Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
So Koskinen is equal to Gibson. Got it.

Who knows at this point. But everyone always says the Oilers D stinks yet Koskinens stats are as good or better than Gibson. Im not defending Koskinen, Im saying people seem to be overrating Gibson based on what he did 3 or more years ago

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
This would be a good reason to put off the decision, assuming Gibson is available. A dip in the numbers can be the result of the team playing poorly in front of him. But, if Anaheim says that they are putting him up for sale, then scout him now during the season and make a judgment call about how good his numbers would be on the Oilers.

The ask is way to much right now from Anaheim fans. I have seen the ask as a 1st and Holloway/Broberg plus extra to take on Koskinen. This is a double dip and won't happen. Money in/out deals happen all the time with no visible surcharge, especially on players in their last year of their contract. I would do Lavoi and a 1st or Holloway and a 2nd but not the deal listed and I wouldn't move Broberg in any deal right now given the rest of our left side. Koskinen goes with those players either way. Anaheim fans will balk, but let them, we are close to breaking through to the next level and we will need our youth to go fill lower slots in the cap structure, so we want to make sure those players are difference makers. Trading two high end assets to get rid of one year of Koskinen and upgrade to Gibson is not worth it. I have flip flopped on this lately and in the end I see other teams solving goaltender issues a lot cheaper than this. Every time a goalie is traded for a first I think about the Martin Jones deal.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
When was this reported. Last I heard no one knows.

The oilers offered something 3.2 and only came up when the Kracken offered 3.9.. larsson had one foot out the door due to other reasons but the contract ploy the oilers used to try and get him to take a hometown discount was the final straw. Baghdad Bob keeps saying that the oilers final offer was the same as Seattle. Only a few asked, if that was their final offer, what were the other offers?

Reactions: bernmeister

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Unless Im mistaken Gibson is coming off 2 sub par seasons in a row.Not one bad year or a bad stretch. 2 years. Im just not that convinced he is the answer at this point.

Watch the games dude.

Gibson started the last 2 seasons completely carrying the Ducks. The Ducks didnt win a game scoring more then 3 goals until March 6th. I think their first 6 wins were either shutouts or 2-1. He is the only reason the won a game for the first 2 months. Noone can blame him for not standing on his head for the worst team in the NHL every single night.

No Ducks fans want to trade him. That should be a sign that he is not only not the problem, but easily one of the Ducks best players along with Lindholm.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Klefbom retirement probably had something to do with Larson saying f*** it.
Klef officially retired? Thought he was LTIR

Koskinen, a mid level prospect (Lavoie or Berglund) and EDMs 2nd rounder (deferred to 2023 if Keiths conditions were to come to fruition) for Georgiev and Gauthier

Georgiev/Gauthier for Kostinen and what?

No on moving Gauthier

mark my words
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
would be an killer line if/when Rangers are smart enuf to try it.

Although Geo and small + = late 1st, want to move on from surplus
so
Geo + Kinkaid + Rooney + three 3rds 2022, 2023, 2024
for
three 2nds 2022, 2023, 2024

Oil get options in net and can sell the leftovers to Sabes or whoever needs a body in net.

Rooney is not a burner but he is intelligent 2 way and helps w/team speed, an F who can C.

Rangers will upgrade their picks and play Huska, see what he has.
We have further backup options if nec.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The oilers offered something 3.2 and only came up when the Kracken offered 3.9.. larsson had one foot out the door due to other reasons but the contract ploy the oilers used to try and get him to take a hometown discount was the final straw. Baghdad Bob keeps saying that the oilers final offer was the same as Seattle. Only a few asked, if that was their final offer, what were the other offers?
I don't think the negotiations had any bearing on him leaving. It has been pretty well speculated why he left. Nothing confirmed, but his father passed away unexpectedly in Edmonton, and rumour is his mother wouldn't come visit him in Edmonton afterwards. If that is the case, the only reason to stay would be for an overpayment, and I'm glad Holland didn't offer him a raise, as he wasn't worth a raise in 3 of the previous 4 seasons. It was last summer that most Oiler fans were counting his cap hit as cap space we would have, because nobody expected he would come back because he would need to take a pay cut to be worth his contract. He returned to the form he showed earlier in his career last season, so all of a sudden everyone thinks he Larsson is a major loss.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The ask is way to much right now from Anaheim fans. I have seen the ask as a 1st and Holloway/Broberg plus extra to take on Koskinen. This is a double dip and won't happen. Money in/out deals happen all the time with no visible surcharge, especially on players in their last year of their contract. I would do Lavoi and a 1st or Holloway and a 2nd but not the deal listed and I wouldn't move Broberg in any deal right now given the rest of our left side. Koskinen goes with those players either way. Anaheim fans will balk, but let them, we are close to breaking through to the next level and we will need our youth to go fill lower slots in the cap structure, so we want to make sure those players are difference makers. Trading two high end assets to get rid of one year of Koskinen and upgrade to Gibson is not worth it. I have flip flopped on this lately and in the end I see other teams solving goaltender issues a lot cheaper than this. Every time a goalie is traded for a first I think about the Martin Jones deal.
I dont think that ask is so bad if Gibson is a great starting goalie. I believe he is. But if you believe there is uncertainty then you shouldnt want him no matter how cheap the trade cost is. He is a sizable cap hit

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I can’t see why the Ducks would send Gibson to a division rival if they believed him to be an elite top 5 goalie. Even if the Oilers are offering the best deal I’d wager they’d rather send him out of the division for a deal that brings back slightly less value.

I don’t think Holland has any desire to trade for a goalie at the moment, maybe if a guy hits waivers who they feel could help they’d pick him up if they had the chance since Stalock isn’t an option any longer. Otherwise I think he wants to see this tandem behind this years roster for a bit and maybe see how Skinner and Konovalov look.

Wouldn’t expect a big splash in the Oilers crease until January at least.

Reactions: Mr Positive

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can’t see why the Ducks would send Gibson to a division rival if they believed him to be an elite top 5 goalie. Even if the Oilers are offering the best deal I’d wager they’d rather send him out of the division for a deal that brings back slightly less value.

I don’t think Holland has any desire to trade for a goalie at the moment, maybe if a guy hits waivers who they feel could help they’d pick him up if they had the chance since Stalock isn’t an option any longer. Otherwise I think he wants to see this tandem behind this years roster for a bit and maybe see how Skinner and Konovalov look.

Wouldn’t expect a big splash in the Oilers crease until January at least.
I think you're right. I think if a deal fell into his lap he would jump at it, but I also think that he isn't beating the bushes too hard at the moment. I expect a waiver wire pickup if he doesn't feel that Konovlov is ready.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I think you're right. I think if a deal fell into his lap he would jump at it, but I also think that he isn't beating the bushes too hard at the moment. I expect a waiver wire pickup if he doesn't feel that Konovlov is ready.

There are always a few goalies on waivers every season. Too bad the Oilers waiver wire position sucks.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There are always a few goalies on waivers every season. Too bad the Oilers waiver wire position sucks.
It does, but in most years, goalies slip through waivers. Last year, with the taxi squad, teams were using that to grab an extra, but that isn't around this year. Unless teams are planning to hold 3 goalies on their roster (and they might have to given border crossing scenarios), we should be able to get one shaken loose.

Reactions: Pointteen

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It does, but in most years, goalies slip through waivers. Last year, with the taxi squad, teams were using that to grab an extra, but that isn't around this year. Unless teams are planning to hold 3 goalies on their roster (and they might have to given border crossing scenarios), we should be able to get one shaken loose.
I heard yesterday that there might be a taxi squad roster for goalies still to come. Not sure if it will happen or not.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
A tandem of Koskinen/Smith. Yikes. Another year of McDavid wasted.

Also lmao @ Oilers fan saying no to a deal where they get a beast in Gibson and get rid of Koskinen (who has negative value), for a 1st and a prospect?
First of all, Anaheim says no. Secondly, ever heard of the Penguins? They've traded their 1st seemingly every year and they have 3 cups to show for it. Oilers are in a weak division and the window to win is now. Yet their fans want to nickle and dime on a trade that would get them a legit starter. Wow.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Also lmao @ Oilers fan saying no to a deal where they get a beast in Gibson and get rid of Koskinen (who has negative value), for a 1st and a prospect?
First of all, Anaheim says no. Secondly, ever heard of the Penguins? They've traded their 1st seemingly every year and they have 3 cups to show for it. Oilers are in a weak division and the window to win is now. Yet their fans want to nickle and dime on a trade that would get them a legit starter. Wow.

Isn't Pittsburgh the poster boys of why you don't give up big value for a goalie?

They had a first overall goalie who cost them in the playoffs as often as he helped them.

Then he lost the job to an out of nowhere goalie that had a good couple of seasons then faded out.

Unless you are getting a Henrik Lundqvist in trade it doesn't make sense to sell the farm for goaltending.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

I hope so. How the beginning of last year played out was extremely frustrating

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Isn't Pittsburgh the poster boys of why you don't give up big value for a goalie?

They had a first overall goalie who cost them in the playoffs as often as he helped them.

Then he lost the job to an out of nowhere goalie that had a good couple of seasons then faded out.

Unless you are getting a Henrik Lundqvist in trade it doesn't make sense to sell the farm for goaltending.
Then why didnt they pick Wallstedt?

The hypothetical goalie picks we are talking about wouldnt be ready for the McDavid window. Should've thought about it before, now the only way to boost the goalie position is to acquire via UFA/trade. You can draft goalies of course, it's always good to keep the cupboards full, but they'll have no impact whatsoever on the present and the Oilers need to become contenders asap.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

First of all, the window has just opened for Edmonton. We have the entire season to find a starting goalie. Smith was great last year, and Koskinen was okay for 2 of the past 3 years. It isn't the end of the world to need to start with those two, but you are correct, we need to find a longer term solution. I suspect, based off of Ken Holland's interviews, that he thinks we may have a gem in Konovlov, but wants to see a bit more of him.

As per Gibson, most Oiler fans aren't saying no to the Gibson deals. We are negotiating which prospect would work. Some Ducks fans said no, some said the value might be there but they don't think Gibson is being traded.

As per Koskinen, the negative value isn't as overblown as many on HF seem to think. He has one year left, and if he plays as well as 2 years ago, he's overpaid, but a good 1B goalie for teams to close out the season with.

How many of those 1st did Pittsburgh trade for a goalie? We've offered up our 1st in discussions already, what else do you want here? Are you thinking we should be offering the next few years' 1st round picks for Gibson? What in this discussion makes you think we aren't wanting to trade a 1st?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad