Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Koskinen is not nhl starter quality that has been evident for longtime and calling him the best khl goalie is just not true

Was it evident one season ago when he had 0.917 over 38 games? And people here saying he can't even be a backup.

Look the situation is far from ideal, but neither is it as bad as people are making it out to be (or 'would wish it to be').

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Plenty of your fellow Oiler fans as well as media insiders were convinced that a deal was done and they were waiting until after expansion. But apparently you are the expert.

Is Holland an expert on the matter?

He flat out said that:
  • Larsson insisted on testing the market
  • Holland reluctantly permitted it and then increased his offer to match
  • It wasn't enough
  • Keith trade was done before the expansion draft FOR REASONS, which most logical people would surmise that i) Holland knew Larsson was not a done deal, ii) Holland knew that Keith was also ok with Seattle (so as to be closer to his son) and Chicago was willing to play ball with Seattle (also reported).

The final speculative bullet aside, it's clear to see that Larsson was not within Holland's control... the ball was in Larsson's court.

The speculative bullet further implies that the Larsson situation influenced the Keith trade and not the other way around.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The final speculative bullet aside, it's clear to see that Larsson was not within Holland's control... the ball was in Larsson's court.

The speculative bullet further implies that the Larsson situation influenced the Keith trade and not the other way around.

I fully empathize with Holland on this one. It's not so easy being GM of a team where a lot of players don't want to be.

I just wouldn't think to link Larsson and Keith though, just because they're like polar opposites in terms of what they provide to the team. Larsson is all defense and Keith all offense. The Oilers D looks worse to me without Larsson, I didn't think Keith is what they needed.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I fully empathize with Holland on this one. It's not so easy being GM of a team where a lot of players don't want to be.

I just wouldn't think to link Larsson and Keith though, just because they're like polar opposites in terms of what they provide to the team. Larsson is all defense and Keith all offense. The Oilers D looks worse to me without Larsson, I didn't think Keith is what they needed.
You think Keith is all offense?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm not going to try to find that interview so I'll trust that he said exactly what you say. Regardless, GM's have a way of sugar coating things after the fact to make it look like they did the best job possible.

It is also true that GMs are privy to a lot more of the ins and outs of what was actually happening behind the scenes.

Larsson is also on record saying he got an equivalent offer from Edmonton. And yet he left. And the media reported all along it was going to be $4M AAV, so that holds water too.

I take your point... rationalizing a management failure is something people do, arguably it's a skill... but in this case I really do think that Larsson, for reasons unknown, decided he wanted a fresh start.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lol, seems like a easy click-bait for Fried. We have no cap space, so who are we trading for this goalie? If it didn't happen in FA, fat chance now. It's the same 2 dudes, or an internal replacement like Kono.

"That ship...was it the Kono, or the Kristol?"

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Agree with that... I'm sure when Holland inked Keith he was hoping (perhaps hoping against hope at that point) he would be paired with Larsson... it could have been a great lefty-righty match made in heaven.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lol, seems like a easy click-bait for Fried. We have no cap space, so who are we trading for this goalie? If it didn't happen in FA, fat chance now. It's the same 2 dudes, or an internal replacement like Kono.

I believe it's pronounced Kon-Valov.

You have an extra "o" in there:thumbu:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Koskinen, duh.

I think the most likely time for a goalie trade will be mid-season to deadline. The Oilers can get by until then but will be looking to upgrade for the playoffs.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Koskinen, duh.

I think the most likely time for a goalie trade will be mid-season to deadline. The Oilers can get by until then but will be looking to upgrade for the playoffs.

So why does this need to be in his podcast now, instead of 20 weeks from now in midseason or near the deadline. Its pretty useless information to just say "yep EDM isn't done in goal... 3+ months from now something will happen."

I cant see anything happening in the immediate future, agreed on Kosk because it's 4.5 of cap no one wants right now. Even mid season I doubt anyone wants that. We don't have a second to package with him at the deadline and Holland has serious aversions to trading 1sts. Especially with next year being a "deep" draft.

I really don't see us being able to move him at the deadline TBH, but we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless this seems really premature and click baity, was my only point.

I believe it's pronounced Kon-Valov.

You have an extra "o" in there:thumbu:

Just going off the spelling because I wanted to quote Lord of War. ;)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Friedmann (and several others) lost their minds and their credibility over the Eichel situation. This is just a continuation of their newfound nonsense. Gotta stay relevant on Twitter...

Reactions: North Cole

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Was it evident one season ago when he had 0.917 over 38 games? And people here saying he can't even be a backup.

Look the situation is far from ideal, but neither is it as bad as people are making it out to be (or 'would wish it to be').
This is the 3rd pre season in a row I’ve read on this board “The Oilers goaltending isn’t good enough, it’s going to hold them back”, when in back to back seasons they’ve finished 2nd in their division, with Smith being the only reason they stayed close in the playoffs last year.

Obviously the situation, like you said, isn’t ideal, you’d love to have a bonafide, young, #1. But that player isn’t readily available, and the Oilers aren’t going to sell the farm for a maybe.

They have some intriguing prospects in Skinner and Konovalov. I’d be willing to bet at this point they exhaust those options before having to lose a valuable asset.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Korpisalo isn't better than Koskinen.

Why would the Oilers give anything up for a lateral move?
This

We likely have a trade asset budget for this to happen. We cant give up assets for Korpisalo and then lose even more value at the deadline if Korpisalo doesnt work out, chasing another guy. It seems better to make this trade once, and the deadline makes the most sense.

Also we can make a trade any time before the deadline. If Smith-Koskinen fail, we can make a trade in the first month if we need to. Heck, could there be an interesting waiver candidate by then?

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Korpisalo isn't better than Koskinen.

Why would the Oilers give anything up for a lateral move?

THIS!

I will keep saying this until someone shows me why Korpisalo is a better option than Koskinen... talent wise... I realize Korpisalo is a bit younger and cheaper, but we are not adding anything significant for that lateral talent move especially when we likely would not make any use of that cap space. Also, it's not like Korpisalo is going to develop any further than he has already shown.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
And that’s fine I’m really not for moving him unless we’re getting a 1st + top 3 prospect(pending org) + replacement filler goalie

for reference kuemper for 1 year (at 31) got

1st + timmins + conditional 3rd(granted I think the conditions are very big), with no cap dump

Unless Im mistaken Gibson is coming off 2 sub par seasons in a row.Not one bad year or a bad stretch. 2 years. Im just not that convinced he is the answer at this point.

Reactions: nturn06

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless Im mistaken Gibson is coming off 2 sub par seasons in a row.Not one bad year or a bad stretch. 2 years. Im just not that convinced he is the answer at this point.
This would be a good reason to put off the decision, assuming Gibson is available. A dip in the numbers can be the result of the team playing poorly in front of him. But, if Anaheim says that they are putting him up for sale, then scout him now during the season and make a judgment call about how good his numbers would be on the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad