I don't like how the draft is going...

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I'll admit, I wanted defenseman in the worst way...but after Zadina being passed up 3 times, I was locked in for getting Zadina. I wanted defense with 30th overall, kept seeing Veleno dropping, I was locked in to getting Veleno.

Honestly, this is the first time in years I've ever been this happy with their selections!! Sure, I questioned day 2 picks..but I'll learn to get over it!

Don't fret about not getting the player you wanted. I sure didn't!!

Reactions: Coincidental Minors

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
What's his story? Read somebody saying he seriously turned up his offense from the middle of the season to the end.
He’s very raw (August bday), big kid, good skater. Shows flashes of offensive potential. He can make breakout passes, he can skate the puck out on his own. Makes dumb plays here and there. People look at his numbers and think safe pick, defensive d man, that isn’t the case. He’s a project.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I do find it interesting how the conversation has shifted from the Wings not being able to draft top defenseman because we've been too good, to it doesn't matter if we take a defenseman early since they can be taken in the 2nd round...

The biggest issue is this organizations inability to draft and develop them, which is why I've been a big proponent of trying to trade for one, but I've seen backlash on that as well... So if we can't draft/develop or won't draft/develop them and trading is a bad idea because the 'price is too high'... what then?

Then we continue to sweep the whole issue under the rug as if it wasn't that important, and continue to ice teams like the post-2012 editions that have good forwards but still struggle to score because they never get the puck with speed or in scoring position.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Was there a defenseman who was slated to be that good that we passed up on?

No, all the time when we went with BPA on our turn, the forward was far better than any defenceman on the ranks.

The situation changed on the McIsaac pick after Noel was gone, forwards from #35 to #70 were quite equal as defencemen. Then they went after defencemen.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Veleno seems like a kid who fell victim of over-scouting. If he tops out as a 2C that is a win at pick #30. Pick 30 alumni includes:

Last 4 seasons prior to 2018

YearPlayerPositionTeamGPGAPtsPIM
2017Eeli TolvanenFORWARDNashville Predators30000
2016Sam SteelFORWARDAnaheim Ducks
2015Nick MerkleyFORWARDArizona Coyotes10002
2014John QuennevilleFORWARDNew Jersey Devils141342
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

all time points leaders
YearPlayerPositionTeamGPGAPtsPIM
1976Randy CarlyleDEFENSEToronto Maple Leafs10551484996471400
1991Sandis OzolinshDEFENSESan Jose Sharks875167397564638
1989Patrice BriseboisDEFENSEMontreal Canadiens100998322420623
1973Pat HickeyFORWARDNew York Rangers644192212404351
1979Mark HardyDEFENSELos Angeles Kings915623063681293
1981Jan ErixonFORWARDNew York Rangers55657159216167
2011Rickard RakellFORWARDAnaheim Ducks3139610219857
2010Brock NelsonFORWARDNew York Islanders3989989188145
2012Tanner PearsonFORWARDLos Angeles Kings308697414380
1994Deron QuintDEFENSEWinnipeg Jets4634697143166
2002Jim SlaterFORWARDAtlanta Thrashers5846771138407
1984Peter DourisFORWARDWinnipeg Jets321546712180
1983David BruceFORWARDVancouver Canucks234483987338
1986Neil WilkinsonDEFENSEMinnesota North Stars460166783813
2001Dave SteckelFORWARDLos Angeles Kings425334679129
1996Josh GreenFORWARDLos Angeles Kings341364076206
1988Adrien PlavsicDEFENSESt. Louis Blues214165672161
2013Ryan HartmanFORWARDChicago Blackhawks162303363144
2000Jeff TaffeFORWARDSt. Louis Blues18021254640
2009Simon DespresDEFENSEPittsburgh Penguins19363743150
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
All the talk that you only get top D in the Top 10 in drafts, is off a little, when 7 of the top 20 scoring d-men were either drafted outside round one, or undrafted.

1) 3rd in PTS for D - John Klingberg - Drafted (5/131)
2) 4th in PTS for D - Shayne Gostibehere - Drafted (3/78)
3) 9th in PTS for D - Torey Krug - (Not Drafted)
4) 10th in PTS for D - Tyson Barrie - Drafted (3/64)
5) 14th in PTS for D - Roman Josi - Drafted (2/38)
6) 18th in PTS for D - Kris Letang - Drafted (3/62)
7) 20th in PTS for D - Dustin Byfuglien - Drafted (8/245)

Then other quite good d-men like Shea Weber and many others drafted outside the top 10 or 1st round.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I've hated the way the Wings have developed dmen over the past 10 yeara or so. They drafted incomplete players and then refused to let them play to their strengths, crowded the pipeline so they didn't have time to work out their kinks in the minors, waited until they were out of waiver options to bring them up, and then often gave them little playing time again when they reached the NHL. Ericsson, Kindl, Smith, Marchenko, XO, Sproul, Jensen etc. Now I don't think any where ever going to be top pair dman but the fact that only E had really managed an NHL career is pretty damning when you look at their pedigree. Some players will inevitably bust, but not that many. Not when you have CHL dmen of the year, NCAA dman of the year, WJ standouts, etc.

As this relates to this draft, im ok stocking up on bpas even if they are forwards. If you dont think anyone besides Dahlin is a number 1 dman so be it and if yoi think Zadina can be a star you have to take him. Build a surplus of forwards and maybe dangle a budding star and a first for a dman a year or two from now. Hope AA has a better year and dangle him. Lets hope Hronek and Cholo continue to develop and put two decades of poor 2 development behind the Wings. If you have geat depth throughout you can win without an elite D, but it is definitely a harder model. Overall I'm pretty happy with this drafr.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think this draft has to start a timer for Detroit. Okay, you just drafted basically 4 guys who are going to contribute in the next 3-ish years. Zadina is going to come in very quickly, and then there are other young guys who are also coming in quite shortly (Rasmussen, Smith, Svechnikov, Hronek, Cholowski, etc.), and Veleno, Bergren, and McIsaac can come in a little bit later. This is a team that is going to upgrade in relatively short order, and that'll help them compete. But that also ends up meaning the Wings have 3-ish years to upgrade the defense to complement them, otherwise they're going to run into serious cap and timing issues.

Nah, you just trade some of those extra forwards for a proven defenceman, when it looks like that you have too many.

Drafting forwards is not a problem, it's the answer, sooner or later.

Reactions: NickH8 and golffuul

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nah, you just trade some of those extra forwards for a proven defenceman, when it looks like that you have too many.

Drafting forwards is not a problem, it's the answer, sooner or later.
Sure. Keep collecting nickels, and try to trade a couple for a quarter down the road. Sounds like a really efficient way to build a roster.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think this draft has to start a timer for Detroit. Okay, you just drafted basically 4 guys who are going to contribute in the next 3-ish years. Zadina is going to come in very quickly, and then there are other young guys who are also coming in quite shortly (Rasmussen, Smith, Svechnikov, Hronek, Cholowski, etc.), and Veleno, Bergren, and McIsaac can come in a little bit later. This is a team that is going to upgrade in relatively short order, and that'll help them compete. But that also ends up meaning the Wings have 3-ish years to upgrade the defense to complement them, otherwise they're going to run into serious cap and timing issues.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
For people who didn't like taking the forwards so high...did you realize how bad their forward prospects were?

1. Rasmussen
2. Svechnikov
3. Givani Smith
4. Turgeon

And that's pretty much it. The team needed forward prospects just as bad (if not more so) than they needed defensive prospects.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Sure. Keep collecting nickels, and try to trade a couple for a quarter down the road. Sounds like a really efficient way to build a roster.

Is passing up a potential superstar forward that falls into your lap an efficient way to build a roster in your opinion?

Reactions: NickH8

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is passing up a potential superstar forward that falls into your lap an efficient way to build a roster in your opinion?
When the most important facet of said roster has zero encouraging NHL players, it's a great way to get right back to bubble status and stay there for a long time.

But my gripe isn't with taking Zadina over a defenseman. It's in not still finding a way to either draft a potential top pairing guy, or a boatload of 3/4 guys.

Take the superstar. But then don't continue to bury your head in the sand for how crucial it is to get some real blue liners.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
You think Zadina, Veleno, and Berggren are nickels? Say we pick Kaapo Kakko next year, the skilled Finnish winger. If that happens you've suddenly got many significant trade pieces. Mantha is suddenly available, Athanasiou and Svechnikov become even easier to part ways with. Mantha+Athanasiou would get you a damn fine young defenseman, and you're still left with a U23 forward group of Zadina, Kakko, Larkin, Veleno, Rasmussen, and Berggren. You've also got Bertuzzi, Smith, Pope, and Turgeon providing depth. Between the d-man you trade for and McIsaac, Cholowski, and Hronek, you're looking good, even if one of them doesn't pan out.

Reactions: David D

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You think Zadina, Veleno, and Berggren are nickels?
I have zero complaints about Zadina as a player, and I wish people would stop misinterpreting that part of my argument. What I don't like is that Detroit now has another handful of forwards that are - Zadina notwithstanding - middle six type guys, while the defense is still bereft of a single player or prospect they might be a true top pairing player. And hoarding those type of forwards doesn't make much sense, because the trade market tends to require 2-3 of them for one even halfway decent defenseman.

Say we pick Kaapo Kakko next year, the skilled Finnish winger. If that happens you've suddenly got many significant trade pieces. Mantha is suddenly available, Athanasiou and Svechnikov become even easier to part ways with. Mantha+Athanasiou would get you a damn fine young defenseman, and you're still left with a U23 forward group of Zadina, Kakko, Larkin, Veleno, Rasmussen, and Berggren.
No, Mantha and AA maybe get you a Justin Faulk, which is a decent player, but isn't close to the anchor needed.

You've also got Bertuzzi, Smith, Pope, and Turgeon providing depth. Between the d-man you trade for and McIsaac, Cholowski, and Hronek, you're looking good, even if one of them doesn't pan out.
It's a war of attrition. I only expect one legit NHL defenseman for every 3-4 decent prospects. Partly because it's inherently a numbers game, and partly because the Wings stink at drafting enough D, drafting good D players, and developing said D players once drafted.

So I wanted 3 of their first 4 picks on defense, because even 2 of those 3 panning out would be beating the curve. As it stands, maybe McIsaac turns into a 3/4 guy, maybe he turns into Jakub Kindl, but there simply aren't enough high picks used on defense to be confident that you'll really end up building it up.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
We didn't collect nickles. That's why people aren't upset. We went for the skilled guys finally. You know how we never have tempting offers when something juicy is available? That's cause all we had are nickles. We're trying to change that.

Furthermore, until Holland and this regime is gone I have zero confidence in them drafting and developing defensemen. Forwards they seem to have a grasp on so might as well stock up until something changes at the top.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I've been beating the defense drum all year, but with the way things fell, I think Holland made the right call with each of our first three picks.

The truth is we're not great at any position, relative to other upcoming teams, and need the most valuable assets we can get, if only to trade them down the road.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What if we are so bad we get Kakko or Jack Hughes is a problem I would love to have. Sure we might not get the D-man for forward trade, but I am not going to cry about winning a top 3 spot in the lottery ever. We need to hit on a lot of talent over the next few years. It felt like we hit on a lot of it this year.

I would have drafted differently, but upset isn't really totally how I feel. Time will tell, I trust our group so that makes it a little easier for me to look at it and say hey they went BPA and with the skill slant. That is what they have been saying for a year they were going to do.... I cannot say we weren't warned. Holland kept saying he wanted to do something with the D, but what presented to the group with the first three picks were players they obviously felt they couldn't walk away from.

I will say I am becoming increasingly annoyed that we never consider handedness when picking. I know it isn't everything, but it is something and we don't seem to pay any attention to it at all.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
When the most important facet of said roster has zero encouraging NHL players, it's a great way to get right back to bubble status and stay there for a long time.

But my gripe isn't with taking Zadina over a defenseman. It's in not still finding a way to either draft a potential top pairing guy, or a boatload of 3/4 guys.

Take the superstar. But then don't continue to bury your head in the sand for how crucial it is to get some real blue liners.
Look. The Wings scouts may suck. It's fully possible they are crazy or complete morons.
But from the sounds of it they had Zadina as the 2nd best player in the draft, Veleno very high (let's speculate and say top ~15), and Berggren also high (say top ~20).. they went into the draft targeting D, because they thought the BPA at both 6, 30 and 33 would likely be D. They thought Zadina would go top 5, and both Veleno and Berggren to be gone at 30. When they fall, how can you ignore it? The fact that most people count Wings as big winners of the draft, and fans of other teams are talking about how we stole all 3 of those guys should tip you off to the fact that our scouts made the right call ON PAPER.

In the end the most important facet of any NHL roster is talent. Will it look bad for us if there are a couple of top pairing D coming out of the 2nd round or late 1st while we get nothing much out of Veleno/Berggren/McIsaac? Sure. But that's every draft. We might just as easily get a couple of the top players of the draft with these selections.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Look. The Wings scouts may suck. It's fully possible they are crazy or complete morons.
But from the sounds of it they had Zadina as the 2nd best player in the draft, Veleno very high (let's speculate and say top ~15), and Berggren also high (say top ~20).. they went into the draft targeting D, because they thought the BPA at both 6, 30 and 33 would likely be D. They thought Zadina would go top 5, and both Veleno and Berggren to be gone at 30. When they fall, how can you ignore it? The fact that most people count Wings as big winners of the draft, and fans of other teams are talking about how we stole all 3 of those guys should tip you off to the fact that our scouts made the right call ON PAPER.

In the end the most important facet of any NHL roster is talent. Will it look bad for us if there are a couple of top pairing D coming out of the 2nd round or late 1st while we get nothing much out of Veleno/Berggren/McIsaac? Sure. But that's every draft. We might just as easily get a couple of the top players of the draft with these selections.

Agree. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if arizona takes zadina, which i thought was a lock (imagine him and keller as scoring threats for the yotes) wings take a dman. Of them i would be about 65 percent sure it would be hughes, followed by bouchard. Yeah i wish perhaps we had gotten another d perhaps instead of berggren, but it wasn't just us passing on guys like wilde at that point.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been a lurker for a week or so and love the discussion on the site so I joined!

Any who, I was pretty set on the first round guys and good with selecting both based on where we selected them. I mean they both dropped in our laps as Red Wings fans, and While I think Zadina can be Patrick Elias good, Veleno looks more of another Darren Helm or Greg Johnson type player who'll hold down the third line for a long time and possibly play a lot on the penalty kill. I wanted defense in the worst way, but based on how things shook up I'm ok with who they took when they took them, it's not like we traded up and lost assets to get guys projected higher. I think both first round picks will be long time NHL players with Zadina possibly being a top flight scorer.

That said, the trade market for defense is heating up a bit, slightly, with Faulk/Meyers rumored or thought to possibly be available. It'll likely cost both AA/Nyquist/ and possibly two prospects(Hicketts or Cholowski) or two mid round picks but both Nyquist/AA are basically on 1 year deals which lowers their value imo. I think Faulk could be had for AA/Nyquist/Hicketts or Cholowski. One prospect I wouldn't trade is Filip Hronek who I think should play in the NHL next season and work our second unit PP. He's a good looking player I watched live a few times in Grand Rapids.

The real wild card will be the young players Wings bring up. I expect honestly Rasmussen/Zadina/Hronek to make this team. If you make the trade for Justin Faulk I mentioned above you start to build a competitive roster imo with the foundations started this year, and build on from that the following.

The team can always waive Ericsson too and save I believe 1 million on the cap and bring up a younger player if they choose too.

As far as FA is concerned I'm not expecting too much, a veteran scorer possibly like Vanek or someone like that that they could flip at the deadline if they're out of the race. I expect a veteran back up like Khudobin or Chad Johnson. I don't think the organization is or are looking for the next replacement through FA for Jimmy Howard. I like Dennis Cholowski too on defense, but think we should give him 1 year of pro hockey at the AHL to see if he can really handle the transition well from juniors.

My personal projections on what the Red Wings Roster will look like next season. Like I said, not a scout or anything just my opinions.

Roster: 18-19
(C)Henrik Zetterberg – Dylan LarkinAnthony Mantha
UFA – Frans Nielson – Filip Zadina
Tyler BertuzziMichael Rasmussen – Luke Glendenning
(A)Justin Abdelkader – Darren Helm – Matt Puempel/ UFA

* Dominic Turgeon
* Luke Witowski

Justin Faulk
– Trevor Daley
Nick Jensen – Danny DeKeyser
Filip Hronek – (A)Niklas Kronwall

* Jonathan Ericsson

Jimmy Howard
UFA
~ Matej Machovsky~

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For the sake of argument, let's say my take on Veleno is too harsh, some other takes are a tad too optimistic, and let's say he pans out to be a tweener 2/3C kinda player. More than just the Lars Eller that Button compares him to, and becomes something of the next Frans Nielsen (the early years, not post bad contract).

Now let's also temper my expectations a bit of the defensemen I would've drafted instead. So instead of Addison or Wilde becoming the next Brent Seabrook or Tyson Barrie, they become the next Sammy Vataanen.

Based on where this franchise is, and their track record of identifying forwards versus identifying defensemen...you think it's more important to add the next Frans Nielsen then the next Sammy Vataanen? If you really think that way, you're entitled to your opinion.

But I'm never ever going to agree with that. Not for this team.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
For the sake of argument, let's say my take on Veleno is too harsh, some other takes are a tad too optimistic, and let's say he pans out to be a tweener 2/3C kinda player. More than just the Lars Eller that Button compares him to, and becomes something of the next Frans Nielsen (the early years, not post bad contract).

Now let's also temper my expectations a bit of the defensemen I would've drafted instead. So instead of Addison or Wilde becoming the next Brent Seabrook or Tyson Barrie, they become the next Sammy Vataanen.

Based on where this franchise is, and their track record of identifying forwards versus identifying defensemen...you think it's more important to add the next Frans Nielsen then the next Sammy Vataanen? If you really think that way, you're entitled to your opinion.

my only thing with that is they still couldve had addison or wilde, but instead went with berg. So really it is better to compare him with those guys. Personally i would have gone with one of those guys over berggren. Think if enough of hronek/cholo/hicketts/sulak/lindstrom/saarijarvi can make somewhat of a step up to the majors and berggren hits his potential that it will work out well with only adding mcisaac

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Most of us realize there's going to be 4-5 more drafts where the Red Wings are probably picking top 5. There's plenty of time to get one. I don't know why you care so much about getting #3 or #4 defensemen, either. This team needs a elite #1 more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad