Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
There was only 1 bad contract remaining when Shero took over and that was Cammalleri...and how bad the Cammalleri contract was is debatable...he did score 111 points in 171 games including 51 goals.

Lou got rid of most of the bad contracts and/or they expired before Shero took over. Lou also left a ton of picks when he left .

Lots of history rewriting going on up in here.
Lou drove the franchise into the ground. Oldest team in the league, best prospect at the time was Boucher, no top line talent in the pipeline. Yes he did get some picks with trades like the Jagr trade but it was Shero who had to pull Palms and Hall out of a hat and lucked out with getting Nico. Without Nico this franchise would be years behind where they are now. So no Lou did not leave this team in a good spot.

And lol at the poster above talking about Lou and the Isles. Lou went to the Maple Leafs when they were trending up, Lou went to the Isles where there was a foundation. Shero came here with no foundation on a downward trend.

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lou had plenty of flaws towards the end but saying he left the organization in “shambles” is pure drama queen hyperbole. Meanwhile, on the Island, his team is in the playoff hunt while ours sits in the basement.

There are some things I like and don’t like about the post-Lou Devils. I like the forward group that’s been assembled (with the acknowledgement that a decent chunk of them were drafted under Lou). I like the speed and attacking element of their game. I like that we’ve gotten younger.

I don’t like that we now lack an organizational philosophy that contains real substance. I don’t like the seeming lack of interest in developing and acquiring players who play adequate defense. I don’t like this minor league coaching staff or the fact that the GM thinks they are worthy of being extended. And I don’t like our goal song (lol).

Lou’s biggest asset is that, for all his flaws, he still carries and instills a real substantive philosophy and team identity. This franchise has been missing that badly since he left. We are very much run like a cookie cutter organization, more in the mold of the penguins than the old devils. And as a long time fan I don’t feel comfortable with that. I fell in love with the team because of that gritty Jersey underdog team-first we-do-things-differently-around-here identity. I feel like Lou took that attitude with him and for me it was a valuable ingredient not just in terms of likability but also success on the ice.

I don’t get that sense of real unique identity with Shero and Hynes. What exactly has Hynes done to earn an extension? This move just makes me even more distrusting of Shero’s ability to build something the way Lou did.

the Islanders have 4 more ROW than the Devils do. Lets not act like they are some amazing team right now.

Lou absolutely left the organization in a bad place with the lack of quality players in the pipeline. I'm not really sure how you can debate that.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Lou has nothing to do with the Islanders play this year. Hiring Trotz is a no brainer. You hire available cup winning coaches, unless you're Ray Shero, in that case you ignore an available one and extend your dumb ass friend that coached for Pittsburghs farm team and should probably be back in the minors if he wants to be a head coach.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Some people are Lou fans and not Devils fans. I get it - the man was positioned as the franchise for 2 decades. But it's time to move on, and thankfully Shero has done so.

As for Hynes, this is a tough spot because I imagine if things were different free agency wise that he'd be thinking more about firing him - if Hall genuinely likes him, it's sort of impossible to fire him, given the timing of things.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Was this done to entice Hall to re-sign and then fire Hynes right after? Please make this be Shero's grand plan....pleeeeaaaaaase.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Would Parise have stayed If our owner wasn't broke? I still wonder about that

I wonder if he would've stayed if Lou had pushed harder a year before he became a free agent to get him signed to a long-term deal. Maybe some of that was restrictions Lou had because of ownership, but he also has a long track record of letting key players reach UFA status that's hard to ignore - Niedermayer, Parise, Rafalski, Gomez, Martin, Mogilny, Holik and others all left as UFA's for nothing. Even Kovalchuk hit the free agent market before signing the massive contract and we came very close to losing Elias to the Rangers.

I'm sure in several of these cases, if Lou had tried to lock these guys up earlier he could've gotten it done. That's my biggest problem with Lou - even if he overpaid some for a few of these guys we would've been better off. He allowed way too much talent to walk out the door.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Was this done to entice Hall to re-sign and then fire Hynes right after? Please make this be Shero's grand plan....pleeeeaaaaaase.
Probably not. Shero is just this f***ing stupid with bad head coaches.

I honeslty cant wait for him to be gone at this point as well now.

We're stuck with our Dan Bylsma because Shero is showing he did not get why he was fired in Pittsburgh.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Some people are Lou fans and not Devils fans. I get it - the man was positioned as the franchise for 2 decades. But it's time to move on, and thankfully Shero has done so.

As for Hynes, this is a tough spot because I imagine if things were different free agency wise that he'd be thinking more about firing him - if Hall genuinely likes him, it's sort of impossible to fire him, given the timing of things.

SPOT. ON.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Hynes gets an extension thread turns into (yet another) post-mortem on the Lou/Ray transition.

giphy.gif

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i don’t mind

ray needs to give this guy a better defense, and we need better goaltending.

the cultures good

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
What the ****?

I am a believer in Hynes he is a good coach.. people hated Pete Debeor too he took the team to the cup and did the same thing with sharks a few years later... most of us don't know what we are talking about.. to be fair .. I think stability is important and players seem to respect the man. I can live with this move. get him some better players

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The responses to my post are hilarious. Cherry pick a couple of sentences while ignoring the overall message. One poster even going as far as implying some people are actually not really fans of the devils but rather fans of Lou. Bravo on that rather insulting but completely ignorant observation.

There are things to like about Lou (even in his final days) and thinks to dislike. Same for Shero. I outlined them. It doesn’t have to be “Lou all bad”, “Ray all good”.I know this kind of nuanced assessment is difficult for some to accept, but at least make an effort people.

I need to see some evidence that Shero is building something of substance long-term that entails more than just the acquisition of some good speedy forwards and stockpiling picks and a cute but ultimately meaningless team catchphrase. Until then I won’t fully buy into what he’s doing. Winning helps too and that ain’t happening much either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
the situation that Shero was in in Pittsburgh is completely different than the situation that he inherited in NJ so I am not sure why the two keep being connected as if they are somehow the same thing

In a way it’s worse now, at least Shero had the excuse of Bylsma having won him a Cup to justify a long rope. Of course as long as the attitude here is going to be but cap space and but we’re younger/more entertaining and not actually about winning or structure there also won’t be pressure on Hynes. Shero really is tying his fate to his coach.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There are things to like about Lou (even in his final days) and thinks to dislike. Same for Shero. I outlined them. It doesn’t have to be “Lou all bad”, “Ray all good”.I know this kind of nuanced assessment is difficult for some to accept, but at least make an effort people.
The world may not be black and white, but this board is :sarcasm:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The responses to my post are hilarious. Cherry pick a couple of sentences while ignoring the overall message. One poster even going as far as implying some people are actually not really fans of the devils but rather fans of Lou. Bravo on that rather insulting but completely ignorant observation.

I need to see some evidence that Shero is building something of substance long-term that entails more than just the acquisition of some good speedy forwards and stockpiling picks and a cute but ultimately meaningless team catchphrase. Until then I won’t fully buy into what he’s doing. Winning helps too and that ain’t happening much either.

Talk about oversimplifying what he has done.

Shero's plan has been the same all along. Yes, he has some screw ups, but overall what he has done, especially given what he started with, has been very good.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

you build with defense.. unfortunately the devils when shero took over were so depleted of both F and D prospects and the league went to a speed and skill league really quickly.. none of which the devils had particularly after losing kovy and Parisi in their primes.. huge set back. lamariello was a great GM no doubt about it.. as in all legends in sports they needs some luck... Bill Belicheck lucked into Brady.. and LL lucked into Marty and Scott Stevens.. its just what it is ..

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well, by giving this vote of confidence to a coach that has made the playoffs once in his time here, Shero is officially putting the ball in his own court.

Especially with the "future success" line... it's now on Shero to give Hynes more talent and a more competitive roster.
If we're seeing the same things next year, then it's time Shero got more criticism, on top of Hynes.

I'm pretty confident that if we have another half season or December record like we did in 2016 and 2018, he'll probably be gone. Hynes that is, not Shero.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well, by giving this vote of confidence to a coach that has made the playoffs once in his time here, Shero is officially putting the ball in his own court.

Especially with the "future success" line... it's now on Shero to give Hynes more talent and a more competitive roster.
idk if Giordano would know where to be in our defensive zone...

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Hynes this year was sabotaged by bad goaltending... if we Blackwood type tending all year this team would be right in the thick of things.. lets see how they play and if they can make the season at least interesting from this point.. playoffs now are probably a long shot...so shero will and should unload 1 or 2 key vets.. to obtain some picks at the deadline.. I would retain zajac. if Andy Greene stock goes through roof from now until deadline and he fetches a late 1st rounder I'm in..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad