Ian Mitchell

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I guess it wasn’t a guarantee he’d sign. Will be interesting to see if he changes his mind about signing if they draft Byram.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Disappointing, but he probably likes the thought of heading back there as Captain and chasing a Natty title one more time. I'm not remotely alarmed or concerned.

I still say if he sees his Senior year at Denver I'll eat the nastiest crow ever imagined.

Reactions: Idionym

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I wasn't one of the people who thought he looked NHL ready, so I don't really mind.

Will be interesting to see if he signs after his Junior year, or is going to hold out for UFA.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Well that sucks.
Only if he stays for his senior year. It could be a good thing if he decides to sign next year. That said, Mitchell will have a lot more leverage next year.

IMO, Mitchell knew he'd be spending at least half his time, if not more, in Rockford next year. Why not develop in Denver where he's a rock star on campus?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Disappointing, but he probably likes the thought of heading back there as Captain and chasing a Natty title one more time. I'm not remotely alarmed or concerned.

I still say if he sees his Senior year at Denver I'll eat the nastiest crow ever imagined.

I question the make up of someone in any sport that goes back to school when turning pro is in play for them. I know people value things differently but this is like staying in house league when the AAA travel team is begging you to play for them.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
tenor.gif

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I question the make up of someone in any sport that goes back to school when turning pro is in play for them. I know people value things differently but this is like staying in house league when the AAA travel team is begging you to play for them.

We all know way too little to nothing about the behind the scenes of these decisions. For all we know the organization preferred him develop another season there and made the choice themselves not to sign him. I'm not saying that's the case or that I know it is, but we just don't know. Wasn't he quoted recently as saying he's ready to come anytime they want him or something like that? Again, can't go by what is said by anybody in sports publicly but just speaks to the point of us not knowing the story behind the scenes.

I don't hold it against the kid if it's his choice, personally. I get your take on it, I just don't necessarily agree, at least not across the board. I take it case by base. I get it a bit in this situation and don't hold it as a negative.

Reactions: Illinihockey

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Would you rather stay in Rockford for a year OR live like a rock star on the Denver campus? Sorry Courtney. When 20 years old, one might have different sensibilities. More maturity in college is not a bad thing. Let's hope he signs next year though.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Only if he stays for his senior year. It could be a good thing if he decides to sign next year. That said, Mitchell will have a lot more leverage next year.

IMO, Mitchell knew he'd be spending at least half his time, if not more, in Rockford next year. Why not develop in Denver where he's a rock star on campus?

Right, probably tell the Hawks he wants to burn a year off of his ELC like we see prospects do.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Would you rather stay in Rockford for a year OR live like a rock star on the Denver campus? Sorry Courtney. When 20 years old, one might have different sensibilities. More maturity in college is not a bad thing. Let's hope he signs next year though.

If I wanted to make the NHL, I'd want to get into a NHL system right away, play against much more advanced players. Get professional coaching and not be subject to playing limitations that NCAA has.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If I wanted to make the NHL, I'd want to get into a NHL system right away, play against much more advanced players. Get professional coaching and not be subject to playing limitations that NCAA has.
You make good points. I'm just saying it's not all bad or a completely irrational decision.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

I understand why he'd want to continue to play in the NCAA.

The problem is that he is one step closer to leaving. This organization is loaded with defensive prospects (and could get even more full if we pick Byram). Why would the kid sign with us and have to beat out all the other prospects we have when he can just wait another year and sign with whoever he wants?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

The problem is that he is one step closer to leaving. This organization is loaded with defensive prospects (and could get even more full if we pick Byram). Why would the kid sign with us and have to beat out all the other prospects we have when he can just wait another year and sign with whoever he wants?

The Hawks absolutely need to evaluate that scenario, they cannot just let this asset slip away for nothing.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Especially when we sign Adam Fox next year.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad