Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Then why didnt they pick Wallstedt?

The hypothetical goalie picks we are talking about wouldnt be ready for the McDavid window. Should've thought about it before, now the only way to boost the goalie position is to acquire via UFA/trade. You can draft goalies of course, it's always good to keep the cupboards full, but they'll have no impact whatsoever on the present and the Oilers need to become contenders asap.

Because we already have 3 good goalie prospects who are already fighting for playing time in the system, meaning that we really don't need Wallstedt. We need a goalie who can step in and be a starter now. Not in 3 years.

Our biggest weakness in our prospect system before the draft was scoring forwards. We addressed that with our first round pick instead of adding another goalie.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Klef officially retired? Thought he was LTIR

No on moving Gauthier

mark my words
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
would be an killer line if/when Rangers are smart enuf to try it.

Although Geo and small + = late 1st, want to move on from surplus
so
Geo + Kinkaid + Rooney + three 3rds 2022, 2023, 2024
for
three 2nds 2022, 2023, 2024

Oil get options in net and can sell the leftovers to Sabes or whoever needs a body in net.

Rooney is not a burner but he is intelligent 2 way and helps w/team speed, an F who can C.

Rangers will upgrade their picks and play Huska, see what he has.
We have further backup options if nec.

why are your trades always like trying to assemble a Lego death star

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
why are your trades always like trying to assemble a Lego death star
that's no trade! It's a Space Station!

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-28_13-24-31.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-28_13-24-31.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I almost mentioned him as an expensive to acquire darkhorse, but the cost for Gibson and dumping the needed cap space would be soo high.

that would have to be a HUGE + to make it worth it for us.

The price for acquiring Gibson and moving Koskinen at the same time would be high. However, it would not be anywhere near as high as the fans think it would on these boards. One thing that is certain; HF fans overestimate the cost of trading good players and weirdly underestimate the price of average ones.

At any rate Gibson should definitely be a target for Holland this season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The price for acquiring Gibson and moving Koskinen at the same time would be high. However, it would not be anywhere near as high as the fans think it would on these boards. One thing that is certain; HF fans overestimate the cost of trading good players and weirdly underestimate the price of average ones.

This is pretty true. I've also noticed that it usually doesn't cost close to what HF'ers think it will to dump cap on the short term, as long as its in a deal that the other team is into. The 1st round pick to dump Marleau is touted as standard price, but it isn't.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

I agree Gibson should be the target and is the best option. However I can assure you is extremely high. Another team tried to aquire him in the off season and the price was ridiculous. Your looking at a first, 2nd , young roster player and a prospect . If you wish to dump another goalie better and add another sweetener. It appears Gibson is comfortable and has no real die hard wish to move....yet....this is driving up the price.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This is pretty true. I've also noticed that it usually doesn't cost close to what HF'ers think it will to dump cap on the short term, as long as its in a deal that the other team is into. The 1st round pick to dump Marleau is touted as standard price, but it isn't.

Yeah, typically GMs seem to understand that a contract going back helps even the money out a bit and allows the dumping team to even contemplate a deal.

More importantly in this case is the fact these are divisional rivals, and the Ducks understand they'll be seeing a lot of Gibson over the next few years. Likewise for the Oilers with whatever prospect or pick they give up. There will always be a conversation about who won the trade every time these two teams meet.

To me realistically a trade only happens if Gibson feels he wants to try for a cup and believes the Oilers are only one or two pieces away. If that is the case Murray would make something happen for him with an eye for improvement of the team long term. Gibson has been a good soldier for them and the Ducks aren't winning anything anytime soon.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Koskinens stats the last 2 years are pretty much the same as Gibson. GAA and Save %. Add the 2 years up and they are pretty close to the same. Soooooooo I guess you are saying the same about Gibson

As an Oiler fan Koskinen isn't close to Gibson . Context matters when you are stat watching . What would Gibson record and stats look like on the Oilers ? Koskinen on the Ducks would be a slaughtering night in night out .

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan Koskinen isn't close to Gibson . Context matters when you are stat watching . What would Gibson record and stats look like on the Oilers ? Koskinen on the Ducks would be a slaughtering night in night out .

I am forced to agree. Koskinen isn't anywhere near the goaltender Gibson is, the Ducks are just that bad in front of their goalies. Oilers are a far superior team these days.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I am forced to agree. Koskinen isn't anywhere near the goaltender Gibson is, the Ducks are just that bad in front of their goalies. Oilers are a far superior team these days.
I am content to see how long our goaltending keeps putting up shut outs before I look at giving up the moon for what might add up to a minor difference on team success. Sure Gibson has been good on the past, but how many wins is he going to bring over Smith. This is the real question because Smith is our starter right now. Is 3-4 wins a year worth what Holloway and the player we get with that first will mean to the team later in Mcdavids cup window.

Gibson is Anaheim’s Franchise player right now but overpaying to pry a valued piece out when he won’t be anywhere near that important on the Edmonton team is a bad idea. Mcdavid and Drai are the franchise

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think a Friedman tried using logic and common sense to come up with hot take . What an idiot, doesn’t he know by now that nothing the Oilers do is logical or makes sense ? I’m kidding but not really kidding that much after seeing moves like the Keith trade

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Not saying he is as good. But is Gibson now as good as he was 3 years ago? That is my concern

Reactions: Homesick

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Gibs is to expensive, had been a excellent starter though.

Why so late to the party, we will end up with a lucky bean backup to Smith at best. They must also throw away some assets to get rid of Koskinen.

Had been all over Andersen at Ufa, he will rebound big with the Canes, i think.

Goaltending wins cups, ours is my biggest concern and has been for years.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not saying he is as good. But is Gibson now as good as he was 3 years ago? That is my concern
Gibson definitely loses his cool on bad team …. He spent the last 2 years being bombarded and knowing if he allowed 2 goals the game was essentially over , but he is still a top goalie talent wise imo…. I’m not exactly over the moon to trade him unless value is worth it but I understand why we would because of the rebuild and what not.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think a Friedman tried using logic and common sense to come up with hot take . What an idiot, doesn’t he know by now that nothing the Oilers do is logical or makes sense ? I’m kidding but not really kidding that much after seeing moves like the Keith trade

I dunno... there have been plenty of less logical things than Keith.

Oilers needed a SCWinning vet that guys would respect and that McDrai could lean on from a leadership perspective.

Oilers needed a 2LD to replace Klefbom

Oilers had $4.1M in LTIR available for said replacement and will have for two years, which is the exact length of Keith's contract.

Jones was not going to be protected in expansion

That kinda all lined up and checked some boxes

The Larsson situation is what messed everything up (we could have kept Jones, though nobody really cared that much)... him leaving left us with a gaping hole at 2RD and he would have been an ideal partner for Keith.

However it can easily be argued that Holland catching wind that Larsson might actually leave in UFA probably increased his urgency to land Keith, who he'd been ruminating on for a week.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I dunno... there have been plenty of less logical things than Keith.

Oilers needed a SCWinning vet that guys would respect and that McDrai could lean on from a leadership perspective.

Oilers needed a 2LD to replace Klefbom

Oilers had $4.1M in LTIR available for said replacement and will have for two years, which is the exact length of Keith's contract.

Jones was not going to be protected in expansion

That kinda all lined up and checked some boxes

The Larsson situation is what messed everything up (we could have kept Jones, though nobody really cared that much)... him leaving left us with a gaping hole at 2RD and he would have been an ideal partner for Keith.

However it can easily be argued that Holland catching wind that Larsson might actually leave in UFA probably increased his urgency to land Keith, who he'd been ruminating on for a week.

The pick in the Keith trade was on the wrong side, in my opinion. Chicago should have given the Oilers a 2nd for Jones and to take on Keith at his full cap hit. That is just what this armchair GM thinks though.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I remember seeing one of the TSN guys talking about this. Mackenzie maybe?

He basically said people like to think there's a standard price or value out there for players but there isn't. The value is whatever a GM decides he wants to pay for someone, and that changes from GM to GM, as evidenced by how many trades and signings happen that are never close to what these boards think they'll be.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Koskinens stats the last 2 years are pretty much the same as Gibson. GAA and Save %. Add the 2 years up and they are pretty close to the same. Soooooooo I guess you are saying the same about Gibson
Nobody in Edmonton liked going back tot he same guys, but Holland is looking.

Koskinen could go back up from last year, but who knows.

People laugh, but Edmonton had like the 5th best save % in all situations last year. Everybody else's goalies all must really suck then...

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nobody in Edmonton liked going back tot he same guys, but Holland is looking.

Koskinen could go back up from last year, but who knows.

People laugh, but Edmonton had like the 5th best save % in all situations last year. Everybody else's goalies all must really suck then...

I think we know from watching him that Kosk has a weak glove hand and shooters certainly know it. He said he worked on a lot of technical things in the off season which is great, but I don't know if something like that can be fixed over a summer.

An big upgrade in goal puts this team into contention. Not a favorite by any means, but at least contention.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
What goalies are even still available?

Dubnyk's play fell off a cliff but maybe he's worth a shot

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The pick in the Keith trade was on the wrong side, in my opinion. Chicago should have given the Oilers a 2nd for Jones and to take on Keith at his full cap hit. That is just what this armchair GM thinks though.

I don't disagree with that. I was just laying out the rationale for why Keith was a fit, not assessing the valuation.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad