Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Where do you get your numbers? How do you constantly get them wrong? The Devils are 19th in power play percentage. Anyway the Devils are probably a few Brian Boyle tips to the good where they don't really deserve it - they're 6th from the bottom in shots/60 at 5v4 and their results in scoring chances and high danger scoring chances aren't any better. I don't think the Devils have great PP personnel but I'd like their underlying numbers to be better than they are - I don't think Kowalsky is doing a good job.
It was sorted low to high

2018-19 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Special Teams - National Hockey League - ESPN

Camille the Eel

The pace of the game has changed since last year across the league. We were in the first wave of “pedal to the floor, uptempo all the time” success last year, when we often outskated slower clubs, especially ones which didn’t pressure the puck.

But this year everyone is playing with full tilt pace.

And - ironically - we are in the position of trying to play a full tilt up tempo skating game with 4 or 5 defensemen who can’t skate with league proficiency and with goalies who aren’t able to bale them out. Our defense is slow and as a group skates very poorly. It’s a skating game and we suck at it.

These are basic skills. I liked what Will Butcher brought last year but the guy can’t skate to NHL standards. Neither can Lovejoy, Greene or Vatanen. Mueller seems to be brain dead. Gryba can’t skate when he makes a cameo appearance. We will never win with this lack of basic skill on the ice.

Reactions: devilsblood

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
The pace of the game has changed since last year across the league. We were in the first wave of “pedal to the floor, uptempo all the time” success last year, when we often outskated slower clubs, especially ones which didn’t pressure the puck.

And - ironically - we are in the position of trying to play a full tilt up tempo skating game with 4 or 5 defensemen who can’t skate with league proficiency and with goalies who aren’t able to bale them out. Our defense is slow and as a group skates very poorly. It’s a skating game and we suck at it.

These are basic skills. I liked what Will Butcher brought last year but the guy can’t skate to NHL standards. Neither can Lovejoy, Greene or Vatanen. Mueller seems to be brain dead. Gryba can’t skate when he makes a cameo appearance. We will never win with this lack of basic skill on the ice.

Butcher can move greatly in tight spaces and has some nifty moves at times to keep the puck in. He's not a fast skater but he is a good skater in tight spaces.

Reactions: mtnet

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I do not, and will not ever understand, how Butcher is first on half this board's shitlist. He's +1 at ES this season with this largely disastrous goaltending behind him and he's getting 2nd pairing minutes. He makes some mistakes sure, but he rarely is beat because of his speed and he makes a ton of smart outlet plays. He's the one guy on this defense that I for sure want to see here next season. Greene on the other hand is totally through at ES.

Reactions: Bleedred

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ehhh I don’t think the league changed. We simply aren’t playing as fast or effective as last year.

Breakouts aren’t smooth. Passing up ice isn’t smooth. Doesn’t matter how fast your skaters are if every pass is into the skates.

Reactions: Bleedred

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Ehhh I don’t think the league changed. We simply aren’t playing as fast or effective as last year.

Breakouts aren’t smooth. Passing up ice isn’t smooth. Doesn’t matter how fast your skaters are if every pass is into the skates.

Our breakouts are horrendous. Like you mention, we can't pass for shit. Every pass is behind the skater, in the skates, or is on edge.

I'd love to know our defense's pass % compared to the rest of the league. Having players that can make hard, crisp, accurate passes makes such a big difference. We have a handful and none of them are defensemen

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do not, and will not ever understand, how Butcher is first on half this board's ****list. He's +1 at ES this season with this largely disastrous goaltending behind him and he's getting 2nd pairing minutes. He makes some mistakes sure, but he rarely is beat because of his speed and he makes a ton of smart outlet plays. He's the one guy on this defense that I for sure want to see here next season. Greene on the other hand is totally through at ES.
I don't understand it either. I don't even see many noticeable mistakes he makes, other than his skating being poor. And it hasn't really hurt him too many times or caused many egregiously bad plays.

Greene has been looking pretty cooked for a while now. I do think he was exceeding my personal expectations through the first 40 games or so, but only because I expected him to look barely serviceable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad