Ian Mitchell

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
My desire is that the next CBA has a compensation factor that gives a team the same slot/position for a NCAA player that elects free agency instead of signing with original drafting team.
Currently, there is only compensation for 1st rounders but not in same slot but awarded in between 1st and 2nd.
Expand to all rounds but to same slot.
Probably could expand to JR’s. and Euros who don’t sign but perhaps a age factor of 22-23 or 4 year ( from drafting year) waiting penalty could apply to those.
Their options still would give them $ earning power but just not from NHL coffers.
A lot of Euros do that already and it would actually give those players..Juniors and Euros.. a way shorter path to UFA status.

Going from 31 right down to 27 along with the 7 year tenure to UFA status, was too generous in the last CBA settlement .

Of course if I was an NHL player it would be a different story, but I’m a fan and as a result of those changes, the segue to business pretty well made the dedication and playing for the love of the game evaporate.
Finally, a better buyout system would be welcome for all teams , fans and players for non performance purposes.
By “players” it would open up roster spots for the outgoing buyouts, for “teams” it would probably in some cases, give them better cap positions with bringing in cheaper options or ability to sign better players at comparable outgoing money and for fans, a better overall Quality on Ice product.
Ok, after all that, please Ian Mitchell, sign and don’t follow Montgomery your 1st yr College coach or Berube just because he’s from same Hometown!!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I’m not entirely in the “trade him” category, but if an amazing deal comes around, then it might be in the organization’s best interest to move him. Stan should be in full communication mode with him. Perhaps Denver would be open to having Campbell make some visits there too. Would solidify the commitment.

The forwards from the past two drafts aren’t close enough to help aside from potentially Kurashev. Unless someone like Hayes is signed, maybe a top six young forward from around the 2014/15 drafts or so?

Reactions: LDF

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
It's more than likely he would have signed if was guarenteed a spot in the NHL lineup.

The Blackhawks, obviously, aren't going to make that guarentee.

He's not choosing another year of college over the NHL, he's choosing it over a year of riding buses for Rockford.
I think this is a fair point but still risky for the hawks.

One thing he said which makes me feel better is he implied loyalty and how the hawks have helped his development. That was good to hear him say.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The crux of the biscuit comes a year from now. Until then, I choose to take his word. The "trade him now" crowd is very much overreacting.
while i think that i may be in the crowd of trading him. so i will further explain my pov. this is not me over-reacting but using a promising assets to use to trade, to fix this team now going forward. getting a player who can fill in the patch up the holes of this team for next yr run for the playoff.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That just wasnt going to happen. Nothing i saw of him at the World Juniors indicated he was near ready to be a full time NHL'er.
and you make a good point, however there are other ways to help this team at this time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If Mitchell doesn't sign next summer, then we need to ask him where he wants to play and perhaps try to salvage the situation. Until then, the Hawks should just sit tight. There's no reason to get nervous. There's still plenty of time.
but the end results is the main offensive players of the Bhawks has a expiration date. plus the owners wants to make the playoff now instead of a later date.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
but the end results is the main offensive players of the Bhawks has a expiration date. plus the owners wants to make the playoff now instead of a later date.
Mitchell still needs a lot of time for development. He's not going to make or break the Hawks in the next 2-3 years. My impression is that he could be something by his 2nd contract OR trade bait. DMen take time to develop ... especially those who aren't first round picks. Let's not forget, Dahlstrom was a 2nd round pick too. Gilbert is a 3rd round pick. K^4 was a 1st rounder.

I'm far more focused on Joker and Boqvist right now. Perhaps Beaudin gets into the mix at some point along with Mitchell. That's why posters have convinced me that Byram might be the best choice at 3. You can't have enough good young DMen.

Reactions: LordKOTL

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Mitchell still needs a lot of time for development. He's not going to make or break the Hawks in the next 2-3 years. My impression is that he could be something by his 2nd contract OR trade bait. DMen take time to develop ... especially those who aren't first round picks. Let's not forget, Dahlstrom was a 2nd round pick too. Gilbert is a 3rd round pick. K^4 was a 1st rounder.

I'm far more focused on Joker and Boqvist right now. Perhaps Beaudin gets into the mix at some point along with Mitchell. That's why posters have convinced me that Byram might be the best choice at 3. You can't have enough good young DMen.
you are under the wrong impression that i am talking about Mitchell and next season.

let me clarify this better. Mitchell pkg with a prospect/player to a team for a vital player who can help the team next season. my whole idea has been how to improve/fix this team with what is available ..... in order to pkg for a larger rtn.

btw i am even addressing Byram now.

fyi i still think Mitchell is at least 2 yrs away from help any team.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
you are under the wrong impression that i am talking about Mitchell and next season.

let me clarify this better. Mitchell pkg with a prospect/player to a team for a vital player who can help the team next season. my whole idea has been how to improve/fix this team with what is available ..... in order to pkg for a larger rtn.

btw i am even addressing Byram now.

fyi i still think Mitchell is at least 2 yrs away from help any team.
If you want to package Mitchell in a trade, Mitchell probably knows that too. More reason to stay in college with that kind of uncertainty. With more leverage, Mitchell is able to control his own destiny.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If you want to package Mitchell in a trade, Mitchell probably knows that too. More reason to stay in college with that kind of uncertainty. With more leverage, Mitchell is able to control his own destiny.
my stance from the beginning was to promote the idea of trading him. then several posters on this site mention that he was signing here. i really thought fine, get him in the system and see how far away he is. then the new details of Mitchell wanting to go back to school.

i then started up my narrative on trading him. my rant is if he does not sign to help the team them trade him now while the fire is hot.

btw there is no controlling his destiny, he signed start his nhl time now and bring in his starting salary. how does a player control his nhl future ??

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

So was Keith :)

I've got no running in our upcoming 3rd except don't trade it away unless you send out cap and get a haul coming back. I just think that defense and it not being a bust like Barker are the watchwords. Hell I'll go so far as to say that if Stan manages to screw up the 3rd pick and we get another Barker he doesn't just get fired, he gets promoted to head UC bathroom cleaner after Taco Tuesdays...but I digress.

As for Mitchell, I'm not for the "Trade him away" but his decision for one more year of college may be a blessing in disguise. If he doesn't play for the 'hawks next season, he's automatically exempt from the expansion draft. If he is ad good as some here think he is (2nd prospect D-man behind Boqvist and ahead of Joker), that is a great mid-to-long term move.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’m not entirely in the “trade him” category, but if an amazing deal comes around, then it might be in the organization’s best interest to move him. Stan should be in full communication mode with him. Perhaps Denver would be open to having Campbell make some visits there too. Would solidify the commitment.

The forwards from the past two drafts aren’t close enough to help aside from potentially Kurashev. Unless someone like Hayes is signed, maybe a top six young forward from around the 2014/15 drafts or so?

Edit: Wrong info, my mistake.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I understand the Barker parallel people are trying to make, to an extent, but it really doesn't apply to this situation at all, for me. Completely different situations.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I understand the Barker parallel people are trying to make, to an extent, but it really doesn't apply to this situation at all, for me. Completely different situations.

Barker was a bust but from what I remember everything with him looked like he was going to be the real deal.

He was decent his 2008-09 season.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, I confused the two. My mistake. Was thinking of Boqvist.

I'm actually not sure Campbell could work with Mitchell right now even if they wanted to. Mitchell hasn't signed and Campbell is a Blackhawks' employee...not sure what CBA and NCAA rules would be at play there.

Barker was a bust but from what I remember everything with him looked like he was going to be the real deal.

He was decent his 2008-09 season.

Barker was the consensus pick at the time but there were still questions marks about his skating and some off-ice concerns that were not oft-talked about at the time. And those skating concerns were within the context of the pre-lockout rules and style of game. He entered the league post-lockout so it was even more exposed eventually. Add to that, scouting and player development are far ahead of where they were even 15 years ago. You're going to see MUCH less bust in top 5 picks today than you've ever seen in the history of the league since the draft was instituted. There won't NONE, but it's going to be far, far fewer. Further, this current scouting staff is light years beyond what they had back then, or ever, for that matter.

Many question marks Barker may have had, Byram does not. I get the comps based on position and draft slot, but it's really apples and oranges in my opinion.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm actually not sure Campbell could work with Mitchell right now even if they wanted to. Mitchell hasn't signed and Campbell is a Blackhawks' employee...not sure what CBA and NCAA rules would be at play there.

Barker was the consensus pick at the time but there were still questions marks about his skating and some off-ice concerns that were not oft-talked about at the time. And those skating concerns were within the context of the pre-lockout rules and style of game. He entered the league post-lockout so it was even more exposed eventually. Add to that, scouting and player development are far ahead of where they were even 15 years ago. You're going to see MUCH less bust in top 5 picks today than you've ever seen in the history of the league since the draft was instituted. There won't NONE, but it's going to be far, far fewer. Further, this current scouting staff is light years beyond what they had back then, or ever, for that matter.

Many question marks Barker may have had, Byram does not. I get the comps based on position and draft slot, but it's really apples and oranges in my opinion.

Exactly.

I don't remember hearing the off-ice stuff. PM is it too bad for here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad