I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Braun will be good and certainly fits the bill, he could also partner up with Dermott and be that vet presence for Dermott.
Braun is another guy who will get. He is ours and you already knew it sire because you know ice hockey period.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I didn't think Pietrangelo was the answer a couple of years ago, when he was available, and I think he's even less so now. A good defenceman, but not great, and, for the price, definitely not what we need.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
AJ and Dermott are likely traded to clear cap space and roster spots ...Kerfoot also fits in the trade bait category.
with the 3 of them out, that only frees up 7 and change
likely target is Tanev at a 6x5 deal (or Hamonic which the Leafs have tried to get a few times, and i personally wouldnt want), and 2-3 entry level fillers/longshots ala Spezza

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I didn't think Pietrangelo was the answer a couple of years ago, when he was available, and I think he's even less so now. A good defenceman, but not great, and, for the price, definitely not what we need.
Keep in mind it was a pairing of JBo and C Parayko that handled the opponents top lines for the Blues last year in their cup run. Would love if St. Louis could bring him back BUT they have already offered 66 million, 8.25 AAV on a 8 year deal.
Newport Sport Agency has made it quite clear he wants a contract that is at or above Josi's 72-73 million deal. On a 7 year deal that's going to come it at roughly 10.3 AAV. In addition its rumored he wants 35-40 million of that number in the first 4 years as a signing bonus and a full NMC for the term of his deal.

BUT, honestly for the Leafs style of play, he is exactly what is needed in Toronto. I posted in another thread that IMO the Leafs have the prospects and young players to be a great team, even if they moved out Nylander, AJ, Kap, and Kerfoot.

The issue of course is what is going to happen 3 - 4 years from now when these young players start hitting UFA eligibility?
10-11 million is an awfully lot to be paying a player 34-39 years old.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
No sire. Leafs already have so many expensive suckas and some even winnas so we won't be able to get anymore expensive over 30 year olds. You already knew it. :clap:
Our money is correct and we are the most richest club in the world, but our cap space is used already. So to answer more, if even a sucka like us would get rid of like nylander, barrie and kapanen, we still couldn't get pietrangelo. The problem wouldn't go away. Then we would have to also get some cheap sucka with him as a forward, and our money would be in the the sky again.

We going to go more with fools like Luke Schenn, Hjalmarsson, guys like that. Cheap dirt, who still play the D-game. And by D-game in by no means I use it to refer to drugs. It means defensive guy. Defensive game. Period.

We are getting cheap bodies. We are also sending some fools, losers away like Barrie och Kapanen. Getting back some bigger bodies, who Thug it out in the club. We need roarers like other WINNERS. Eye of the tiger WINNERS. Like Lucic, he prevailing, first line player been in the playoffs this time. Fighting, scoring. Winning, moving forward. Unlike us, stoppin and losing. Regular season team is us. Us is Dolls.

Honestly a playoffs with a healthy Muzzin and an addition like Hjalmarsson to go with a ready Sandin might just do it.

It's fun to fantasize about AP since we're hockey fans first, online scrub GMs second, but realistically he's not necessary nor affordable.

The problem however is teams aren't trading their Hjalmarssons right now.

Going to have to pass on the Schenns though.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
guys like Pietra have earned that
Totally irrelevant, but you seem to have missed the boat in every sport where it's no longer about paying for previous performance. a NTC for that long is a disastrous management decision for a player of that age.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Totally irrelevant, but you seem to have missed the boat in every sport where it's no longer about paying for previous performance. a NTC for that long is a disastrous management decision for a player of that age.
previous performance is called pedigree

he just lead his team to a cup win

NOW, if his "glory days" ended 3 years ago,,ya sure i hear you

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
previous performance is called pedigree

he just lead his team to a cup win

NOW, if his "glory days" ended 3 years ago,,ya sure i hear you
Right, he's still obviously a very good player...but that doesn't mean you (hypothetically) give a 30 year old a big contract for long term and full NMC, which is what the poster suggested and I think is mind blowingly short sighted. Limited NMC, sure.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Honestly a playoffs with a healthy Muzzin and an addition like Hjalmarsson to go with a ready Sandin might just do it.

It's fun to fantasize about AP since we're hockey fans first, online scrub GMs second, but realistically he's not necessary nor affordable.

The problem however is teams aren't trading their Hjalmarssons right now.

Going to have to pass on the Schenns though.
I'm bout that I'm bout that sire.
We need our thug on and still that rock heavy metal D. That hard stuff. Even Muzzin's not enough evidently. We gon be aaaaight next season. Winning aaahh so many during the reg.season. I would like to have a real intimidating sucka out there cause every other winner has that. Wilson Tommy, Lucic, Reaves Ryan with the sideshow Carrier. Lou's suckas Cluttrbuck Martin Komarov Cizikas etc. They some hard fools. Real hard nose. And look how further they going again sire. They much further than us. We ain't going there or moving thangs. They is. I just keep that gamebook and nothing changes. We cool like that. So sell our fools. Kapanen was no good, Barrie already gone he ain't never been here. Even some other fools. We having money next season. Gettin our goony goons. Goofy goons and dirt.

Reactions: Havoc

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Right, he's still obviously a very good player...but that doesn't mean you (hypothetically) give a 30 year old a big contract for long term and full NMC, which is what the poster suggested and I think is mind blowingly short sighted. Limited NMC, sure.
i don't care at all what happens in years 6/7 of his deal
JT has 4 years left,,Matty has just 4 ,,,,,WN 4 ,,,MM 5

get Pietra now( get a very solid to great 4/5 years) out of him and then see what happens.

in 4/5 years ,,,who knows, maybe all of those forwards are gone:dunno:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Keep in mind it was a pairing of JBo and C Parayko that handled the opponents top lines for the Blues last year in their cup run. Would love if St. Louis could bring him back BUT they have already offered 66 million, 8.25 AAV on a 8 year deal.
Newport Sport Agency has made it quite clear he wants a contract that is at or above Josi's 72-73 million deal. On a 7 year deal that's going to come it at roughly 10.3 AAV. In addition its rumored he wants 35-40 million of that number in the first 4 years as a signing bonus and a full NMC for the term of his deal.

BUT, honestly for the Leafs style of play, he is exactly what is needed in Toronto. I posted in another thread that IMO the Leafs have the prospects and young players to be a great team, even if they moved out Nylander, AJ, Kap, and Kerfoot.

The issue of course is what is going to happen 3 - 4 years from now when these young players start hitting UFA eligibility?
10-11 million is an awfully lot to be paying a player 34-39 years old.
JT/WN only have 4 years left Matty/MM 5

i say get AP now get 4/5 great to solid seasons out of him and then see what happens.

for all we know the 3 kids will ego price themselves out of town in 4/5 years,,hell they almost did it without getting anything done as it is.

I will take my chances with a Rielly/Pietro,,,,Muzz/Pietro top pair

Reactions: Leafsfan74

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
I believe people are forgetting about Pridhum the cap expert. The leafs might look for LTIR candidates from poorer teams. Kesler from Anaheim, Zetterberg from Detroit and possibly Seabrook from Chicago if he's done playing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
First, for those of you who like to work the abacus, is this possible with movement of players, or is this a pipe dream (realizing movement will occur)?

I stated earlier in a post that when Giordano was available as a free agent, a less talented team was in the blue and white and then, I believed we should have tried to get him. A #1 D man is vital for any team, and this one needs some men in the lineup. Get rid of any talent on the team not named Matthews or Muzzin to find space to get him, if you can. It's that simple.

Just as when a player like JT became a free agent, you have to go for it (I don't fault them, though I thought they were rushing the rebuild, his UFA timing, not theirs) if you can, the same has to be said for a guy like Alex. Just as a Matthews or JT can be a game changer, so can a #1 D man.

To me this is the guy who can solve many problems. When you have a #1 D man who can eat 24-25 minutes, along with Muzzin and Reilly (1A's), you have complete confidence from the forwards in playing their game, real depth in the backend and unshakable comfort, like a solid goalie. We are cornered due to the cap, I understand that, so there will be real movement and a reliance of development (i.e Robertson).

Yes, Leafs didn't score this series, I expected it to be a problem against CBJ, obviously there will be some changes up front, they will be support roles, secondary "battling" (and keeping the other team off the scoreboard). There will be some subtraction but a very vital addition. To me, this would be my primary Plan A if feasible. Now, they have their answer about this group in it's current incarnation, it's time to rework the lineup, not rebuild.

Thoughts?
Byfuglien might be available at a cheaper price

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
What about signing Sami Vatanen? Nobody has talked about it that I saw on here but he's cheaper and a RHD.
if we want a cheaper RHD Demelo ...but, we need someone that can play vs top lines, not filler.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If your solution to the Leafs current predicament, is signing a 30 year old to a mammoth contract.....
30 years old STUD RHSD that just lead his team to the cup

you mean that guy?? umm hell yes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If your solution to the Leafs current predicament, is signing a 30 year old to a mammoth contract.....

You mean a top 10 defenseman in the league that has recently captained his team to a Stanley Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad