Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Talk about oversimplifying what he has done.

Shero's plan has been the same all along. Yes, he has some screw ups, but overall what he has done, especially given what he started with, has been very good.

His screw-ups haven't even been egregious, honestly.

And he's batting damn near a thousand with his trades - he's only under depending on your opinion of Henrique/Vats. I personally have him at a thousand.

I'm a big Shero guy. But, as I said above, the ball is now officially in his court to give Hynes more talent and a more competitive roster.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
His screw-ups haven't even been egregious, honestly.

And he's batting damn near a thousand with his trades - he's only under depending on your opinion of Henrique/Vats. I personally have him at a thousand.

I'm a big Shero guy. But, as I said above, the ball is now officially in his court to give Hynes more talent and a more competitive roster.

He’s not batting a thousand. Mueller and Grabner have basically been zero trades at this point and MarJo till recently did nothing. Maybe they’ll at least get some of what they paid for him back at the deadline.

It would be nice to see some of the talent we do have playing in a more structured system but obviously that’s not happening for a while if ever.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
idk if Giordano would know where to be in our defensive zone...

Well, that's just a statement based on nothing.

I agree with you that the defensive system - or lack thereof - has been a head-scratcher for much of this year. The number of times the team has come out flat as Kansas is also concerning.

But then you also have to consider our defensive personnel - younger guys still developing and prone to mistakes, veterans playing above where they should be, veterans that are themselves prone to making mistakes, etc. And it's understandable for the team to look flat if they're deflated by a soft goal (or three) given up right away in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Plenty of question marks and concerns... but I'm willing to accept the extension and shift our focus to Shero, who now has to give "his coach" the right pieces for the "future success" he mentioned just 30 minutes ago.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bottom line is that Hynes was likely getting at least the start of next season and he was also likely a lame duck. I think Shero wanted to give him a shot with a better goalie situation and seeing what happens with Hall's situation looming.

If we had a better goalie situation (or even if we don't next year) and we have a similar record in December of next year, and Hall is either locked up or was traded because he wouldn't re-sign, I think Hynes is sacked.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He’s not batting a thousand. Mueller and Grabner have basically been zero trades at this point and MarJo till recently did nothing. Maybe they’ll at least get some of what they paid for him back at the deadline.

It would be nice to see some of the talent we do have playing in a more structured system but obviously that’s not happening for a while if ever.

Mueller is only a zero trade because Hynes isn't playing him; when he's in the lineup, he's visibly a difference maker.

The Johansson trade was a heist - 20+ goal, 45+ point guy for Florida's 2nd and Toronto's 3rd was brilliant. A top-6 forward acquired with house money. Johansson's injury problems were entirely unforeseeable (he only missed 10 games across his last 4 seasons in Washington), and should not be used to judge the trade in hindsight.

I conveniently forgot about the Grabner trade - for obvious reasons - so that's on me. He's still batting .950, factoring that in.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mueller not playing while he continue to suck in our zone is one of the biggest mysteries with Hynes.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Congrats to Coach Hynes and his family. Coaching is a tough profession with very little stability. This gives him some for a few years.

Trust The Process. Lets discuss the future, not the past.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I am a believer in Hynes he is a good coach.. people hated Pete Debeor too he took the team to the cup and did the same thing with sharks a few years later... most of us don't know what we are talking about.. to be fair .. I think stability is important and players seem to respect the man. I can live with this move. get him some better players

DeBoer is a good hockey coach. Not the greatest, but certainly not terrible either. He's a consistent coach, you know what you are going to get out of him and his systems are pretty sound in place. In hindsight, given some of those rosters the last year-year and a half he was here, more was gotten out of them than likely should have been. He did similar with his time in Florida was well.

There were games and situations I would have preferred to see some of the younger guys who were prospects at the time get a look and there were absolutely times where some veterans or other less skilled players were in spots in the lineup that they didn't necessarily belong in, but otherwise, as in most negative team situations he was just a part of the problem, not THE problem.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Mueller is only a zero trade because Hynes isn't playing him; when he's in the lineup, he's visibly a difference maker.

Be that as it may he's failed to hold onto a starting job two straight seasons, under a staff Shero just doubled down on. Beau Bennett was another not-so-great trade but ultimately insignificant. At least to his credit Shero isn't on the staff to automatically play guys he acquires like Mueller and Bennett.

Mueller not playing while he continue to suck in our zone is one of the biggest mysteries with Hynes.

Not all that much of a mystery, they favor vets and young guys that push the offense above young stay-at-home guys.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The responses to my post are hilarious. Cherry pick a couple of sentences while ignoring the overall message. One poster even going as far as implying some people are actually not really fans of the devils but rather fans of Lou. Bravo on that rather insulting but completely ignorant observation.

There are things to like about Lou (even in his final days) and thinks to dislike. Same for Shero. I outlined them. It doesn’t have to be “Lou all bad”, “Ray all good”.I know this kind of nuanced assessment is difficult for some to accept, but at least make an effort people.

I need to see some evidence that Shero is building something of substance long-term that entails more than just the acquisition of some good speedy forwards and stockpiling picks and a cute but ultimately meaningless team catchphrase. Until then I won’t fully buy into what he’s doing. Winning helps too and that ain’t happening much either.

It's not insulting - Lou was the franchise for over 2 decades and he did things his own way and that became the narrative around Lou. Look around the league - how many teams have this supposed 'identity' you're talking about? There's teams that win a lot, there's teams that don't, there's teams that are well-coached and teams that aren't - I don't see a lot of crowing about identity. Do Washington and Pittsburgh have identities? No, they have a bunch of really good players. Which by the way is also what the Devils had in the 90s and 00s.

'Some good speedy forwards' - he acquired the league MVP last season for an average defenseman. That gets overlooked here because of all of the building Shero has had to do besides, and the goaltending he inherited from Lou is breaking down sooner than expected, but people are holding him to an impossible standard - it's very easy to forget what dire straits this franchise was in when Shero took over in 2015 - while pining for the old days. It's not hard to see why.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not all that much of a mystery, they favor vets and young guys that push the offense above young stay-at-home guys.
Mueller has the 2nd best CF% (2nd highest CF/60 and 2nd lowest CA/60 as well) on the team behind only Butcher, so they can't be basing it off of that.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If Hynes isnt the problem according to Shero than the defensive coach needs to be immediately let go. Guys like Zajac who are defensive wizards look lost in our end...

I find it very hard to believe the talent is just not there and its not the system. Dallas scored four of their five goals IIRC from directly in front of the net...

LoktionovMVP

Nov 1, 2018
Being an Oiler fan it appears Hall probably wants two things. One is a quieter environment. He's mentioned before how nice it is not to be focused on as much as he was in Edmonton.

The other thing that I'm assuming he wants is to win. He's eligible to sign a contract extension on July 1st and might do so regardless of how this season goes. Simply because he can get a nice contract now and not have to worry about injuries hurting him. However, the Devils miss the playoffs this year and show no signs of improving next year then I can see him asking for a trade.

I don't know how you can say they show no signs of improving next year. The roster won't (And frankly, can't) be the same

Reactions: billingtons ghost

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Bottom line is that Hynes was likely getting at least the start of next season and he was also likely a lame duck. I think Shero wanted to give him a shot with a better goalie situation and seeing what happens with Hall's situation looming.

If we had a better goalie situation (or even if we don't next year) and we have a similar record in December of next year, and Hall is either locked up or was traded because he wouldn't re-sign, I think Hynes is sacked.

This has nothing to do with the goalies. If you look long term the guy hasn't been that bad. More importantly this is a bigger move for locking up hall as him and hynes have a good relationship.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hynes extended.

Three or 4 people go in circles about Lou.

grandpa-simpson-walking-in-and-out-gif-4.gif

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Well this shifts the pressure onto Shero. You think the coach isn't the problem? Then go out and acquire some upgrades on defense and goaltending over the next two years to show us we can sustainably win with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad