If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think he should come back. For sure. He has done very well with a rebuilding team in huge flux. Individual decisions have been confusing for sure and I think mistakes have been made. But overall I like how this team is coming together and the coach has to get credit for the good things as well as criticism for the bad. And for me, the good far outweighs the bad.
I of course reserve my judgment for next year. Going forward I want to see more consistency (particularly at the start of games). And I think a comfortable playoff spot next year is a reasonable expectation.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m happy to have this thread as hopefully we can discuss the issue - insofar as it’s an “issue” - head-on. Hopefully this will defuse the sidetracking of other threads.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand why I'm getting sarcastic remarks to this thread. If you take away Quinn's name, what's unreasonable about a poll that says "should a coach be fired if his team doesn't make the playoffs?"

It is not a reasonable question when the expectation was never making it into the playoffs to begin with. Coaches get fired for failing to meet expectations. If those expectations are playoffs, and the team misses, or is in danger of missing, then the coach is in trouble (Renney). If the expectation is contention and the team is a low seed, with an early playoff exit, then the coach is in trouble (Tortorella). If the expectation is that the team is bad, but it’s a youth movement and the youth stagnates or regresses, then the coach is in trouble. Sometimes a coach gets fired due to conflict with the GM, too. And occasionally, an incumbent coach will get fired because the team is changing direction and they don’t think the coach is the right fit (AV).

The expectations for the Rangers in 2021 were to be a better team than last year, play meaningful games late in the season, and see progress from the youth. Check, check and check.

Throwing out a different expectation as the measuring stick for whether or not a coach should be here is unreasonable, and given your well-defined stance, creating a poll about it is borderline troll behavior.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh, I see it’s one of the days where we care about the playoffs.

I've always cared about the playoffs. I know we're technically rebuilding but when you have guys like Panarin, Zibanejad, and Shesterkin your goal should be playoffs in addition to player development. I omitted Fox because coming into this season no one expected him to be the monster he turned into.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
So, rather than results, it’s all about the guy’s face and voice?
Lol what results? Are you excited about our mediocre results. We beat bad teams and lose to good teams. On paper we are far superior to Boston, Pittsburgh and the Islanders. All of those coaches have achieved greater results with inferior teams. Aside from Barzal, the islanders are a bunch of third liners (Lee being injured). They even lost Devon Toews. The Penguins have had awful goaltending and a bunch of spare parts on defence. Boston has one line and a goalie carousel.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No. He simply hasn’t done enough to keep the job. Especially if he thinks he is judged on making the playoffs or not. He’s not good enough compared to the other coaches in the division/conference that he is going to have to go up against.

If there is an available upgrade the Rangers need to make a move.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
No we aren't. We have a greater collection of talent, but that doesn't make us a better team. A large portion of that talent has yet to hit their stride.
Isn't that the point? We have great individual talent. We see great individual performances. What we do as a team is well below average imo.

Our roster talent is absurd..

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
No. And my prediction is that the trigger won't be pulled to hire an NHL-calibar coach until next year's piddling, slow start. They've been repeatedly bad out of the gate and they were the worst team in the bubble by a mile. That's preparation and coaching.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Isn't that the point? We have great individual talent. We see great individual performances. What we do as a team is well below average imo.

Our roster talent is absurd..

We have a lot of individual talent that is very, very young and not ready to contribute at a level that will make us anything other than a bubble playoff team.

We are 14-5-2 in our last 21 games. What more did you expect? Yeah, we started off bad, but that had nothing to do with coaching. Mika sucked. Our goalies sucked. Panarin took a leave of absence. DeAngelo was a huge distraction. And we have the youngest team in the league. If you want to blame Quinn for our poor start, then you better damn well give him credit for the run we are on now.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Folks, list the teams on NHL.com by goal differential and look at the points % of every other team around the Rangers and then look at the Rangers. That's rough. And it's a result of not closing out games and throwing points away late. When they are pressed with a lead they can't stop anybody. Play leading up to the buzzer even in the 1st and 2nd is an adventure every time. They can't even stop the Devils when they are sitting on a 3 goal lead late. It's been a constant in Quinn's tenure and it's never corrected. You want management to wait for the playoff series against Pittsburgh to realize that?

Reactions: McSauer

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We have a lot of individual talent that is very, very young and not ready to contribute at a level that will make us anything other than a bubble playoff team.

We are 14-5-2 in our last 21 games. What more did you expect? Yeah, we started off bad, but that had nothing to do with coaching. Mika sucked. Our goalies sucked. Panarin took a leave of absence. DeAngelo was a huge distraction. And we have the youngest team in the league. If you want to blame Quinn for our poor start, then you better damn well give him credit for the run we are on now.
Not continue to struggle with the same things. Over and over and over again. The team to 'buy in' to what the coach is saying and to whatever our 'system' is.

The over arching excuse of 'youth' is something I do not buy and imo is divorced from reality. We were not playing poorly because of youth. Our defense is what it is because of youth AND good coaching. It's possible to succeed with youth; the caveat? good coaching.

The bane of this season has been offense. The players relied upon on offense are not 'young'.
We didn't have a goalie issue, we had a Georgiev issue and it was exacerbated by Quinn.
Being force fed Mika, when he clearly was not there, is whose fault? Did we not have any other options?
This isn't trivial. He continually failed to put the best New York Rangers team out there.

Our offense is what exactly? What's our identity? Our identity is something our coach calls 'the flu'. There's a major disconnect

For most of the season our 'youth' was outplaying our vets, especially in effort. Our vets have been extremely temperamental. Yet they still have been HEAVILY relied upon by Quinn. How is that on the youth? I honestly don't see how youth has played a part in our struggles. Our PP was very bad, how is that on the youth? We come out sleep walking and unprepared far too often, how is that on youth? No adjustments? is an experience problem.. a coaching one.

All the things you listed off are things that could have been handled better by Quinn. AND THAT's my gripe. He failed and lost control of the controllables. It doesn't mean he can't do anything right. I just truly believe he's not a good NHL teams coach and that the team will stagnate/underachieve with him. Developing individuals is and has always been his strength/purpose. I believe it's time to move on; if not to a new head coach, someone that can 'take over' like Martin did on defense.

Since March 17th, we handled all the teams we were suppose to. We've been scorching terrible defenses... with fair results against playoff teams. Accumulative team stats do not paint the entire picture and should not be a crutch to lean upon.

I know I was all over the place rambling so, TL;DR: Our vets and coaching staff (obviously not Martin) have failed the team this season IMO. Not the youth.

I want to be optimistic about the next 6 games but I've seen this before.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Id only get rid of him if we had the right guy taking over, i dont think he has been bad overall, and the narrative he's not developing the kids doesn't fly with me, imo he has done a pretty good job there. If there's a complaint i have about him is that maybe he's protecting the kids a bit too much now, as they all appear ready at this point for more minutes mainly Kravtsov who should be playing with Strome and Panarin. Id take Gallant but its less to do with me thinking Quinn sucks as it is i really like Gallants style of play. Having said all that, he isn't getting canned, he's gonna get next year to show he can win.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He shouldn’t be fired because they don’t make the playoffs. This is about where most thought they’d be and that was before a lot of hurdles were known.

Having said that, replace him if the right guy for the next step is out there. I don’t think he is though.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I want to like Quinn but I repeat I think he needs to do things differently regarding his deployment of forwards on offense/scheme. Import the offensive assistant coach version of Jacques Martin maybe.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
He should be fired even if they make the playoffs. Torts was and he even won a round.

We could win the $&#!ing Cup and he should still get canned.

The lineup decision making, the inability for this team to ever close a period, the lack of offensive structure/system...wtf do any Quinn supporters actually see in this awful coach? Get a grip.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I would be shocked if he were fired. I'm as annoyed as anybody about Kravtsov being on the 4th line in favor of Blackwell, but fans complaining about their coach is as old as time. Hard to argue with the results. Youngest team in the league is:

3rd in goals for
10th in goals against
5th in goals differential
14th best point percentage
10th most regulation wins
10th highest PP%
4th highest PK%
Our current points total would have us 4th in the West, 4th in the Central, and tied for 2nd in the North (albeit with more games played), so 3rd.

This is with basically unprecedented situations surrounding Panarin as well as DeAngelo, and Zibanejad having one of the worst drop-offs in play ever from one season to the next earlier on. This season has been a resounding success.

I wouldn’t say resounding but it hasn’t been all bad, you can’t ignore those numbers.

I would bring him back but he would be on notice: the kids take substantial offensive steps forward next year or else.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No we aren't. We have a greater collection of talent, but that doesn't make us a better team. A large portion of that talent has yet to hit their stride.
Bingo. Hockey is truly a team sport. When a huge percentage of the roster is turned over in two years, and the new players are mainly new to the league and extremely young, there’s going to be a learning curve. The results despite the hurdles have been fine, if not remarkably good.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Bottom line is he does nothing to get more out of the team. He makes horrible roster decisions and delpoyment every night. We've gotten as far as we have on talent alone. The team has a top 3 forward in Panarin, a top 3 D who should win the Norris in a walk, a top 5 goalie in Shesterkin, and other really goody VETERAN players like Zibanejad, Strome, Kreider, Buchnevich, and even Trouba. And then the past 2 2nd and 1st overall picks. I know its a tough division but still after several years, the team has no system. Its let the skill guys make skill plays and hope the other team doesn't lock down the middle of the ice, because if they do the team is dead in the water. Abysmal forechecking, zero grit, low battle.

Martin coming in made a noticeable difference in our defense. What's that got to do with Quinn? Nothing. Get a real coach or we're going to see the same bullshit next year. Shit start until halfway thru the season when our big guns get hot, chase that playoff spot all spring but come up short again.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I think he's going to definitely be back next season. No doubt in my mind. When the season is over you'll hear JD and JG heaping praise upon DQ and the staff. I think the FO is happy how things are progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad