I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Also if AP isn't interested Justin Schultz could add some much needed poise and experience. 4.5 x 3 or 4.25 x 4 gets it done

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Until COVID came along I thought there was no chance AP would leave St. Louis. Now, I'm not so sure.

Yesterday, Ontario had 33 new COVID cases out of 21,000 tests in a population of 14 million. Missouri had a seven-day rolling average of more than 1,000 new cases in a population of 6 million, with no end in sight.

Not just anyone can come to Canada to escape COVID, but the Pietrangelo's can.

I had thought his wife and young family would absolutely keep AP in St. Louis but now I'm not so sure. I could just about imagine Mom and Dad bringing the kids to Toronto to be in a more healthy, safer place.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I would rather aim for someone younger using Marner as trade bait.

That works too...once upon a time before St. Louis' streak and Cup run, Parayko was probably available for Nylander. A suitor would be a couple of the teams that didn't make the playoffs and needs a retool...maybe Marner, Dermott and Johnsson for Forsberg, Watson and Ekholm.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Johnsson is an agitator himself, he had a poor season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebound. He isn't afraid to be gritty or get into the mix. The only thing he doesn't have is over whelming size.

Kapanen is also being more physical, and again a subpar season, he left more to be desired this playoff. Not a typical grinder but he does mix it up now and then.

I'm not super attached to these guys if an upgrade is there, I just think they're being overlooked as quality pieces a bit.
if i have to ship out Kerf/kappy/Aj for Pietra and run a 3rd line of Korsh/engvall/soup , i do it in a heart beat

convert the assets of kerf/kappy/Aj into a 2nd pair RHS d and i think we are now steaming in the right direction.

Goat with 2 nasty grit grinders on the 4th line and off to the races we go.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Until COVID came along I thought there was no chance AP would leave St. Louis. Now, I'm not so sure.

Yesterday, Ontario had 33 new COVID cases out of 21,000 tests in a population of 14 million. Missouri had a seven-day rolling average of more than 1,000 new cases in a population of 6 million, with no end in sight.

Not just anyone can come to Canada to escape COVID, but the Pietrangelo's can.

I had thought his wife and young family would absolutely keep AP in St. Louis but now I'm not so sure. I could just about imagine Mom and Dad bringing the kids to Toronto to be in a more healthy, safer place.
hey it's just not covid brother

the BLM riots in StLoo are off the chain and the riots are spreading to "gated community's and high end shopping areas"
and IF Trump gets elected again,,,i predict all hell will break lose in a place like StLoo 2x what it is now

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Leafs will have 7.5 after Barrie and Ceci walk; if one of the Big 4 moves out for someone cheaper I could see it.

Pietrangelo
Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Holl
Sandin
Liljegren
Marincin

Still thin but much better

Rielly///Pietra

Muzzy///TBD, or,Lehto??

Derm///Holl

sandin///lilly

sorry, i don't see the "thin"

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Ok I'll play.

Rielly + Kapanen + Ceci's rights for Adam Larsson+ Klefbom. Sign Alex Pitreganelo. Let Barrie walk.

Klefbom - Pitreganelo (elite top pair, Klefbom is better defensively then Rielly)
Muzzin - Larsson (another top shutdown pair)
Dermott - Holl (one of the better bottom pairs in the NHL)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
No it isn't. This is the problem; the team hasn't managed to win a playoff round yet, and people keep insisting they have to make decisions like they're a Cup contender. Decisions like this SHORTEN WINDOWS, and you'd think fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs of all teams would know that, considering both the Gilmour and the Sundin/Roberts/Nieuwendyk Leaf teams ended up being shortened by idiotic decisions like this.

I don't see where I said any of that. However, you're not signing a "stud 30 year old player", you're signing a guy who has been great so far, on the assumption that it would continue. And for every guy it works for, there are 5 or 6 guys who end up locked in on terrible contracts long term, leading to even MORE bad decisions. Again, you would think fans of the Leafs would f***ing know that, since we've lived it. Multiple times.

And trading multiple under 25 players to sign a 31 year old to a big contract? That's the shit that lead to our f***ing post-cap playoff drought...

Pieterangelo doesn't shorten our contention window, because as currently constructed, we don't have a contention window at all. We're clearly nowhere good enough.

What he does is actually open our contention window for the next 5 years - the years that Matthews is under contract and JT is still effective.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Pieterangelo doesn't shorten our contention window, because as currently constructed, we don't have a contention window at all. We're clearly nowhere good enough.

What he does is actually open our contention window for the next 5 years - the years that Matthews is under contract and JT is still effective.
AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Bravo!!!!!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs will have 7.5 after Barrie and Ceci walk; if one of the Big 4 moves out for someone cheaper I could see it.

Pietrangelo
Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Holl
Sandin
Liljegren
Marincin

Lol how is that thin. Thats a great D core.
Elite #1
Good #1
Great #2-3
Good #5
Good#4
2 kids with good potential

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Well played. Well played indeed.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
one injury to that top 3 and it's back to what one could reasonably call thin.

That's about 80% of teams. Ditto for forward lines, where you might have room for two injuries and you're in trouble. Injuries can't be predicted, not for the Habs when they lose Weber, not for the Leafs as we saw when Muzzin went down after a big win.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
AP should be good until he's 35/36.

I'm in if it can be done (unlikely is an understatement). I'm not attached to any of the bottom 6 , Ceci, Barrie, Dermott or Holl. Hyman can be shifted to third line. Not as a demotion but to ensure the third line is responsible.

Going to be a sleepless summer for Dubas. Lots of overhaul to take care of.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Pietrangelo
Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Holl
Sandin
Liljegren
Marincin

They might have 7.5 worth of players leaving, but they also have 4.5 worth of new contract extensions kicking in for Muzzin, Campbell, Holl, and Engvall. That leaves 3 to assign to Mikheyev and Dermott raises. Whatever is left will be pretty close to nothing.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You would think people realize Leafs need Defensive Dman and not offensive Dman by now.

As a quick fix, we couple of guys like Joel Edmundson, Justin Braun type on the low end to mix and match, the pairings and if we want a high end upgrade, it's at the Pietrangelo level. But could benefit from a two way, excellent puck manager like Hampus Lindholm also. But not really an offensive defenseman with work ethic, fear of physicality and details issues like Schultz.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As a quick fix, we couple of guys like Joel Edmundson, Justin Braun type on the low end to mix and match, the pairings and if we want a high end upgrade, it's at the Pietrangelo level. But could benefit from a two way, excellent puck manager like Hampus Lindholm also. But not really an offensive defenseman with work ethic, fear of physicality and details issues like Schultz.
Braun will be good and certainly fits the bill, he could also partner up with Dermott and be that vet presence for Dermott.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Yes and twice on sunday

i offer 9.5/10 per ,,x7 ,,,front loaded and full NMC

and then clear the needed cap space from a list of kerfoot/johnsson/Kappy/Marner/Nylander
GTFO with full NMC on long term deals for 30 year olds. Just such bad thinking. If that's the only way you can get him, don't get him.

Reactions: Ciao

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Tavares is 29 and his contract already looks very suspect. Pietrangelo is already 30 (almost 31). I don't think the Leafs will have fun navigating one 30+ player making 11 million long term, let alone adding another
No sire. Leafs already have so many expensive suckas and some even winnas so we won't be able to get anymore expensive over 30 year olds. You already knew it. :clap:
Our money is correct and we are the most richest club in the world, but our cap space is used already. So to answer more, if even a sucka like us would get rid of like nylander, barrie and kapanen, we still couldn't get pietrangelo. The problem wouldn't go away. Then we would have to also get some cheap sucka with him as a forward, and our money would be in the the sky again.

We going to go more with fools like Luke Schenn, Hjalmarsson, guys like that. Cheap dirt, who still play the D-game. And by D-game in by no means I use it to refer to drugs. It means defensive guy. Defensive game. Period.

We are getting cheap bodies. We are also sending some fools, losers away like Barrie och Kapanen. Getting back some bigger bodies, who Thug it out in the club. We need roarers like other WINNERS. Eye of the tiger WINNERS. Like Lucic, he prevailing, first line player been in the playoffs this time. Fighting, scoring. Winning, moving forward. Unlike us, stoppin and losing. Regular season team is us. Us is Dolls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad