If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Toronto definitely needs to trade Nylander for some defense.
We can give them Trouba.

Matthews is going to get a big signing for huge money.

trouba/nylander being the center pieces of a deal, with some tweaking here and there is a sound premise

as for matty, ummm yup, but in the same boat as laine and conner might get the same talk as marner,,, just saying.

Reactions: tntkid

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The players and the agents still need to agree to it.

Eichel makes 10 million. You don't think Marners will want more if he posts a 90 point season? Or what if Matthews winds the Art Ross? Then McDavids number and more could come into the conversation.

The agents can easily say "no, we are not taking 1-2 million less. Take it trading away a depth guy who is overpaid. Or Zaitsev". Trading him frees up 4.5 million. 2 to Matthews, 1.5 to Marner. 1 to Zaitsevs replacement.just to point out a fact, the agent does not have the final say, he works FOR the player and the player can say yes.

Teams can always find money to pay the top guys....and should. Just avoid paying the depth guys big money and term. They made that mistake with Zaitsev. Time will tell if it bites them back.
4.5m for a dman that plays in OUR top 4 is not a "depth signing and so far it's not been a mistake.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Why would Matthews go to Long Island when his newest teammate can just tell him all the nightmares he went through in his first nine years in the league with the Islanders?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Zaitsev has been excellent. He was excellent as a rookie and excellent last year before he got injured. This whole he is a cap dump BS needs to stop. He has been an excellent defensive top 4 D so far this year for the team.

Honestly I think people's biggest issue with him is the amount. If he was making 750k-1m less, he'd be viewed far more favourably. He's one of those "overpaid" players, but sometimes you gotta do that. His first year I actually thought he was the Leafs best dman overall.

And the thing about offer sheeting someone is that they are rather pointless if the player does not accept them. I am sure they happen all the time but because they aren't accepted, you don't hear about them. Like this past summer, Reinhart Morrissey and Nurse were probably offered contracts by other teams, but seeing they had no interest in leaving we never heard about them.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Honestly I think people's biggest issue with him is the amount. If he was making 750k-1m less, he'd be viewed far more favourably. He's one of those "overpaid" players, but sometimes you gotta do that. His first year I actually thought he was the Leafs best dman overall.

And the thing about offer sheeting someone is that they are rather pointless if the player does not accept them. I am sure they happen all the time but because they aren't accepted, you don't hear about them. Like this past summer, Reinhart Morrissey and Nurse were probably offered contracts by other teams, but seeing they had no interest in leaving we never heard about them.
To be fair, it's the term that's the issue. Otherwise, he's making standard for a top-four defenseman.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
To be fair, it's the term that's the issue. Otherwise, he's making standard for a top-four defenseman.

Maybe a bit of both. But a 5 year contract at 3.75m suddenly makes that player seen more favourably than 5 years at 4.5m. Like in the first one, you suddenly have a lot more wiggle room to make mistakes or have a "bad year".

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Honestly if the canucks win the draft lottery and get hughes i wouldnt mind the canucks giving it a shot to get matthews the center depth would be insane move petterson to the left wing and you would still have matthews-hughes-horvat as your center depth but ofcourse this is all fantasy land things

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Of course they're both waiting and both will get paid handsomely. Babs and the management group aren't completely sold on Nylander which is what led to the hold out.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Zaitsev has been excellent. He was excellent as a rookie and excellent last year before he got injured. This whole he is a cap dump BS needs to stop. He has been an excellent defensive top 4 D so far this year for the team.

4.5m for a dman that plays in OUR top 4 is not a "depth signing and so far it's not been a mistake.

The entire point of my post was to say that you can always find money for your star players....and the Leafs will. And if it means sacrificing a Zaitsev, you do it. I chose him because with Sandin and Liljegren coming, they could/should take 2 of the top 4 spots. Then you have Rielly. So that leaves 1 spot that needs filling....and if the Leafs wanted to, could trade WN for a ELC Dman with top pairing upside.

Again, WHOLE the point is that the Leafs will find the money for their top guys.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
The entire point of my post was to say that you can always find money for your star players....and the Leafs will. And if it means sacrificing a Zaitsev, you do it. I chose him because with Sandin and Liljegren coming, they could/should take 2 of the top 4 spots. Then you have Rielly. So that leaves 1 spot that needs filling....and if the Leafs wanted to, could trade WN for a ELC Dman with top pairing upside.

Again, WHOLE the point is that the Leafs will find the money for their top guys.

They will find the money and tough choices will have to be made. Matthews is better than Tavares and will/should ask for more (12+ M AAV long term). Likewise, Marner is the key to their dominant PP unit. I don’t see how he asks for a penny less than 9 M AAV long term.

Reactions: Tripod

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nobody is getting offer sheeted. But what I don't get is why GMs see them as a dick move. An RFA and a UFA are both free agents. Only difference is one comes with conditions. But neither has a contract with the team they last played for.

well, i think the GM that is being sheeted feels like they are being financially attacked by outsiders

to win a offer sheet, the team would have to offer more then market value to actually "get the player" , A) to get the player to sign,,B) to get the team not to match

but here is the part no one ever ever talks about

"what about the team that actually gets the player they sheeted" and the repercussions/chain reactions from that?

take NYI as an example ,let say they land melander at 7.5/8m per , that sets a team precedent,,, so what does Barzel after a 85p rookie season demand?,,,,if melanders 60p winger seasons are worth 7.5/8m to the islanders, what is Barzel their #1 C worth 10m/11m??? 85p rookie #1C>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>60p 3rd year winger

and the exact same debate can be made IF Colorado tries it How much will 84P 6.4ft power forward Rantanen cost them again 10/11m per??? both are wingers playing with superstar C one racks up 30g 84p as a powerforward,,,,,,the other 20g 61p perimeter player

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017

That's pretty debatable. Zaitsev has not lived up to the expectations of that contract in any way, shape, or form. He's been brutal, and he knows it. He's also been fighting off injuries in the first year of his contract, so there's a lot more time for him to prove everyone wrong. We've seen the glimpses of his ability to be a two-way defenseman, so I'm fairly confident he'll make that contract a wash. But to say that it hasn't been a mistake when the results have been substandard is farcical.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
They will find the money and tough choices will have to be made. Matthews is better than Tavares and will/should ask for more (12+ M AAV long term). Likewise, Marner is the key to their dominant PP unit. I don’t see how he asks for a penny less than 9 M AAV long term.

But both players are RFAs not UFAs. Is Marner going to get paid the 3rd best RW money in the league? He can ask for 9m, but the only real leverage he has if someone offers sheets a 9m contract.
If reports are true about Nylander asking for 8m....we he seen successful he has been getting anywhere near that money. He's a 6.5m player right now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

well 1rst off, i would argue the best way to "find room" is to not pay outrageous contract values to RFAs

2nd, sandin and little grin (both whom i love as our prospects) are still sometime away from "limelight ,cup contention roles". One can fairly argue thats where we are right now.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
As @Tripod said, the Leafs have a multitude of moving parts in their defense and forward corps that they can subtract to make room for their core forwards. I don't believe Gardiner will be here beyond the end of this season, and there's a strong chance that one or both of Liljegren and Sandin will be ready to take the next step while Dermott moves up to the second pairing. That opens up about $5,000,000 in cap space. Further to that, people are forgetting that the Leafs current cap space also factors in the bonuses that Marner and Matthews have attained -- this leaves the impression that the kids are making far less than they really are (they are not making $925,000).

Connor Brown is also another possible moving piece. He's a good little player, but for what the Leafs are trying to do, I don't think he's a good fit in Toronto as a north / south player. He's fast, but his hands aren't fast enough to keep up with his feet. He's smart, but not able to think at the level of his line-mates in the top-nine. He can kill penalties, but we have Kapanen, Hyman, Tavares, Marner, Lindholm, etc. He's making $2,100,000 right now, and has one more year on top of this one. He'll probably be the most likely candidate to move.

The Leafs are fine. What they need to continue doing is drafting well and developing properly.

Reactions: Tripod

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Matthews will get 13m+ and Marner is going to want 10. I would not be surprised to see an offer sheet(s) thrown at Matthews for 15x5 or something equally huge. There are probably 25 teams in the league that would benefit greatly from Matthews and could make the numbers work.

If Matthews stays in Toronto and signs for 13m, and Marner signs for 9-10m, and if you factor in tavares at 11m, that would be 34m locked up in THREE players. If the leafs and Nylander come to an agreement around 7m, that's 40m on 4 players.

That leaves 39m for the other 18 roster players. An average of 2.16m available PER player.

That is why people are making a big deal about this.

It's a good problem to have, but it will take some luck or some concessions from the players to make it work.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
well, i think the GM that is being sheeted feels like they are being financially attacked by outsiders

to win a offer sheet, the team would have to offer more then market value to actually "get the player" , A) to get the player to sign,,B) to get the team not to match

but here is the part no one ever ever talks about

"what about the team that actually gets the player they sheeted" and the repercussions/chain reactions from that?

take NYI as an example ,let say they land melander at 7.5/8m per , that sets a team precedent,,, so what does Barzel after a 85p rookie season demand?,,,,if melanders 60p winger seasons are worth 7.5/8m to the islanders, what is Barzel their #1 C worth 10m/11m??? 85p rookie #1C>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>60p 3rd year winger

and the exact same debate can be made IF Colorado tries it How much will 84P 6.4ft power forward Rantanen cost them again 10/11m per??? both are wingers playing with superstar C one racks up 30g 84p as a powerforward,,,,,,the other 20g 61p perimeter player

Well, it's not like every offer sheet has to be an insane financial incentive compared to what their team offers them. Like if I'm Nylander, and I'm wanting 8m for 8 years (and I'd settle for let's say 7.2) and the Leafs are offering me only 6.5m for 8, and the Isles offer me 7.3m for 8 years, you're damn right I am signing that while hoping the Leafs match. Although I'd actually swing back to Toronto and tell them I've been offered that contract but won't tell them who did it. They can find that out when I sign it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Matthews is the type of player you offer sheet. I don't think the other two are. With that being said, I think Matthews will take a discount to keep the team together.

well JT talked to matty before he signed here, we as fans know a little bit of what they talked about , that came straight from those 2 players.

so either matty is a man of his word or he is not,,,time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00