Value of: Huberdeau

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Just curious: what would you be willing to pay for Huberdeau?

-LW 6’1 200lbs Turned 27 in June
-3 more years under contract at only 5.9per
-30g for 92pts in 82 games last season
-On pace for 27+g for 92+pts this season

returns can be structured in only one of two ways, either:

-Top pairing D (be conscious of age and remaining years)
-Top-4 D + 2nd line center (be conscious again of the same thing for both)

you can have multiple pieces in any deal, but they must be centered around either a top pairing D, or the combo package of a top-4 D and a 2nd line center

Most I'd go is:
Graves
Byram
Jost/bowers
1st
2nd (1st if they win the cup)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It has value but almost too much future base, we need a better NHL ready player than Graves coming back.

I was thinking that as well. Graves has one good season and the rest could all disappoint... even Byram. Huberdeau only has 3 years in term left though. Prime years yes but I think a better return is someone close to his age or younger.

What about this offer... Domi puts fans in the seats and can play center or be a puck possession winger. A much better NHL proven piece than Graves at this stage anyways. Considering that Huberdeau has a NMC, I think he would waive to go to Montreal and I wonder how this offer would measure up against other teams who he would be OK to waive the NMC as well.

- Domi
- 2021 1st (top 3 protection)
- One from... Poehling, Mete, Fleury, Brook, Norlinder, Harris
- 2020 2nd
- 2020 3rd

2020 1st, Suzuki, Romanov, Caufield, Kotkaniemi are not on the table. 2020 1st would be on the table if we magically beat the Pens.. that would be 16th. I might move Caufield or Kotkaniemi but the entire package changes

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Just curious: what would you be willing to pay for Huberdeau?

-LW 6’1 200lbs Turned 27 in June
-3 more years under contract at only 5.9per
-30g for 92pts in 82 games last season
-On pace for 27+g for 92+pts this season

returns can be structured in only one of two ways, either:

-Top pairing D (be conscious of age and remaining years)
-Top-4 D + 2nd line center (be conscious again of the same thing for both)

you can have multiple pieces in any deal, but they must be centered around either a top pairing D, or the combo package of a top-4 D and a 2nd line center

The only way a FLA does this is they get a 22-25 year old signed long term (4+ years) about the same cost or slightly more that has already put up 70+ which no team would trade. Lastly as D are at an extreme premium these days nobody is trading you a mid twenties top pairing D man.

Look Huby is a superstar, if he was playing in Toronto/MTL Chicago etc he would be one of the faces of the NHL. He is signed to a great contract for 3 more. You don’t trade superstars on great contracts.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I was thinking that as well. Graves has one good season and the rest could all disappoint... even Byram. Huberdeau only has 3 years in term left though. Prime years yes but I think a better return is someone close to his age or younger.

What about this offer... Domi puts fans in the seats and can play center or be a puck possession winger. A much better NHL proven piece than Graves at this stage anyways. Considering that Huberdeau has a NMC, I think he would waive to go to Montreal and I wonder how this offer would measure up against other teams who he would be OK to waive the NMC as well.

- Domi
- 2021 1st (top 3 protection)
- One from... Poehling, Mete, Fleury, Brook, Norlinder, Harris
- 2020 2nd
- 2020 3rd

2020 1st, Suzuki, Romanov, Caufield, Kotkaniemi are not on the table. 2020 1st would be on the table if we magically beat the Pens.. that would be 16th. I might move Caufield or Kotkaniemi but the entire package changes

That deal doesn't hurt MON enough in my opinion. Seems a lot of fans put Domi in proposals. You've taken away all the interesting bits.

Even the offer @draft day and I put together of Danault (handshake re-sign in place) + 9th + Brook still has me on the fence. Thats a lot more attractive then your Domi+++.

Just not a fan of Domi to be honest.
Danault is better option as 2C tucked behind Barkov. 9th overall gives options to draft a stud D/C prospect or flip 9th or our own pick (15th if we lose to NYI) in a package for a legit #3 D like Brodin+ prospect.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The only way a FLA does this is they get a 22-25 year old signed long term (4+ years) about the same cost or slightly more that has already put up 70+ which no team would trade. Lastly as D are at an extreme premium these days nobody is trading you a mid twenties top pairing D man.

Look Huby is a superstar, if he was playing in Toronto/MTL Chicago etc he would be one of the faces of the NHL. He is signed to a great contract for 3 more. You don’t trade superstars on great contracts.
Valid points. I’m not looking to trade him, just curious to see where his value is. Reference post #3 on what prompted me to make the thread.

an avalanche fan said he’d do girard, he’s 21 I believe? Depends on how deep a team is, I think you could get a D under 29yrs old for Huberdeau, just depends on who it is. Not looking for a #1 elite in his prime defenseman, but someone who can play on the top line longterm.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That deal doesn't hurt MON enough in my opinion. Seems a lot of fans put Domi in proposals. You've taken away all the interesting bits.

Even the offer @draft day and I put together of Danault (handshake re-sign in place) + 9th + Brook still has me on the fence. Thats a lot more attractive then your Domi+++.

Danault is better option as 2C tucked behind Barkov. 9th overall gives options to draft a stud D/C prospect or flip 9th or our own pick (15th if we lose to NYI) in a package for a legit #3 D like Brodin+ prospect.

Domi fits in terms of a young team controlled asset that is a proven NHL talent. If you don't want him, we can talk. I might include Caufield or Kotkaniemi but it's 3 years in term left with Huberdeau. He has great value but he also has a NMC. So if he has the Habs on the list and only a few others.... what you going to do? You would have no choice but to take the best offer from the list of teams right? That's the problem with NMC, it does affect his trade value to some degree.

We could talk Danault, Caufield, and 2021 1st (top 10 protection). A piece for each year Huberdeau has left. I might of overstretch myself but it's HF boards... you start low and people flip out :laugh:.

Problem with the Habs trading Danault is Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Domi are not mature centers yet. But hey, it's Huberdeau so if you say Danault+, we will listen

I doubt you get a young proven NHL talent like Danault or Domi and the 9th OA pick from anybody. Ask the Sabres... 8th OA and ???

The other thing to note is Danault likely gives you fits in the sign/trade negotiations. He probably likes it in Montreal and once we let you talk to him about a contract... he ask for more than you think. Unless the Habs lock him up before we trade him and not give him too much of a NTC... maybe 8 teams ish.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Valid points. I’m not looking to trade him, just curious to see where his value is. Reference post #3 on what prompted me to make the thread.

an avalanche fan said he’d do girard, he’s 21 I believe? Depends on how deep a team is, I think you could get a D under 29yrs old for Huberdeau, just depends on who it is. Not looking for a #1 elite in his prime defenseman, but someone who can play on the top line longterm.

I think the whole reason they are willing to part with Girard is size and who they have in the system. It’s easy if the rest of the D core is 6”2+ but to have a 5”9 D partnered with another undersized D would raise some serious red flags especially in the playoffs when you get pushed around.

I’d ask for a sever overpayment.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Domi fits in terms of a young team controlled asset that is a proven NHL talent. If you don't want him, we can talk. I might include Caufield or Kotkaniemi but it's 3 years in term left with Huberdeau. He has great value but he also has a NMC. So if he has the Habs on the list and only a few others.... what you going to do? You would have no choice but to take the best offer from the list of teams right? That's the problem with NMC, it does affect his trade value to some degree.

We could talk Danault, Caufield, and 2021 1st (top 10 protection). A piece for each year Huberdeau has left. I might of overstretch myself but it's HF boards... you start low and people flip out :laugh:.

Problem with the Habs trading Danault is Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Domi are not mature centers yet. But hey, it's Huberdeau so if you say Danault+, we will listen

I doubt you get a young proven NHL talent like Danault or Domi and the 9th OA pick from anybody. Ask the Sabres... 8th OA and ???

The other thing to note is Danault likely gives you fits in the sign/trade negotiations. He probably likes it in Montreal and once we let you talk to him about a contract... he ask for more than you think. Unless the Habs lock him up before we trade him and not give him too much of a NTC... maybe 8 teams ish.

Fair enough, don't think we will find common ground.
I get he has a NMC but as I said before, he's not gonna hold Tallon hostage and only allow 1-2 teams to be traded to.

I stand firm with the ask of a top 10 pick (6th to 10th) + 2C with with limited term who we re-sign + decent prospect.

Buffalo isn't really looking for a winger though, they more need a 2C. The options to move Huberdeau may be limited but we shouldn't just move him to move him, Tallon did that with Trocheck to send a message to the rest of the guys.

I’d ask for a sever overpayment.

Easy now, let's not get medieval on their ass :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair enough, don't think we will find common ground.
I get he has a NMC but as I said before, he's not gonna hold Tallon hostage and only allow 1-2 teams to be traded to.

I stand firm with the ask of a top 10 pick (6th to 10th) + 2C with with limited term who we re-sign + decent prospect.

Buffalo isn't really looking for a winger though, they more need a 2C. The options to move Huberdeau may be limited but we shouldn't just move him to move him, Tallon did that with Trocheck to send a message to the rest of the guys.

Easy now, let's not get medieval on their ass :sarcasm:

From the outside looking in... I don't think the Panthers rebuild. Can you move Yandle to free up money for Hoffman and Dadonov? That's the bigger question

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

This is his move. throw out a bunch of qualifiers like Huby may only accept a deal to MTL, then offer mostly quantity for quality. I have never seen him post a Panthers proposal that was close to acceptable from a Panthers point of view.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
From the outside looking in... I don't think the Panthers rebuild. Can you move Yandle to free up money for Hoffman and Dadonov? That's the bigger question

retained Yandle to MON for a 2nd + pick/prospect/Mete would be great

This is his move. throw out a bunch of qualifiers like Huby may only accept a deal to MTL, then offer mostly quantity for quality. I have never seen him post a Panthers proposal that was close to acceptable from a Panthers point of view.

These offers are better than the one they offered last year which I won't mention but I caught onto the tactic.

Reactions: Beezeral

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
retained Yandle to MON for a 2nd + pick/prospect/Mete would be great

These offers are better than the one they offered last year which I won't mention but I caught onto the tactic.

Think I rather go after Leddy. Price would be cheaper and Islanders in cap trouble as well. But I'm open to either of Leddy or Yandle. I just like Leddy's term and cap hit more. Leddy's puck moving can be more valuable to us on PP zone entries as well.

Habs have about $6M in cap space after we sign all our guys. Who knows, Bergevin might just stay put and maybe they have high hopes on Mete growing more.

Yandle would have to waive his NMC and the Panthers would also have to retain down to $4.5M. Habs can't afford to put our self's tight against the cap... we probably have to give Kovalcuk a $2M base contract plus incentives and we also have guys like Suzuki, Romanov, Kotkaniemi, Poehling who are still on ELC and could reach bonus targets.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

NMC factor in this case. And I'm not going to give you the high point in negations right from the beginning. Who was right about the Patch trade talk? Where almost every Panthers fan said no to Borgstrom+ and wanted the Habs to take the 15th pick and meh on top? I thought Borgstrom was the next Barkov?

Make fun of the Habs or my offer all you want.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Think I rather go after Leddy. Price would be cheaper and Islanders in cap trouble as well. But I'm open to either of Leddy or Yandle. I just like Leddy's term and cap hit more. Leddy's puck moving can be more valuable to us on PP zone entries as well.

Habs have about $6M in cap space after we sign all our guys. Who knows, Bergevin might just stay put and maybe they have high hopes on Mete growing more.

Yandle would have to waive his NMC and the Panthers would also have to retain down to $4.5M. Habs can't afford to put our self's tight against the cap... we probably have to give Kovalcuk a $2M base contract plus incentives and we also have guys like Suzuki, Romanov, Kotkaniemi, Poehling who are still on ELC and could reach bonus targets.

I'd retain Yandle down to $5 to 5.3 million to make it work.
Willing to sacrifice some production on the PP to get better defensively.

Leddy is a good option but he’s owed $13.5 million the final two years which I know doesn't mean much to the rich Habs but Yandle would only be owed $10.5 million the final three years with a million or so in retention.

Leddy's offense dried up a fair bit but that makes sense going from high octane Hawks to defensive monded Islanders.
Either way, we all know Habs need that puck moving LD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd retain Yandle down to $5 to 5.3 million to make it work.
Willing to sacrifice some production on the PP to get better defensively.

Leddy is a good option but he’s owed $13.5 million the final two years which I know doesn't mean much to the rich Habs but Yandle would only be owed $10.5 million the final three years with a million or so in retention.

Leddy's offense dried up a fair bit but that makes sense going from high octane Hawks to defensive monded Islanders.
Either way, we all know Habs need that puck moving LD.

We need more flexibility. Mete saves us about $1M - $1.5M cause he goes the other way but we want to sign Kovalchuk with performance bonus plus Romanov, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Fleury, Poehling are still on ELC and could hurt us if one or two of them bust out.

Leddy might cost us a 2nd and two 4th's and I would ask for $1M - $1.5M of retention. Whoever gives us the most cap flexibility in retention gets more attention. I thought we had more wiggle room with our cap but when I did more evaluation... It's tighter than I realized.

The bonuses you see below is $3.9M and does not factor in what Kovalchuk might get if he performs well. Habs need to be very careful with that cause we don't want to defer that to 21/22 cap. That would be a disaster with all the UFA's we got. Below is how it looks and it's a bit of guess work on Domi, Evans, Mete, Juulsen, Kovalchuk's contracts. We don't have as much cap space as it's perceived

7Vd709S.jpg

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It has value but almost too much future base, we need a better NHL ready player than Graves coming back.

I’m not sure if you can get a better deal than the AVs offer which is an overpay. Habs proposal is simply garbage.

You have to be a little more specific. Futures vs NHL Ready.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
NMC factor in this case.

NMC is a factor, but I highly doubt that we are going to end up in a situation where Huby will only accept a trade to 1 team. In this fictional world where the Panthers stupidly decide to float Huby's name around AND he tells them he will only waive for MTL, the simple answer is, "See you at training camp Huby".

And I'm not going to give you the high point in negations right from the beginning.
For like the millionth time. We aren't GMs on here. There isn't a negotiation going on. There is no call to the NHL coming if we agree on a deal. The purpose of this board is to discuss actual trades, legitimate trade rumors, or float ideas of potential trades that make sense for both teams. All you do by showing up with your random conditions and low ball offers is get people annoyed.

Who was right about the Patch trade talk? Where almost every Panthers fan said no to Borgstrom+ and wanted the Habs to take the 15th pick and meh on top? I thought Borgstrom was the next Barkov?

Make fun of the Habs or my offer all you want.
The Patches stuff absolutely worked out for the Habs. No argument from me. At the time Borgstrom as a prospect>>>Suzuki. Obviously those roles have swapped at this point. That's the nature of prospects. Some times they hit, more often they don't. I will still maintain that if you were going to trade Borgstrom at that point, they could and should have shot higher than Patches. The Panthers held on to Borgstrom and it clearly hasn't worked out for them. Good for the Habs that they ended up with a deal that worked for both them and the Golden Knights. Those kind of deals are rare and the Habs pulled it off.

Reactions: Patagonia

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NMC is a factor, but I highly doubt that we are going to end up in a situation where Huby will only accept a trade to 1 team. In this fictional world where the Panthers stupidly decide to float Huby's name around AND he tells them he will only waive for MTL, the simple answer is, "See you at training camp Huby".

For like the millionth time. We aren't GMs on here. There isn't a negotiation going on. There is no call to the NHL coming if we agree on a deal. The purpose of this board is to discuss actual trades, legitimate trade rumors, or float ideas of potential trades that make sense for both teams. All you do by showing up with your random conditions and low ball offers is get people annoyed.

The Patches stuff absolutely worked out for the Habs. No argument from me. At the time Borgstrom as a prospect>>>Suzuki. Obviously those roles have swapped at this point. That's the nature of prospects. Some times they hit, more often they don't. I will still maintain that if you were going to trade Borgstrom at that point, they could and should have shot higher than Patches. The Panthers held on to Borgstrom and it clearly hasn't worked out for them. Good for the Habs that they ended up with a deal that worked for both them and the Golden Knights. Those kind of deals are rare and the Habs pulled it off.

We agree the NMC is a factor. I actually doubt the Panthers trade Huberdeau

We are not the GM's but you are here on the trade boards talking about trade value.

Habs were not asking for too much for Patch... So the narrative you presented with us not offering much or asking for too much is flawed. Every team is guilty of the things you are accusing me or other Habs fans. I actually thing Mods should make it against the rules to make blanket statements against entire fan bases.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Most I'd go is:
Graves
Byram
Jost/bowers
1st
2nd (1st if they win the cup)
Huberdeau is going nowhere.

Saying that this is a smart well thought out trade proposal with lots of upside. If you are trading Huberdeau it is because your gm failed and you need to start over. You are not trading him for safe vets.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Berge: we like Huberdeau and his 1+ ppg average last 2 years.
Tallon: We'll he is going nowhere but for bleeps and giggles what are you offering.
Berge We'll first off you can't have any of these 6 players/picks
Tallon:

Reactions: Beezeral

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad