Ian Mitchell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
True, nobody knows. And turning money down is tough to do.

However, him leaving Denver would not allow him to finish his degree.

if the Bhawks is not his ideal team, going back to school to get a degree and hit FA's, well the GAMBLE of injury can not be denied.

he and his camp of this not happening, but i am a firm believer in the "WHAT IF" factor.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We’re not going to get commensurate value for an unsigned Mitchell and we only spent a 2nd on him. Just ride it out, if he walks, he walks. If he stays, he is a gem and a steal of a pick.

That being said, as long as this rule is in place, it’s probably a good idea to pass on players who want to go to college if there are players of a similar upside available that do not. In this case, it was worth the risk given Mitchell’s high upside.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We’re not going to get commensurate value for an unsigned Mitchell and we only spent a 2nd on him. Just ride it out, if he walks, he walks. If he stays, he is a gem and a steal of a pick.

That being said, as long as this rule is in place, it’s probably a good idea to pass on players who want to go to college if there are players of a similar upside available that do not. In this case, it was worth the risk given Mitchell’s high upside.
totally a different case here, ref the bold.

the value of IM is that you pkg his rights with a player / prospect to entice a team to make that trade. it is b/c of my wanting the Bhawks to really compete next yr and to fix this blasted team that i am even venturing in this realm of trading.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
totally a different case here, ref the bold.

the value of IM is that you pkg his rights with a player / prospect to entice a team to make that trade. it is b/c of my wanting the Bhawks to really compete next yr and to fix this blasted team that i am even venturing in this realm of trading.

The question is what other pieces would you be willing to move in such a trade? I mean, yeah, if we could staple him to Seabrook to entice a team, why the hell not. Most people would probably be on board with that type of trade. If we are talking about packaging him with Saad, he needs to be valued as more than a throw in because that’s a lot of talent walking out the door so it better be a hell of a package coming back.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The question is what other pieces would you be willing to move in such a trade? I mean, yeah, if we could staple him to Seabrook to entice a team, why the hell not. Most people would probably be on board with that type of trade. If we are talking about packaging him with Saad, he needs to be valued as more than a throw in because that’s a lot of talent walking out the door so it better be a hell of a package coming back.
tbh, that whole scenario is not the question and that is for another thread, time and or discussion.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
what is every little kid who plays hockey..... to finish college hockey on a successful note or to make the PRO's ??
He's already been drafted lol. He's not a 9-year old in Mites.

The guy chose to stay and play another year in the NCAA when he clearly already knows he has a spot at the pro level.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He's already been drafted lol. He's not a 9-year old in Mites.

The guy chose to stay and play another year in the NCAA when he clearly already knows he has a spot at the pro level.

oops misread the meaning of your post.

wouldn't concept is true for all drafted players ?? are they not all drafted ??

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
oops misread the meaning of your post.

wouldn't concept is true for all drafted players ?? are they not all drafted ??
Because he wants to play another year for a school who's paying for his education? He's in a great spot to win a championship in Denver - and potentially the Hobey Baker along with furthering his schooling.

There's more to life than being able to say, "ah yeah, I went pro at 20". He clearly values staying in Denver more than having that "professional" knotch on his belt right now. You think this is his only shot the pros?

Or are you just pissed he didn't sign?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The loophole needs to go and probably will at some point. Make them RFAs so teams can recoup fairish value. Hawks lose a lot of leverage once teams know he has a high likelihood of waiting until he’s done to turn UFA.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The loophole needs to go and probably will at some point. Make them RFAs so teams can recoup fairish value. Hawks lose a lot of leverage once teams know he has a high likelihood of waiting until he’s done to turn UFA.
Doubtful. Baseball loses the rights of HS players and college juniors who go back to college. It's the job of the teams to do their due diligence.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Doubtful. Baseball loses the rights of HS players and college juniors who go back to college. It's the job of the teams to do their due diligence.

Just make them RFAs. Solves a lot...or is this just not at the discretion of the league what happens after 4 years?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Just make them RFAs. Solves a lot
I get what you are saying, but the players are not going to give that up so easily. Granted, the NHLPA won't go out of their way to help players who are not already in the union, but they also won't give up rights to be a UFA without serious concessions from the owners.

We're taking the view of a fan ... which usually is line with the owners rather than players.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The notion that we are going to trade him is hilarious. How are you even going to get good value? He’ll sign and it’ll all be fine.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That is entirely false

There is nothing that would prevent him from finishing college education
Most of the elite Universities don't allow you to return after a specific amount of time away WITHOUT a waiver. I don't know Denver's policy ... or if he got a waiver. Of course, he could finish his degree somewhere else.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

those looholes are a necessary evil to check the owners monopoly.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Because he wants to play another year for a school who's paying for his education? He's in a great spot to win a championship in Denver - and potentially the Hobey Baker along with furthering his schooling.

There's more to life than being able to say, "ah yeah, I went pro at 20". He clearly values staying in Denver more than having that "professional" knotch on his belt right now. You think this is his only shot the pros?

Or are you just pissed he didn't sign?
just using the typical narrative to make a point. at this point, i am enjoying myself and really don't want to deal with it.

everyone has an opinion and respect that over all things.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Most of the elite Universities don't allow you to return after a specific amount of time away WITHOUT a waiver. I don't know Denver's policy ... or if he got a waiver. Of course, he could finish his degree somewhere else.

Many players have finished their degrees remotely/online beginning right after they leave and/or with courses over the course of a couple or few off-seasons. It's pretty flexible to accomplish nowadays if it's something you want to actually do.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Many players have finished their degrees remotely/online beginning right after they leave and/or with courses over the course of a couple or few off-seasons. It's pretty flexible to accomplish nowadays if it's something you want to actually do.
Yes. It's just that some of the better Universities highly limit online credits. Again, that's for the elite Universities / top 25 colleges.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yes. It's just that some of the better Universities highly limit online credits. Again, that's for the elite Universities / top 25 colleges.

They all make it work if it's something the player wants to do. Forgot who it was in the past year, but someone left Harvard for the NHL early (which is pretty rare) and he's completing his degree. There was an article about him taking his text books and stuff on the road with him because had to study.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They all make it work if it's something the player wants to do. Forgot who it was in the past year, but someone left Harvard for the NHL early (which is pretty rare) and he's completing his degree. There was an article about him taking his text books and stuff on the road with him because had to study.
most excellent post.

it goes back the the player and how much he wants it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad