I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
First, for those of you who like to work the abacus, is this possible with movement of players, or is this a pipe dream (realizing movement will occur)?

I stated earlier in a post that when Giordano was available as a free agent, a less talented team was in the blue and white and then, I believed we should have tried to get him. A #1 D man is vital for any team, and this one needs some men in the lineup. Get rid of any talent on the team not named Matthews or Muzzin to find space to get him, if you can. It's that simple.

Just as when a player like JT became a free agent, you have to go for it (I don't fault them, though I thought they were rushing the rebuild, his UFA timing, not theirs) if you can, the same has to be said for a guy like Alex. Just as a Matthews or JT can be a game changer, so can a #1 D man.

To me this is the guy who can solve many problems. When you have a #1 D man who can eat 24-25 minutes, along with Muzzin and Reilly (1A's), you have complete confidence from the forwards in playing their game, real depth in the backend and unshakable comfort, like a solid goalie. We are cornered due to the cap, I understand that, so there will be real movement and a reliance of development (i.e Robertson).

Yes, Leafs didn't score this series, I expected it to be a problem against CBJ, obviously there will be some changes up front, they will be support roles, secondary "battling" (and keeping the other team off the scoreboard). There will be some subtraction but a very vital addition. To me, this would be my primary Plan A if feasible. Now, they have their answer about this group in it's current incarnation, it's time to rework the lineup, not rebuild.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's certainly an interesting situation in STL with Pietrangelo, Parayko and Faulk where it looks like something has to give. He would be a great add, though unfortunately the fit wouldn't be an easy one due to the cap. I wonder if the early season exit negatively affects our chances at all though?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Tavares is 29 and his contract already looks very suspect. Pietrangelo is already 30 (almost 31). I don't think the Leafs will have fun navigating one 30+ player making 11 million long term, let alone adding another
D men peak in their 30s.

I'd trade a big contract, eat some, take back depth to make it happen.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's certainly an interesting situation in STL with Pietrangelo, Parayko and Faulk where it looks like something has to give. He would be a great add, though unfortunately the fit wouldn't be an easy one due to the cap. I wonder if the early season exit negatively affects our chances at all though?

I think our biggest challenge would be any loyalty, if any, to the Blues. Every player knows what potential we have. Many want to be on a S.C team in TO.

I don't know his mindset, but I stand by my comment that I would trade anyone save Matthews/Muzzin to make the room.

Reactions: ER89 and Buds17

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Going to be really hard as a team need to take Marner and only trade picks and prospects without sending salary back.
The only team I think might consider is the Ducks as they have Kesler on LTIR and since those are dead cap space and Marner’s real salary is 7.5mil. But I doubt Ducks is willing to part with at least 2 first rounders and someone like Comotis to make it work.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think our biggest challenge would be any loyalty, if any, to the Blues. Every player knows what potential we have. Many want to be on a S.C team in TO.

I don't know his mindset, but I stand by my comment that I would trade anyone save Matthews/Muzzin to make the room.

The interesting thing about STL to me is that RD didn't seem to be their biggest need prior to the trade and new contract for Faulk. Tavares apparently turned down more money and better teams at the time to sign with the Leafs. We'll have to see if Pietrangelo feels the same way. The cap situation makes things challenging. However, there are ways if the mutual interest is there.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
The concern with moving Marner for Futures and Signing Pietrangelo comes down to our window being shortened significantly. I'd look to move Marner/Willy for younger, yet established options.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It's doable.

Move Nylander and one of Kapanen/Johnsson (preferably Kap) and there's enough space for Pietrangelo.

Where it gets tricky is filling out the forward corps. I wonder if Corey Perry and Joe Thornton would take league minimum to play bottom-6. I'm also assuming Robertson will crack the roster next season.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
First, for those of you who like to work the abacus, is this possible with movement of players, or is this a pipe dream (realizing movement will occur)?

I stated earlier in a post that when Giordano was available as a free agent, a less talented team was in the blue and white and then, I believed we should have tried to get him. A #1 D man is vital for any team, and this one needs some men in the lineup. Get rid of any talent on the team not named Matthews or Muzzin to find space to get him, if you can. It's that simple.

Just as when a player like JT became a free agent, you have to go for it (I don't fault them, though I thought they were rushing the rebuild, his UFA timing, not theirs) if you can, the same has to be said for a guy like Alex. Just as a Matthews or JT can be a game changer, so can a #1 D man.

To me this is the guy who can solve many problems. When you have a #1 D man who can eat 24-25 minutes, along with Muzzin and Reilly (1A's), you have complete confidence from the forwards in playing their game, real depth in the backend and unshakable comfort, like a solid goalie. We are cornered due to the cap, I understand that, so there will be real movement and a reliance of development (i.e Robertson).

Yes, Leafs didn't score this series, I expected it to be a problem against CBJ, obviously there will be some changes up front, they will be support roles, secondary "battling" (and keeping the other team off the scoreboard). There will be some subtraction but a very vital addition. To me, this would be my primary Plan A if feasible. Now, they have their answer about this group in it's current incarnation, it's time to rework the lineup, not rebuild.

Thoughts?
Yes and twice on sunday

i offer 9.5/10 per ,,x7 ,,,front loaded and full NMC

and then clear the needed cap space from a list of kerfoot/johnsson/Kappy/Marner/Nylander

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's a tough decision.

The guy is about as good as it gets as a #1 defenseman but age is going to play a role. He would likely be world-class for 3-4 years and then begin dropping off slightly.

If you can get him for 6 years then it becomes worth it.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
How much does he go for? I've heard many different numbers. Anywhere from 8.5-11m a year. He would change everything for the better, but what is the figure?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's doable.

Move Nylander and one of Kapanen/Johnsson (preferably Kap) and there's enough space for Pietrangelo.

Where it gets tricky is filling out the forward corps. I wonder if Corey Perry and Joe Thornton would take league minimum to play bottom-6. I'm also assuming Robertson will crack the roster next season.

Filling out bottom 6 an issue?

4th line Korshkov/Goat/Barabanov = 2.5m cap

3rd line soup/engvall/Kappy =4.5m cap

leaving,,, hyman/roberts/Matty/JT in the top 6 and who ever survives that cap purge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad