Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It certainly seems to be the most obvious way. I'm not sure if its really even an option though, he does have a partial NTC I think. For all the chatter about Gibson wanting out of Anaheim, that doesn't mean he will want to come to Edmonton.

I still think we end up with Korpisalo and not being any better off for it.
I’d be shocked to see Edmonton go to a goalie like Korpisalo at this point unless the wheels fall off to start the season. Both Koskinen and Skinner have had a great camp, and Smith is the number 1. They will exhaust all three of those options before tradings assets I would think.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Hmmm, So Edmonton buys NJ Gibson? No Thanks.

Blackwoods stats for his 3 years in the NHL Gp: 105 W:46 - L:41 GAA: 2.85 and Save % 9.11
Gibsons stats in the same 3 years GP: 144 W: 55 L 67 GAA: 2.94 and Save % 9.08

But ya the Oilers aren't getting anything here

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Doesn’t m
Blackwoods stats for his 3 years in the NHL Gp: 105 W:46 - L:41 GAA: 2.85 and Save % 9.11

Doesn’t matter the Oilers aren’t paying Holloway and a 1st for Blackwood . Even with NJD eating 1.1 million of Koskinen cap there no way Blackwood is worth anything close to that .

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
3 Way Trade

To Edm: Blackwood
To NJ: Gibson
To Ana: Mukhamadullin, Holloway Kosknen 75% retained (50 by Edm, 25 by NJ) 1st (Edm)

Wait, the Oilers lose Holloway and a 1st to deal away Koskinen and get Blackwood? That's a crazy high price my friend.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Wait, the Oilers lose Holloway and a 1st to deal away Koskinen and get Blackwood? That's a crazy high price my friend.

It's really not for a 24 year old starting goalie with some of the best numbers in the league, on one of the worst teams in the league.
The fact that Oiler fans know so little about him is what makes you think it's an overpayment

The Devils are 78-100 since Blackwood came into the league but he is 46-41
He has consistently given them a chance to win games, and when he's not in net it's almost a guaranteed loss

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
We’re not doing any charity work for NJ lol. Why are we paying the price for Gibson and gifting him to Jersey?

Blackwood's numbers are better than Gibson's since Blackwood came in to the league. It certainly isn't "charity work"
The way I look at is, you could have Blackwood who is a marginal step down from Gibson but is 4 years younger
or you could do a massive overpayment with Anaheim to get them to trade Gibson within the division

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Blackwood's numbers are better than Gibson's since Blackwood came in to the league. It certainly isn't "charity work"
The way I look at is, you could have Blackwood who is a marginal step down from Gibson but is 4 years younger
or you could do a massive overpayment with Anaheim to get them to trade Gibson within the division
I think the flaw in your argument is that you are considering Blackwood to be a marginal step down. I like Blackwood, and he is still getting better, but Gibson is more than a step up on him at the moment. He has become so underrated, and all because he plays on such an awful team. New Jersey hasn't been world beaters in recent years, but they are certainly better than Anaheim has been.

The funny part is, that you are offering up more for Gibson between the two clubs than many Ducks fans have agreed is a fair amount in teams with just Edmonton included in the discussion. There have been discussions around a package that includes Koskinen, a 1st, Holloway or Broberg, and one other good prospect that have already been had. You're offering another former 1st rounder on top of it and giving us a lesser (albeit younger) goalie. The only reason to do that would be if Gibson is wanting a trade but not to Edmonton. Even then, if NJ was interested, you'd think a package of Blackwood+ would get Anaheim's attention more than the smorgasbord of pieces offered in the Koskinen and futures package.

Reactions: 780il

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Mikko Koskinen has 56 wins 47L and a .908 save% and 2.92 GAA in the last 3 years too. So if you're going by stats, Edmonton pays a 1st, Holloway, and 50% retention on Koskinen for.... 0.03 more save %. Not to mention this means Koskinen is better than Gibson!

My point is, stats are useless and can usually be cherry picked to prove your own view. It's unanimous that Gibson is better than Blackwood, so why is this even a 3 way deal, for that price Edmonton would just want Gibson and to cut out NJ. The fact that your name is "Devsguy24" says all we need to know about your future comments.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think the flaw in your argument is that you are considering Blackwood to be a marginal step down. I like Blackwood, and he is still getting better, but Gibson is more than a step up on him at the moment. He has become so underrated, and all because he plays on such an awful team. New Jersey hasn't been world beaters in recent years, but they are certainly better than Anaheim has been.

The funny part is, that you are offering up more for Gibson between the two clubs than many Ducks fans have agreed is a fair amount in teams with just Edmonton included in the discussion. There have been discussions around a package that includes Koskinen, a 1st, Holloway or Broberg, and one other good prospect that have already been had. You're offering another former 1st rounder on top of it and giving us a lesser (albeit younger) goalie. The only reason to do that would be if Gibson is wanting a trade but not to Edmonton. Even then, if NJ was interested, you'd think a package of Blackwood+ would get Anaheim's attention more than the smorgasbord of pieces offered in the Koskinen and futures package.

fair enough

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Mikko Koskinen has 56 wins 47L and a .908 save% and 2.92 GAA in the last 3 years too. So if you're going by stats, Edmonton pays a 1st, Holloway, and 50% retention on Koskinen for.... 0.03 more save %. Not to mention this means Koskinen is better than Gibson!

My point is, stats are useless and can usually be cherry picked to prove your own view. It's unanimous that Gibson is better than Blackwood, so why is this even a 3 way deal, for that price Edmonton would just want Gibson and to cut out NJ. The fact that your name is "Devsguy24" says all we need to know about your future comments.

I’m sorry I’ve offended you so, I’ll revoke my completely fake trade.

Although I don’t understand how my name would tell you so much about me.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Well Koskinen is GP-123 W:56 L-47 GAA: 2.97 and Save % is 9.07, so what does that mean? Do we get more for him because he is as good as those 2?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Well Koskinen is GP-123 W:56 L-47 GAA: 2.97 and Save % is 9.07, so what does that mean? Do we get more for him because he is as good as those 2?

Jesus, I already revoked my fake trade, calm the F down and move on. I’m so sorry I implied that a Devil player might be decent, when it’s painfully obvious they’re all garbage and have no value

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Jesus, I already revoked my fake trade, calm the F down and move on. I’m so sorry I implied that a Devil player might be decent, when it’s painfully obvious they’re all garbage and have no value

A lot of Oilers fans think fans of all other teams hate us.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Proposed this in another thread, but curious what folks here think of it. This is just the rough basis for a deal, would require some +'s and -'s to even out value and cap...

:coyotes - Koskinen + asset
:edmonton - Bishop
:stars - Kessel 50% retained

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m still confused why everyone thinks the Oilers need to pay some crazy amount to unload 1 year of Koskinen.

Once the season starts and they ltir their guys they’ll be able to exceed the cap by almost 5M dollars. If they buried Koskinen in Bakersfield they’d have about 6M to play with during the year. They’ve got plenty of cap space to make moves and really have no reason to pay to rid themselves of an expiring contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why are you talking about the results of the one most recent offseason like it invalidates the truth of the futility of the dozen offseasons I mentioned prior?

Ovechkin's Capitals have had much more strong, consistent teams, only missing the playoffs once in his career. McDavid has already missed three. What do you think that says about the quality of the team around him?
Do you realize how long a process there is to build a competitive team though? It's not something that gets built in one or two off-seasons. Just because the Oilers lucked out getting to draft an elite talent in Connor McDavid, it doesn't mean a competitive team suddenly falls into Edmonton's lap. The second and third contracts of the team's impact players also limits the amount of flexibility the team has to secure additional talent without limiting the team's competitive window by tying up future cap space.

We're talking about goalies in this thread. Since McDavid was drafted, we've seen great years from guys like Cam Talbot, Mikko Koskinen and Mike Smith. How many goalies are out there in the NHL fix the team's goaltending issue? Especially when you consider that a good goaltender doesn't necessarily salvage a team's bad season.

Reactions: zar and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Why are you talking about the results of the one most recent offseason like it invalidates the truth of the futility of the dozen offseasons I mentioned prior?

Ovechkin's Capitals have had much more strong, consistent teams, only missing the playoffs once in his career. McDavid has already missed three. What do you think that says about the quality of the team around him?

That its got considerably better since he was drafted? The Oilers are deeper than they were last year and poised to be even better than last year, while many teams have gotten worse. They didn't "go all in" and sell off the farm. Instead we are seeing players like Puljujarvi, Bouchard and Yamamoto develop. Broberg, Samorukov, Holloway, etc are still developing.

It's a hard concept for fans to grasp but the only reason the Oilers were able to get McDavid in the first place was because they were one of the worst teams in the league. You don't just snap your fingers and win a cup. Only one team wins a cup each year.

Regardless if you like Holland/Tippett they have improved this team every year.

2019-2020: 105P (pro-rated)
2018-2019: 96P (pro-rated)
2017-2018: 79P

Reactions: zar and TFHockey

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Regardless if you like Holland/Tippett they have improved this team every year.

2019-2020: 105P (pro-rated)
2018-2019: 96P (pro-rated)
2017-2018: 79P

Fair point. While I'm not nearly as down on the Oilers as many of my brethren, I think it's a fair counterpoint to say that at some point improvement has to be measured in the post season though.

The jump from 17-18 to 18-19 is 100% well done, and it's entirely possible they surpass 2019-20 given how open the Pacific is this year.

Reactions: zar

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2