If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Huh? I'd expect him to be back, playoffs or not. yeah.

Playoffs were never the bar for Quinn this season, nor did I ever feel that way.

And if anything I think he's actually helped his cause this season as opposed to hurting it, to the dismay of some fans here.

Personally, I wouldn't mind him back behind the bench, so that players like Trouba don't have to have 3 different partners, 2 defense coaches and 2 head coaches in his career with the Rangers thus far.

Not to mention I don't really know if there are any better options out there to be hired right now and disrupt the development of all of the youth on this team.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
At this point whether or not they make the playoffs should have no bearing on if he comes back. If they make the playoffs that means BOS/NYI lost a lot of games down the stretch in addition to the team playing well. If Boston goes 2-6 and we can make it vs if they go 6-2 and we don't why should that have any difference on Quinn's future?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Question was should he be back. I probably should have asked if he should be fired because I can see people messing that up.

I think he should be back. And I guess I have to qualify that with, I find him to be an average coach.

For me, I wish he'd be quicker to do what he ultimately seems to do, and I dislike some of his in game choices, yet I do think he is doing pretty well balancing trying to win and bringing along the youth.

Part of it is also there are worse coaches out there. Certain ones who are so stubborn they drive talent away, or others who are so stubborn they'll continue to play a system that just does not fit their roster.

My expectations for the team this year in terms of their record is almost spot on.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2021-rangers-season-prediction.2798307/reply?quote=175083237

Not going to go looking for them, yet I am pretty sure I made posts about not thinking the youth were all that ready for the NHL too, and those would be going back to the 2017 draftees. I never liked the idea of instant signing and playing the prospects in the NHL, they are really young for that type of transition.

Anyway, I think the Rangers are better off with some continuity going into next season, yet if they start off next season going like 4-7-3, I'll likely think they've waited too long to fire Quinn.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It would be fun to go back and look at everyone's preseason predictions for this team. Challenging for a playoff spot in a difficult division always seemed reasonable. They may fall a bit short but they're playing meaningful games deep into the season. I'd call that mostly successful.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
He will be back. The season, regardless of making the playoffs, has largely been succesful.

The Rangers are currently 8 games above .500. Thats pretty damn good for a .500 team in terms of lineup. They will improve over last year in terms of positioning.

If the Rangers don't explode during the last six: I would say he has earned another chance(despite my issues with him).

Next year though Quinn will have to make the playoffs(to keep his job), especially with a regular season schedule.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Voted no but as mentioned he’ll be back

this season had laid bare his inadequacy’s and it’s become pretty clear he’s not the guy who will lead this team to a cup

that said there probably won’t be a good replacement this summer so bringing him back is probably the correct move.

Him getting relieved mid year with Martin taking over the rest of the way is how I envision it going down. New coach in summer 2022

LyNX27

Voted no but as mentioned he’ll be back

this season had laid bare his inadequacy’s and it’s become pretty clear he’s not the guy who will lead this team to a cup

that said there probably won’t be a good replacement this summer so bringing him back is probably the correct move.

Him getting relieved mid year with Martin taking over the rest of the way is how I envision it going down. New coach in summer 2022

I can't think of a single person who stated that Quinn would lead us to a cup... Is that really what he's being graded against?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I can't think of a single person who stated that Quinn would lead us to a cup... Is that really what he's being graded against?
He’s not a development coach and he’s not going to lead the team to a cup or to a lesser extent the playoffs soooo what exactly is he?

That’s how I look at it

Reactions: CLW

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
He's back next year, Rangers will be a .500 team roughly, barely make, or barely miss the playoffs. Quinn returns for 2022-2023, gets fired after 3 shitty weeks. Rangers then go on a tear and make the playoffs for the next 5-7 years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I said it in another thread--I finally feel like we're truly on track and very close to taking off. The veterans are generally all playing well, you've got "out of the woodwork" guys like Blackwell, the kids are basically all taking significant strides, etc. Even your "younger vets" like Buchnevich are showing big gains. Quinn, even with some of his blind spots, should come back.

Playoffs were never the barometer, IMO. And if they are or were, he was put squarely behind the eight ball when the divisions were made. When you saw Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, and the Islanders, you pretty much knew unless we took huge strides or someone was unexpectedly bad, we were fifth place at best. And you know what? If not for Zib's mega-COVID and Panarin's nonsense, I do believe we'd be in a playoff position, and not because someone else faltered.

I've been quite hard on Quinn, but he has earned another year.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I would be shocked if he were fired. I'm as annoyed as anybody about Kravtsov being on the 4th line in favor of Blackwell, but fans complaining about their coach is as old as time. Hard to argue with the results. Youngest team in the league is:

3rd in goals for
10th in goals against
5th in goals differential
14th best point percentage
10th most regulation wins
10th highest PP%
4th highest PK%
Our current points total would have us 4th in the West, 4th in the Central, and tied for 2nd in the North (albeit with more games played), so 3rd.

This is with basically unprecedented situations surrounding Panarin as well as DeAngelo, and Zibanejad having one of the worst drop-offs in play ever from one season to the next earlier on. This season has been a resounding success.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I said it in another thread--I finally feel like we're truly on track and very close to taking off. The veterans are generally all playing well, you've got "out of the woodwork" guys like Blackwell, the kids are basically all taking significant strides, etc. Even your "younger vets" like Buchnevich are showing big gains. Quinn, even with some of his blind spots, should come back.

Playoffs were never the barometer, IMO. And if they are or were, he was put squarely behind the eight ball when the divisions were made. When you saw Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, and the Islanders, you pretty much knew unless we took huge strides or someone was unexpectedly bad, we were fifth place at best. And you know what? If not for Zib's mega-COVID and Panarin's nonsense, I do believe we'd be in a playoff position, and not because someone else faltered.

I've been quite hard on Quinn, but he has earned another year.
The only problem with this is that it was the same thing last year. While it does look great now, in the overall scheme of things we haven't really made progress from last year haven't we? Yes, it's a tough division but not like our play has been that great until the last few weeks. And even here we've had some bumps. It took us time to take off.

I voted no, but I was under the impression DQ's contract was up, which apparently is not the case. If we continue to battle to the last day, I guess I'm going to say he deserves one more year. Or rather, one more semester. If it ain't working next fall, drop the axe when it's still possible to make a change mid-season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kids making progress, Vets having break out seasons, Adam Fox, and Lafreniere starting to look like a 1st OA pick. Not sure what the issue is with Quinn. Yeah he may play Blackwell over Kravtsov but Blackwell has scored some big goals for the team. In time Kravtsov will take that spot or move up with Chytil and Kakko moving back into the Top 6 if he keeps progressing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The only problem with this is that it was the same thing last year. While it does look great now, in the overall scheme of things we haven't really made progress from last year haven't we? Yes, it's a tough division but not like our play has been that great until the last few weeks. And even here we've had some bumps. It took us time to take off.

I voted no, but I was under the impression DQ's contract was up, which apparently is not the case. If we continue to battle to the last day, I guess I'm going to say he deserves one more year. Or rather, one more semester. If it ain't working next fall, drop the axe when it's still possible to make a change mid-season.
We had basically half a year with the corpse of Zibanejad, ten games without Panarin because of some bogus bullshit, and lost our 60+ point defenseman because of behavioral issues. We lost our Swiss Army Knife in Fast. Chytil had his injury and COVID and basically had to reset.

We incorporated a 19-year old who, for all his talents, clearly wasn't ready for prime time. We added a 20-year-old straight out of college to our top pair. We pulled Blackwell out of nowhere. I think our biggest addition has been a full year of Shesterkin, which while great, is not the difference between last year and this year.

Undo the Zibanejad, Panarin, and DeAngelo things, and I don't think we're so slow out of the gate. However, they happened, and the team managed to tread water long enough to make the final handful of games worthwhile. Really, the wheels could have completely fallen off this thing long ago. I think the team we're seeing now is better than the team we saw at the end of last year, despite being younger with the additions of Kravtsov, Miller, and Lafreniere (and even Hajek playing 35+ games).

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
He should have been fired after the Carolina debacle. 100% yes. Even his staunchest defenders will tell he you wasn’t brought in to take the team to the promised land, he’s not mr right, he’s mr right now etc. well how many more years are we gonna waste with this guy? It’s already been 3 full seasons. Most coaches don’t even last that long in this league. He’s served his purpose. Time to get serious and upgrade.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It depends who's available.

I don't want to get rid of Quinn just for the sake of getting rid of him. I want a better coach.

Maybe a better assistant could help.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
yeah that list of coaches better than Quinn sure is a short one hmmm
I get it but I believe our window opens next season. Forcing a coach, that's not the right fit, can waste a lot of precious time.

Maybe I'm a dreamer.... I'm offering Brind'Amour $8M per IF he gets to the open market.

We're in a capped parity... BUT We should be using our war chest to our benefit, while others are struggling

a sadistic part of me is curious what Torts would bring. tbh when was the last time Torts had a talented roster? It could be a SC deciding move or it could blow up in our face. He has a legit 3 year shelf life. So, we'd be trying to win a cup(s) within those 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I love how the fans complain about Quinn but yet fans think they can coach better :help:

he is not the worst coach we have had, i rather see him with a NHL roster in the playoffs before deciding he is a good coach or not, and not one of the youngest in the league. considering they are the youngest in the league and so close to a playoff spot is impressive. so many 1st year NHL pros on this team

Wut? I dont see anyone who legit thinks they'd be a better NHL coach. Who said that and seriously meant it?

Have to mention that not being the worst is pretty much the lowest bar imaginable. I don't think he's one of the worst btw.

We have a norris level Dman, acquired another 1D from elsewhere and we signed a top 3 player in the league. We also pulled in one of the top goalie prospects in the world. Anything less than being in striking distance of the PO's is an embarassment.

As far as we can see he's just matching the bare minimum expectation in terms of wins.

What do we overachieve with as a team with him? What is it he does that we can say "Wow he won us these games."

It feels more like he's just kinda there for the most part unless he's making very questionable lineup decisions. I always give kudos for the improved D this year at least. But that could just be all replacing Ruff which shows how replacing Quinn with someone better could see significant tangible results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad