If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
They weren’t? Bull. Shit. We were expected to have a Hart Trophy candidate in Panarin, a top 5-10 center in the league in Zibanejad, one of the best 1st pairings in the league in Fox and Lindgren, two Calder candidates in Igor and Lafreniere, and great support players in Buchnevich, Kreider, Strome, Chytil, Kakko (who did take that next step), and Trouba.

And that was before Miller emerged as a top 4 defenseman, before Fox emerged as a Norris Trophy candidate, before Strome picked up his game, before Buchnevich became a complete player, and before Kravtsov became a top 6 forward instantly. Mika’s slow start, Panarin’s leave of absence, DeAngelo being waived, and bad goaltending at the start of the season definitely made it harder, but we should still have been in a much better spot than we are right now. I think we take for granted how scary talented of a team we are.

I think if you looked at expectations for this season, once the schedule and divisions were announced, everyone basically said playoffs were an extreme longshot, and that at best we'd sit at 5th.
We're playing meaningful games into late april/may. While dealing with all of the challenges that you mentioned. The amount of wins we lost due to injury/etc is significant.
As much as we dont like how he developed the kids, its either worked through his "plan" or they just overcame his coaching, but both kakko and laf look like top 6 forwards at this point.
The biggest knock on quinn at this part is his over use of blackwell and howden.

Quinn may not be a great coach, but he's likely hitting the expectations for this season, next season should be the playoff mandate.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think if you looked at expectations for this season, once the schedule and divisions were announced, everyone basically said playoffs were an extreme longshot, and that at best we'd sit at 5th.
We're playing meaningful games into late april/may. While dealing with all of the challenges that you mentioned. The amount of wins we lost due to injury/etc is significant.
As much as we dont like how he developed the kids, its either worked through his "plan" or they just overcame his coaching, but both kakko and laf look like top 6 forwards at this point.
The biggest knock on quinn at this part is his over use of blackwell and howden.

Quinn may not be a great coach, but he's likely hitting the expectations for this season, next season should be the playoff mandate.

The biggest difference between Quinn and other coaches is that the people on this board don't follow every move those other coaches make. They don't over-analyze every decision those coaches make. Everyone who hates Quinn would probably say that Trotz is a great coach (and he is), but Trotz has healthy scratched both Dobson and Wahlstrom at times this year in favor of "lesser" players. I'm sure if Trotz were our coach, and we were in the same position, there would be the same exact people saying the same exact things about decisions they don't agree with. I'm sure that when Quinn is eventually let go (and he will be at some point, all coaches are), those same people will praise the hiring of the new coach, but within 2 years, they'll be complaining about him just like they do now with Quinn. It's a never ending cycle.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Honestly whether he makes the playoffs or not shouldn't be the barometer. There are plenty of bad coaches who can get their teams into the playoffs (we saw it with AV year after year here. Boudreau has gotten into the playoffs a bunch, Mike Yeo, etc.)

David Quinn is a bad coach and should be replaced for that and that alone. This team looks ready to turn a corner and I do not want him getting in the way of that.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sorry but they that logic all 15 teams that miss the playoffs should have your poll?
no because some teams should have no reasonable expectations to make the playoffs. No one should be asking for Eakins head or DJ Smith because the Ducks and Senators are going to miss. Even Lindy Ruff can't be blamed for what happened in NJ. Check the stats, the Rangers are top 10 in every single major positive statistic (gf, ga, pp%, pk%, gdiff) and all these high end players. So whats' the weakness? Faceoffs, but those aren't that important apparently. The record in 1 goal games... you can blame the players, or YoUNgeSt tEAm iN The LEagUE, but i'd wager a better coach managed get his team over the hump in at least a few of those games. And then we're an easy playoff team.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
everyone basically said playoffs were an extreme longshot, and that at best we'd sit at 5th.
no, people said that we'd better not have another slow start because in this format its nearly impossible to dig out of a hole. So of course the team was completely unprepared for the start of the season, a Quinn signature, and dug that hole instantly. Season was basically over 2 or 3 weeks into the season vis a vis playoffs. Now we'll need a miracle just to have a chance to squeak in.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I guess you only watch the Rangers. Pittsburgh had worse goaltending to start the year and Malkin missed 20 games.
The Isles lost Anders Lee for 20 games and Devon Toews to Colorado.
He is simply not a good coach. Some men are good for college and not meant for the NHL.
Did Pitt's starting goalie get injured and miss 10 games? And while Malkin was missing his 20, was Crosby ALSO out 10 games? And let's add in someone like McCann missing substantial time with an injury AND Covid at the same time?

Isles? How many games did the Isles play without BOTH Lee and Barzal? How do you think that they would have fared for that stretch of games?

Reactions: haveandare

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So of course the team was completely unprepared for the start of the season, a Quinn signature, and dug that hole instantly.
When your elite top line center is playing at the level of an NHL also-ran because he had friggin' Covid AND the goalies are letting in beach balls, it is going to be rather hard that and have a hot start.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
no, people said that we'd better not have another slow start because in this format its nearly impossible to dig out of a hole. So of course the team was completely unprepared for the start of the season, a Quinn signature, and dug that hole instantly. Season was basically over 2 or 3 weeks into the season vis a vis playoffs. Now we'll need a miracle just to have a chance to squeak in.

Both are true. People said we need to avoid the slow start because of the short schedule. The expectation was also that we'd finish 5th or 6th in the division, but be playing meaningful games in April and May. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

There's definitely a big part of the slow start that's Quinn's responsibility. He can't control Zibanejad's Covid, the struggles of the goalies early, Chytil's injury, or the youth of the team and how that relates closely to the one-goal game record. That is not a full list of the things that he can affect though, and there are plenty of things that could've been different. Since the problems Zibanejad was having were more physical, I would have reduced his role until he worked out of it. I think he still would have. That's an example. Without the Chytil injury, it's possible that would've happened anyway. Personally, I also think naming a captain would've been helpful too, because a dispersed leadership group resulted, sort of predictably, in a leadership vacuum. When the team turned the corner, Kreider stepped up to fill it. More recently, Trouba had stepped up before his injury. Even Strome, without a letter at all, and Smith have stepped up in leadership roles. Perhaps putting the responsibility directly on a player from the start might have helped.

But despite all of those factors leading to the slow start, the team is still exactly where the vast majority of people thought they would be.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm only firing him if it's a move for a clear upgrade. There's no point in firing him for a long, millions of candidates search.

If Sullian or Brind'Amor are available and you want to make that move, great.

But the next coach is going to hear the same complaints. There's like 9 forwards who people want to see on PP1 and play 25 mins a night.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't really think it matter what we think as it matters what JD and Gorton think. But IMO, Quinn guaranteed himself that he's keeping his gig for next year due to Rangers having the best record in the league since March 17th(not a misprint).

As much as he is detestable to a large majority of my Ranger brothers in here, I'm not one of them who hates the guy or thinks he's not a fairly decent coach who can get better. So I'm in the camp that he'll be here next season when we don't make the playoffs and that he deserves to be here.

Whether his detractors want to admit it or not, the Rangers have been kicking friggen total ass the past 6 weeks and that has come under his watch like it or not. Over past 6 weeks Kakko,Chytil and Laffy have emerged as no doubt about it top 6 forwards while Shesty has once again showed he's a top 5 goalie in the league.

Over past 6 weeks Zibby and Bread have dominated and taken over like they did last year all of this has come under Quinn's watch. Sure we had a shitty start to the season for a variety of reasons Quinn had no control over but bottom line is there is no way on gods green earth do you get rid of him when the team is doing exactly what it was expected to do over the past 6 weeks.

This has been fun the past month and a half and this is the way it's going to be going forward for the next 7-10 years whether Quinn is here or not. For now tho and likely for the immdiate future, you Quinn haters get used to him being here cause he aint going anywhere like it or not.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Both are true. People said we need to avoid the slow start because of the short schedule. The expectation was also that we'd finish 5th or 6th in the division, but be playing meaningful games in April and May. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Not dealing in absolutes: two minutes in the box.

There's definitely a big part of the slow start that's Quinn's responsibility. He can't control Zibanejad's Covid, the struggles of the goalies early, Chytil's injury, or the youth of the team and how that relates closely to the one-goal game record. That is not a full list of the things that he can affect though, and there are plenty of things that could've been different. Since the problems Zibanejad was having were more physical, I would have reduced his role until he worked out of it. I think he still would have. That's an example. Personally, I also think naming a captain would've been helpful too, because a dispersed leadership group resulted, sort of predictably, in a leadership vacuum. When the team turned the corner, Kreider stepped up to fill it. More recently, Trouba had stepped up before his injury. Even Strome, without a letter at all, and Smith have stepped up in leadership roles. Perhaps putting the responsibility directly on a player from the start might have helped.

There was also the chaos of the irregular schedule, a truncated training camp and the ADA drama. People may want to easily dismiss all that, but it had an effect. Is that on Quinn? It's easy and convenient to say that.

But despite all of those factors leading to the slow start, the team is still exactly where the vast majority of people thought they would be.

But seemingly the Rangers are doing all this despite of—or to spite—Quinn. I go back to my original stance, dating back to February, which is to ignore all the other factors and focus solely on Quinn is simplistic.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Sure, but do they really know what they're doing?

I actually do believe they do know what they are doing. This team presently constituted is going to be good enough beginning next year to be annual playoff participants and Cup contenders for the next decade! As I said just previously in my other post, what we've seen the past 6 weeks is a bit of a taste of the type of high level elite play we will be seeing for the next decade...I'm 10000% convinced of this. Maybe I'm on an island tho I doubt it.

This is what we all wanted and believed would happen when that letter was sent out by Gorton. The rebuild is right where it should be. Last year was a bit of an aberration and seemingly accelerated the rebuild but this year we got a market correction. Most of us thought 2021-22 was going to be THE year the Rangers would begin their ascension up to the elite level of teams in the league.

Well we are right where we should be and like it or not despite a few hiccups here and there, JD,, and especially Gorton combined with some love from the hockey gods with some lottery balls, have been responsible for this.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There was also the chaos of the irregular schedule, a truncated training camp and the ADA drama. People may want to easily dismiss all that, but it had an effect. Is that on Quinn? It's easy and convenient to say that.

Absolutely... I guess from my point of view, and a fair amount of hindsight, there are things Quinn did that would have been minor issues in a normal situation that were exacerbated by those other challenges, or vice versa.

This is in no way to say that Quinn even did a bad job during those periods of time. Another coach would have made the same decisions... or different decisions that would have also been exacerbated by the situation. But the coach ultimately has responsibility for all aspects of the team's performance. If the team performed poorly in the early part of the season, that's on him. If the team turns it around, that's also on him.

Reactions: Maximus
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I actually do believe they do know what they are doing. This team presently constituted is going to be good enough beginning next year to be annual playoff participants and Cup contenders.

This is what we all wanted and believed would happen when that letter was sent out by Gorton. The rebuild is right where it should be. Last year was a bit of an abberation and seemingly accelerated the rebuild but this year we got a market correction. Most of us thought 2021-22 was going to be THE year the Rangers would begin their ascension up to the elite level of teams in the league.

Well we are right where we should be and like it or not despite a few hiccups here and there, JD,, and especially Gorton combined with some love from the hockey gods with some lottery balls, have been responsible for this.
My attempt at being facetious failed to hit the mark. This time.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Absolutely... I guess from my point of view, and a fair amount of hindsight, there are things Quinn did that would have been minor issues in a normal situation that were exacerbated by those other challenges, or vice versa.

This is in now way to say that Quinn even did a bad job during those periods of time. Another coach would have made the same decisions... or different decisions that would have also been exacerbated by the situation. But the coach ultimately has responsibility for all aspects of the team's performance. If the team performed poorly in the early part of the season, that's on him. If the team turns it around, that's also on him.
This sums up really nicely what I'm trying to convey when I say that those who are not lusting for Quinn's can still disagree with—if not, fail to understand—some of his decisions.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I kind of do put them giving up leads on coaching. The vets were the ones on the ice for most of those blown leads.

I also think all the other teams potentially could have gotten off to rough starts, yet some did not.

Yet I would still like to see them keep Quinn, mostly because the next coach will do similar stuff if not worse. These coaches seems to just take a little too long to modify the lines. They seem to have some poor in game reads of who is playing well, who is not.

Yet really to me, that is not much of a complaint compared to AV overloading everywhere on the ice while trying to play some asinine man on man hybrid system, using Glass as the catalyst for it. Nor is it Torts not understanding why Gaborik is not a Selke candidate, or totally running any transition game with the dump and pray.

That said, get Krav up the lines, get Chytil some more time on ice, and get Howden off the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce