If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No we aren't. We have a greater collection of talent, but that doesn't make us a better team. A large portion of that talent has yet to hit their stride.

We have enough guys that aren't 19-21 that are talented that we should be in the playoffs. I haven't looked at the numbers lately but I believe we have 5 guys pacing 70+ points, including a defenseman, and a guy pacing almost 120 points and a top 10 goalie. That's absurd.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bottom line is he does nothing to get more out of the team. He makes horrible roster decisions and delpoyment every night. We've gotten as far as we have on talent alone. The team has a top 3 forward in Panarin, a top 3 D who should win the Norris in a walk, a top 5 goalie in Shesterkin, and other really goody VETERAN players like Zibanejad, Strome, Kreider, Buchnevich, and even Trouba. And then the past 2 2nd and 1st overall picks. I know its a tough division but still after several years, the team has no system. Its let the skill guys make skill plays and hope the other team doesn't lock down the middle of the ice, because if they do the team is dead in the water. Abysmal forechecking, zero grit, low battle.

Martin coming in made a noticeable difference in our defense. What's that got to do with Quinn? Nothing. Get a real coach or we're going to see the same bullshit next year. Shit start until halfway thru the season when our big guns get hot, chase that playoff spot all spring but come up short again.

Or barely make it and probably get embarrassed in the playoffs because Quinn is playing checkers when everyone else is playing chess.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
f*** hf. I typed so much shit, but it crashed. This never happens to me on any other site.

Anyways, good coaches do more with less. Quinn does less with more. It’s obvious that we have a ton of talent. I know we’re very experienced and young players often go through many ups and downs in a season, but Quinn makes some really, really dumb decisions. Many that are indefensible.

But many fans of many teams complain about their coaches. Lightning fans wanted Cooper gone before they won the Cup. The bigger issue is that we’re in a weird limbo because we’re addicted to NOW NOW NOW and winning NOW. Make the playoffs and worry about the rest later. I hate that we couldn’t fully commit to a rebuild. Do we build around Panarin? Or do we build around Laf/Kakko/Kravtsov/Fox/Igor? We’re fine until 2022/23, but it shouldn’t be like that. I’d rather be very good for a long time rather than great for a short time.

And now Quinn is forced to win at all costs, and not doing a particularly great job at it. He has to balance winning and prospect development, which is not easy. The bigger problem is Gorton.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Playoffs were never the barometer, IMO.
They weren’t? Bull. Shit. We were expected to have a Hart Trophy candidate in Panarin, a top 5-10 center in the league in Zibanejad, one of the best 1st pairings in the league in Fox and Lindgren, two Calder candidates in Igor and Lafreniere, and great support players in Buchnevich, Kreider, Strome, Chytil, Kakko (who did take that next step), and Trouba.

And that was before Miller emerged as a top 4 defenseman, before Fox emerged as a Norris Trophy candidate, before Strome picked up his game, before Buchnevich became a complete player, and before Kravtsov became a top 6 forward instantly. Mika’s slow start, Panarin’s leave of absence, DeAngelo being waived, and bad goaltending at the start of the season definitely made it harder, but we should still have been in a much better spot than we are right now. I think we take for granted how scary talented of a team we are.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We can't afford to have another season where our top young prospects fail to make significant progress. Keeping Quinn another season is playing with fire if we are serious about this rebuild and contending for the Cup. He was a placeholder for 3 years where no serious coach would want to risk a losing record or no playoffs, now it is time to get a serious coach and win that Cup. We won't win it next season but we will win couple of rounds with a serious coach. With Quinn, don't expect playoffs next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm trying to figure out if his supporters are a vocal minority or if he actually has substantial support. The question is self explanatory.

He should not be back regardless.
Earlier on he served a purpose.
Not now.
Succumbed to too much time to vets
when our young core needs mins.

Krav on 4th line is last straw unforgiveable

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As much as I don't think Quinn is a coach good enough at NHL level, that's pretty much par for the course around these entertainment franchises. He hasn't been that good, but he hasn't been Vigneault level bad either. Quinn does his dumb things but at least the defensive structure doesn't look like an unattended asylum.

If Quinn would be fired it would almost be a guarantee some archaic, outdated old fart would take over because they're experienced at being archaic, old farts. If there's one positive out of this, it's that NYR dared to try to bring in new blood instead of the regular bunch that just jumps around new teams when they get fired.

I'm still waiting for the first NHL franchise daring to bring in a top coach from Europe and give them a shot. I'm confident at least 5-6 Euro coaches are easily better than the current average and that speak very good English.

Reactions: CLW and Off Sides

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We have enough guys that aren't 19-21 that are talented that we should be in the playoffs. I haven't looked at the numbers lately but I believe we have 5 guys pacing 70+ points, including a defenseman, and a guy pacing almost 120 points and a top 10 goalie. That's absurd.

And two of those guys went absent for stretches in the beginning of the year. When 2 of your best players are playing badly, or aren't playing at all, and you get off to a bad start as a result, yeah, it's going to be hard to make the playoffs.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
We can't afford to have another season where our top young prospects fail to make significant progress. Keeping Quinn another season is playing with fire if we are serious about this rebuild and contending for the Cup. He was a placeholder for 3 years where no serious coach would want to risk a losing record or no playoffs, now it is time to get a serious coach and win that Cup. We won't win it next season but we will win couple of rounds with a serious coach. With Quinn, don't expect playoffs next season.
WeNeverGetProgress

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I don't understand why I'm getting sarcastic remarks to this thread. If you take away Quinn's name, what's unreasonable about a poll that says "should a coach be fired if his team doesn't make the playoffs?"

You have been unreasonable with the blind hatred for Quinn. It makes you look bad.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
And two of those guys went absent for stretches in the beginning of the year. When 2 of your best players are playing badly, or aren't playing at all, and you get off to a bad start as a result, yeah, it's going to be hard to make the playoffs.
I guess you only watch the Rangers. Pittsburgh had worse goaltending to start the year and Malkin missed 20 games.
The Isles lost Anders Lee for 20 games and Devon Toews to Colorado.
He is simply not a good coach. Some men are good for college and not meant for the NHL.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
He will definitely be back. Earlier in the season I wanted to get rid of him 100%, but honestly things aren’t so bad. And most importantly the kids are playing better and better.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
I don't understand why I'm getting sarcastic remarks to this thread. If you take away Quinn's name, what's unreasonable about a poll that says "should a coach be fired if his team doesn't make the playoffs?"

Sorry but they that logic all 15 teams that miss the playoffs should have your poll?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I guess you only watch the Rangers. Pittsburgh had worse goaltending to start the year and Malkin missed 20 games.
The Isles lost Anders Lee for 20 games and Devon Toews to Colorado.
He is simply not a good coach. Some men are good for college and not meant for the NHL.

Pittsburgh and the Islanders are both veteran teams. Whether you want to admit it or not, that makes a significant difference. Teams don't win on talent alone.

Is it Quinn's fault that the Rangers blew 3 3rd-period leads against Pittsburgh early in the season? We win those games, we get 6 points instead of 2 and the playoff race looks very different.

Beyond that, management said that the playoffs were not a requirement this year. I'm not going to bother to dig up the videos, but in interviews before the season, both Gorton and JD said that this year isn't playoffs or bust. They want the kids to develop and they want the team to play meaningful games. They have done all of that. Quinn has done exactly what management has asked of him. We are still playing meaningful games and still have a chance to get into the playoffs. Right now we are 14th in the league in points percentage. Last year, we were 18th. So we have improved to the point where we would be in the playoffs in any division except the one we are in.

If we get off to a bad start next year, or we miss the playoffs, then maybe it will be time to make a change. But Quinn has done the job he has been asked to do. Whether or not you agree with each decision he has made, the results fit management's expectations for this year.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They weren’t? Bull. Shit. We were expected to have a Hart Trophy candidate in Panarin, a top 5-10 center in the league in Zibanejad, one of the best 1st pairings in the league in Fox and Lindgren, two Calder candidates in Igor and Lafreniere, and great support players in Buchnevich, Kreider, Strome, Chytil, Kakko (who did take that next step), and Trouba.

And that was before Miller emerged as a top 4 defenseman, before Fox emerged as a Norris Trophy candidate, before Strome picked up his game, before Buchnevich became a complete player, and before Kravtsov became a top 6 forward instantly. Mika’s slow start, Panarin’s leave of absence, DeAngelo being waived, and bad goaltending at the start of the season definitely made it harder, but we should still have been in a much better spot than we are right now. I think we take for granted how scary talented of a team we are.

No, they weren't. Most experts and fans had them battling for the 4th spot or missing. Playoffs were not an expectation, they were a goal. This team has a lot of pure talent but coming into this season there were concerns about several things including their poor play in round against Carolina, being the youngest team in the league, playing in a killer division, not enough depth, etc. They are basically where I expected them to be. Competitive but not surprising they are out of a playoff position. Quinn drives me crazy sometimes and we can do better but he will not be fired because they didn't make it in especially with the fact that they are playing well and still playing meaningful games this late in the season.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
As much as I don't think Quinn is a coach good enough at NHL level, that's pretty much par for the course around these entertainment franchises. He hasn't been that good, but he hasn't been Vigneault level bad either. Quinn does his dumb things but at least the defensive structure doesn't look like an unattended asylum.

If Quinn would be fired it would almost be a guarantee some archaic, outdated old fart would take over because they're experienced at being archaic, old farts. If there's one positive out of this, it's that NYR dared to try to bring in new blood instead of the regular bunch that just jumps around new teams when they get fired.

I'm still waiting for the first NHL franchise daring to bring in a top coach from Europe and give them a shot. I'm confident at least 5-6 Euro coaches are easily better than the current average and that speak very good English.

I think the defense improved thanks to Martin, last 2 years it sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad