Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I do think the organizational stability means a lot for keeping Hall. I didn't really believe there's danger of him walking in the first place, but he's been vocal about how much Shero and Hynes have meant to him and helped him.

Anyone who realistically thought either of these guys were on the hot seat in the first place was kidding themselves.

Reactions: HBK27

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think he's good, but let's see what he does with a better goalie(s), The goalie situation makes him look worse than he really is, although it also made him look better than he really was in 15-16. He had one serviceable goalie and absolutely zero good games from anyone other than Kinkaid until the 20th of December or so? This doesn't mean he's good, it just means he might not be quite as bad as our record.

He's also done a really good job in deciding which goalie plays. He didn't go back to Kinkaid after Blackwood got the win in Boston and he's rolled him ever since (he might go back to Kinkaid next game though), he sat Cory last year when we needed every single point we got to get into the playoffs. He went back to Cory when Kinkaid's hot streak ended in the playoffs and he's really tried his hardest not to play Cory after it looking like he couldn't play anymore and yanked him when he looked like he sunk us against the Golden Knights a few weeks back. And you can't blame him for giving Cory a few starts because I don't think anybody knew he was gonna be this bad first of all and second of all, he couldn't play Kinkaid 70-80 games this year. So he's done a really good job with that.

Other than that? I don't think he's done a particularly great job at anything else, even if he hasn't done a particularly bad job.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Paging @Cult of Hynes

giphy.gif
he prob jumped out of his window

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Lot would never have rewarded such mediocrity with an extension.

I don't think Lou ever really a hired a coach to "grow with the team" the way Shero said he did with Hynes. The closest would probably be Ftorek who was the AHL coach for a bit of time too if I'm not mistaken, but after two early exits as the #1 seed and the team bottoming out for a 3rd year, he had to pull the trigger there.

Lou never really welcomed in a situation like this one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't forget, just because the guy got an extension, doesn't mean he can't be fired at any time. AV was fired before his extension even started, I'm pretty sure Gerard Gallant was too, so was Bylsma a few years back in Pittsburgh.

Just because we extended him doesn't mean we have to keep him until the contract ends, it just means we have to pay him until the contract ends. I know, in before ''Well, ownership won't take the loss if he has time remaining! They're really cheap and they can't even afford to fuel up their helicopter!''.

Remember, DeBoer was extended and he was fired not even a half a season into his deal.

If I had to guess, Hynes probably has a 2 year deal after this and this was probably the last year of his deal, so I bet he's signed until 2021. MAYBE 2022, likely no longer than that. He was extended one year last season and he originally got a 3 year deal, so I bet he was a UFA coach after this year. So he's probably got 2-3 years with this. Doesn't mean he'll coach here for 2-3 more years.

The two biggest factors I think that are keeping him here are

1: Hall likes him and says he's the best coach he's ever had. If Hall decided not to re-sign here and Shero shipped him out, I think Hynes leash would get MUCH shorter.

2: The goaltending. Shero has went public already in stating goaltending is a big problem with this team (''What the hell is this guy is talking about?'').

I think that's what's keeping Hynes here. If we were getting pretty solid goaltending all year (Cory has lost us multiple games and Kinkaid probably has also, due to fatigue and overusage because Cory has been such a liability and almost unplayable) and if we were losing a lot of games, like the way we lost last night where the goalie played well, he'd probably be gone fairly quickly.

Reactions: Maine Fan

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good move IMO - I know the fanbase is not happy with how this team in performing, but I think that Hynes is a good coach and I'm glad to see the extension.

Now it's on Shero to give him a better team to work with next season.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Joking aside, it's clear that Ray considers this part of the process and is hitching his wagon with Hynes.

But as a fan, you have to question the decision when there are SO many recurring breakdowns and seeming no-show performances... :help:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t think this is financial at all, except to the extent Shero is not going to pay a coach (re: Quenneville) more money than he himself is getting paid. Anything beyond that is strictly opinion.

Reactions: HBK27 and R8NJ

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Lou ran this team into the ground with years of piss poor drafting an signing aging over the hill vets yr after yr to try like hell to keep us relevant so let's not talk about what Lou would of done

Exactly...still have a ton of respect for Lou and everything he accomplished in NJ, but he left this team in awful shape. A rebuild should have started well before Shero came on board.

Ray inherited the oldest team in the league and one of the worse prospect pools. This was never going to be a quick turnaround.

Reactions: My3Sons

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
this summer is make or break IMO for both Hynes and Shero

We have nearly all of our key/young players up for an extension and we have all the cap space in the world.

Lets see what they can do with it

We should just wait for Zacha to finally be good :sarcasm:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don’t think this is financial at all, except to the extent Shero is not going to pay a coach (re: Quenneville) more money than he himself is getting paid. Anything beyond that is strictly opinion.

I have not seen anything yet that makes me question the owners' willingness to spend on this team.

They've certainly invested in the arena. No big free agents have left because of money. And just because Ray doesn't go nuts in UFA doesn't mean he doesn't have a green light to spend if it makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad