Value of: Huberdeau

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
9th overall + Domi for Huberdeau

How often has Domi played C the last couple years? 40-50% of the time?
Ekblad would have to sucker punch him to even the score.
I like Danault (he's played C more) over Domi to be honest, even with Domi's 72pt season

Nugent Hopkins + Russel + Puljujarvi + Bouchard

We don't need Russell.
RNH and Huberdeau's caphits are within 100k of each other.
this is probably the best offer I've seen so far.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I like Danault (he's played C more) over Domi to be honest, even with Domi's 72pt season

We don't need Russell.

last *couple* of years (2)? About 98% of the time. As awesome as Huberdeau is, I wouldn’t be comfortable doing Danault + 9th overall unless it’s a year from now and either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi has showed they can be consistent in a top 6 C role.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
last *couple* of years (2)? About 98% of the time. As awesome as Huberdeau is, I wouldn’t be comfortable doing Danault + 9th overall unless it’s a year from now and either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi has showed they can be consistent in a top 6 C role.

Wasn't being cheeky, generally didn't know, didn't realize it was that high.
Danault is the better all around player between the two in my opinion and gets a ton of ESP while being deployed mostly in the DZ.
I get the hesitation but think that's what FLA fans would be after, Huberdeau is 15th in points among all forwards the last 3 years. (239pts in 233 games)
We could possibly go after Drysdale/Perfetti and then Schneider if we miss out on Drysdale.

I think Suzuki is a lock for top 6, he had a real good season , 41 points as a rookie is real good production. (14 PP pts as well)
Kotka is a mystery package, definitely has a 2C floor at worst but could become a low end #1C but still has years to develop.

Domi
Suzuki
Kotka

is still decent for next year. Think you put Kotka as 3C because he seems more defensively wired so get him used to tougher matchups.
If you do re-sign Domi, what's his next deal look like?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Wasn't being cheeky, generally didn't know, didn't realize it was that high.
Danault is the better all around player between the two in my opinion and gets a ton of ESP while being deployed mostly in the DZ.
I get the hesitation but think that's what FLA fans would be after, Huberdeau is 15th in points among all forwards the last 3 years. (239pts in 233 games)
We could possibly go after Drysdale/Perfetti and then Schneider if we miss out on Drysdale.

I think Suzuki is a lock for top 6, he had a real good season , 41 points as a rookie is real good production. (14 PP pts as well)
Kotka is a mystery package, definitely has a 2C floor at worst but could become a low end #1C but still has years to develop.

Domi
Suzuki
Kotka

is still decent for next year. Think you put Kotka as 3C because he seems more defensively wired so get him used to tougher matchups.
If you do re-sign Domi, what's his next deal look like?

I know you weren't. Over the last two years, I think there was a stretch of 3 or 4 games where he played wing - Mostly because Danault, Suzuki and Kotakiemi were all healthy and Suzuki was performing well at C - and they switched him back to C after seeing he was more comfortable and productive at C (while switching Suzuki back to RW). Then Kotkaniemi was injured and sent down and all 3 C spots were taken by Danault, Suzuki and Domi.

I do agree with you where Danault is the better overall player. My biggest concern is none of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi or Domi being ready to take on the (absurd) defensive assignment Danault is currently being tasked with and having even a little bit a success. Eventually, I think both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will get there but I'm afraid that they're simply not ready yet.

I'm a big believer that you learn from the players (teammates) around you more than you learn from coaches or opponents. Crosby, Kane, Thornton, Toews being prime examples where it seems like almost every players that played with these guys reached their peak potential or at least very close to it. Obviously, Danault is no Crosby or Toews but I think both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi could learn a lot from him next year. If one of them step up his game, it will make things easier for us to include Danault in a trade.

I like the deal - Danault and 9th overall for Huberdeau. I think Huberdeau fill a need for us. I just don't like the timing. Ideally, this trade would be made at the 2021 draft but with one of the asset being the 2020 first round pick, I doubt this deal will be on the table next year.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

We don't need Russell.

I do not do the deal without Russel going the other way

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I know you weren't. Over the last two years, I think there was a stretch of 3 or 4 games where he played wing - Mostly because Danault, Suzuki and Kotakiemi were all healthy and Suzuki was performing well at C - and they switched him back to C after seeing he was more comfortable and productive at C (while switching Suzuki back to RW). Then Kotkaniemi was injured and sent down and all 3 C spots were taken by Danault, Suzuki and Domi.

I do agree with you where Danault is the better overall player. My biggest concern is none of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi or Domi being ready to take on the (absurd) defensive assignment Danault is currently being tasked with and having even a little bit a success. Eventually, I think both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will get there but I'm afraid that they're simply not ready yet.

I'm a big believer that you learn from the players (teammates) around you more than you learn from coaches or opponents. Crosby, Kane, Thornton, Toews being prime examples where it seems like almost every players that played with these guys reached their peak potential or at least very close to it. Obviously, Danault is no Crosby or Toews but I think both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi could learn a lot from him next year. If one of them step up his game, it will make things easier for us to include Danault in a trade.

I like the deal - Danault and 9th overall for Huberdeau. I think Huberdeau fill a need for us. I just don't like the timing. Ideally, this trade would be made at the 2021 draft but with one of the asset being the 2020 first round pick, I doubt this deal will be on the table next year.

It's gotta hurt both ways for a trade to work. We're giving away a legit PPG player with 3 years left @$5.9 million, there would be a bidding war for him if he was on the block.
Is next season another re-tool/build year or is it time to be a playoff team?
Timing is everything in life, I'm not 100% or even 50% interested in moving Huberdeau this off-season as we likely lose one of Dadonov/Hoffman so losing Huberdeau's production on top of 30ish goals/65-70pts isn't appealing but if we lose to NYI, Huberdeau has stated he is tired of losing so it may be time?

It would depend on who the prospect is you select with 9th overall and how well they perform if you do the deal next year.

:laugh: An elite 90 point winger for a smurf and the #9 pick Yeah this one truly takes the cake.

Danault is a sneaky good player 5 on 5. I don't love the deal but don't hate it either depending on who is available with 9th overall. I'd easily sign him to the Pageau deal end of next year, don't have to protect him in expansion draft as well with him being a UFA in 2021-22.

I do not do the deal without Russel going the other way

Fair enough, FLA isn't taking a cap dump for an elite PPG #1LW with 3 years left @$5.9 million.

Last edited:

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
It's gotta hurt both ways for a trade to work. We're giving away a legit PPG player with 3 years left @$5.9 million, there would be a bidding war for him if he was on the block.
Is next season another re-tool/build year or is it time to be a playoff team?
Timing is everything in life, I'm not 100% or even 50% interested in moving Huberdeau this off-season as we likely lose one of Dadonov/Hoffman so losing Huberdeau's production on top of 30ish goals/65-70pts isn't appealing but if we lose to NYI, Huberdeau has stated he is tired of losing so it may be time?

It would depend on who the prospect is you select with 9th overall and how well they perform if you do the deal next year.

Danault is a sneaky good player 5 on 5. I don't love the deal but don't hate it either depending on who is available with 9th overall. I'd easily sign him to the Pageau deal end of next year, don't have to protect him in expansion draft as well with him being a UFA in 2021-22.

Fair enough, FLA isn't taking a cap dump for an elite PPG #1LW with 3 years left @$5.9 million.

Do note the Russel deal is only 1 year left.
You get puljujarvi and Bouchard along with Nugent Hopkins

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This Hab fan would easily do Danault + 9th for Huberdeau.
I'm quite surprised that any Fla fan would accept that.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Its a brilliant plan to to trade a 80-90 point player for someone who can't play during a pandemic. Great strategy.

We aren't excited to move Huberdeau but he has expressed his frustration of losing.
The deal would be done in the off-season, not this year.

Do note the Russel deal is only 1 year left.
You get puljujarvi and Bouchard along with Nugent Hopkins

Weegar - Ekblad
Matheson - Stralman
Yandle - Brown/Priskie

we have no room for Russell, even with 50% retention.

3 years of Huberdeau VS one year of RNH, a decent RD prospect and a prospect who's requested to leave EDM.
What do you think RNH and Puljujarvi are worth individually?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This Hab fan would easily do Danault + 9th for Huberdeau.
I'm quite surprised that any Fla fan would accept that.

There may be some other pieces added from MON side but the base of it isn't brutal if we re-sign Danault.
I felt a top 10 pick (5th to 10th) OR #4D + a top 6C, preferably with 2 years of term was close in value for Huberdeau.

What should we expect? two top 10 picks + 2C or #3-4D + really good prospect?

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Puljujarvi will play in Edmonton if that's his only option. I'm sure he would love Florida.
Nuge is a heart and soul guy, if a team shows commitment to him, he will sign with them. He is loyal.
Nuge is worth a first with 1 year left, puljujarvi is worth at the very minimum, a second round pick.
Russel is a good depth d man that can play both sides. Bouchard is one of the best RHD prospects in the game.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Nugent Hopkins + Russel + Puljujarvi + Bouchard

This is too much. While Huberdeau is an offensively better player than Nuge, you're essentially replacing his productivity while adding in JP and Bouchard.

I'd prefer to try and do something around Nurse, but the lack of 2C as requested in the OP takes us out. Unless we can work out something like Nurse, plus futures.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Curious to hear from a devils fan: if Rossi fell to 7th would you trade 7th and 10th for Huberdeau?

I would not.

Not to say that the value isn't there, but trading for a 27 year old winger isn't in the best interest of the Devils for where they stand organizationally.

Rather pick the best F and D available at those slots and keep building

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Why would Fla move a core player in his prime, after bringing in Bob and coach Q, which were win now/soon moves.
Contenders have multiple top guys.
Moving Hub seems illogical to me. Use other assets to fill need.

Honest question - what's the point of this reply?
I think we all know how unlikely it is. OP asks: Just curious: what would you be willing to pay for Huberdeau?

People love jumping on their high horse and soapboxing for likes and in the meantime, prove they can't even read.

I think Huberdeau could a pretty huge return.

From the Islanders, I would be willing to give up Dobson+Nelson+.
From the Leafs, I would be willing to give up less because we do not need a winger. If a D was included, the package would be much bigger.

I wonder if a sleeper team like Tampa could move in with a Sergachev/Cirelli+salary type package...

Reactions: FrolikFan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad