If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

If the Rangers miss the playoff should Quinn be back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
No idea what this means.

the team that has a top 10 goalie, top 10 center and top 3 defenseman is a C-level team? That cant be what you mean right?

Those are A-level players on a very young team that has a clear case of kryptonite for physical teams that take away center ice. No coach should get credit or blame for any one game. Way too many factors go into it. You evaluate a coach on trends and whether the more negative trends are addressed/fixed. I'd still prefer to see someone other than Quinn, because I want to see more TOI for the young forwards, but this one game is a tiny piece of the problem, and is as much on Zib, Panarin, Strome, Buch, and (pardon my sacrilege) even Fox, whose numbers and general play seem to go right in the toilet every time we play the Islanders.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Did Pitt's starting goalie get injured and miss 10 games? And while Malkin was missing his 20, was Crosby ALSO out 10 games? And let's add in someone like McCann missing substantial time with an injury AND Covid at the same time?

Isles? How many games did the Isles play without BOTH Lee and Barzal? How do you think that they would have fared for that stretch of games?

Whether Jarry missed time due to injury or if he just played abysmal is irrelevant. Teams deal with adversity. A few years back, Malkin and Crosby were both injured. Pittsburgh was winning on the backs of Jordan Staal and Letang. Our goaltending over the course of the entire season has been 10x greater than that of Pittsburgh. You can use any metric.

What people fail to realize, is that hockey is the ultimate team game. McDavid and Draisital have yet to win a cup.
I can't believe you are comparing that atrocity of a new york islander lineup to ours. Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Kakko, Gauthier.... Kreider, Panarin, Lafraniere, Lemieux .... DeAngelo, Fox, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, Hajek ... Chytil, Strome, Zibanejad and Rooney. Not comparable lineups. Need to find a way to do more with this lineup.

You seem to have a lot of excuses... You know who comes up with excuses? .... Losers.

Time to stop settling for mediocrity.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You can tell the guy cares and is trying (as any professional coach should) but he is just in over his head. He is just not a good NHL coach right now. IDK maybe in 10? 15 years? Right now he is cut out for college not the NHL. Or let him go coach the fkin bruins

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Don't care so much that they lost both games. It's far from ideal, but that would be fine if they played their best and just got beat. I'd expect more fight and pushback from a random group of posters from this board than what we actually got out of the team. Injuries could only be leaned on as an excuse had they shown up and lost, they didn't and looked terrible.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
Jan 2020 until Covid lockdown this team played good consistent hockey, and it looked like things were clicking. Since then it’s anything but, some flashes, followed by flat out bad hockey. Not sure what this team is, I’m not sure Quinn is completely at fault but he hasn’t done a thing to distinguish himself.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The biggest difference between Quinn and other coaches is that the people on this board don't follow every move those other coaches make. They don't over-analyze every decision those coaches make. Everyone who hates Quinn would probably say that Trotz is a great coach (and he is), but Trotz has healthy scratched both Dobson and Wahlstrom at times this year in favor of "lesser" players. I'm sure if Trotz were our coach, and we were in the same position, there would be the same exact people saying the same exact things about decisions they don't agree with. I'm sure that when Quinn is eventually let go (and he will be at some point, all coaches are), those same people will praise the hiring of the new coach, but within 2 years, they'll be complaining about him just like they do now with Quinn. It's a never ending cycle.

Trotz is a good coach. Quinn is a poor coach. Neither are the right coach for the Rangers. Complaining about complaining is absurd.

Nobody seems to particularily like Quinn, but he hangs on out of fear for the alternative (some fossil) and lack of new coaching talent. But carrying a poor coach will come at a cost later. It's a cart before the horse situation, which is awkward and doesn't help the team grow, as we've seen this season.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
I’m only going to speak as a Rangers fan, I’m sure this applies to other fan bases as well, but we do have a tendency to shit on our coaches rather than the talent. I mean folks used to blast Mike Sullivan’s PP, even though it seemed like it was a talent/roster issue, Mike got most of the hate.

Not here to pump Quinn’s stock. I think fans see the on ice performance, especially with regards to some of the young guys, and we don’t see much improvement on the whole, and fear that the rebuild isn’t going as planned. Is it coaching or is it roster? Obviously it can be both, but it’s easier for fans to accept dumping the coach than the current roster.

If you ask me, given the roster this is the weakest on ice performance by far. Like Tom Renney got us into the playoffs with much weaker teams. And the last few regimes had their style of hockey. I knew what I was going to watch when I tuned in to watch a Torts squad take the ice. I have no idea what I’m going to watch on nightly basis with this regime, no identity.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m only going to speak as a Rangers fan, I’m sure this applies to other fan bases as well, but we do have a tendency to shit on our coaches rather than the talent. I mean folks used to blast Mike Sullivan’s PP, even though it seemed like it was a talent/roster issue, Mike got most of the hate.

Not here to pump Quinn’s stock. I think fans see the on ice performance, especially with regards to some of the young guys, and we don’t see much improvement on the whole, and fear that the rebuild isn’t going as planned. Is it coaching or is it roster? Obviously it can be both, but it’s easier for fans to accept dumping the coach than the current roster.

If you ask me, given the roster this is the weakest on ice performance by far. Like Tom Renney got us into the playoffs with much weaker teams. And the last few regimes had their style of hockey. I knew what I was going to watch when I tuned in to watch a Torts squad take the ice. I have no idea what I’m going to watch on nightly basis with this regime, no identity.

That is on management and the fact that the players are scared to any contract, why even be hockey player. Some of these players are made for no contact type of hockey either in Europe and or Street Roller Hockey. Coaching matters, but if you don’t have the right players that don’t fit the style of the coach, that does make a huge difference, and having some stupid hockey on ice awareness is an issue here. I bet this team would pass the puck on a breakaway oh wait we have seen that before. Like I said these are professional hockey players. Their Hockey IQ should be higher than what they have shown. Maybe they don’t like the coach who knows. You can get the best coach available right now and I bet we would not see much of a difference. If the players are this stupid, they should really change careers. Why even bother.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I don’t like how he uses the young guys and I think he gets out coached on a pretty consistent basis. But we also need to revamp and be a little harder to play against. I’d also like to see this team have a center or two that can consistently win face offs I feel like we haven’t had that since the early 90’s.

If Quinn were replaced I wouldn’t be sad, that is if he’s replaced by a clear upgrade and not just for the sake of it. But he also doesn’t have the most well rounded roster to utilize. When Kakko, Laf, and Kravtsov are buried in the bottom 6 it’s like a round peg in a square hole. We have too many veteran skill guys and not enough veteran role players IMO.

Reactions: Anthony5967 and CLW

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think the vast majority of coaches would have the same issues because the problem overall is roster construction. I'd like to see him coach a more complete team rather than the all talent no fit mishmash that's been given to him the past couple years.

I think how he treats young players is less a Quinn fabrication and more an organizational philosophy. I dunno how to rate him in that regard.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think the vast majority of coaches would have the same issues because the problem overall is roster construction. I'd like to see him coach a more complete team rather than the all talent no fit mishmash that's been given to him the past couple years.

I think how he treats young players is less a Quinn fabrication and more an organizational philosophy. I dunno how to rate him in that regard.
I think a good NHL coach would have this team moving and supporting the puck a lot better. More movement with a purpose and a plan to follow.

I don't see any of that

Reactions: CLW

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think a good NHL coach would have this team moving and supporting the puck a lot better. More movement with a purpose and a plan to follow.

I don't see any of that
This. He should be gone. Terrible game planning, awful starts, and face offs aside. His line up decisions and player usage have been very suspect at many points during the season. Does anyone remember once when Diamond Dave Quinn out-coached his opposite bench boss??? And we won or stole a game because of it??? Because I don’t recall any. I’ve seen him get out coached planets of times though.
For me the guy has run his course. I think he has a huge problem reaching/ motivating a lot of guys on this team. I think there are some young and old on the rangers that don’t like or understand the way he communicates. I keep seeing the same mistakes over and over and over like freaking ground hog day.
That being said, I don’t think they fire Quinn just to fire him. I’m guessing JD and Gorts only make the move if they feel they are getting the exact coach they want. If that doesn’t happen Quinn might get 1 more year here. They rather deal with the devil they know then the one they don’t. I hope they find their man, but until that happens I think they are fine letting Quinn run wild doing Quinn things to until the right guys steps up to take the big job

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You evaluate a coach on trends and whether the more negative trends are addressed/fixed.
Ok. I agree. But what I see is, despite having an inexperienced roster, this team losing to well structured, veteran teams the same way over and over again.

They got shutout by Varlamov four times. The Penguins won their games against us easily, despite icing an AHL defense for a couple of them. Last year’s “playoff” series.

I’m ok with the losses. Those are better teams. But I’m not ok with how the losses piled up. Are you telling me that a better coach couldn’t have made a few strategic adjustments to at least have given his team a puncher’s chance? This dude just throws everybody back out there the next day and then says absurd shit in the postgame that makes him look either clueless or purposefully ignorant.

When the team loses the same way repeatedly, especially in a condensed schedule where the previous game’s lessons are fresh on the mind, who should take the blame?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whether Jarry missed time due to injury or if he just played abysmal is irrelevant.
Everything is relative. Missing a starting goalie is still missing your starting goalie. Just like missing your top line center, is still missing your top line center. A rose is still a rose by any other name.
Teams deal with adversity. A few years back, Malkin and Crosby were both injured. Pittsburgh was winning on the backs of Jordan Staal and Letang. Our goaltending over the course of the entire season has been 10x greater than that of Pittsburgh. You can use any metric.
Was that team also the youngest in the league without depth? Did that team ALSO wind up missing it' starting goalie AND it's third best center at the same time?
What people fail to realize, is that hockey is the ultimate team game. McDavid and Draisital have yet to win a cup.
In other news, water is found to be wet. How long did it take Hedman to win it? How long has it been sine MacKinnon has been drafted? Is there an underlying lesson here?
I can't believe you are comparing that atrocity of a new york islander lineup to ours. Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Kakko, Gauthier.... Kreider, Panarin, Lafraniere, Lemieux .... DeAngelo, Fox, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, Hajek ... Chytil, Strome, Zibanejad and Rooney. Not comparable lineups. Need to find a way to do more with this lineup.
Wait. Lemiuex and DeAngelo?

Yes, more needs to happen. Like time for talent to properly develop and a proper roster to be built. As you correctly point out, it is a team game. After all. Just look at Edmonton.
You seem to have a lot of excuses... You know who comes up with excuses? .... Losers.

Time to stop settling for mediocrity.
Only an absolute moron continues to be utterly incapable of seeing the forest through the trees. Another nicer word for that is ignorance. See also unenlightened and unlettered. Need more words of enlightenment?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't think this is true.

This isn't a perfect roster, I've pointed out all the things I hate about its construction and how they'd be making a massive mistake by trying to lock in this homogenous group long term. Strome and Buch should be replaced, I wouldn't cry if Zibanejad were traded either (and no, this is not a call for Eichel) and a big LOL to anyone who thinks Nils is the answer.

But a better coach has this team in a playoff spot, even WITH everything that has gone wrong this year. preparation, in game adjustments, bench management and urgency have all been piss poor to the max under Quinn. This will all continue to be a problem even with a more well rounded roster.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Trotz is a good coach. Quinn is a poor coach. Neither are the right coach for the Rangers. Complaining about complaining is absurd.

Nobody seems to particularily like Quinn, but he hangs on out of fear for the alternative (some fossil) and lack of new coaching talent. But carrying a poor coach will come at a cost later. It's a cart before the horse situation, which is awkward and doesn't help the team grow, as we've seen this season.

Honestly that is my fear, they replace Quinn with some other coach who literally starts complaining he does not have the right players for whatever his idea is, and the Rangers start doing dumb stuff to get those players only to change coaching again in like 2 years once that also does not work. Leaves them with players the previous coach wanted, not necessarily players the next coach wants.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Honestly that is my fear, they replace Quinn with some other coach who literally starts complaining he does not have the right players for whatever his idea is, and the Rangers start doing dumb stuff to get those players only to change coaching again in like 2 years once that also does not work. Leaves them with players the previous coach wanted, not necessarily players the next coach wants.

That's why I say the future is the Laf/Kakko et al wave. This team will contend when they are 23-24 (like Colorado is getting ready to do with MacKinnon, Rantanen etc) and Fox is in his prime. It really is up to management to keep the focus long term and build around them. The playoffs are important to keep the games real and meaningful, but not crucial for a year or two yet.

What is needed now is an identity and to build a complete Team out of the disparage parts that exist now, which is up to management and the coaches. When you look at Sakic/Bednar, Waddell/Brind'Amour, Brisebois/Connor, for example, you see a unity of approach and a clear idea of how to proceed. But it's management that have things well in hand, not a coach that is running the asylum.

The next year or two management have some important decisions to make regarding players and coaches. It is the time to lay the foundation.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I can’t for the life of me believe Davidson and Gorton don’t see the glaring issue here. They’re incredibly easy for legit playoff teams to gameplan for. Martin elbows a guy everybody is screaming for to become next Rangers captain and he wilts the rest of the game, as does the rest of the team. No pushback. Lacking leadership, lacking intensity, you name it. That was a disgrace last night. Quinn trying not to bury his group I guess but idk how he can sit there and say it was better than Thursday. I could’ve sworn I saw Varlamov at one point relaxing in the crease in a beach chair with a drink in his hand. Team isn’t constructed to play “inside the tackles.” Gorton has done an excellent job stockpiling talent but soon or a later they’ll need to address the element that helps win in the playoffs, grit, sandpaper, and determined players that won’t quit and provide necessary leadership. Even the backend is green. A new voice behind the bench too.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

This is JD and Gortons team, they arent going to let the coach dictate what players are on the roster or what trades to make.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Why SHOULD Quinn be back?

IMO we should have been a playoff team, improving YoY. Next year we 100% need to be a playoff team.

It can't only be about development. We still need to win hockey games and I do not see how Quinn is the best option. We are being set up for failure if he's back... unless he has an epiphany in the offseason and becomes a good NHL coach.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia