If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Lazy. Go back further. Whether you get a return or whatever, you are still losing Nylander.

He is done with your organization. Don’t be mad at me, Dubas is the one made promises he can’t keep. And now they believe their players should “sacrifice salary to stay in the great city of Toronto” :laugh:

Literally nobody is going to do that while they enter the prime of their career. You’re all so blind it almost disgusting lol. If they expect marner to take a pay cut, have fun losing him as well. The “big 4” was over before it started.

The funny thing is that this kind of arrogant self-assured Trumpian bloviating is exactly what Leafs fans were hit with repeatedly for months when it became clear that Tavares would test free agency.

Weird how things turned out despite the feverish certainty with which many HF users guaranteed Tavares would never go to Toronto.

Nylander will be a Leaf. Get over it for your own sanity.

Reactions: leospaceman3434
Feb 24, 2017
I predicted this, HUGE miscalculation by Dubas and Shanahan. Both Matthews and Marner should have been signed this summer not the one upcoming. Marner would have taken 9x8 and Matthews 12x8. Now both of them are on their way to breakthrough seasons. Why would Marner take a penny less than Jack Eichel? Why would Matthews sign for anything less than topping what McDavid took 2 years before?
Dubas is the smartest man in any room. Just ask him.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I would have to think in the case of Matthews that he eventually wants to return to the U.S. to play and in particular for Arizona....so probably he signs a nice 8 year contract with the leafs for now and leaves after the fact.....

I mean it's speculation just like we speculate over every Toronto guy wanting to come play in Toronto. If Matthews brings us a cup then he can leave I don't care. He seems fully committed to doing that though and won't leave before then.

I can’t imagine how insane it would be to win in a city like Toronto. Just because they love the Leafs and the players and they’re so passionate. It’s actually something I think about quite a bit. I want to win so badly, and so does everybody on the team. We have a product that can really compete for a championship. When I’m lying in bed at night and thinking about what it would be like, it’s just… it’s insanity. Honestly.

source

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I mean it's speculation just like we speculate over every Toronto guy wanting to come play in Toronto. If Matthews brings us a cup then he can leave I don't care. He seems fully committed to doing that though and won't leave before then.

source
Of course...it is all conjecture at this point.....at the very least Toronto will have him for a good 8 years and that is not to shabby!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Toronto media really wants to see everyone leave the Leafs I see. I have never seen so much talk of young players leaving. And none of them thought Tavares would ever join the Leafs.
Non-stop talk on Sportsnet about Matthews/Marner/Nylander leaving.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I really hope the Islanders throw Matthews a 4 year 13M dollar deal(knowing full well the Leafs will match)

Mar 26, 2010
Neither Matthews or Marner will see RFA status. They will be signed long before July, 1st. Take that to the bank. In fact, I would not be surprised if both were already signed, but the Toronto brass is not announcing it until Nylander is signed as well. No need for any more distractions with the Nylander deal.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
There seems to be a pretty tight understanding between the teams to not use this option as it is bad for the league in general.

At some point the desire to win Cups must outweigh the desire for max compensation. Matthews for example can get one of the highest contracts in the league without going down this road.

In this premise that extra 4’ish million a year just makes keeping a deep competitive team together near impossible.

AM should be able to cash in again after a 7 or 8 year deal expires.

Marner is less likely to get the amount he wants without playing hard ball.

Either way offer sheets don’t seem like a viable strategy anymore.

Why should AM wait until a 7 or 8 year deal expires before he gets max value? Pay that man.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The players and the agents still need to agree to it.

Eichel makes 10 million. You don't think Marners will want more if he posts a 90 point season? Or what if Matthews winds the Art Ross? Then McDavids number and more could come into the conversation.

The agents can easily say "no, we are not taking 1-2 million less. Take it trading away a depth guy who is overpaid. Or Zaitsev". Trading him frees up 4.5 million. 2 to Matthews, 1.5 to Marner. 1 to Zaitsevs replacement.

Teams can always find money to pay the top guys....and should. Just avoid paying the depth guys big money and term. They made that mistake with Zaitsev. Time will tell if it bites them back.

Zaitsev has been excellent. He was excellent as a rookie and excellent last year before he got injured. This whole he is a cap dump BS needs to stop. He has been an excellent defensive top 4 D so far this year for the team.

That retained salary on Kessel would come in handy now.

That was a rare bad trade by the leafs

At the time this board was calling him a cap dump and untradeable. I remember a thread asking if he ha negative value appearing and being popular before the trade. Looking back now is what this board does best but there were a ton of factors. Let's also not forget there was only 1 team interested that Phil had on his list.

Also here is some reading. Gets good 4-5 pages in. Last Kessel thread while he was a Leaf. And people say there is no Leaf bias.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-truth-about-phil-kessel.1908063/

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I still don’t think that’s incentive enough for him to spend his prime years on that team.

Nah apparently the Leafs can't have a good player who likes playing here. He obviously hates it and is just waiting to get out. Reading the comments on some boards is laughable about him. People honestly think he hates it here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nick Kypreos today said the Leafs should be terrified by the potential for Matthews and Marner to be offer sheeted - he's right. At this point if you're an agent you have the obligation to recommend your players make themselves available for offer sheets, the players of course don't have to take the advice. This is a pretty rare opportunity where a player who may soon be the among the top 3 players in the game becomes semi-available. For the teams that have the necessary compensatory draft picks I don't think the $16M Matthews would cost causes you to think twice about making the offer. Of course the Leafs match but you still make the offer, you would be doing significant cap damage to a team that is a Cup contender. A GM owes it to his owner to do that and an owner owes it to the team's fans.

Why Maple Leafs should be petrified of upcoming offer sheets - Sportsnet.ca
wait wait wait, soooooo lemme get this straight

The Leafs should be "petrified" that they drafted and groomed 2 supertsars , worthy of such consideration????

wows, i have never ever seen a team do that and get away with it, contract wise, how will they ever deal with the impossible????

well other then Wash,Pitt,Chi,Tbay,Boston,LA,,,,shall i go on? or is the point made? Made it work.

pure and utter click bait

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The Toronto media really wants to see everyone leave the Leafs I see. I have never seen so much talk of young players leaving. And none of them thought Tavares would ever join the Leafs.
Non-stop talk on Sportsnet about Matthews/Marner/Nylander leaving.

our media hear only thrives when it is chewing on "the bone of strife and controversy"

it's the only narrative they have had around here for 10+ years

now that there is LITERALLY nothing organic for them to chew on

they don't know what to do, so they have to resort to making crap up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00