If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews will get an offer for 12-13 million per and sign. End of story. Leafs have the money to sign him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
'Why having a good team is actually a bad thing'

I wonder why this kind of genius logic didn't come up in the past with other good teams.

Same thing is said in every single thread on the main boards about the Jets.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Absolutely. Those chances are times 8. I would take them everytime. And that is only assuming that over the 4 years the team is successful. If there are injuries or who knows they could fall and now the Leafs are drafting much higher.

Look we obviously disagree but like I said if any team wants to offer four unprotected 1st round picks for Nylander we will take that and run.
8 chances in 4 years times about 20 non lottery picks per year.

Assuming there is one pastrnak level talent per year available outside of the top ten, your odds double from 5% to 10%.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They will find the money and tough choices will have to be made. Matthews is better than Tavares and will/should ask for more (12+ M AAV long term). Likewise, Marner is the key to their dominant PP unit. I don’t see how he asks for a penny less than 9 M AAV long term.

The argument there will be RFA vs UFA. Tavares takes a good contract as a RFA and then had several teams upping offers for over a week before he got his max offer and deciding where to go (and he left money on the table).

Now, his agent is for sure going to try that angle and honestly no idea how it will work. I will say, Matthews is a humble kid with his head on his shoulders. He has said the right things so far, and has talked about how he wants to win with the Leafs. He is going to get paid but I am thinking they might be able to talk him into taking a matching AAV as Tavares as "taking a bit less" and also to avoid media BS.

Of course the other side is he loves the spotlight and might want to be paid more just to show he is the guy. I also wonder if his ego can take not being paid like McDavid considering he is compared to him so much. However I think that these are distant worries that are more worst case scenario than likely scenarios.

I am sure he will be a Leaf for a long time. He wants to win here and will make it work. I honestly think he will be a Leaf for life just because of his love of the spotlight and him becoming the new face of the sport with all the hype and media. I think the only threat is Arizona and I think that it only happens IF they are competitive and IF his mom asks him to (He is a big momma's boy and I think if she said it would mean a lot to her he would do it).

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Are you trying to say the Jets cap situation is discussed as much? It is not. Sportsnet has had 3 major stories in the past 2 days about Leaf losing all their young talent.

Not saying that in the least, as a Leaf fan you have to expect more articles about the Leafs vs any other team due to the fact media is a business trying to make money and the biggest fan base is the Leafs. That’s why regardless where the Leafs have ended in the standings over the years the media is dominated with stories (good & bad) regarding the team or their players. What I said specifically is that the Jets cap issues are discussed in every single thread having anything to do with the Jets on the main boards.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Absolutely. Those chances are times 8. I would take them everytime. And that is only assuming that over the 4 years the team is successful. If there are injuries or who knows they could fall and now the Leafs are drafting much higher.

Look we obviously disagree but like I said if any team wants to offer four unprotected 1st round picks for Nylander we will take that and run.

Agree with you four firsts for Nylander. Leafs take take easily. But the other fact is now the Leafs have 6.5m (money they have allotted for Nylander) to spend on another player(s). Maybe not this year but for the next few years which also helps the team.

Reactions: Dustin

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Agree with you four firsts for Nylander. Leafs take take easily. But the other fact is now the Leafs have 6.5m (money they have allotted for Nylander) to spend on another player(s). Maybe not this year but for the next few years which also helps the team.

Yeah. The $6.5 you could use to sign a Dman. Furthermore so could some of the draft picks be used to trade for one as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JadedLeaf

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
8 chances in 4 years times about 20 non lottery picks per year.

Assuming there is one pastrnak level talent per year available outside of the top ten, your odds double from 5% to 10%.

Sure. Even with those odds I take the four 1st's. They all don't have to be Pastrnak, there's quite a long list of average to good players picked in the 20's.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Sure. Even with those odds I take the four 1st's. They all don't have to be Pastrnak, there's quite a long list of average to good players picked in the 20's.
Leafs are stacked with top end talent so in their case the depth created by draft picks might be more beneficial.

Most teams can't afford to let first line players go for draft picks.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Leafs are stacked with top end talent so in their case the depth created by draft picks might be more beneficial.

Most teams can't afford to let first line players go for draft picks.

Agreed. The depth would be great.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Winnipeg and Tampa has issues. Anyone ever going to discuss that?

Tampa's a situation where they have the Kucherov and McDonaugh (gag) raises next year. Everybody seems to have to think Yzerman is the boy genius but his 7 Tampa teams missed the playoffs 3 times, despite having two # one overall picks...Hedman and Stamkos Yes they made the Finals twice. Dubas wouldn't last that long as Leaf GM with that record.
The Ducks have real cap issue next season and beyond as they can't add high end player. Same with Kings. Even the Sharks might not have enough cap for any additions.
Fans seem to think the Leaf have cap problems....well not really. The Leafs don't really have much money tied up in bad contracts, so if a high priced player has to be traded for cap reason, and least the Leaf will be getting value back in return.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Why should AM wait until a 7 or 8 year deal expires before he gets max value? Pay that man.

You’re probably right.
If given the hypothetical choice of
12m a year and 2 cups on an 8 year contract
Or
16m a year and no cups over the same time

What should he do?
That’s a huge difference in money.
But a lot of these athletes are also playing to win championships. Maxing out his own contract would make it harder for his team to have the best roster they could.

Obviously the scenario above is impossible because there’s no guarantee of any cups regardless of what he signs for.

I used 16 as a number because some suggested that earlier in the thread. Personally as a fan in general, insane inflation on player salaries is terrible for everyone else. The NHL is a gate driven league and the money for said salaries has to come out of the fans pockets. With essentially stagnant wages since the 70’s people are being priced out of attending games.

Oh well. Eventually games may be played to empty arenas.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Tampa's a situation where they have the Kucherov and McDonaugh (gag) raises next year. Everybody seems to have to think Yzerman is the boy genius but his 7 Tampa teams missed the playoffs 3 times, despite having two # one overall picks...Hedman and Stamkos Yes they made the Finals twice. Dubas wouldn't last that long as Leaf GM with that record.

Tavares was #1, Hedman was #2

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Visuals of Matthews, Marner and agents negotiating contract:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->