Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
It's not like he didn't have a boatload of cap space going into the offseason. He chose to take on Keith and Ceci for almost 9M. If he hadn't gone after Keith he could have extended Larsson long before the expansion draft, protected him, and still had lots of money to go after a legit starter. Then you either run with Koskinen as a back up or pay an asset to dump his contract. They should be in win now mode so paying a draft pick that won't play for 2-3 years shouldn't be that important.
So you see no complications? One easy one is that it has to be done in a way that doesn't undermine a goaltenders confidence just in case he is still ends up being your starter. No asking to waive the NTC. No telling everyone you are looking to upgrade. IMO you have to handle goalies with kid gloves.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Mike Smith is barely a starter over a 82 game season and at 40 years old is suspect. Koskinen is barely a NHL quality backup. Its not a good situation for Edmonton and convincing yourself otherwise is laughable.

Ye, im a homer, but calling the best goalie in KHL history barely nhl backup quality doesnt seem reasonable. He's only played for 4 playoff games ffs! That's not enough to judge imo, and playoffs is where your goalie should be measured.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's not like he didn't have a boatload of cap space going into the offseason. He chose to take on Keith and Ceci for almost 9M. If he hadn't gone after Keith he could have extended Larsson long before the expansion draft, protected him, and still had lots of money to go after a legit starter. Then you either run with Koskinen as a back up or pay an asset to dump his contract. They should be in win now mode so paying a draft pick that won't play for 2-3 years shouldn't be that important.
Trading for Keith had no impact on Larsson. He had tried to extend Larsson for months. Larsson chose to move on for personal reasons and that had no bearing on the goalie search. I don't know exactly what happened that ended up with Edmonton being unable to move Koskinen, but that appeared to be a huge part of his plan with goaltending. Move Koskinen, sign Smith and somebody else to carry the load. They got Smith for cheap. They haven't upgraded on Koskinen.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
Trading for Keith had no impact on Larsson. He had tried to extend Larsson for months. Larsson chose to move on for personal reasons and that had no bearing on the goalie search. I don't know exactly what happened that ended up with Edmonton being unable to move Koskinen, but that appeared to be a huge part of his plan with goaltending. Move Koskinen, sign Smith and somebody else to carry the load. They got Smith for cheap. They haven't upgraded on Koskinen.

Klefbom retirement probably had something to do with Larson saying f*** it.

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
Ye, im a homer, but calling the best goalie in KHL history barely nhl backup quality doesnt seem reasonable. He's only played for 4 playoff games ffs! That's not enough to judge imo, and playoffs is where your goalie should be measured.
Koskinen is not nhl starter quality that has been evident for longtime and calling him the best khl goalie is just not true

Reactions: guzzy

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I like the idea of

broberg/Holloway + 1st + koskinen, maybe some sort of conditional pick based on playoffs and/or save percentage

Given our logjam up front I would probably choose Holloway, as he is injured for 3 months and Gibson could help us now. Not interested in paying any additional assets beyond this as that is already over the line in the eyes of most oiler fans.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Koskinen is not nhl starter quality that has been evident for longtime and calling him the best khl goalie is just not true
Koskinen is a backup who is paid to much and on the wrong side of 30. He is NHL calibre, just not someone good enough to even be in a 1a/b situation. This is probably his last contract worth more than a million/year if he does stay in the NHL after this season

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Trading for Keith had no impact on Larsson. He had tried to extend Larsson for months. Larsson chose to move on for personal reasons and that had no bearing on the goalie search.
I'm not buying that at all. It was rumoured that they had agreed to an extension long before and were just waiting until after the expansion draft to get it done. That makes total sense, lots of teams did the same thing with players that they couldn't protect. Except they could have easily protected him if they didn't trade for Keith. Once Larsson was allowed to talk to Seattle and had a real choice put before him he chose to walk away. We'll never know for sure I guess.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Do you remember the team he played for?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Do you remember the team he played for?

Ye, SKA might be one of the better teams, but team doesn't really matter if you put up constant 94-95% saves in the playoffs. Plus he's not been below 93% even while on other teams. It will be a crying shame if 4 NHL playoff games is all he will see.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I have no idea which stat you referring, but I was referring to all-time KHL playoff stats.

In 5 KHL seasons he had 2 cups and he is close to nr.1 in most categories:

upload_2021-9-26_22-48-4.png

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not buying that at all. It was rumoured that they had agreed to an extension long before and were just waiting until after the expansion draft to get it done. That makes total sense, lots of teams did the same thing with players that they couldn't protect. Except they could have easily protected him if they didn't trade for Keith. Once Larsson was allowed to talk to Seattle and had a real choice put before him he chose to walk away. We'll never know for sure I guess.
I don't care if you buy it. Its what happened. They still could have protected Larsson if they thought he was that important and that he wanted to play in Edmonton.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I don't care if you buy it. Its what happened. They still could have protected Larsson if they thought he was that important and that he wanted to play in Edmonton.
Plenty of your fellow Oiler fans as well as media insiders were convinced that a deal was done and they were waiting until after expansion. But apparently you are the expert.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What would you expect him to say?

“Ya it sucks that we are rebuilding but whatever. I’m just gonna come play and collect my paycheck.”

Snarky comebackers add nothing to the discussion.

He could have declined to comment and let his agent handle it in private.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Plenty of your fellow Oiler fans as well as media insiders were convinced that a deal was done and they were waiting until after expansion. But apparently you are the expert.
I'm not disagreeing with them. Nothing in my post disagreed with that. I disagreed with the notion that it was the Keith trade that prevented Larsson being protected. M

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I like the idea of

broberg/Holloway + 1st + koskinen, maybe some sort of conditional pick based on playoffs and/or save percentage

Woow, trying trade one of the worst starters in the NHL over the last two seasons and asking for that.

Keep him, in 1-2 seasons he won't be worth anything.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Koskinen will let in 8 goals in his first 2 games, he'll be put on waivers and go unclaimed, and the Oilers will claim someone like Aaron Dell on waiver as Buffalo makes way for Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Woow, trying trade one of the worst starters in the NHL over the last two seasons and asking for that.

Keep him, in 1-2 seasons he won't be worth anything.

Yikes. Terrible take.

The Ducks don’t want to trade Gibson. Ducks fans don’t want to trade Gibson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad