If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I honestly think people are confused with how the question was asked. They must be voting 'YES' he should be fired.

Yeah, I later realized that it wasn't ideal that I asked the question the way I did but I couldn't change in middle of the way through because many people probably answered it correctly.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why SHOULD Quinn be back?

IMO we should have been a playoff team, improving YoY. Next year we 100% need to be a playoff team.

It can't only be about development. We still need to win hockey games and I do not see how Quinn is the best option. We are being set up for failure if he's back... unless he has an epiphany in the offseason and becomes a good NHL coach.

The curve that Quinn is judged by is embarrassingly high. I don't remember any other coach given this much benefit of the doubt. This may be stupid but he's a good looking charming guy that has a likable personality. Makes me wonder how much leeway he'd get if he looked like Trotz and had the personality of Torts. I'm so sick of hearing how terrible our roster is. The 2013-2014 team was better than this one but I count at least three skaters that were better than anyone on that team and add two guys that are more productive than anyone on that team in Strome and Buchnevich. Although the league is higher scoring now.

Edit: The comparison of skaters is with skaters only.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

effen

Feb 3, 2018
But a better coach has this team in a playoff spot, even WITH everything that has gone wrong this year. preparation, in game adjustments, bench management and urgency have all been piss poor to the max under Quinn. This will all continue to be a problem even with a more well rounded roster.
I think you have a selection bias issue with these aspects, because the prep, adjustments, urgency, etc. that 'work' and they win are a lot more difficult to remember or even spot than the obvious rolling the same stupid PP setup that didn't work for like 6 weeks, playing Mika and Kreider despite needing to be scratched, starting the 4th line [in whatever zone when something bad happens].

Like, the 4th line starts in the o zone and gets sent the other way, what an idiot. The 4th line starts in the o zone and has a really good shift, into the memory hole. Start Strome/Panarin in the d zone, Crosby scores, moron coach. Start Strome/Panarin in the d zone and get a breakaway goal, BREADDDD, no mention of David Quinn. Shrug.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think you have a selection bias issue with these aspects, because the prep, adjustments, urgency, etc. that 'work' and they win are a lot more difficult to remember or even spot than the obvious rolling the same stupid PP setup that didn't work for like 6 weeks, playing Mika and Kreider despite needing to be scratched, starting the 4th line [in whatever zone when something bad happens].

Like, the 4th line starts in the o zone and gets sent the other way, what an idiot. The 4th line starts in the o zone and has a really good shift, into the memory hole. Start Strome/Panarin in the d zone, Crosby scores, moron coach. Start Strome/Panarin in the d zone and get a breakaway goal, BREADDDD, no mention of David Quinn. Shrug.

Not at all, because alot of these things have been an issue even when they have been winning.

Like those wins against NJ and Buffalo were cute, but the fact that they were massively outplayed in half of those games and needed their goalie to steal them a win is not lost on me.

I could understand if it happened occasionally, it happens to every team. There is no reason for it to happen as often as it has happened this year, especially in a situation where the team is supposedly fighting to get into the playoffs.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not at all, because alot of these things have been an issue even when they have been winning.

Like those wins against NJ and Buffalo were cute, but the fact that they were massively outplayed in half of those games and needed their goalie to steal them a win is not lost on me.

I could understand if it happened occasionally, it happens to every team. There is no reason for it to happen as often as it has happened this year, especially in a situation where the team is supposedly fighting to get into the playoffs.
That a win happened is irrelevant, if the prep and execution were bad those NJ and Buffalo games they are demerits regardless of outcome. And they are!

The thing I wonder about and can't quantify are the games he prepares them well and they lose? Makes a good adjustment and they win? Do we ever notice them going from a 1-3-1 to a 1-1-3 in the NZ in game X? There's little to no credit going to be given with your criteria except for an overall sense which I think is handicapped to start because of the roster construction. JMO.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That a win happened is irrelevant, if the prep and execution were bad those NJ and Buffalo games they are demerits regardless of outcome. And they are!

The thing I wonder about and can't quantify are the games he prepares them well and they lose? Makes a good adjustment and they win? Do we ever notice them going from a 1-3-1 to a 1-1-3 in the NZ in game X? There's little to no credit going to be given with your criteria except for an overall sense which I think is handicapped to start because of the roster construction. JMO.

Not at all, because they've carried over against better teams and guess what? They lost those games.

As far as these in game adjustments go? I think I can count on one hand with out using all my fingers the times where he's actually done the sort of things you're talking about in the middle of a game since hes been here. I'm with you on the roster construction, I'm just saying that he's done a horrible job with what he has been given.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

There will never be a perfect scenario or perfect roster.

Good teams find ways to win though adversity. Penguins were beating us with an AHL defense. There's a system to follow and adhere to. This is the whole point of a good coach imo. There should be a 'next one up' mentality. You should know your role and job in any given situation/scenario.

Obviously a player like Panarin's has greater peak performance and cannot be replicated... but what is his role in the system? Is there a system? or is it just a free for all? is the meme of Quinn poking Panarin with a stick, ' do hockey' a reality? Okay, you give one of the best players in the world a little freedom... what about the rest? What's their roles? Can players step in and fully understand their purpose? or is it chaos? a 'loose set' of 'recommended guidelines'?

RangerRebirth

May 2, 2021
Whether he stays or not (what I hope for), the decision should be made soon enough. Hesitation is a mother of defeat.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Ok. I agree. But what I see is, despite having an inexperienced roster, this team losing to well structured, veteran teams the same way over and over again.

They got shutout by Varlamov four times. The Penguins won their games against us easily, despite icing an AHL defense for a couple of them. Last year’s “playoff” series.

I’m ok with the losses. Those are better teams. But I’m not ok with how the losses piled up. Are you telling me that a better coach couldn’t have made a few strategic adjustments to at least have given his team a puncher’s chance? This dude just throws everybody back out there the next day and then says absurd shit in the postgame that makes him look either clueless or purposefully ignorant.

When the team loses the same way repeatedly, especially in a condensed schedule where the previous game’s lessons are fresh on the mind, who should take the blame?

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you completely. I was just pushing back a bit against the idea that a team with some good individual players can't be a bad team, and the idea that any single game should change someone's mind about a coach. You are right about the fact that this is a trend this year, and I agree that Quinn is a big part of the problem.

Also, for anyone watching the Habs--Caufield is being eased in with 3rd line minutes, but with regular (1 to 2 minutes) power play time every game. And that's on a roster preparing for the playoffs and fighting for seeding.

Reactions: Synergy27

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Don't get me wrong. I agree with you completely. I was just pushing back a bit against the idea that a team with some good individual players can't be a bad team, and the idea that any single game should change someone's mind about a coach. You are right about the fact that this is a trend this year, and I agree that Quinn is a big part of the problem.

Also, for anyone watching the Habs--Caufield is being eased in with 3rd line minutes, but with regular (1 to 2 minutes) power play time every game. And that's on a roster preparing for the playoffs and fighting for seeding.
The management of our PP has been simply nonsensical. I’ve never seen anything like it in this league. This is regardless of the fact that we have stud prospects waiting for PP time.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I can’t count on more than 1 finger the amount the games the rangers have played where they played well but lost the game. They’ve had plenty where they played poorly but won, and that’s thanks to talent. Almost Every single loss was the result of a piss poor effort / no-show

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I can’t count on more than 1 finger the amount the games the rangers have played where they played well but lost the game. They’ve had plenty where they played poorly but won, and that’s thanks to talent. Almost Every single loss was the result of a piss poor effort / no-show
I’d revise this just slightly. I think it’s really easy to look like you’re not giving a strong effort if the plan for the game is off. These last two Islander games are excellent examples.

I don’t think the guys weren’t trying. I just think that they were instructed to approach the game so incorrectly that they ended up way behind the play and looked like they weren’t putting in the effort.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I’d revise this just slightly. I think it’s really easy to look like you’re not giving a strong effort if the plan for the game is off. These last two Islander games are excellent examples.

I don’t think the guys weren’t trying. I just think that they were instructed to approach the game so incorrectly that they ended up way behind the play and looked like they weren’t putting in the effort.
yeah true. I'm not accusing the players of mailing it in. They just don't know what to do in games like that and look so lost

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He'll be back unless they get shutout the next four.

I'd honestly give the keys to Knoblauch and Murphy while retaining Martin. But I know that won't happen.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I don't understand why I'm getting sarcastic remarks to this thread. If you take away Quinn's name, what's unreasonable about a poll that says "should a coach be fired if his team doesn't make the playoffs?"
At the beginning of the season when you looked at the roster did you say. “This season was a waste if they don’t make the playoffs.” This is a learning year for a young team. They’ve taken huge steps forward. Why the hell would he be fired?

The roster is full of 1st year guys who have steadily improved and they have been in the hunt down the stretch. The roster has never screamed, “playoffs or bust.”

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
How exactly is that determined? He is 2-3 vs. the almighty Trotz this year, with one loss being in OT. Does that mean that they are basically the same level of coaching?
The must-win games v Trotz were lost by 1st round KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad