Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Koskinen would have to go the other way and I don't see Dallas taking him on. They need cap space as much as anyone and have too many goalies as it is.

But Bishop does make a lot of sense, if he is actually healthy? His cap hit is only $4.9M for the next two years, so if we can shed Koskinen, Bishop only adds $400K, which is still within our LTIR allowance.

The question is how much all of this would cost from an asset perspective.

Assuming one year of Koskinen's $4.5M costs a 2nd or B+ prospect...

What does it take to acquire Bishop? Anyone have a sense? It's tough to gauge for me given Khudobin, Holtby (I'd missed that), Oettinger.... they have to do something, that's for sure. I'm assuming Khudobin/Holtby/Bishop would all have to pass through waivers, right? That has to bring the price down quite a bit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
But Bishop does make a lot of sense, if he is actually healthy? His cap hit is only $4.9M for the next two years, so if we can shed Koskinen, Bishop only adds $400K, which is still within our LTIR allowance.

The question is how much all of this would cost from an asset perspective.

Assuming one year of Koskinen's $4.5M costs a 2nd or B+ prospect...

What does it take to acquire Bishop? Anyone have a sense? It's tough to gauge for me given Khudobin, Holtby (I'd missed that), Oettinger.... they have to do something, that's for sure. I'm assuming Khudobin/Holtby/Bishop would all have to pass through waivers, right? That has to bring the price down quite a bit.

There's a lot of what ifs to properly gauge Bishop's value IMO, but assuming Dallas plays up to their potential and are making the playoffs, it would be a pretty big overpayment since he's the best (if healthy) out of Bishop/Khudobin/Oettinger/Holtby. Holtby would most likely be the odd-man out if Bishop comes back this season, then they'd re-evaluate next camp and trade one of Bishop/Khudobin.

Now if Dallas is firmly out of the playoffs when Bishop comes back, i'd imagine he'd be significantly cheaper. But I don't think a 2nd or B+ prospect would cut it if they're in a playoff race.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
There's a lot of what ifs to properly gauge Bishop's value IMO, but assuming Dallas plays up to their potential and are making the playoffs, it would be a pretty big overpayment since he's the best (if healthy) out of Bishop/Khudobin/Oettinger/Holtby. Holtby would most likely be the odd-man out if Bishop comes back this season, then they'd re-evaluate next camp and trade one of Bishop/Khudobin.

Now if Dallas is firmly out of the playoffs when Bishop comes back, i'd imagine he'd be significantly cheaper. But I don't think a 2nd or B+ prospect would cut it if they're in a playoff race.

I don't see anyone making any kind of big overpayment for Bishop.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Cool. So who do they waive?

Holtby, but I doubt it'll come to that. Chances are by the time Bishop is healthy other teams will have injuries and will be willing to pay something for Holtby, even if it’s minimal.

You do realize that Bishop isn’t healthy right now.. right? Either that or you like to ask questions that have very straightforward answers.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Holtby, but I doubt it'll come to that. Chances are by the time Bishop is healthy other teams will have injuries and will be willing to pay something for Holtby, even if it’s minimal.

You do realize that Bishop isn’t healthy right now.. right? Either that or you like to ask questions that have very straightforward answers.

Yeah, I am aware. You can skip the sarcastic reply next time.

Edit: You are the only who doesn't seem to understand the situation. I'll clarify. The Oilers have a couple of young goaltenders coming up their development pipeline. If the Oilers have a significant injury in goal they'd tap one of them to be called up and play NHL minutes. They're not going to make an overpay for a goalie like Bishop, as you seem to think is the requirement to move him.

IF however there were a chance they could move Koskinen and get a better goalie back I am sure Holland would do it. That is the gist of this thread.

Dallas on the other hand have three goaltenders and when Bishop is healthy they'll have to move one. That isn't something another team will over pay for. Simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarvisFunk

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't see anyone making any kind of big overpayment for Bishop.

Cool. So who do they waive?

Edit: You are the only who doesn't seem to understand the situation. I'll clarify. The Oilers have a couple of young goaltenders coming up their development pipeline. If the Oilers have a significant injury in goal they'd tap one of them to be called up and play NHL minutes. They're not going to make an overpay for a goalie like Bishop, as you seem to think is the requirement to move him.

IF however there were a chance they could move Koskinen and get a better goalie back I am sure Holland would do it. That is the gist of this thread.

Dallas on the other hand have three goaltenders and when Bishop is healthy they'll have to move one. That isn't something another team will over pay for. Simple.

I appreciate how you made generalized statements saying nobody would overpay and only talked about Dallas’ situation regarding waiving goalies and whatnot, but now it’s specific to the Oilers. The point was that Dallas is competing for the playoffs, chances are they aren’t letting Bishop go for a 2nd. When/if Bishop comes back, the Oilers could probably have Holtby for a mid/late pick.

If you actually go back and read (I know, I know, so much work), you’d know I was replying to a different Oilers fan who asked what the cost of Bishop would be. I was not saying Edmonton was going to overpay, simply what the cost of Bishop was.

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This may be the simplest one of all. If the Oilers ares seroius and want to win now ( which they should) Gibson is the only clear chocie here .
Its will cost a ransom but its the only way

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This may be the simplest one of all. If the Oilers ares seroius and want to win now ( which they should) Gibson is the only clear chocie here .
It certainly seems to be the most obvious way. I'm not sure if its really even an option though, he does have a partial NTC I think. For all the chatter about Gibson wanting out of Anaheim, that doesn't mean he will want to come to Edmonton.

I still think we end up with Korpisalo and not being any better off for it.

Reactions: TFHockey

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Konovalov has some pretty decent KHL stats, he’s played well in preseason, maybe he’ll end up being a sneaky fix for them this season and beyond. Stranger things have happened.

Reactions: banks

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
If he was available I would think he would have been traded by now to help the tank

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

2 part:
1. what do you offer for Georgiev who is cheaper at 2.425 also has rfa rights
and
2. what do you offer to take expiring Koskinen off your hands?

Rangers have Shesty starting
can afford to buy out Kosk if nec

but need a reason...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
2 part:
and

but need a reason...
1. Not much. Georgiev isn't much better. If he is better at all.
2. Not much. It's an expiring deal.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I appreciate how you made generalized statements saying nobody would overpay and only talked about Dallas’ situation regarding waiving goalies and whatnot, but now it’s specific to the Oilers. The point was that Dallas is competing for the playoffs, chances are they aren’t letting Bishop go for a 2nd. When/if Bishop comes back, the Oilers could probably have Holtby for a mid/late pick.

If you actually go back and read (I know, I know, so much work), you’d know I was replying to a different Oilers fan who asked what the cost of Bishop would be. I was not saying Edmonton was going to overpay, simply what the cost of Bishop was.

You're right. I should have been specific, it is extremely unlikely the Oilers would overpay for Bishop. Other teams? I dunno. Maybe?

This thread is specific to the Oilers. If you want a more generalized thread, start one about the value of Bishop.

More sarcasm.

I don't think you know what the cost of acquiring Bishop actually will be. No one on here does. HF is chock full of statements like "it'll take an overpayment" and other such hyperbole. One thing that has been demonstrated over and over again; fans on this site have no clue how to value players. Almost nobody ever gets it right.

As for the Oilers and more to the point of this thread, a top tier goalie like Gibson would be hard to pry from a divisional rival like Anaheim. I don't see them doing the Oilers any favors and the likelihood he'd even want to come to Edmonton seems low unless they make some noise in the playoffs this year. Make it to the 3rd round? Some players might change their minds about playing here.

Until then it is pretty hard for Alberta to compete with California in terms of attracting talent.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
2 part:
and

but need a reason...
Barring a long term injury to one of Smith or Koski I don't see any reason to dump assets on a goalie until at least Christmas/New Year. Koski has had a pretty decent pre season so far and if he's able to provide adequate numbers then there's really no need to trade him. Instead you just hope they don't re-sign him if he does.

Who knows how short of a leash there is on the goaltending front. If he posts a couple of bad games right near the start the fanbase will be frothing at the mouth to dump whatever they can to upgrade, but unless it's a clear cut upgrade I don't know how much value I'd want to attach to move him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
2 part:
and

but need a reason...

Hi Bern,

I don't see Georgiev as a significant improvement over Koskinen other than his contract. If Kosk does gets moved I am betting it will be at the trade deadline and as such his expiring contract isn't the burden it would normally be.

Now if you want to talk about moving Shesterkin in a deal any fan (or GM) would a fool not to listen. Of course, you probably wouldn't and I don't blame you :nod:

Reactions: bernmeister

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
3 Way Trade

To Edm: Blackwood
To NJ: Gibson
To Ana: Mukhamadullin, Holloway Kosknen 75% retained (50 by Edm, 25 by NJ) 1st (Edm)

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
It certainly seems to be the most obvious way. I'm not sure if its really even an option though, he does have a partial NTC I think. For all the chatter about Gibson wanting out of Anaheim, that doesn't mean he will want to come to Edmonton.

I still think we end up with Korpisalo and not being any better off for it.
Agreed but I can see Gibson goimg to the Oilers or penguins( his hometown) .

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If he was available I would think he would have been traded by now to help the tank
The ducks will play this out in hopes their young talent takes a BIG step quicker than expected. If not expect them to shop Gibson.
Again as I said it would take a massive overpayment but he would be available

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hi Bern,

I don't see Georgiev as a significant improvement over Koskinen other than his contract. If Kosk does gets moved I am betting it will be at the trade deadline and as such his expiring contract isn't the burden it would normally be.

Now if you want to talk about moving Shesterkin in a deal any fan (or GM) would a fool not to listen. Of course, you probably wouldn't and I don't blame you :nod:

Hi HTF
As to moving Shesty :nod::nod:
while is mathematically possible Rangers could gamble on moving him for instane return and be ok w/Wall + going forward, that's not gonna happen this yr.

Geo is hot and cold.
Stonewalls powerhouse like Leafs one night, gets killed same team another game.

Not saying Kosk is/is not better.
My feeling is he is, tho not a big whoop even if so.
He is instant cap savings.

Howev, while there is no critical urgency, we are not doing anybody any favors and holding Geo.
Our interests are best served by recovering the cap for a decent return and graduating a G prospect.

Give me 2 2nds for 2 4ths and I'll do the swap + eat the larger cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad