Ian Mitchell

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
lol

could easily say they see the depth in the organization at ians position and will not rush to sign...hint hint

Do you often hear of sports agents giving organizations ultimatums, particularly with young players who have yet to break into the bigs, which could entirely ruin his career development/path?

I get what you're saying... I just don't think it's logical, or really all that plausible for an agent to demand something of an organization, and the organization to just follow through on it.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Do you often hear of sports agents giving organizations ultimatums, particularly with young players who have yet to break into the bigs, which could entirely ruin his career development/path?

I get what you're saying... I just don't think it's logical, or really all that plausible for an agent to demand something of an organization, and the organization to just follow through on it.

its not an ultimatum if its in the best interest of his client to have him not sign. mitchell would have been completely in the right to not sign and use the threat of UFA in a few years to get a better situation for himself. Everyone on this board thought UFA when he didnt sign the front office for sure did too.

im not saying this is what happened but very plausible.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
its not an ultimatum if its in the best interest of his client to have him not sign. mitchell would have been completely in the right to not sign and use the threat of UFA in a few years to get a better situation for himself. Everyone on this board thought UFA when he didnt sign the front office for sure did too.

im not saying this is what happened but very plausible.

I actually saw just a few knee-jerk reactions by people who thought him going back to school for year 3 immediately meant that he wasn't going to sign... but far from "everyone" thinking he was going to go UFA... And it was the same few who are always standing on the edge of the cliff...

I highly doubt the front office did, as they have faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more information that we do, and most on here didn't even think it was that big of an issue that he didn't sign last year.

Not so much plausible as blind speculation of something that, AFAIK, doesn't really happen in the sports world all that often. Most organizations are going to tell a young player, who has yet to get a contract, or come close to cracking their roster, and whose agent makes demands of them, to f*** off.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I actually saw a few knee-jerk reactions by people who thought him going back to school for year 4 immediately meant that he wasn't going to sign... but far from "everyone" thinking he was going to go UFA...
I highly doubt the front office did, as they have faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more information that we do, and most on here didn't even think it was that big of an issue that he didn't sign last year.

Not so much plausible as blind speculation of something that, AFAIK, doesn't really happen in the sports world all that often. Most organizations are going to tell a young player, who has yet to get a contract, or come close to cracking their roster, and whose agent makes demands of them, to **** off.
im not saying everyone thought that but back of everyones head was uh oh. As far as the bottom part its not making demands its just the act of not signing and having valid reason for it. im sure using the leverage you have for a young player happens in the sports world all the time.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
lol, no ultimatum was issued by Mitchell's camp. Hawks have made it crystal clear how much they value him. Still expecting him to stay at DU, but won't be surprised if he signs soon.
chihawk10 mentioned an ultimatum i did not. simply by not signing and explaining the reason being to many people at his position seemed to be the nudge.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i guess it was probly somewhere in between. a show of good faith because of the pressure mitchell and his agent put on by not signing.

Reactions: bwana63

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
im not saying everyone thought that but back of everyones head was uh oh. As far as the bottom part its not making demands its just the act of not signing and having valid reason for it. im sure using the leverage you have for a young player happens in the sports world all the time.
Disappointing, but he probably likes the thought of heading back there as Captain and chasing a Natty title one more time. I'm not remotely alarmed or concerned.

I still say if he sees his Senior year at Denver I'll eat the nastiest crow ever imagined.

I wasn't one of the people who thought he looked NHL ready, so I don't really mind.

Will be interesting to see if he signs after his Junior year, or is going to hold out for UFA.

Only if he stays for his senior year. It could be a good thing if he decides to sign next year. That said, Mitchell will have a lot more leverage next year.

IMO, Mitchell knew he'd be spending at least half his time, if not more, in Rockford next year. Why not develop in Denver where he's a rock star on campus?

Oh well.

I'm fine with this as long as he signs after next season.

Only good news here, is that he's not a Senior.

He will only be a junior and things can change. I would just have Scotty B go talk to him like they did with Leddy.

I just can't see him staying in Denver for 2 more seasons. It's not Harvard.

Basically Vesey is the only guy that curbed his team without them doing anything wrong to him. Just dont trade him, trade someone close to him, or tell him to stay while he wants to go pro and it'll be fine.

Every single moment a person doesnt sign as soon as they could is not reason to assume he is leaving.

If you want a bright spot, the best I can think of is that Stan gets a full season to weed out the D logjam. Should've been fixed this season, but whatever.

Bunch of chicken littles up in here. Let things play out

Edit: nice post BK! The kid is taking responsibility for his game. That’s great

Sounds good to me.

the only names he should be concerned with are Boqvist and Joker, outside of that the rest are LDs or just not good enough to block his path. Byram has little to no bearing on Mitchell overall IMO.

What Hayes said and what Mitchell said are different. The Hayes situation was completely different because the factors that impacted his choice. “Pretty sure” makes his comment very different, stop ignoring it.

Again...

“No way” is not close to “pretty sure”.

Much ado about nothing.

Yes, it's not ideal. But some fans are overreacting.

Just the first 3 pages of this thread... the vast majority were, and still remain, unconcerned.

Leverage? The agent doesn't really have any in this situation. What leverage does he have? The agent goes to the Hawks: "Move a player out to make room for my client, or he'll walk after next year." Hawks say... "Have fun, go find him a new team."

Reactions: Muffinalt

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
i guess it was probly somewhere in between. a show of good faith because of the pressure mitchell and his agent put on by not signing.

Bingo.

He didn't sign because he wanted to go be King Ding-a-ling on campus, and try to win the Frozen Four again, and maybe even a HB Award. Hawks felt a little pressure, and valued him far above Joker, and so Joker became the expendable asset, and in a show of good faith, they moved him, thus making room for Mitchell to sign.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
IDK where barstool chief heard this but in a recent article he said Barry Smith described Mitchell as "the best kid he's ever worked with"...found that interesting

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I mean, I'm more concerned about losing Mitchell NOW, cause the Blackhawks gave up on Joker prematurely. They cant afford for another D prospect to just walk for nothing.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I mean, I'm more concerned about losing Mitchell NOW, cause the Blackhawks gave up on Joker prematurely. They cant afford for another D prospect to just walk for nothing.

Which is funny, because this should be a pretty good indication that they're serious about him signing, and staying within the organization, and based upon them meeting with Mitchell this week, it seems that he is also pretty serious about being here.(when combined with what he had said earlier this year).

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Bingo.

He didn't sign because he wanted to go be King Ding-a-ling on campus, and try to win the Frozen Four again, and maybe even a HB Award. Hawks felt a little pressure, and valued him far above Joker, and so Joker became the expendable asset, and in a show of good faith, they moved him, thus making room for Mitchell to sign.

King Ding-a-ling's a little harsh, no? He said he wants to be dominant. I take him for his word. Hope he changes his mind.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Just the first 3 pages of this thread... the vast majority were, and still remain, unconcerned.

Leverage? The agent doesn't really have any in this situation. What leverage does he have? The agent goes to the Hawks: "Move a player out to make room for my client, or he'll walk after next year." Hawks say... "Have fun, go find him a new team."
If the player is willing to play all 4 years in college, of course he has leverage. It's just common sense.

What team wants to lose a 2nd round draft pick without even putting on their sweater for nothing?

That said, I don't think Mitchell had anything to do with Joker being traded ... unless Mitchell said he wouldn't leave school until we could guarantee a NHL roster spot for a certain amount of games. Even then, it's still all up to the Hawks.

The leverage for Mitchell comes in AFTER his junior year in college. Until then, it's not a big deal.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Huh? I don't follow this line of thinking at all. Mitchell sees that there is now one less guy to compete with a limited amount of slots on the blue line.... But that makes Mitchell more likely to bolt with less competition? That makes no sense.

Also, I don't see it as the Hawks giving up on Joker. Our forward prospect depth in terms of higher end prospects is not extensive. They dealt a strength for a need IMO.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This doesn’t really makes sense logically.

Losing Mitchell wasn't a huge concern to me, cause I felt we had two D prospects better than him. One of them (Joker) already had NHL games under his belt, the other is still a teenager and lighting it up in London. Losing your 3rd best D prospect because you're forced to trade him before he walks to UFA isn't a huge blow if you have depth ahead of him. Now the only guy ahead of him is a kid that's still years away.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
King Ding-a-ling's a little harsh, no? He said he wants to be dominant. I take him for his word. Hope he changes his mind.

:huh:

He wanted to be King Dick on campus. The Big Swingin' Dick. I think you misunderstood what I mean by that. ;) :laugh:

I'm meaning he wants to be the Top Dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: jls24

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If the player is willing to play all 4 years in college, of course he has leverage. It's just common sense.

What team wants to lose a 2nd round draft pick without even putting on their sweater for nothing?

That said, I don't think Mitchell had anything to do with Joker being traded ... unless Mitchell said he wouldn't leave school until we could guarantee a NHL roster spot for a certain amount of games. Even then, it's still all up to the Hawks.

The leverage for Mitchell comes in AFTER his junior year in college. Until then, it's not a big deal.

A. Why are you bringing up a scenario that we're not discussing, because it hasn't reached that point? I'm talking about right now. Mitchell's agent didn't go to the Hawks and "nudge" them to trade someone to make room for his client, right now. Because he doesn't have that leverage like he would a year from now. I mean... you even say this in your last sentence... wtf? Not to mention, it's not a good way to begin a relationship with a player looking to crack a pro roster soon... making demands/requests of the organization.
B. None, but it rarely happens... How often do you see a highly touted prospect just bolt from his draft team? Once every handful of years, if that? Don't bother mentioning Kayes. Entirely different situation.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Losing Mitchell wasn't a huge concern to me, cause I felt we had two D prospects better than him. One of them (Joker) already had NHL games under his belt, the other is still a teenager and lighting it up in London. Losing your 3rd best D prospect because you're forced to trade him before he walks to UFA isn't a huge blow if you have depth ahead of him. Now the only guy ahead of him is a kid that's still years away.

Maybe this is where we differ.

When do you think Mitchell, Boqvist, Beaudin, Vlasic, and Krys will be ready to make the lead to the NHL? I'm probably more conservative than some with my expectations of these guys ready to compete for a slot on the NHL roster. I'm expecting something like....

Mitchell - 2 seasons away.
Boqvist - 1 season away.
Beaudin - 2, maybe 3 seasons away.
Vlasic - 3-4 seasons away.
Krys - 2-3 seasons away.

With our defense as is, there really isn't any room for these guys before those timelines anyway without someone being shipped out. So if that's the case, then Joker was just a luxury in the front office's mind more than anything.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Hawks felt a little pressure, and valued him far above Joker, and so Joker became the expendable asset, and in a show of good faith, they moved him, thus making room for Mitchell to sign.

Is there some quote I missed from Bowman where he says this?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Is there some quote I missed from Bowman where he says this?

I'm pretty sure there has been a ton of stuff posted regarding others jumping Joker on the prospect depth chart... there are quotes from Bowman interviews, and other things said in Podcasts, I believe. I'm not gonna go digging for them, though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad