Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They can't really trade anyone up front or on the backend, plus their prospect pool is pretty mediocre.

Are they going to try to flip Koskinen + pick for a better goalie? Their 2nd is encumbered, and I don't think they should be giving up a first.

Reactions: Ainsy01

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
They can't really trade anyone up front or on the backend, plus their prospect pool is pretty mediocre.

Are they going to try to flip Koskinen + pick for a better goalie? Their 2nd is encumbered, and I don't think they should be giving up a first.

Depending on the goalie with Koskinen attached without retention it could be on the market. It's hard to say. We don't have 2nd's so we don't have another needed pick to even entertain that.

Maybe Joonas Korpisalo will be the target after Elvis signed that 5 year deal. The other option is probably Georgiev

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Depending on the goalie with Koskinen attached without retention it could be on the market. It's hard to say. We don't have 2nd's so we don't have another needed pick to even entertain that.

Maybe Joonas Korpisalo will be the target after Elvis signed that 5 year deal.
If not Korpisalo, maybe Georgiev?

Wasn't he on the market earlier in the offseason?

IDK, someone of that ilk, not worth a 1st on their own, but maybe a 2nd + a little extra for taking on the extra cap hit of Koskinen?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If not Korpisalo, maybe Georgiev?

Wasn't he on the market earlier in the offseason?

IDK, someone of that ilk, not worth a 1st on their own, but maybe a 2nd + a little extra for taking on the extra cap hit of Koskinen?

I was just editing that when you replied. Great minds. Those would be the top targets I think. Neither are worth a 1st but cap dumping Koskinen is probably around the 2nd rounder ballpark in itself. I'd say if Holland and Co like either it's ballpark with maybe a small add coming back to Edmonton.

Korpisalo's pending UFA would worry me if he's lights out in Edmonton we kinda screw our cap for next year. On the flip we upgrade on Koskinen now and add 1.7 we can spend to address the team as we will be a cap team and spending the Klefbom LTIR. I don't know.

I don't like Georgiev as much but he's going to be an RFA so the dollar amount for next season would least be more manageable.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
So never draft goalies ever again and just sign 40+ year olds?
Knight looks like he is ready after two years .

Do you really think the teams looking for another Mike Smith in trade or a younger guy entering his prime like Korpisalo, Georgiev? Another realistic target I could see is Chris Driedger. When Seattle took him they had no idea they would sign Grubauer.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Where did I say that? Edmonton clearly had another player they liked more with their pick and there is nothing wrong with that. Wallstedt could bust just as easily as anyone else.

I liked our pick. Would have liked Wallstedt too. Neither fit the timeline for the next 3 years though as you said. Not sure why people need to run off like that. We are looking for a starter/split duties guy at worst for this year and a clear starter for next season. Not a prospect tender years away.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Oddbob

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If they want an upgrade, it's not happening without them coughing up a 1st

It's pretty well understood in Edmonton that the first is ready to be shipped out, like, yesterday. The Oilers also have some excellent prospects they could move, but it's highly unlikely that happens given who realistically would be available. (You're not giving up a top prospect for Korpisalo or Georgiev.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad