Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Lol all these people in here fine with this. Explain why? What does the bald dipshit do well that makes you trust him and be fine with us sinking another few years under his inability to adjust?

Reactions: MichaelJ

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Don't forget, just because the guy got an extension, doesn't mean he can't be fired at any time. AV was fired before his extension even started, I'm pretty sure Gerard Gallant was too, so was Bylsma a few years back in Pittsburgh.

Just because we extended him doesn't mean we have to keep him until the contract ends, it just means we have to pay him until the contract ends. I know, in before ''Well, ownership won't take the loss if he has time remaining! They're really cheap and they can't even afford to fuel up their helicopter!''.

Remember, DeBoer was extended and he was fired not even a half a season into his deal.

If I had to guess, Hynes probably has a 2 year deal after this and this was probably the last year of his deal, so I bet he's signed until 2021. MAYBE 2022, likely no longer than that. He was extended one year last season and he originally got a 3 year deal, so I bet he was a UFA coach after this year. So he's probably got 2-3 years with this. Doesn't mean he'll coach here for 2-3 more years.

The two biggest factors I think that are keeping him here are

1: Hall likes him and says he's the best coach he's ever had. If Hall decided not to re-sign here and Shero shipped him out, I think Hynes leash would get MUCH shorter.

2: The goaltending. Shero has went public already in stating goaltending is a big problem with this team (''What the hell is this guy is talking about?'').

I think that's what's keeping Hynes here. If we were getting pretty solid goaltending all year (Cory has lost us multiple games and Kinkaid probably has also, due to fatigue and overusage because Cory has been such a liability and almost unplayable) and if we were losing a lot of games, like the way we lost last night where the goalie played well, he'd probably be gone fairly quickly.

VERY true on no guarantee he can't be fired at any time, but likely not at any point next season unless the team really bottoms out because .....

They want/need to re-sign Hall. Extending Hynes is the first step in that process given Hall's apparent liking of Hynes which I don't believe is just lip service. When we were over in Sweden for the Global Series game, Hynes spent quite a bit of time with Hall's parents and it wasn't just idle chit-chat. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but IMO it plays into Hall truly liking playing under Hynes.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have no problem with it, but they could have picked a better time to announce it lol. I'm sure this has something to do with wanting to resign Hall, apparently he loves Hyney head.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, now this thread is going to reach it's peak.

source.gif

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
can we not with the Lou stuff today, please

Lou was awesome for this franchise for a long time and we are all grateful for him
Lou left this franchise in shambles at the end of his tenure

I don't get why this has to be some huge debate. Both of those things are true.
It is true but I wonder how much of a difference our owner at the time played in the matter.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Lol all these people in here fine with this. Explain why? What does the bald dip**** do well that makes you trust him and be fine with us sinking another few years under his inability to adjust?

i can’t speak for anyone else, but i’m not evaluating the guy in a vacuum. the roster he’s been working with has been flawed from his first game, so you can’t lay all the blame at his feet. he’s made some dumb decisions, what head coach hasn’t?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I have no problem with it, but they could have picked a better time to announce it lol. I'm sure this has something to do with wanting to resign Hall, apparently he loves Hyney head.

Well Hall can get ready to miss the playoffs the next few years with Hynes as his coach.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Everything he did in the past is great we all know that but the state the team was in when he handed it to Ray was ****ing putrid. I'll give you the ownership issue but he doesn't get a pass for the worst prospect pool in the league when he handed it over. Ray didn't pull any punches we we're equivalent to a expansion franchise.. an he wasn't wrong when he said that.
More B.S.

He left the team with tons of cap spaces...a 24 year old Henrique, a 21 year old Adam Larsson, a 20 year old Damon Severson, a 22 year old Jon Merrill, 25 year old Keith Kinkaid and Cory Schneider.

Before Lou left the prospect pool was Santini, Coleman, Quenneville, Wood, Blandisi, Boucher...their last draft was Zacha, Blackwood, Seney

That is about half of yesterday's starting team.

I am not sure why people won't acknowledge the role Parise and Kovalchuk played in this teams collapse.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It is true but I wonder how much of a difference our owner at the time played in the matter.
Lou had a high cap team in 13-14 but the team was a bunch of dinosaurs and project players. He has no excuse. Lou drove the franchise into the ground in an attempt to be a bubble team.

As for Hynes, I am meh on him. But next season should be put up or shut up from him because I assume Ray will be giving him an improved lineup.

Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
More B.S.

He left the team with tons of cap spaces...a 24 year old Henrique, a 21 year old Adam Larsson, a 20 year old Damon Severson, a 22 year old Jon Merrill, 25 year old Keith Kinkaid and Cory Schneider.

Before Lou left the prospect pool was Santini, Coleman, Quenneville, Wood, Blandisi, Boucher...their last draft was Zacha, Blackwood, Seney

I am not sure why people won't acknowledge the role Parise and Kovalchuk played in this teams collapse.
That bad.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
More B.S.

Would Parise have stayed If our owner wasn't broke? I still wonder about that

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Hynes and his pathetic staff are going to ruin Ty Smith with their shit defensive system.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Guess what?

Lou bringing overwhelming, legendary success to the franchise... and leaving it saddled with bad contracts and no direction... are not mutually exclusive!

You really can have both.
There was only 1 bad contract remaining when Shero took over and that was Cammalleri...and how bad the Cammalleri contract was is debatable...he did score 111 points in 171 games including 51 goals. (.65 PPG)

Lou got rid of most of the bad contracts and/or they expired before Shero took over. Lou also left a ton of picks when he left .

Lots of history rewriting going on up in here.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Lou had plenty of flaws towards the end but saying he left the organization in “shambles” is pure drama queen hyperbole. Meanwhile, on the Island, his team is in the playoff hunt while ours sits in the basement.

There are some things I like and don’t like about the post-Lou Devils. I like the forward group that’s been assembled (with the acknowledgement that a decent chunk of them were drafted under Lou). I like the speed and attacking element of their game. I like that we’ve gotten younger.

I don’t like that we now lack an organizational philosophy that contains real substance. I don’t like the seeming lack of interest in developing and acquiring players who play adequate defense. I don’t like this minor league coaching staff or the fact that the GM thinks they are worthy of being extended. And I don’t like our goal song (lol).

Lou’s biggest asset is that, for all his flaws, he still carries and instills a real substantive philosophy and team identity. This franchise has been missing that badly since he left. We are very much run like a cookie cutter organization, more in the mold of the penguins than the old devils. And as a long time fan I don’t feel comfortable with that. I fell in love with the team because of that gritty Jersey underdog team-first we-do-things-differently-around-here identity. I feel like Lou took that attitude with him and for me it was a valuable ingredient not just in terms of likability but also success on the ice.

I don’t get that sense of real unique identity with Shero and Hynes. What exactly has Hynes done to earn an extension? This move just makes me even more distrusting of Shero’s ability to build something the way Lou did.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad