I don't like how the draft is going...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have a bad feeling that in 2-3 years we will really wish the DRW had picked Dobson. I hope i'm wrong but pretty sure as long as he puts on 15-20 lbs next year he is up in the NHL in a year. It wouldn't surprise me either if he is hands down the 2nd best overall D of the draft.

I was probably the biggest Dobson fan on here leading up to the draft, and I'm not worried about this because of the potential I see with Zadina.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Tough to get too worked up about this draft since the Wings need 2-3 more top five picks to figure out whether they picked the right players.

I'm not thrilled that the Wings took a winger, but there was a big enough difference in talent that picking Zadina over a defenseman was the best move.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Posted in the GDT, but I can't be upset about Zadina. Hated the next two picks with a passion. Loved McIsaac.

But whatever. This team is 5+ years from competing in any meaningful way, so at least now, there's two to three fun younger guys to watch, between Zadina, Larkin and Mantha. KH isn't going to suddenly care about the defense, or act like it's an actual need, so I'm not going to get worked about it anymore.

At least I don't root for like, Ottawa.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't get why you'd hate drafting a playmaking center with a passion, as it was an organizational need, but I get why you'd be mad about a second winger.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't get why you'd hate drafting a playmaking center with a passion, as it was an organizational need, but I get why you'd be mad about a second winger.

I think Veleno is a third line center at best, in the Sheahan mold. I think there was a good reason why he was falling, and we were better off taking all three picks trying to fix the defense. But I'm just really tired of hating moves this front office is making, so I get that some folks disagree, and I'm not really trying to convince you (or anyone) that I'm right.

I'll cross my fingers and hope we can get by with a bunch of middle pairing defenders, and that we can get a real top line C next year, so Larkin can play 2nd line and work the mismatches.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'll cross my fingers and hope we can get by with a bunch of middle pairing defenders, and that we can get a real top line C next year, so Larkin can play 2nd line and work the mismatches.
I was just curious about it because we have barely any center prospects (and quite a few posters have said they see Rasmussen as a winger - didn't know which camp you were in)
So who would you have drafted at 30 and what makes you think their top pair potential is higher than Veleno's top 6 potential?
If we went D at 30 I would've wanted Alex Alexeyev, but I don't see him as much more than a #4, much like many of our options in that range including McI. Obviously, I'm sure there will be a D that emerges above their draft grade from 30-60, but I'm thinking most of them aren't going to be much more than middle pairing defenders.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I was just curious about it because we have barely any center prospects (and quite a few posters have said they see Rasmussen as a winger - didn't know which camp you were in)
So who would you have drafted at 30 and what makes you think their top pair potential is higher than Veleno's top 6 potential?
If we went D at 30 I would've wanted Alex Alexeyev, but I don't see him as much more than a #4, much like many of our options in that range including McI. Obviously, I'm sure there will be a D that emerges above their draft grade from 30-60, but I'm thinking most of them aren't going to be much more than middle pairing defenders.
The other option was trading up long before 30 came along, and there were still better options at defense. Now obviously some people wouldn't be fans of that, thinking the price was too high, and/or other teams in the 10 to 20-something range wouldn't be interested in trading with Detroit. But there were definitely several defensemen taken between the Wings' two first round picks that I would've paid a premium to get instead of standing pat for Veleno.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
The other option was trading up long before 30 came along, and there were still better options at defense. Now obviously some people wouldn't be fans of that, thinking the price was too high, and/or other teams in the 10 to 20-something range wouldn't be interested in trading with Detroit. But there were definitely several defensemen taken between the Wings' two first round picks that I would've paid a premium to get instead of standing pat for Veleno.
just out of curiousity, but who exactly? Know merkly could have been a realistic option, and maybe a ty smith type move up, but didn't really see too many others that screamed stud pick that were realistic (i.e. top 10 picks)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The pick to take a defenseman was #6. (if we were going to)

After that, who were the great D prospects to get? Ty Smith went, K'Andre Miller went, Ryan Merkley went. I don't see what defenseman I would have picked at #30 that I would feel better about than Veleno. I liked Alexeyev, but I like Veleno way better.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
just out of curiousity, but who exactly? Know merkly could have been a realistic option, and maybe a ty smith type move up, but didn't really see too many others that screamed stud pick that were realistic (i.e. top 10 picks)
Obviously Dobson after the top ten, but NYI had a deal in place with Montreal for Patches - from what I've heard - before those two players dropped to them.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The pick to take a defenseman was #6. (if we were going to)

After that, who were the great D prospects to get? Ty Smith went, K'Andre Miller went, Ryan Merkley went. I don't see what defenseman I would have picked at #30 that I would feel better about than Veleno. I liked Alexeyev, but I like Veleno way better.
I'm not talking about 30, I'm talking about trading up for a good defenseman INSTEAD of waiting for 30.

Bouchard went at 10, Dobson at 12, Smith at 17, Miller at 22, and Sandin at 29. I would've rather had any of those players than Veleno, and I would've happily paid a king's ransom to come away with both Zadina and either Bouchard or Dobson, even if that meant that's all they came out of the draft with.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not talking about 30, I'm talking about trading up for a good defenseman INSTEAD of waiting for 30.

Bouchard went at 10, Dobson at 12, Smith at 17, Miller at 22, and Sandin at 29. I would've rather had any of those players than Veleno, and I would've happily paid a king's ransom to come away with both Zadina and either Bouchard or Dobson, even if that meant that's all they came out of the draft with.
i just don't think the teams that drafted bouchard or dobson would have moved back even if it meant they get our 1st, both our 2nds, and our 3rd round picks. The other 3 would have been realistic options for sure though.

Although to be fair, if they would i would prob make that deal as well. Get zadina and bouchard/dobson and call it a day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Edmonton has needed a defenseman forever, they aren't trading you that pick. Islanders sitting there with Dobson and Wahlstrom were probably jumping for joy, don't see them moving one of those picks either. So I think you are being unrealistic with that.

Maybe trading for #21 or #22 for Merkely or Miller would have been realistic, but I don't know if I would want to give up both my 2nd's for that, and I'm not sure that is worth it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Edmonton has needed a defenseman forever, they aren't trading you that pick. Islanders sitting there with Dobson and Wahlstrom were probably jumping for joy, don't see them moving one of those picks either. So I think you are being unrealistic with that.

Maybe trading for #21 or #22 for Merkely or Miller would have been realistic, but I don't know if I would want to give up both my 2nd's for that, and I'm not sure that is worth it.
Yeah, I'm not saying I expected it as a perfectly doable scenario (although Edmonton was on record saying #10 was available; maybe a 3 team deal to still get the Oilers a defenseman). Just that I would have had a Plan A, B, C, D, and maybe more before the route they ended up going.

Zadina should be a ton of fun to watch, and I like the upside of Berggren, but there's a long list of players taken both before and after Veleno that I'd rather have. Just not a fan at all of him, so it felt like insult to injury that in the first round they didn't get a top defenseman, then didn't get a defenseman at all, then took a player I didn't want period.

Reactions: njx9

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I was probably the biggest Dobson fan on here leading up to the draft, and I'm not worried about this because of the potential I see with Zadina.

Not gonna lie, really really wanted Dobson, but I'm happy with how the draft worked out for us.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

I think we're in a position where you just need swings at defense. I'd have taken Alexeyev or Wilde (I think he was on the board, but maybe I'm misremembering) and hoped that quantity would make up for our poor scouting at the position.

I also am just not enamored with a guy who doesn't look like he ever tops out as more than a mediocre 2C, especially given the strength at C next year (when we'll still be picking high in the draft).

That said, at least he *is* a C. It would've been really hard to swallow taking 3 wingers with those picks.

I dunno, I hope I'm wrong and I hope we found Aaron Rodgers. It just feels like we added a guy because of his draft ranking in October of last year, rather than due to scouting him at all this year.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
On the flip side, had Wings taken Dobson instead, then I think it is very possible in 2-3 years we'd really wish DRW had picked Zadina over Dobson. I think Dobson has Brent Seabrook upside. Which is great, but with the 6th pick, I want better. I like the bluechip kid, Zadina.

I just feel Dobson is a #1 in the making and I feel that wins out over at best a Hossa winger if everything goes right for Zadina.

I know I've said it a bunch but defense over wingers hands down. I hope I'm wrong but in a few years we might all look back on this decision and regret it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad