Ian Mitchell

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its just reality here that some people are grasping at straws (He cant possibly finish school if he goes pro!) to try and dismiss the fact that we should now be very concerned we are witnessing the beginning stages of Hayes 2.0

At end of day his refusal to sign with Hawks this offseason should at very least make him a potential trade chip going forward

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Its just reality here that some people are grasping at straws (He cant possibly finish school if he goes pro!) to try and dismiss the fact that we should now be very concerned we are witnessing the beginning stages of Hayes 2.0

At end of day his refusal to sign with Hawks this offseason should at very least make him a potential trade chip going forward
most excellent and i totally agree.....

i believe everyone is trade able. with that, the success on this club is paramount for me ....... so add him to a pkg to trade.

plus every rookie get what kind of $$$ for his rookie yr..... plus his time starts according to the CBA.....

i am looking for the team success.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They all make it work if it's something the player wants to do. Forgot who it was in the past year, but someone left Harvard for the NHL early (which is pretty rare) and he's completing his degree. There was an article about him taking his text books and stuff on the road with him because had to study.
In short, while a Harvard Extension Degree is issued by Harvard University, it is not the same degree that is issued to graduates of other schools at Harvard such as a Harvard College AB degree, a Harvard Business School MBA degree, or a Harvard GSAS AM degree.

However, the Harvard Extension Degree is still issued by Harvard University. That said, employers know the difference between Harvard University and Harvard Extension School. Just like we know the difference between the Kellogg School of Business full time and the Kellogg School of Business part time.

Did I Really Go to Harvard If I Got My Degree Taking Online Classes?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Maybe, maybe not. Blake Wheeler spent 3 seasons in college. So did Torey Krug.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
In short, while a Harvard Extension Degree is issued by Harvard University, it is not the same degree that is issued to graduates of other schools at Harvard such as a Harvard College AB degree, a Harvard Business School MBA degree, or a Harvard GSAS AM degree.

However, the Harvard Extension Degree is still issued by Harvard University. That said, employers know the difference between Harvard University and Harvard Extension School. Just like we know the difference between the Kellogg School of Business full time and the Kellogg School of Business part time.

Did I Really Go to Harvard If I Got My Degree Taking Online Classes?

I think you're missing the point here.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think you're missing the point here.
You seem to be missing MY point. I don't disagree you can get online degrees. I said that in my original post. However, receiving a degree from Harvard College and Harvard Extension School are two very different things. If you are fine with a Harvard Extension School degree, there's no problem. However, don't say it's from Harvard College. That said, I do know Harvard College does take some online credits. However, that was never the argument.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You seem to be missing MY point. I don't disagree you can get online degrees. I said that in my original post. However, receiving a degree from Harvard College and Harvard Extension School are two very different things. If you are fine with a Harvard Extension School degree, there's no problem. However, don't say it's from Harvard College. That said, I do know Harvard College does take some online credits. However, that was never the argument.

You are arguing semantics in a discussion about millionaire athletes, that pretty much want the degree, just as an accomplishment. Or because it's something their parents wanted them to do.

That, or they want the actual education in regards to finance or business... Which is what most of them major in. These aren't guys that need a prestigious Harvard degree to get a job after hockey, FFS.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You are arguing semantics in a discussion about millionaire athletes, that pretty much want the degree, just as an accomplishment. Or because it's something their parents wanted them to do.

That, or they want the actual education in regards to finance or business... Which is what most of them major in. These aren't guys that need a prestigious Harvard degree to get a job after hockey, FFS.
1. I'm not arguing semantics. In the thread, I was clear with my post about getting a degree at the same University after they leave for a time. Some elite Universities don't allow it.
Most of the elite Universities don't allow you to return after a specific amount of time away WITHOUT a waiver. I don't know Denver's policy ... or if he got a waiver. Of course, he could finish his degree somewhere else.

2. I completely agree that multi million dollar athletes don't need a college degree to do something after hockey (though it might help for credibility).

3. In regards to Ian Mitchell, I don't know his personal situation or motivation. I was commenting that going back and getting his DENVER degree might not be that easy after he leaves. Nothing more.

It's not a big deal. If Ian wants his degree, good for him.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Except, nobody here said anything about getting his DENVER degree. They simply said that he can finish his college education after turning pro... Which is entirely true. So, you are indeed arguing semantics.

And you would be surprised at the concessions a university will make for an alumni that went on to be a professional athlete.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Except, nobody here said anything about getting his DENVER degree. They simply said that he can finish his college education after turning pro... Which is entirely true. So, you are indeed arguing semantics.

And you would be surprised at the concessions a university will make for an alumni that went on to be a professional athlete.
And that's why I said specifically in my post that he can get a college degree SOMEWHERE ELSE. That's why I quoted my own post. This is not semantics. You are just refusing to read.

And yeah ... I exactly know what Universities will do for a professional athlete. That's why I asked if Ian Mitchell received a waiver.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Why would Hawks ever guarantee him a spit in the lineupast for next season. ..If he were as good and impact full =more than ready like Makar who steps in and doesn't miss a beat....then Hawks would be crazy not to grantee him a spot ..but folks..he is not even close to Makar type impact.nope..the usual ...."not ready"...nerds more development. ..so either back to Denver and hope he improves over a season where he really did not make any great leap to greatness or do that seasoning in the AHL which either he was not so enthusiastic about ...
Or the Hawks daw a crowded Rockford blue line and decided to "stagger"his infusion to pro 1 more season hoping he will be "ready"for immediate jump to NHL after this extra year of letting him develop to a better player (hopefully).

Of course it may be that too many on this board have bought the kool-aid on how good he is ...maybe too much expectation and hype.

Proof will be if he has a more productive season in 2019/20 and then seems like a top 2 for us rather than just another guy trying for our #4 or #5 d spot.

Reactions: LDF

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
They all make it work if it's something the player wants to do. Forgot who it was in the past year, but someone left Harvard for the NHL early (which is pretty rare) and he's completing his degree. There was an article about him taking his text books and stuff on the road with him because had to study.
I believe that was Ryan Danoto.

Reactions: Blue Liner

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL

You're right. He could finish school if he went pro.

However I don't know how many players continue their schooling while playing in the NHL. Do you?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's more than likely he would have signed if was guarenteed a spot in the NHL lineup.

The Blackhawks, obviously, aren't going to make that guarentee.

He's not choosing another year of college over the NHL, he's choosing it over a year of riding buses for Rockford.
and while riding the bus he can check his bank balance with the rookie contract he will be making.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Third season doesn't matter. If he goes back next for his Senior year season? Ok, now you have an issue on your hands.
my beef in not about the Bhawks 2 yr from now, i am talking about how he could have helped the Bhawks this yr.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
my beef in not about the Bhawks 2 yr from now, i am talking about how he could have helped the Bhawks this yr.
That just wasnt going to happen. Nothing i saw of him at the World Juniors indicated he was near ready to be a full time NHL'er.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Concerned is fine but people are already saying trade him.
Agreed. Personally I think the earliest you can think about trading him is if he still isn’t signed at this point next year. There’s valid reasons for him going back to school this year but there really isn’t a reason for him to go back for his senior year and would signify a problem.

I’d be absolutely stunned if he went back for his senior year though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Agreed. Personally I think the earliest you can think about trading him is if he still isn’t signed at this point next year. There’s valid reasons for him going back to school this year but there really isn’t a reason for him to go back for his senior year and would signify a problem.

I’d be absolutely stunned if he went back for his senior year though.
If Mitchell doesn't sign next summer, then we need to ask him where he wants to play and perhaps try to salvage the situation. Until then, the Hawks should just sit tight. There's no reason to get nervous. There's still plenty of time.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That just wasnt going to happen. Nothing i saw of him at the World Juniors indicated he was near ready to be a full time NHL'er.
while you make a valid point, he can help by signing and probably go down to rfd to improve his game.

so by default he is helping the org esp in a different way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->