I don't like how the draft is going...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Haven't you ever heard Bob McKenzie's thing? "It only takes one".

Ken Holland and Co were a deadlock to take a D at 6... and then Zadina was there. Hell, look at the NFL draft. Aaron Rodgers in his draft year was in high discussions for #1OA and then he's there at 24 for Green Bay. There must be something completely wrong with him, right?

**** at the start of the year, Jesperi Kotkaniemi was a borderline first round pick. He went 3OA pretty much on the strength of two great tournaments. The issue with complaining about Veleno's drop is that it is predicated on his assumed ceiling being lower than the guys in front of him. Like Merkley, Miller, Dellendrea, etc. Teams have different needs and some players who "should" be taken at 15 don't make any sense for them as picks.
Hell the arguably greatest qb at of all time was drafted at in the 6th round by a supposedly genius organization coming out of one of the most high profile programs in the entire country.

Using the appeal to authority argument to state a prospect can't turn out great because he was passed over is so bad. At the end of the day scouts and GM's are wrong more than they're right. If they weren't redraft rankings would be in the order they were drsfred every year.

Reactions: Henkka

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hell, look at the NFL draft. Aaron Rodgers in his draft year was in high discussions for #1OA and then he's there at 24 for Green Bay. There must be something completely wrong with him, right?

There is a huge flaw with his game. The fact he's not immortal and he only has about 5 years left in the league. Really lame, if you ask me.

Hell the arguably greatest qb at of all time was drafted at in the 6th round by a supposedly genius organization coming out of one of the most high profile programs in the entire country.

And if the starting QB Beldsoe doesn't go down with a huge injury, we never see Brady take over and cement himself as the starter. There were a couple of flukes thrown in there for good measure.

There are guys like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Tavares that everyone knows are can't miss players. Impact players from day 1 that will boost your roster. And then there's everyone else that could fit into the range of elite 1st line center like Kopitar to complete bust like Filatov. The same draft year as Filatov, you had Luke Schenn, Myers, and Bogosian being plucked up before Erik Karlsson.

Any given draft year these guys are clumped pretty close together. That's why if you have a guy on your draft board that is clearly above the rest, ala Zadina, holy hell you jump at it. And I think the same thing happened at pick #30 as well for the Wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syckle78

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Please provide your many examples of a quick rebuild.
honestly i just dont have the time or effort to do that research haha. And i would need to first come up with a quick criteria of what might be considered success for teams? Is it a cup? Cause i already pointed out that unless you were a fan of the penguins, blackhawks, or kings, nobody has been successful that way until the capitals for a while now. If anything you could just look at the top 5 finishers of points in the NHL and see that teams rise and fall so much that i just dont believe in the idea that a team has to suck for 6 years and have this big rebuild process that will magically result in dominance over an extended period of time.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's just not worth it anymore.

We aren't going to agree...and that's fine. But if you're going to resort to name-calling and condescension, then I'll take a pass on anything further.

I mean, he was rough in ignoring the argument, but that was a very lazy rebuttal.

We get it. You wanted a defenseman with #6 OA. We literally couldn’t pass up the guy who was at worst the third best prospect in the draft. He was clearly heads and shoulders better than the D on the board.

And onto your point on whether you’d want the next Nielsen or the next Vatanen? I dont think that actually matters a whole hell of a lot. The next Vatanen tops out as a #3. Sami Vatanen isn’t a top pair guy and it looks like we may have gotten that guy in Jared McIsaac anyway. The Wings have decent middle pairing and decent 2nd/3rd line forward options if they can fill in the top line and top pairing.

Lastly, and this is just my opinion a little bit... undersized D who have to learn the defensive side of the game are getting ridiculously overvalued because of what guys like Torrey Krug, Karlsson, and the like have been able to do.

Of the top three defense picked not named Dahlin, not a one is stellar on the defensive end. Hughes plays basically no defense. Boqvist plays pretty much no defense. Bouchard’s accolades are all on the offensive side with no real mention of good defensive play. Dobson was about the only one who wasn’t a complete joke when he didn’t have the puck and you have to remember the guys you want that high need to be #1D guys who can chew up huge minutes against the best players in the league... who are more likely than not to have the puck on their stick. Bouchard getting top pair minutes against Crosby and Malkin and Backstrom and similar... he’s not going to be sitting there dictating the flow of the game with his passes. Hughes isn’t going to outspeed top line NHL players to the puck and those that he will will muscle him off it.

They’d be fantastic prospects if we had them but not a one of them was a sure thing to be a top pairing D at the NHL level

Reactions: KJoe88

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
honestly i just dont have the time or effort to do that research haha. And i would need to first come up with a quick criteria of what might be considered success for teams? Is it a cup? Cause i already pointed out that unless you were a fan of the penguins, blackhawks, or kings, nobody has been successful that way until the capitals for a while now. If anything you could just look at the top 5 finishers of points in the NHL and see that teams rise and fall so much that i just dont believe in the idea that a team has to suck for 6 years and have this big rebuild process that will magically result in dominance over an extended period of time.
There's nothing magical about it. It's just that there's so many holes to fill it's more than likely going to take 5 or so drafts. Even for the Hawks they were bad for years before Kane and toews showed up. Keith was drafted I think in 02. Kane wasn't drafted until 07. Five years apart.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah 5 years is too long. Wings have big money coming off the books the next couple of season's and have a decent amount of picks between this year and next, with the possibility/likely-hood of adding more this up coming trade-deadline(assuming they are out of the playoff picture). I mean AA/Nyquist/Jensen/Daley/Howard/Glendenning all could be had and fetch multiple mid rounders I think.

Tough to know you're drafting a top flight number 1 defender unless you're Buffalo. I think Wings really need to take the opportunity now and go get someone they like. I don't think they have what it takes to get the pipe-dream of Karlsson but I like Faulk at the right price if Carolina is really ready to move on from him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
My main point is that it is stupid to just say oh we have to suck for 6 plus years to get any good when that clearly isn't the case.

Why is it stupid? It's pretty accurate. Just about every team spends time in the cellar before getting good again. I'm not sure why you'd even consider arguing this point.

The Red Wings are going to be bad for another four or five years at least. That's just the reality of the situation. Everyone wanted Ken Holland to begin a rebuild years ago and now they started it. Don't complain when the losses start piling up. This is what you asked for.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why is it stupid? It's pretty accurate. Just about every team spends time in the cellar before getting good again. I'm not sure why you'd even consider arguing this point.

The Red Wings are going to be bad for another four or five years at least. That's just the reality of the situation. Everyone wanted Ken Holland to begin a rebuild years ago and now they started it. Don't complain when the losses start piling up. This is what you asked for.

Bullshit. We don't be there for another 5. We have been already 2 years on that cellar. But we were also able to draft good players before we went on that cellar. That cuts the time off.

2 years and this team is young, on a rise, and back to the playoffs.

Summer of 2020 is the turning point. Zetterberg retires, Kronwall retires earlier and all old dogs from defence can be swept out. Howard gone. Zadina's and kids jumping in giving real depth. League is so even that any kind of Las Vegases can do fast turnarounds.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Bull****. We don't be there for another 5. We have been already 2 years on that cellar.

Haha, this team hasn't even hit the cellar yet. Sorry to disappoint you. If you thought this season was bad and unwatchable, it's going to get much, much worse. Just you wait!

This is what everyone has been asking for. Don't complain.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Haha, this team hasn't even hit the cellar yet. Sorry to disappoint you. If you thought this season was bad and unwatchable, it's going to get much, much worse. Just you wait!

Next season will be bad. I know it. Same team. Too early to predict further than that.

But keep remembering how bad we are! Hope you get some positive energy about that!

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Wow, I'm not sure people are expecting a stanley cup next year and most fans I think do understand at the absolute best scenario really for next season would be the kids playing a hefty amount of minutes competeting/hovering around that last playoff spot. That, imo, is like the best scenario for the Red Wings next season, but what I expect is we'll be somewhere between 10-1 as far as our first selection in the 1st round.

I mean not every rebuild takes years and years, but I'm not expecting a quick bounce next year with certain players on the roster tying up cash. Imo, an NHL fan should expect a playoff appearance by a teams 5th year of a "rebuild". Or... the team isn't drafting right, wrong coaches, wrong signings, idk, by the 5th year there will likely be lots of reasons someones failed.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The rebuild should have started 5 years ago. But it didn't, not in earnest, so here we are. But it's happening now, at least.

Reactions: odin1981

shanman

Jun 23, 2018

love how you somehow magically know how everything will turn out. What it for example we had won the lottery and were able to draft dahlin this year? Would we still have to be bad for 4 or 5 more years "at least"? With chicago's time up, and thinking penguins are hopefully entering that stage i hope we get a bit more of the parity of teams winning cup vs dynasties. I just don't quite get people with how they think about teams and "success". Is a team not successful unless they win the cup, or have multiple cups over a period of a couple years? There are over 30 teams in the league now-every year all but one fall short of the ultimate goal. Even a team like chicago can go from 109 points to missing the playoffs the next year, as well as the canadians falling from 100 points to disaster in a year. Do people consider teams that make the playoffs but lose in round 1 or 2 as "bad"? Idk, perhaps we will be bad for several years. But for anyone to say that for 4 or 5 years "at least" is just crazy. We have a pretty good base, and as long as we stop signing over the hill vets to long ass deals think we will be back in the playoff hunt sooner rather than later. As long as our youth wave leads us there, ive got no problem with the idea of get in and see what happens.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

You just shift more towards future watching. That can be fun at times in terms of exciting young talent taking steps. In a lot of ways it is more fun to watch that then being middling at least for me, but I like prospects and the development angle of watching players more than most so it really might be just me.:laugh:

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
There's nothing magical about it. It's just that there's so many holes to fill it's more than likely going to take 5 or so drafts. Even for the Hawks they were bad for years before Kane and toews showed up. Keith was drafted I think in 02. Kane wasn't drafted until 07. Five years apart.
ok, so that is one team. What about the other 30 plus teams? How does this magical 5 year timeline work for them? The kings are a team that seem to make things work without going 5 years drafting to get their cups. Before the caps finally exercised their demons, it was pretty much a 3 team dynasty going, with the bruins being the only one to crash the party until you get back to us in 08. My hope is that with the decline of the hawks, and hopefully the decline of the crosby pens we will get some good parity in the league.

and what is actually funny is looking through the teams that lost, many teams that had rises and falls in that time period. Vegas (expansion team so kind of outlier), nashville, san jose, tampa, nyr, boston, devils, canucks, flyers, then finally us.
Ive made my point with my thoughts on there not being some set timeline that teams have to follow to be successful, as i do believe the idea of success is more than just winning a cup. If we ride our youth wave to multiple playoff seasons, that to me is a success regardless of whether we win cups each year. No point in beating a dead horse with this line of thinking so hopefully we can just talk a bit more about how our picks might fit in next season etc.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
You just shift more towards future watching. That can be fun at times in terms of exciting young talent taking steps. In a lot of ways it is more fun to watch that then being middling at least for me, but I like prospects and the development angle of watching players more than most so it really might be just me.:laugh:
Dont worry about it, some negative nancys here for sure haha. We have several youngsters who should be improving, and that will only help us moving forward. Our leading point scorer is 21 years old, and our leading scorer is 23-and both of them will more than likely improve on their numbers as larkin started slowly, and mantha had a very uneven year as well with regards to fitting in it seemed and his usage. Hopefully AA figures it out this upcoming year, and can really become a more all around threat. Add in us integrating youth with guys like bert last year, and little svech/ras this upcoming year and think we could be a very exciting team to watch. Plus we seem to be very close to getting a young group of d who can perhaps play a bit more like the modern nhl coming in with guys like hronek and cholo on the verge. God knows we should improve the more we get rid of our deadwood at Defense.

Now if holland goes all holland and signs green back and we start season with same damn defense as last year i will join the chorus of negative peeps and be pissed as hell haha.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Detroit do need a high end D prospect, thats what I think, but maybe one of them they got now will become.one, Im not a fortune teller.

I guess Zadina was to good to pass up on.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's just not worth it anymore.

We aren't going to agree...and that's fine. But if you're going to resort to name-calling and condescension, then I'll take a pass on anything further.
Name-calling? Where? Just saying drafting is much more complicated than finding an NHL comparable. Also Wings scout seem to see Veleno much more in the Larkin mold, which could be wrong but still makes your ”Nielsen vs. Vatanen” hypothethical invalid.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Next season will be bad. I know it. Same team. Too early to predict further than that.

But keep remembering how bad we are! Hope you get some positive energy about that!

I have no problem with a rebuild. I agree with the direction management is taking the team. I am at peace with life knowing the next five years are likely going to be the worse Red Wings hockey I've had to watch in my life.

What I have a problem with is people yelling and screaming for the past five years about how Ken Holland won't rebuild this team, and then when he finally does, they are sick of losing after one season and demand a complete turnaround after a single draft.

Reactions: NickH8

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Love the wings forwards:
1C: LARKIN: hes no matthews or tavares but something on the level of Kuznetsov, backstrom hell even a young Zetterberg. Hes a decent 1c

3 boarderline 1st line wingers: Zadina, rasmusseun, mantha

A good string of 2nd 3rd wingers: Svech, lil bert and Aa

Plus all the vetz

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Love the wings forwards:
1C: LARKIN: hes no matthews or tavares but something on the level of Kuznetsov, backstrom hell even a young Zetterberg. Hes a decent 1c

Plus all the vetz
The reason why people are complaining so much is that the current Wings' defense is a pile of garbage. An over payed Danny Dekeyser is our best D right now. We will not be good for the next couple seasons because of it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I guess Zadina was to good to pass up on.

I think he is. He's good enough I barely even thought about the Wings drafting him because I was convinced he'd be gone by 6. Zadina is a dynamic forward prospect in the same category as Marian Hossa. It's takes a tremendous amount of confidence in a defensive prospect to take him over a player like that.

For example, like in 1997 when the Canucks took big, right-handed defender Brad Ference at pick 10, passing on Hossa at pick 12. Whoops. Little trivia nugget: Dan Cleary was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks at pick 13. Hossa and Cleary would be united on the Wings for the 2008-2009 season before Hossa returned to, you guessed it, Chicago. The circle of draft!

Reactions: gbdet

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Love the wings forwards:

Plus all the vetz

Larkin is no where near Backstrom and almost guaranteed never to be near him, who cracked 100 points, something even Datsyuk didn't do. And As for Kuznetsov the playoffs he had also puts him a step above Larkin. He had over half of Larkin's production in just over a quarter of the games. Currently his closest comparable would be Toews and more likely a Toews-lite. Its this type of hyperbole that makes people not take fans on here seriously.

As for Zadina, and Ras, they both look like good first line wingers. Mantha is a great player to anchor a second line wing position.

Reactions: gbdet and Ulysses31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad