be worth that top-2 dman Toronto desperately needs, correct?

So please, if Marner is really worth $10 million or more, then heck yeah he should fetch a Seth Jones caliber dman in return.

It can’t be both ways; if they are elite franchise players who deserve to have among the richest contracts in the NHL, then they should command similar value in a trade.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It depends on the offers. If Matthews is offered McDavid money, you take that deal before you hit RFA. Same with Marner, if he gets $10-$11 million per, you've got to sign that. Now if Matthews is being offered $7-$8 mil before he hits RFA, then you keep negotiating into the summer. Just because you become an RFA doesn't mean you have to listen to/accept offers from other teams. It can be a threat/negotiating tactic and time to get yourself a fair deal.

*Just a note, I'm not saying Leafs will low-ball either one of them or over-pay, I was just using them as an example. I think at least one will make it to summer unsigned, but neither will sign an offer sheet and both will be a Leaf next season.

Reactions: Dustin

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
That's pretty universal at HF. A player is awesome until your team wants to trade for them and then their value is reduced to garbage. Or they're overrated until their contract comes up they want to see the team hamstrung.

Personally I rate Matthews & Marner above Nylander and I think management does to. I think Matthews is second only to McDavid and he should ask for a similar salary.
Maybe I am noticing this more due to it being the Leafs this time around, but it is insufferable. Hard to have a reasonable discussion about either trades or contracts when there is these sort of nonsensical valuations spamming up threads.

As to your own points, a lot of what their next contracts will be depends on how they perform this year. Matthews will get paid well (although probably not quite the same as McDavid, the reson being that MacDavid is the best player in the whole NHL). Marner isn’t that level, and he is a winger. If he puts up 75-80 points he can maybe get Draisaitl money (that is similar production to Drai, but what hurts Marner again is that he is a winger), however if only puts up 60-70 points again we are looking at less than 7 million, more in the realm of Pastarnak, Ehlers, ect., so Marner definitely has more of a range in what he might command due to him being less certain as a trully top-shelf superstar.

By all means though, as certain fans here suggest, let some other team offersheet him for the $10+million they say he is worth. Leafs can happily take 4 first rounders; they will be set to contend for the next decade.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
That’s just it. Nobody is saying it’s a bad thing. Everyone is trying to make you fools understand that Nylander likely won’t play another game for your team, and it’s because they can’t commit to him at a high salary long term. It’s sinple but you all choose to be in denial.

Nylander has played his last game for Toronto. This is going to be gold when I’m right.
Quoted for posterity. I look forward to either a) Nylander signing for a reasonable cap hit or b) being traded for the top notch dman Toronto needs.

Reactions: TDK88 and Dustin

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Quoted for posterity. I look forward to either a) Nylander signing for a reasonable cap hit or b) being traded for the top notch dman Toronto needs.

Toronto definitely needs to trade Nylander for some defense.
We can give them Trouba.

Matthews is going to get a big signing for huge money.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this is dumb. these kids are gonna grow with the leafs, and they arent gonna fight for every last dollar knowing it kills their chance at a cup

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Toronto definitely needs to trade Nylander for some defense.
We can give them Trouba.

Matthews is going to get a big signing for huge money.

this is wouldnt mind. Nylander for Trouba straight up. kapanen has shown he can play well with am34 (even only if its a few games)

that being said the jets are probably worse off than the leafs cap wise. Myers is probably gone, Laine,Connor, are gonna get paid

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
this is wouldnt mind. Nylander for Trouba straight up. kapanen has shown he can play well with am34 (even only if its a few games)

that being said the jets are probably worse off than the leafs cap wise. Myers is probably gone, Laine,Connor, are gonna get paid
I thought the rumour was Trouba wants 8?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Players are smart. They know what their contracts are going to do the cap space of a team. So if they have any interest in winning a cup with their current team, they know they're going to have to leave money on the table. That's why crazy offer sheets are so rare, and why RFAs generally stay.

Agents can advise all they want, but at the end of the day, they do what their client wants them to do. And if both players want to stay and contend for the cup, that means working with the team on fair contracts, not ones maxed to the limit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For these 2 guys, I’m sure that they can sense that the nylander signing will impact their negotiations.

Whatever he ends up at, that’s likely the base to their negotiations from the leafs. Leafs likely come in saying marner is X% better so here’s your number. Mathews is Y% better so here’s your number.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For these 2 guys, I’m sure that they can sense that the nylander signing will impact their negotiations.

Whatever he ends up at, that’s likely the base to their negotiations from the leafs. Leafs likely come in saying marner is X% better so here’s your number. Mathews is Y% better so here’s your number.
The players and the agents still need to agree to it.

Eichel makes 10 million. You don't think Marners will want more if he posts a 90 point season? Or what if Matthews winds the Art Ross? Then McDavids number and more could come into the conversation.

The agents can easily say "no, we are not taking 1-2 million less. Take it trading away a depth guy who is overpaid. Or Zaitsev". Trading him frees up 4.5 million. 2 to Matthews, 1.5 to Marner. 1 to Zaitsevs replacement.

Teams can always find money to pay the top guys....and should. Just avoid paying the depth guys big money and term. They made that mistake with Zaitsev. Time will tell if it bites them back.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Watching Matthews and Marner right now you you have to think TML management are both excited and nervous as ****. They are both going to command BIG $.

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
If folks would look at teams with cap issues next year....look at the Ducks, Kings and Jets. The Leafs probably don't any player that are on bad contracts. And if there is a cap issue, a good player can be traded for value such picks or. low cost ELCs.
If Matthews win the MVP and is worth of 14m contract....is that really a problem?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I predicted this, HUGE miscalculation by Dubas and Shanahan. Both Matthews and Marner should have been signed this summer not the one upcoming. Marner would have taken 9x8 and Matthews 12x8. Now both of them are on their way to breakthrough seasons. Why would Marner take a penny less than Jack Eichel? Why would Matthews sign for anything less than topping what McDavid took 2 years before?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I predicted this, HUGE miscalculation by Dubas and Shanahan. Both Matthews and Marner should have been signed this summer not the one upcoming. Marner would have taken 9x8 and Matthews 12x8. Now both of them are on their way to breakthrough seasons. Why would Marner take a penny less than Jack Eichel? Why would Matthews sign for anything less than topping what McDavid took 2 years before?
Their agents are in total control if they keep producing anywhere close to what has happened in the first 5 games.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Their agents are in total control if they keep producing anywhere close to what has happened in the first 5 games.

Totally agree. If Matthews wins the Richard trophy with 100+ points, he is asking for McDavid money. If Marner produces at 90+ points, then he is asking for Eichel level money.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I would have to think in the case of Matthews that he eventually wants to return to the U.S. to play and in particular for Arizona....so probably he signs a nice 8 year contract with the leafs for now and leaves after the fact.....

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
They didn't need to retain, and the lost cap space might hurt them with one off the big 2 and nylandet

Cap was 10M lower when he was dealt and Kessel has a rep as being a secondary piece at the time.

Different circumstances and certainly not enough cap issues to cost us a talent like Nylander. We would rather dress a 4th line of bare minimum ELC kids than lose Nylander for pennies on the dollar

Reactions: TDK88

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5