Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
idk, i'm indifferent on it. aren't really any better options out there who would choose NJ anyways.
I don't know that I'd say that. There is always someone out there.

You just have to actually look. Maybe there isn't much of a point of firing right now, but why extend a guy that has had struggles this year right now? Why not wait until the season is done?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He's a good hockey mind overall, says the right things, his players play hard for him.

He's gotten better with lineup and starting goalie decisions.

But, i think he needs to tweak his system, especially in the d-zone with defensemen following "their man" all the way up to the blue line.

Vats got confused and basically lost the game last night, probably due to the system.

It's up to Ray to give Hynes more talent to work with.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do think the organizational stability means a lot for keeping Hall. I didn't really believe there's danger of him walking in the first place, but he's been vocal about how much Shero and Hynes have meant to him and helped him.

Anyone who realistically thought either of these guys were on the hot seat in the first place was kidding themselves.
Being an Oiler fan it appears Hall probably wants two things. One is a quieter environment. He's mentioned before how nice it is not to be focused on as much as he was in Edmonton.

The other thing that I'm assuming he wants is to win. He's eligible to sign a contract extension on July 1st and might do so regardless of how this season goes. Simply because he can get a nice contract now and not have to worry about injuries hurting him. However, the Devils miss the playoffs this year and show no signs of improving next year then I can see him asking for a trade.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
No matter what side one stands on with regards to Hynes, just because he has been extended, doesn't mean he is immune to being removed before the deal is up.

Given the step back that has been taken this season, this off-season will be pretty clear cut out for management and coaching as to what needs to be improved on and if things don't improve to start next season after the first few months, then it is time to start seriously looking into making some more drastic changes.

Reactions: devilsblood

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
He's a good hockey mind overall, says the right things, his players play hard for him.

He's gotten better with lineup and starting goalie decisions.

But, i think he needs to tweak his system, especially in the d-zone with defensemen following "their man" all the way up to the blue line.

Vats got confused and basically lost the game last night, probably due to the system.

It's up to Ray to give Hynes more talent to work with.
im not sure I agree ...

We had 2 shots on goal half way through a hockey game last night which has to be some kind of record. The lack of compete was also addressed multiple times this year. It doesn’t seem like they play very hard for him at all

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
this summer is make or break IMO for both Hynes and Shero

We have nearly all of our key/young players up for an extension and we have all the cap space in the world.

Lets see what they can do with it.

This will either end ugly (see Philly) or Ray will get to work and restock the D and things will improve.

If it’s another year of pointing entirely to the youth not developing as planned Ray’s gonna get on the hot seat as he should imo.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I mean to the guys preaching stability, I agree. It is very important.

If you're a good team....we haven't been for the majority of Hynes tenure.

Reactions: GameSeven

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'm fine with this. I'm in this for the long haul. Trust the process. We the fans have *no idea* what goes on in the locker room or during practice.

I'm honestly indifferent about making the playoffs in the short term. Last year was a nice sugar rush for a few days, and then we got demolished in five games and it was over. Take the time to build a strong team and attack the playoffs for real.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I mean to the guys preaching stability, I agree. It is very important.

If you're a good team....we haven't been for the majority of Hynes tenure.

While true, I don't think it's fair to pin that on Hynes. That 15-16 team played way better than they should have, even if they weren't too good by season's end. 16-17 was pretty awful in the stretch run but there were clearly players that had to go, and management did that.

Are cracks showing this year? Of course. But there's plenty this team can improve upon. This is a pretty important offseason for the entire organization. This doesn't mean Hynes is bulletproof. But it's a sign of good faith that they're committed to this as part of the plan. And a pretty important player needs to be extended this summer.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Use this to convince Hall to re-sign. Then fire Hynes.

Realistically, since we’re stuck with him for the foreseeable future, at least fire the assistants.

Reactions: tr83

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think the way this team does basic things is conducive to winning the cup, let alone winning it multiple times.

But Hynes is the coach and this is a young team. I guess I can appreciate their commitment to the process and their unwillingness to throw it away because things haven't worked out for two months.

Reactions: devilsblood

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
are assistant coaches' contracts based on if the head coach sticks around? like, are they basically tied to the head coach? or are they on separate contracts

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No matter what side one stands on with regards to Hynes, just because he has been extended, doesn't mean he is immune to being removed before the deal is up.

Given the step back that has been taken this season, this off-season will be pretty clear cut out for management and coaching as to what needs to be improved on and if things don't improve to start next season after the first few months, then it is time to start seriously looking into making some more drastic changes.
I agree, especially with your first paragraph. But I think a multi year deal(unless it's a 2 year deal) means Hynes will still be our coach at the end of next season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure if this happens NEXT year (where we're in a similar situation to December of both 2016 and December of 2018) that goaltending or not, Hynes probably isn't gonna survive it. No matter how many years he was just extended, which I believe is only 2 or 3 after this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad