If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Nick Kypreos today said the Leafs should be terrified by the potential for Matthews and Marner to be offer sheeted - he's right. At this point if you're an agent you have the obligation to recommend your players make themselves available for offer sheets, the players of course don't have to take the advice. This is a pretty rare opportunity where a player who may soon be the among the top 3 players in the game becomes semi-available. For the teams that have the necessary compensatory draft picks I don't think the $16M Matthews would cost causes you to think twice about making the offer. Of course the Leafs match but you still make the offer, you would be doing significant cap damage to a team that is a Cup contender. A GM owes it to his owner to do that and an owner owes it to the team's fans.

Why Maple Leafs should be petrified of upcoming offer sheets - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blowfish

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Whenever you can negotiate a contract the player is happy with you've done a fine job. Whether tomorrow or next year makes no difference.

BTW as a Leaf fan i'm tired of the scads of threads on the mains. I avoid the Leafs board so as not to get saturated with the same general topic.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I have never seen so much **** about offer sheets (there's a reason they never get done) until the elite Leafs youngsters hit the scene.

Holy sweet god you people will grasp at anything.
Well, someone who I'd expect to grasp at anything is Chayka, because Matthews would be an enormous boost for the organization and I doubt he would decline, also.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
they both will be signed dont care about Nylander, but both Matthews and Marner will be signed long term for the leafs, lol Kypreos is looking for ratings, the OP must not understand the T.O media.... its making money of the controversy....

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
There seems to be a pretty tight understanding between the teams to not use this option as it is bad for the league in general.

At some point the desire to win Cups must outweigh the desire for max compensation. Matthews for example can get one of the highest contracts in the league without going down this road.

In this premise that extra 4’ish million a year just makes keeping a deep competitive team together near impossible.

AM should be able to cash in again after a 7 or 8 year deal expires.

Marner is less likely to get the amount he wants without playing hard ball.

Either way offer sheets don’t seem like a viable strategy anymore.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
They would be wise to do so but NHL GM's are chicken when it comes to offer sheets.

NHL GMs are a close knit clique in my opinion. The last thing they want to do is make their golf outings awkward by signing their buddies best player.

And IMO Matthews would be worth the compensatory picks, while Nylander, not so much.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I am getting tired of the media hype over this. Where is the concern over other teams cap situation? If you put Horton on LTIR, the Leafs have the most cap space of any team.
I thought the national media loved the Leafs and fawned over them?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I have never seen so much **** about offer sheets (there's a reason they never get done) until the elite Leafs youngsters hit the scene.

My favourite is Arizona has the $$ to offer an insane contract of 16 million per.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
4 1sts, each. I mean if Toronto is going to lose Matthews and Marner (remember Toronto has the opportunity to match the offer) getting 8 1st round picks is one hell of a compensation

I think what is most surprising is how the media is ganging up on the Leafs. The Leafs are probably the most popular team, but I guess bullshit sells! Sucks in the lovers and haters at the same time

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Marner and Matthews would have to sign it and I’m pretty sure they like Toronto way more than any other team.
Idk if that's true at all... if the leafs are trying to get you to take a discount, and a team comes up and offers your 2-4 million a more a season.... you prob at least going to put some thought into that. Specially if said team looks like they have a solid foundation to be a contender.

I doubt either leave(ultimately I think nylander is moved for defensive help), and I think they'll sign pretty fair contracts Matthews 11.5-12 range, marner 8-9 range. But to think they wouldn't consider it is a bit crazy, assuming there is a fairly large difference in what the leafs are offering, and the team offering is building a solid team.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
If I’m their agent, as long as they are happy on the Leafs, I would advise them to sign as soon as they get an offer for a long term contract with a fair AAV, lockout proof and good limited NMC. Guarantees they (and I) make money no matter what happens from the moment they ink it.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Idk if that's true at all... if the leafs are trying to get you to take a discount, and a team comes up and offers your 2-4 million a more a season.... you prob at least going to put some thought into that. Specially if said team looks like they have a solid foundation to be a contender.

I doubt either leave(ultimately I think nylander is moved for defensive help), and I think they'll sign pretty fair contracts Matthews 11.5-12 range, marner 8-9 range. But to think they wouldn't consider it is a bit crazy, assuming there is a fairly large difference in what the leafs are offering, and the team offering is building a solid team.
Whatever team that looks like a contender won't be for long after losing 4 first round draft picks. Nylander can be traded, Tavares, Matthews and Marner are not going anywhere. Those 3 up front is more than enough offense for the next decade +.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

The next 12 months are going to be terribly annoying. And fans wonder why they get it right back on here with the high number of Leafs threads. Can't make threads about the Leafs youngsters getting offer-sheeted and then bitch and moan about threads talking about how great they are.

Reactions: IPS

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why didn't McDavid do it? Why didn't he hold out and wait for an offer sheet from Toronto? Come on this is getting pathetic guys. This is from Matthews himself

"I can’t imagine how insane it would be to win in a city like Toronto. … Just because they (fans) love the Leafs and the players and they’re so passionate. It’s actually something I think about quite a bit,” Matthews said.
“I want to win so badly, and so does everybody on the team. We have a product that can really compete for a championship.
“When I’m lying in bed at night and thinking about what it would be like, it’s just … it’s insanity. Honestly."

Does this mean he will never leave? No. However it does mean he wants to at least try to win in Toronot, which means Matthews will be a Leaf until he is near 30. Then, if he chooses, he can go home or choose to stay on a hopefully winning team like Stamkos and many before did with the Leafs.

However, I think people should remember. If Matthews wants to go home, there is another UFA around that same time who grew up a Leaf fan. If everyone is going home, why can't McDavid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad